more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 27/09/19...

Started by WhiteJC, September 27, 2019, 08:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham's Harvey Elliott compensation demands revealed

Fulham want Liverpool to pay them £7million in compensation for Harvey Elliott, according to Paul Joyce of the Times.

Elliott joined the Reds over the summer after rejecting a scholarship offer from the relegated Cottagers.

But no fee was agreed at the time and Joyce says there are no negotiations currently taking place.

It's likely that the amount we have to pay will be decided by the Professional Football Compensation Committee.

This may remind Reds of the recent dispute with Chelsea over Dominic Solanke.

According to the Echo, the Blues wanted £10million but Liverpool only intended to pay £3million, with the sum decided via tribunal around a year after he joined.

On the very early evidence, even the maximum £7million fee for Elliott could eventually prove to be a bargain.

The winger has earned plenty of praise, and generated considerable excitement, after shining on his competitive debut against MK Dons.

https://www.empireofthekop.com/2019/09/26/fulhams-harvey-elliott-compensation-demands-revealed/

WhiteJC

Early Team News | Fulham v Wigan Athletic

Sky Bet Championship Team News | Fulham v Latics.
    Anthony Pilkington, Gary Roberts and Josh Windass all return to training.
    Tom Pearce the only member of Latics' squad out injured.

Wigan Athletic

Paul Cook was given a triple injury boost this week, with Anthony Pilkington, Gary Roberts and Josh Windass all returning to training on Wednesday morning. The trio are still in their early stages of sessions out on the grass, with the gaffer explaining...

"Pilks, Josh and Gary Roberts all came back on Wednesday, but they've only been back for a day, so I doubt they'll be ready for the game.

"We're almost in a position now where we've got a fully fit squad, with the exception of Tom Pearce who's still recovering from his back injury.

"With regards Friday night, we want continuity in our team, lads must be fit and ready to fight for a place and then fight to hold onto their place once they're in the team."

Fulham

Our hosts had a clean bill of health heading into last weekend's 1-1 draw against Sheffield Wednesday and it looks like they're squad came through unscathed, with a fully fit squad to choose from.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2019/september/Early-Team-News-Fulham-v-Wigan-Athletic/

WhiteJC

Free Shirt Printing

Purchase any 2019/20 replica shirt before 11.59pm on Sunday 29th September and complete the look with FREE SHIRT PRINTING.

Personalise your shirt with any name or number, with this special offer available for free (RRP £12) when you buy a Home, Away or Goalkeeper Shirt this weekend.

Will you choose from the likes of Anthony Knockaert, Tom Cairney or Aleksander Mitrović, or stand out with your own name?

Take advantage of this offer by securing your shirt online or from the Stadium Store at Craven Cottage.

Available on all adult and junior shirts until 11.59pm on Sunday 29th September. Sleeve badges excluded. 2 numbers and 15 letters maximum on own name.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/september/26/free-shirt-printing

WhiteJC

'Beyond his years' - Ex-Liverpool defender delivers verdict on former Fulham star Harvey Elliott

The former Fulham teenager started a game for Liverpool for the first time against MK Dons in the Carabao Cup

He may not have scored, but former Fulham teenager Harvey Elliott's debut performance against Liverpool has been described as "superb" by an ex-Reds defender.

Elliott became the youngest player to ever start a game for Liverpool as he was handed an opportunity from the start against Milton Keynes Dons in the Carabao Cup third round last night (Wednesday).

It was exactly one year on from his professional debut for Fulham , which also came in the Carabao Cup as he came off the bench against Millwall to become the club's youngest ever player and the youngest to feature in the history of the competition.

And Elliott did not let Jurgen Klopp down on his bow for Liverpool, with the 16-year-old causing problems for the League One side as he went close on a couple of occasions to finding the net, only to be denied by the crossbar on two separate occasions.

But while he should have scored from close range when he struck the woodwork for the first time, former Liverpool defender Stephen Warnock was full of praise for the teenager, describing his performance as "brilliant."

"He was superb. For 16 years old, he was beyond his years. He has a calmness and a maturity. Most players might buckle after hitting the crossbar from close range, thinking it might not be his night and what a bad miss that was," he said, speaking on the Carabao Cup highlights programme on Quest.

"But not Harvey Elliott. The quality of pass here to James Milner, who should do better and should score.

"Everything that Liverpool did, he was at the heart of.

"I also think Curtis Jones played very well, but when you think of a 16-year-old making his first competitive start for Liverpool, it was a brilliant performance."

https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/liverpool-verdict-harvey-elliott-debut-16984696

WhiteJC

'Believe in the process' – Fulham fan pundit sends message to fellow fans after mixed start to season

This article is part of Football League World's 'Regular Punter' series, where we gather original opinions from select, passionate fans of the clubs concerned on matters surrounding their team and share them with a wider audience...

Football League World's Fulham fan pundit David Gadd has suggested that the club can still finish in the top two if the supporters "believe in the process" and back manager Scott Parker.

Fulham appear to be carrying a bit of a relegation hangover after dropping out of the Premier League last season.

The West London club have got arguably one of the finest squads in the division but sit 11th in the league table after the first eight games.

Gadd indicated he feels the start to the season has been neither the best nor the worst but is optimistic looking ahead.

He said: "There's still a long way to go and we can't get too worried or ahead of ourselves yet.

"We've just got to keep playing the way we have and results will come. We have just got to be as positive as we can."

Gadd identified the final third as the area that is letting the Whites down at the moment.

He explained: "I think the thing that needs to improve the most is goalscoring. We just aren't scoring enough goals to win games.

"We have got arguably the best attack in the league but if we're not converting chances then we aren't going to win games or turn those draws into wins."

Despite a shaky start, Fulham are only three points shy of the top six and five points away from the top two, and Gadd revealed he remains positive about their chances of promotion.

He said: "My aspirations still are top two–we can do it.

"I think last season, Norwich were in the bottom half after their first eight games and they won the league, so it is doable.

"We just need to win games and be the force that I know we can be.

"The fan base just need to believe in Scott Parker and what he's doing. Believe in the process and we can still have a very positive season."

Fulham welcome Wigan Athletic to Craven Cottage tomorrow evening and will be confident they can grab their fourth league win of the season against the 19th-place side.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/believe-in-the-process-fulham-fan-pundit-sends-message-to-fellow-fans-after-mixed-start-to-season/

WhiteJC

Lee Looking Forward To Fulham Clash

Our Under-23 side will be looking to close the gap on the leading pack at Fulham on Friday (12 noon).

Graeme Lee's charges were narrowly beaten 4-3 by league leaders West Ham last week – the visitors scoring two late goals after Boro had come from behind to lead 3-2 going into the final stages.

"We knew it would be a tough game because they're on a roll that goes back to last season and they have a lot of experience," said the lead coach.

"We showed great character and played some good football in the second half, but unfortunately they came back to win. Even then we created chances to score and get back in it again. We deserved something out of it."

While Boro have only tasted defeat twice this term, Fulham have won just two of their six games so far. Fulham's last outing saw an entertaining 5-4 win against Reading when they had to withstand a second half comeback, having led 4-1 at the break.

"This'll be another tough one," said Lee. "They'll come at us. Teams are wanting to play, and it's enjoyable to watch and good for the lads. We have to be brave and want the ball. I always tell them to play the game at the tempo we want."

The 23s have made a good start to the new campaign and with Jonathan Woodgate offering words of encouragement and demonstrating there is a pathway to senior football, our younger players are rising to the challenge.

"It's been a good start and I've been pleased," said Lee. "The lads have applied themselves and try and win each game. It's going to be harder against technically good teams, but we're matching them and showing quality.

"I'm really pleased. The lads have shown good character and you can see them learning in every game."

Our U18s begin their PL Cup campaign on Saturday at Rockliffe with a visit from Aston Villa.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/lee-looking-forward-to-fulham-clash

WhiteJC

Calum Chambers explains what has changed for him as Arsenal form improves dramatically

Calum Chambers spent last season on loan at Fulham where he excelled in a holding midfield position

Calum Chambers says he's grown up as both a player and a human recently as he looks to nail down a permanent place in Unai Emery's Arsenal side.

The defender wasn't in Emery's plans last season and was sent out on loan to Fulham, where he excelled in a holding midfield position for the Cottagers.

Emery opted against loaning him out again this campaign and has played him four times this season in the Premier League, Carabao Cup and Europa League.

In Arsenal's last-gasp win against Aston Villa, Chambers was on the scoresheet. While in the 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest, he bagged three assists.

On his upturn in form, and his plans for the future, Chambers told Arsenal Player: "I've had a lot of experiences over the years like going to Middlesbrough and Fulham, and playing a few games here at Arsenal.

"As a player and as a human, I feel like I've grown up quite a lot.

"I feel like I'm bringing the experiences I've had over the past few years into my game too. I just want to keep developing, keep working hard and keep improving things every day. That's all I can do, to focus on being the best player I can.

"I think to establish yourself here, you need to play week in, week out. It's the same at every club you go to. When you're playing week in, week out that's when you really establish yourself to the team and the fans.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/calum-chambers-explains-what-changed-20260545

WhiteJC

Win Balcony Seats!

Donated by Fulham CEO, Alistair Mackintosh: Two tickets to watch Fulham vs. Charlton from the Craven Cottage balcony on Saturday 5th October.

One lucky winner and their guest will enjoy an extremely rare opportunity to watch the action live from the Cottage balcony - one of the most historic areas of the ground!
How to take part:

Step 1

Contribute £20 to Fulham FC Foundation's work in the community via JustGiving by following this link: justgiving.com/campaign/CottageBalcony

Contestants must be 18 years of age or older.

Step 2

Answer the following question by typing your answer in the 'message' box:

Who is Fulham's Assistant Manager?

Step 3

Tick 'No, do not add Gift Aid'.

Entry will be invalid if Gift Aid is selected.

Step 4

Tick the box that says 'I'm happy to be contacted by Fulham Football Club Foundation'.

This is the last stage of the donation process before 'Donate now'. Without this, we won't be able to contact you if you win the contest!

Contest closes on Sunday 29th September 2019 at 11.59pm. One lucky contest winner will be contacted on Monday 30th September 2019.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/september/26/win-balcony-seats

WhiteJC

Wigan Athletic aiming to 'get at' Fulham

Chey Dunkley admits Wigan Athletic will face an acid test of their recent resurgence on Friday night at Fulham.

Latics have picked up five points from their last three matches – thanks to draws against Barnsley and Hull, and a win over Charlton – to move up to the heady heights of 19th in the Championship table.

But they'll have their work cut out to extend that run against Scott Parker's Cottagers – on a ground where they've won only twice in 22 visits.

Henri Camara scored the only goal of a Premier League victory in October 2006, while their only other triumph – in September 1990 – came in the old Fourth Division.

"It's going to be a tough, tough game at Fulham," Dunkley told the Wigan Post.

"They're a top, top team...probably one of the favourites to go on and get automatic promotion to the Premier League.

"They've invested a lot of money into the squad, and they'll give us a handful.

"I've seen them a few times this season, and they're heavy, but hopefully we can go there and cause an upset."

"If we can get at them – which I'm sure we will do – we could surprise a few people, because of the feel-good factor we'll go with."

Latics will travel down to the smoke in good spirits on the back of Saturday's 2-0 victory over Charlton.

The big centre-back provided both goals – a volley in the first half and a bullet header in the second period – to secure a much-deserved three points.

"Listen, the good times are good," Dunkley acknowledged.

"But at the same time, you don't want to get too high in the good times, because when you do lose it does drop you down.

"I enjoyed it, but from Monday morning it was all about Fulham and all about this Friday night."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-aiming-to-get-at-fulham-1-10019067

WhiteJC

Talking football: About time Wigan Athletic tasted joy at Fulham!

Paul Cook was all smiles as he entered the press room last weekend – and he had every reason to be.

His Latics side had wiped the floor with a Charlton side who have been the Championship's surprise package so far.

And they'd extended their unbeaten run to three matches – no mean feat in this division.

That will certainly be put to the test on Friday night at Fulham, who are rightly regarded as one of the favourites for promotion this season.

The trip to Craven Cottage is always one of the first you look for when the fixtures are announced.

Literally on the banks of the Thames, there can't be many more glorious settings for a stadium.

What a shame then that so many Latics fans will be robbed of one of the best weekend trips of the season with the game being moved forward to Friday night.

If you want cheering up, I suggest you don't look at Wigan's record at Craven Cottage – which has seen them win only twice in their 22 trips.

The last win came thanks to an Henri Camara goal in 2006.

The other was way back in 1990, in the old Fourth Division!

In between, we even had Michael Jackson making an appearance before the clash in 1999, for the unveiling of his statue behind one of the goals.

Shame we've not had too many Thrillers – from a Latics point of view – over the years.

Mostly, it's just been Bad.

But if Cook's men can pick up where they left off last weekend, they can certainly give Scott Parker's Fulham something to think about.

The introduction of Charlie Mulgrew into the backline has added an assurance, while the central midfield of Sam Morsy and Joe Williams provide an effective barrier in front.

Latics even managed to provide more support to lone frontman Kieffer Moore against the Addicks, and looked far more of an attacking threat than they have for most of the season.

More of the same please – and let's enjoy a bonus Saturday off with points already in the bag.

Great to see David Marshall pulling off two fabulous saves right at the death against Charlton to preserve his clean sheet.

Particularly given the stick he'd received the previous weekend from a section of the away end at Hull.

I'm sure Marshall would be the first to admit he's taken time to find his feet since joining over the summer.

But he's a proven class act over a number of years – in the Premier League – and has clearly still got it.

He'll have appreciated his name being sung at the end of Saturday's game.

Certainly more so than hearing Jamie Jones' name being chanted by some the week before...

I'll be honest, I was hugely surprised when Charlie Mulgrew turned up at Euxton on transfer deadline day to put pen to paper on a season-long loan with Latics.

Every time I'd seen him in action for Blackburn, the Scotland international defender had stood out as a class player.

Of course, we had the predictable response from Rovers fans, reacting to the 33-year-old's move: 'Too old, too slow, no good, past his best'...you know the drill.

But it's been no coincidence that Latics are unbeaten in the last three matches – since Mulgrew was drafted in to the side.

And it's not just at the back, where two clean sheets have shown Latics tightening up considerably.

At the other end, Mulgrew's delivery has been absolutely top notch – "like a £10million attacking midfielder", according to Sam Morsy.

Blackburn's loss has certainly been Wigan's gain...long may it continue.

It's fair to say Joe Williams didn't make the greatest first impression with Latics.

Two yellow cards inside 20 minutes of his league debut against Leeds got him off on the wrong foot.

But since then, he's hardly put a foot wrong.

Williams has managed to strike the perfect balance between going right up to the line, without crossing it again.

His partnership with skipper Sam Morsy is getting stronger every week.

And the former Everton man can also play a bit as well, judging by his impressive array of passing.

Early days, admittedly, but the 22-year-old could prove to be the pick of Paul Cook's summer signings.

With the potential to get even better further down the line.

Messi or Ronaldo?

The debate's been going on for well over a decade, and shows no sign of going away.

I seem to be in a minority of appreciating them both.

If pushed, I'd go Messi – by the width of a gnat's whisker.

And the panel of international players and managers who have voted him World Player of the Year agreed.

On the field, they continue to push each other on to greater achievements – a class apart

Off the field, it's perhaps a slightly different story.

While Messi again put the Portuguese on his voting paper, Ronaldo didn't return the favour.

In fact, he has NEVER once voted for Messi – for this or any of the 'Best Player' awards!

Three players better than Messi this year? Or any other year? Ronaldo is indeed living on a different planet...

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/talking-football-about-time-wigan-athletic-tasted-joy-at-fulham-1-10019095

Mickeyboro

Quote from: whitejc on September 27, 2019, 08:11:35 AM
'Believe in the process' – Fulham fan pundit sends message to fellow fans after mixed start to season

This article is part of Football League World's 'Regular Punter' series, where we gather original opinions from select, passionate fans of the clubs concerned on matters surrounding their team and share them with a wider audience...

