Who should be dropped?

Started by JoelH5, September 24, 2019, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you drop?

Cavaleiro
Knockaert
Other

David Allen Crankshaw

Abandon the idea of playing inverted wingers then we might have more balls crossed into the box. A left-footed player on the left and a right-footed player on the right.

YankeeJim

Perhaps a 4-4-2. Mitro up top with Reid running about. Have Cav and Knocks looking for the cross rather than always cutting in. This should spread the defense which might open some more thru balls for Carney and reduce the double teaming on Mitro. Has anyone else noticed that when the opponent counters, Cav and Knocks are seldom back on defense?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

LittleErn

Worcesterwhite

It's not the players it's the tactics, we need to get our full backs overlapping and balls into the box, this will inturn create space all over the pitch by stretching teams rather than playing infront of them which most are comfortable with

Jims Dentist

A good result against Wigan is possible and may mask our current problems for a while, but they will likely resurface.

Jims Dentist

Other things aside, I feel our wide forwards need to swop sides more consistantly.
Knocky seems comfortably both sides, but Cav looks lost and ineffective on the left.
After his two goals early on when he cut inside and scored with his right, the opposition have recognised the danger and planned against it.
Also he does not seem to have the speed to get passed defenders, when on a break having to wait for TC or Bryan to join him to keep the attack going or to not lose possession, by which time it is too late.
Against the better teams this seems a real problem.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Whitestone on September 25, 2019, 06:55:30 AM
I don't think it's a personnel issue but more about style of play. At the moment our possession based game is too slow and ponderous. We seem to take forever to move the ball from back to front by which time the opposition are settled into their defensive shape and become difficult to break down. We have the attacking players to rip up this division if utilised correctly, if we attacked with more tempo and pace.
Agree

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

The Rational Fan

Quote from: JoelH5 on September 24, 2019, 11:45:56 PM

If so, who would you drop?

It is a mistake to ask "who should we drop?" unless someone is on the sidelines that commands a place you shouldn't drop anyone, unless things are dire.

The questions we should we asking are "who deserves a start?" and "who should make way for them?".

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 26, 2019, 12:34:09 PM

It is a mistake to ask "who should we drop?" unless someone is on the sidelines that commands a place you shouldn't drop anyone, unless things are dire.

The questions we should we asking are "who deserves a start?" and "who should make way for them?".

Not necessarily, no. Otherwise teams would never change their first eleven. If things aren't working, you look at your options.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on September 26, 2019, 05:01:21 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 26, 2019, 12:34:09 PM

Not necessarily, no. Otherwise teams would never change their first eleven. If things aren't working, you look at your options.

If things are working or aren't working, a manager should look at his options. Alex Ferguson changed his first XI when things were working, but he thought they could do better.

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on September 27, 2019, 01:37:51 AM
If things are working or aren't working, a manager should look at his options. Alex Ferguson changed his first XI when things were working, but he thought they could do better.
I agree with this proposition because 'working' can mean 'okay, but not at best'.  I think the conundrum for SP is that when the team has 'worked' this season it has varied from very good to not so good within an individual game, and the drop off has been the cause of us leaking goals.  Even against Barnsley and Forest there were good signs but they were simply not good enough to score goals and win games as required.  SJ would tend to pick his best or most consistent players as a core and make changes at the margins but I am not sure SP knows his best eleven yet; perhaps on paper but not in terms of required outcomes.  If I were to change anything for tonight it would be to squeeze Johansen into midfield somehow and push the full backs up the pitch but only on one side at a time so that the other can step inside and cover space with Mawson, Ream and the nominated defensive midfielder.  Four players should be enough to slow down any kind of counter.

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on September 25, 2019, 04:45:21 PM
We don't seem to be scoring as much of late. Personally I think Bobby Reid should come in.

Bobby Reid is already playing isn't he? I don't think players is the problem necessarily, we need to tweak the tactics. Full backs given licence to go forward but not at the same time, one staying behind so we don't get done on the counter. Wingers to switch if cutting inside doesn't work. More balls in the box to Mitro.

I think we are going to have to accept that teams will sit deep against us and thus the passing between centre backs will happen, but we need to have more movement off the ball and fluidity.

:plus one:
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !