watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

France have voted to scrap the league cup

Started by Jurassic Parker, September 19, 2019, 04:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jurassic Parker

No one even bid for the broadcasting rights, they all seem to agree they don't care.

What do you guys think if that happened here? I'm never sure where anyone stands on the league cup, obviously the top 6 see it as a distraction but for the rest of us peasants its nice to try and win something?

Roberty

Even the Peasant are revolting - which club put out a full strength team - if there was one it will be because that was all of the players they had.

No one takes it seriously until the last 8, so we may as well have a lottery draw to decide who they will be
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Andy S

Who would lose sleep over it? I won't go and watch hour second team play as I don't live around the corner. It is no luck Nigeria a test it is a non event. It does however provide income to the lower clubs.

Lighthouse

Sad but time we did away with it as well. No  enthusiasm for it at all now. There is just too much football as it is. Too many European games and Internationals and the importance of the league has made the League Cup a reserve competition.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Russianrob

Two Ton Ted

League Cup for clubs in Championship, League 1 and League2. No European place. No Premiership.

Abolish the League Members Trophy (r whatever it's called this week) too.

Job's a good 'un.

Never ever bloody anything ever.

Nero

How can the French vote to scrap our league cup, bloody EU  :hook:

Jamie88

I like it. More matches the merrier for me, even when sides field weak teams. Just a shame we can't get further than the third round. I also like the fact that it offers a Europa League spot

bog

I think we should keep it. The big clubs have killed this tournament and other prioritise attempting to stay in the Premier League. The FA Cup has also been down valued likewise, the way the suits want it there would be a full on European League with none of this cup nonsense. Sod em!  :031: And we scored the first ever goal in the League Cup. Maurice Cook down at Eastville.

I am annoyed when we field a yoof side, I would like to have a run in any cups, it is not all about the league. 

092.gif     

hovewhite

Twig

Couldn't care less about it.  By scrapping it, the cup focus would be solely on the FA Cup which could help it's profile.

hovewhite

The bigger picture on this by PL club managers they don't take it seriously,hence make it EFL only as a Wembley trip is always wanted.

Woolly Mammoth

Just because the French want to put their head in the oven, we do not have to follow suit. When the French capitulated and surrendered when the Germans crossed the Rhine in 1940. Did we follow suit ? No we did not. Keep our Cups, it provides extra income for the teams lower down in the pyramid of the League, and aspirations of glorious victory.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jamie88

Yes, as has been mentioned it should be for the EFL only, after all it is now called the EFL Cup when it's not mentioned by its various sponsorship names

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 20, 2019, 01:45:04 PM
Just because the French want to put their head in the oven, we do not have to follow suit. When the French capitulated and surrendered when the Germans crossed the Rhine in 1940. Did we follow suit ? No we did not. Keep our Cups, it provides extra income for the teams lower down in the pyramid of the League, and aspirations of glorious victory.

What on earth has WWII history gt to do with this?  If you think the schedule for EFL clubs is fine then ok, the cup generates a bit of revenue (not much as the TV rights don't sell for big bucks). However I think the schedule is overcrowded and would benefit from the termination of what os a second class cup.

Jim©

What is Wooly M on about? The OP hasn't said that we should follow suit, instead points to the lack of interest from french TV and what would happen if we scrapped it here.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on September 20, 2019, 03:09:53 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on September 20, 2019, 01:45:04 PM

What on earth has WWII history gt to do with this?  If you think the schedule for EFL clubs is fine then ok, the cup generates a bit of revenue (not much as the TV rights don't sell for big bucks). However I think the schedule is overcrowded and would benefit from the termination of what os a second class cup.

It's a courtesy history lesson in case anyone wasn't paying attention at school. I can go as far back as Agincourt 1415 if you wish.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jim© on September 20, 2019, 03:44:14 PM
What is Wooly M on about? The OP hasn't said that we should follow suit, instead points to the lack of interest from french TV and what would happen if we scrapped it here.

I did not explain myself properly, my apologies, I was not necessarily referring to the OP. He is innocent of all charges. Part of my point is that despite what Sky Tv try and indoctrinate Football Supporters, Football does not begin or end with the Top 6 of the Premier League or the Premier League itself. There is a football life further down the football pyramid, from the Championship down to Division 2, and beyond that the football pyramid further down. So the League Cup is an avenue for smaller clubs to seek aspirations to achieve glory extra income and who knows where they can end up. That's the magic  of the cup which does not appear to be shared as enthusiastically in Europe as it is in England.
The other point I shall save for a rainy day.

Never forget your Roots.

MikeCdawg

What would happen to the allocated Europa league spot for the winners who may be from outside the top 6. Would it be 7th place gets it?

filham

Just look at the attendance figures, I think we have spoken with our feet.