Football League World's Fulham fan pundit David Gadd has suggested that the club can still finish in the top two if the supporters "believe in the process" and back manager Scott Parker.

Fulham appear to be carrying a bit of a relegation hangover after dropping out of the Premier League last season.

The West London club have got arguably one of the finest squads in the division but sit 11th in the league table after the first eight games.

Gadd indicated he feels the start to the season has been neither the best nor the worst but is optimistic looking ahead.

He said: "There's still a long way to go and we can't get too worried or ahead of ourselves yet.

"We've just got to keep playing the way we have and results will come. We have just got to be as positive as we can."

Gadd identified the final third as the area that is letting the Whites down at the moment.

He explained: "I think the thing that needs to improve the most is goalscoring. We just aren't scoring enough goals to win games.

"We have got arguably the best attack in the league but if we're not converting chances then we aren't going to win games or turn those draws into wins."

Despite a shaky start, Fulham are only three points shy of the top six and five points away from the top two, and Gadd revealed he remains positive about their chances of promotion.

He said: "My aspirations still are top two–we can do it.

"I think last season, Norwich were in the bottom half after their first eight games and they won the league, so it is doable.

"We just need to win games and be the force that I know we can be.

"The fan base just need to believe in Scott Parker and what he's doing. Believe in the process and we can still have a very positive season."

Fulham welcome Wigan Athletic to Craven Cottage tomorrow evening and will be confident they can grab their fourth league win of the season against the 19th-place side.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/believe-in-the-process-fulham-fan-pundit-sends-message-to-fellow-fans-after-mixed-start-to-season/

Such insight... [emoji48]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhiteJC

Reading fans team up with Fulham to walk for mental health charity ahead of Tuesday's game

Reading and Fulham fans will walk from Craven Cottage to the Madejski

Reading fans are set to walk from Fulham to Reading ahead of the Royals' match against the London side on Tuesday evening, to raise awareness of mental health and male suicide.

Football fans from Fulham FC and Reading FC are walking from Craven Cottage, setting off at 9pm on Monday, to the Madjeski Stadium before the game on Tuesday, which should take just over four hours.

Royals fan John Hunt said: "This is to stand together in the fight against the stigma of mental illness and the fact that suicide rates are at their highest ever figure. It is the biggest killer in men under the age of 45.

"Lee Adams (Matchwornshirt1 on Twitter) a Fulham fan, started this when they walked to the Madejski for game in August 2017.

"We did the reverse walk together along with Martin Sims before the game in April 2018.

"We raised over £8,000 for the charity Campaign against Living Miserably (CALM)."

He added: "We now have a number of other Reading fans joining us for this but there is still to get involved.

"We even have pick up points in Bracknell (Railway Station) at 11am and Wokingham (Railway Station) at 1pm if people want to join for part of walk.

"The reason i walk is I am a nurse who has been affected by mental health issues.

"One in four people are affected by a mental health issue, hence in a matchday squad of 18 thats four to five players. In a crowd of 20,000 thats 5,000 people.

"These figures dont lie, its great to see players like Dave Kitson and David Meyler recently talk about their own struggles as this can really help others.

"We are in it together to break down the stigma around mental illness and get people the help they need.

"On October 19 v Preston. Reading FC's Community Trust day is about mental wellbeing and that is a massive step in making OK to say your not OK.

"I'm still hoping that we can work with the club to provide regular coffee mornings to those that are isolated in the local community.

"It's our club and community even if i live in Ireland it's always home to me."

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/readingfc/17930250.reading-fans-team-fulham-walk-mental-health-charity-ahead-tuesdays-game/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Wigan Athletic
FRI 27 Sept 2019   Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham have drawn their past three games 1-1 and are without a win in five games in all competitions

Fulham midfielder Kevin McDonald is a doubt with a calf injury for the visit of Wigan Athletic on Friday.

Harry Arter could be restored to the starting line-up as the Whites look to end a four-match winless league run.

Latics manager Paul Cook has received a triple injury boost, with midfielder Gary Roberts and forwards Josh Windass and Anthony Pilkington all back in training following injuries.

However, the trip to Craven Cottage is likely to come too soon for the trio.

Tom Pearce is the only member of the Wigan squad still sidelined, with the left-back recovering from a back injury.

Match facts

Fulham are unbeaten in their last 17 league matches against Wigan (W7 D10) since a 1-0 defeat in October 2006 in the Premier League.
    Wigan have won one of their last 17 league trips to Fulham (W1 D5 L11).
    Fulham's past three league games have ended in a 1-1 draw, with the Whites opening the scoring in the last two.
    Wigan have only won one of their last 25 away league games (D6 L18), with that victory coming at Leeds in April (2-1).
    No player has scored more Championship goals this season than Fulham's Aleksandar Mitrovic (5).
    Wigan's Cheyenne Dunkley has scored three goals in his last two league games - he had gone 46 games without a goal previously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49764488

WhiteJC

We won't sit off Fulham, promises Wigan Athletic boss

Paul Cook insists his Wigan Athletic side will be going toe-to-toe with Fulham on Friday night as they aim to crack their away-day hoodoo in style.

Latics will pitch up at Craven Cottage in good spirits after picking up five points in their last three matches.

But history certainly isn't on their side.

Latics have won only once on the road since the beginning of last season – at Leeds on Good Friday – and have only ever tasted victory twice at Craven Cottage in 22 trips.

Nevertheless, Cook says the buzz around a Friday night fixture by the Thames will make for a perfect setting.

"Games always seem to be that little bit better under the lights, maybe with a bit of rain, it adds to the excitement," the Latics boss said.

"Every time I've seen Fulham this season, I've been very impressed, so we're definitely expecting a tough game.

"They carry quality players all over the pitch, they've brought in some top players over the summer, and they play a good brand of football.

"It's a big challenge, but one we're looking forward to.

"Can we go to Fulham and get a win?

"What would a win at Fulham do for our season?

"We have to believe that, and we will go there believing that.

"We won't sit off Fulham in any way, shape or form."

Latics will have a smaller-than-usual travelling support due to the late fixture switch from Saturday.

But Cook aims to reward each and every one of them for their efforts over the past year.

"The away fans have always been great with us," he added.

"It's something we've had to adapt to over the last 12 months or so, the difference in results away from home.

"We lost something like four out of 23 games on the road when we came up from League One.

"It's been tough for us making the step up, and it's been tough for the fans as well. We appreciate their support."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/we-won-t-sit-off-fulham-promises-wigan-athletic-boss-1-10019224

WhiteJC

David Marshall | "We're going to Fulham with a lot of confidence."

Latics Listen 6 | David Marshall.
    Latics' keeper talking Charlton saves and Fulham aims.
    Marshall's words on his defence and utilising full backs.

Speaking on the latest episode of our podcast, Latics Listen, David Marshall reflected on last Saturday's 2-0 victory against Charlton Athletic and took time to preview Friday night's trip to take on Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Here's an excerpt from the interview...

Charlton Athletic

"We were dominant in the Charlton game and felt really comfortable. It's pretty unusual in the Championship for a team not to have a strong spell in a game, so it was no surprise when they had some chances at the end.

"We needed the win, especially at home to give us confidence and it was equally as pleasing to get the clean sheet.

"Even when I made the save, someone got another chance and put it over the bar, so you don't really have time to think about the save in the game.

"It's one of those things, it comes at you and a reaction save like that doesn't happen very often, especially at such close range.

"I'm just pleased we got the clean sheet, because it's something we're going to need. We've been strong in the last three games and we're starting to kick on.

"You're desperate to keep a clean sheet in every game of course, but it's difficult in this league, especially away from home. If we can keep that home form on track, that'll be big. The gaffer spoke about the home form before I arrived at the club and it's great. That's continued relatively well at the moment.

"The clean sheets are big, they give everyone confidence and help to settle the back four. The boys in front of me have been great and obviously Chey has popped up with some important goals.

"Chey and Charlie have settled well together. Charlie gives us a lot going forward with his set pieces and Chey seems to be getting on the end of stuff.

"We were good at both ends of the pitch against Charlton and we've got a lot of experience available to us if we want to change things up with Foxy who can come in.

"The full backs are really quick, so hopefully that can continue to be a strong point for us as well.

"It's a phenomenal attribute to have (Antonee Robinson's pace). At Hull last year one thing we didn't really have was pace, but the difference here with the four full backs is pace in the wide areas.

"Jedi gets everyone going and you can see people getting out of their seats when he goes on those runs up the pitch. He was unfortunate not to get a penalty in the first half and he came close in the second half. It's a big attribute and hopefully we can keep using it."

Fulham

"Fulham are, probably quite rightly, seen as one of the favourites in the division with the squad they've kept together.

"They've only lost once at home this season and they're sitting mid-table, but I'm sure they'll be looking for at least the play-offs come the end of the season.

"It's always good to play under the lights and we all enjoy the midweek games. Friday matches are a bit different and always have a special feel to them.

"It's an old school ground down at Craven Cottage and a good place to play.

"It wasn't a must win against Charlton, but as a group we felt we needed to back up the draws against Barnsley and Hull with three points against Charlton.

"We're getting into a good run now, so we can go to Fulham with a lot of confidence and try and get into the top half of the table."

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2019/september/David-Marshall-We-re-going-to-Fulham-with-a-lot-of-confidence-/

WhiteJC

Charlie Mulgrew | Fulham preview, set piece deliveries and settling in

Latics Listen | Charlie Mulgrew.
    Defender delighted with his time at Latics so far.
    "It's a massive team effort from the set pieces." - Charlie Mulgrew.

Speaking on the latest episode of our podcast, Latics Listen, defender Charlie Mulgrew chats about his set piece expertise, settling in at Latics from Blackburn Rovers and Friday's trip to Fulham...

Here's an excerpt from the interview, or you can listen above.

"We've had a couple of good results in the last few games, but we have to keep building on the little run we've started to put together.

"At first it was about getting to know the lads and getting to know how the manager works. It's good to have worked my way into the team now, but most importantly we've started to pick up results. If I can help that along the way then I'm delighted, but it's a squad game and everyone has to be ready to play their part.

"I'm happy that I'm playing at the moment, so it's all about helping the team to get results.

"I spoke to the manager at the time of signing and he was really keen to get me in here. I'm happy to be here, he's a good manager and someone who has the whole team and the club working towards what he wants to achieve.

"We've got a great bunch of lads, the staff have been excellent and everyone about the club has been very welcoming to me. It makes you want to do even better for the club when people treat you like that, so I'm delighted to be here, very thankful to have the opportunity and keen to help drive the club forwards.

"There are a lot of factors to scoring from set pieces, it's not just me and Chey. We've got people making important runs and occupying dangerous areas, but Chey does really well to get on the end of them and score the goals. I'm happy to put the ball in for him, but it's a team effort, from the players who earn the corners and free kicks, to those who make dummy runs or try to cause a nuisance."

On clean sheets, Mulgrew continued:

"We've had a couple of clean sheets recently which is the most important job for us as defenders and anything else in terms of goals is a bonus for us two.

"We defend as a team and we attack as a team, so the clean sheets are a big effort from the midfielders and strikers as well.

"We're going to need everyone throughout the course of the season and Marshy has been class, so we're thankful to have him making saves like the one against Charlton and for his general presence behind us."

On the prospect of the Fulham game on Friday, the defender added:

"These are tough games and they're exactly the reason why you want to play at this level. You play against teams like Fulham who've got quality all over the pitch, it's going to be difficult, but it's a challenge for us and one that we want to put in a good performance against and do our best at both ends of the pitch.

"There's a lot of excitement around a game like Friday's, they're all pressure games and we're looking to pick up points against a team full of quality.

"It's going to be very difficult, but we believe we can get something from the game. It's one of the bigger games of the season because they were in the Premier League last season. It doesn't take a lot of motivation for a game like this and we're excited for kick off, but ultimately we have to get something out of the game by working together."

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2019/september/Charlie-Mulgrew-Fulham-preview-set-piece-deliveries-and-settling-in/