News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I hope Fulham practice taking corner kicks.

Started by The Swan, September 16, 2019, 08:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Our corner kicks are a waste of time. We often can't clear the first defender.

We need someone  who can get the ball into the penalty area every time. We have a few big players who could make a difference if only

the ball was delivered correctly. When West Brom hit the corner that they scored from I could not believe that Betts failed to catch the ball or at least punch it well clear. Come on Scotty get our corner kick takers to practice , practice and more practice.
The Swan

Matt10

I know we need him for recovery, but my goodness would it be a terrible idea to have Bryan whip in the corners? Would love to see it.

grandad

I don´t know why we bother with long corners. For us they are a waste of time.Better to take short ones & keep possession.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Milo

Well hang on we have Mitrovic! Long corners should be a real asset. But both Knockaert and Cav couldn't clear the first defender on 6 or 7 out of 13 crosses.

Agree need to practice this week!

jarv

I am over 70 and can still clear the first defender when I coach the kids.

hovewhite

Quote from: jarv on September 17, 2019, 12:07:15 AM
I am over 70 and can still clear the first defender when I coach the kids.
you better get down to MP quick 😀

toshes mate

As mentioned elsewhere in multi-threads (see M&T's OP) we need better creative thought to how we take corners and other set pieces.  You work on ideas and vary according to the tactics of the opposition.  We seem to be too damned predictable, IMHO. You either favour high possession retention or the ability to exploit the set piece to the fullest amount, but you cannot keep doing the same failing thing every time because that is futile.

gang

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: gang on September 17, 2019, 03:03:24 PM
I wish we practiced defending corners.

Set pieces in general are crap.    Can't consistently clear the first man when we take our corners, and we can't mark players when we concede corners.   This is a problem that goes back to last season when we had Seri taking our corners.     

Whose coaching set pieces?   He's not earning his paycheck.

Twig

Agree with most on here. Corners are poor and other dead ball kicks not much better. Our defence of the same has been shaky. Coaches should be focusing on this.

mrmicawbers

Agreed we have been crap at corners for as long as I can remember

gang

Perhaps we should take a lesson from Tosh Chamberlain and hit the ball so hard that it hits the defender and then from the rebound shoot.

Stevieboy

I would have thought that professional footballers on @60k+ a week would know how to take corners.
I've seen Sunday morning teams deliver consistently dangerous corners.
I think they are over thinking it, hit it hard into the box and see what happens, can't be worse than losing possession when all our players are up.

jayffc

Ive wondered this for a while. We seem to have been crap from corners for yonks. Not clearing the first defender being the common thread.

I notice there is a pretty steep hill at craven cottage up to the corner spot. Does this effect the shape of the body so much that it makes getting elevation difficult? Genuine question. Not all grounds have the same slope so Id be interested to see some stats on home and away stats for corners that clear the first defender and see if theres any correlation with craven cottage pitch being a factor.

Again. Might be completely wrong but it does seem odd that its been a problem for ages!