watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Danny Murphy on talksport

Started by charlieFFC, September 16, 2019, 10:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieFFC

Danny Murphy commenting on Arsenal's philosophy of playing it out from the back not always the right choice as they failed to beat Watford over the weekend.

He talks about his time at Fulham and how he would fall back to the edge of the box to pick up the ball when we played this style but also how Schwarzer would say at times to just get rid.

In our current context I do feel like we need Cairney to come deep and get the ball and not fear getting rid at times. We all agree our defence (particularly CBs / GK) are our weakest area yet we literally are relying on them not only to not conceded but to pull all the strings.

How many times did Mawson and Ream attempt lofted balls which just went out of play.

All for holding the ball but surely get the ball to the people who feel comfortable with it.

RaySmith

Once Cairney hoofed a loose ball up the field  when under sustained pressure, which i thought was good - good that our players feel that they can resort to this if necessary.

Ream often seems to bring the ball out of defence now to start an attack, must be told to do this, and seems   quite good at this, but it did lead to him being out of position  at  Cardiff when they counter attacked quickly, through dispossessing  Cavaliero, and a  killer pass, but that's the risk you take, but it seems a god tactic, I think.

I think our defenders are  doing well generally  with the possession style, and according to SP, it was  abandoning this  in the latter part of the second half that encouraged  WBA pressure, and led to us conceding.

charlieFFC

Quote from: RaySmith on September 16, 2019, 10:56:41 AM
Once Cairney hoofed a loose ball up the field  when under sustained pressure, which i thought was good - good that our players feel that they can resort to this if necessary.

Ream often seems to bring the ball out of defence now to start an attack, must be told to do this, and seems   quite good at this, but it did lead to him being out of position  at  Cardiff when they counter attacked quickly, through dispossessing  Cavaliero, and a  killer pass, but that's the risk you take, but it seems a god tactic, I think.

I think our defenders are  doing well generally  with the possession style, and according to SP, it was  abandoning this  in the latter part of the second half that encouraged  WBA pressure, and led to us conceding.

I think the defence are also doing an alright job and generally seem to be improving I just hope the midfielders take a bit more initiative and drop back to pick up the ball. I worry that Sess as a youngster doesn't have the approval to get rid if necessary and losing the ball in dangerous positions is knocking his confidence.

They are definitely being instructed to not get rid at all which is fine but it definitely needs tweaking in my opinion

General

Seems like a sensible alternative comment from Murphy. Why not have out midfield collect the ball and start the play. Makes more sense then our back four just passing it along their line repeatedly waiting for a solution.

toshes mate

The new rule introduces many more options for teams to exploit.  Since the change I have seen decoy movement suggesting a short passes when the actual kick has been over the top of everyone to a player who was in his own half at the time of the kick but has gained several metres on the nearest defender when the ball reaches them.  I have been disappointed with our set pieces this season across the board and I certainly think they can be a lot more creativity and thought put into all of them.  Corners, Throw-ins, Free kicks, Goal kicks are all opportunities to do something different every time.  Why we cannot get corners right is beyond me.  You may only get away with a variation once but that is all you need. 

Milo

Cairney noticeably being played further upfield. It's Arter/Reed that is now collecting the ball from the back.

Skatzoffc

Personally I would rather the defenders don't bring the ball out themselves. It cost us the most goals last season. I would rather pass it around the back then give it to Reed, Arter or Cairney to try a killer through ball or a loft over the top to either wing. If it goes out at least it's not a breakaway for the opposing team.

If we are going to kick long, which I think works to mix up play,  then a signal needs to be given to the wide men to pull in for the knockdown from Mitro, otherwise he has no out ball.

It's not rocket science, but we can't play out from the back for the full 90 imo.
Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !