watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Has the Championship got dirtier?

Started by Fernhurst, September 28, 2019, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

First half of QPR V WBA, tackles flying in and ref very busy but doing alright.
West Brom looking dangerous, my respect for our result has increased.
Bloody 90 seconds from beating them grrrrrrr.
Sky promised goals in this encounter and all we have is plenty of effort and dirty tackles, it's like Wigan v Wigan.

0-0 at half time.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

SP

I haven't seen the highlights from last night yet, but I think the worst challenge was in the first couple of minutes that appeared to be studs up.  The ref didn't give the player any punishment, maybe it was the angle I saw it from?

F(f)CUK

I felt that Wigan were quite dirty, but I was impressed by their supporters. Most of them clapped after Cairney's goal.

SP

QPR lose at home to WBA with no shots on target.  That's QPR's season over save their two cup finals against FFC.

Fernhurst

Quote from: SP on September 28, 2019, 02:27:58 PM
QPR lose at home to WBA with no shots on target.  That's QPR's season over save their two cup finals against FFC.

Yes and WBA go top,  for a couple of hours anyway.
Looks like Bilic bloody good appointment.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

Wigan were bad last night, regular fouls against us throughout the match, thought the ref. was too lenient and reluctant to show cards.

Whitesideup

Quote from: SP on September 28, 2019, 01:43:29 PM
I haven't seen the highlights from last night yet, but I think the worst challenge was in the first couple of minutes that appeared to be studs up.  The ref didn't give the player any punishment, maybe it was the angle I saw it from?
Huge mistake from ref not to give yellow card. At the time, without the benefit of a replay, I thought there was a possibility of a red. Studs up, malicious challenge. By letting him off, the ref set the standard. And a few minutes later, after another horrible tackle, he didn't take his card out straight away and seemed to react only because of the anger of the crowd. How Wigan finished the game with only one more yellow than us is remarkable. They could have had 7,8 or more ...the no 20 deserved at least three on his own!

Kimbleman

I completely agree. That first challenge should have been a yellow and would have sent a message to the Wigan thugs that he was going to punish blatant foul play. I thought he was far too weak throughout although if he hadn't have been, Mitro might have been off....so I'll let him off lol!

SP

The challenge on Betts at the corner looked extremely late to me?

Carborundum

No, it's not dirtier...it was always this way.  I recall a game against Preston two or three seasons back that prompted howls of indignation about their physicality.  Jordon Hugill, the epitomy of a disgraceful footballer etc etc.

It's not the Harlem Globetrotters where the opposition are expected to lose as part of the show.  If it were, I wouldn't go.  Yes the opposition do things that go against the law or spirit of the game.  Beating them should be tough.  Sometimes our lot do it too.

But one thing last night I hadn't seen before was the head stroking competition that broke out in the aftermath of one foul.  Caused quite a discussion between me and Carborundum Jnr.  Our views may have differed, he even had the last word, fine by me, I just smiled, nodded....and affectionately stroked the back of his head.   

bog

Quote from: Carborundum on September 28, 2019, 04:49:01 PM
No, it's not dirtier...it was always this way.  I recall a game against Preston two or three seasons back that prompted howls of indignation about their physicality.  Jordon Hugill, the epitomy of a disgraceful footballer etc etc.

It's not the Harlem Globetrotters where the opposition are expected to lose as part of the show.  If it were, I wouldn't go.  Yes the opposition do things that go against the law or spirit of the game.  Beating them should be tough.  Sometimes our lot do it too.

But one thing last night I hadn't seen before was the head stroking competition that broke out in the aftermath of one foul.  Caused quite a discussion between me and Carborundum Jnr.  Our views may have differed, he even had the last word, fine by me, I just smiled, nodded....and affectionately stroked the back of his head.

What with bit of carborundum?

sarnian

Ref could easily have sent Reed off after Betts injury. Thought he was quite good although he could have booked a couple early on

Andy S

I thought the ref was as good as any over the last 12 months. It is strange though subs are supposed to leave th e field by the quickest route this season. Ours are still walking the full width of the pitch

Woolly Mammoth

I do not think the Championship is any dirtier, but I do think that due to the leniency or lack of courage by many referees at that level, the punishment is not fitting the crime. So when some players know they can probably get away with it, or are allowed to transgress without punishment, they will take advantage of a weak referee, and there are many of them, that's unfortunately human nature.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Camel Club

I have to admit I thought the referee was one of the better ones. He booked one of their players in the first few minutes and whilst it was at least a clear yellow many referees wouldn't have got a card out so early.

I also think he must have been a good communicator on the pitch. That was a game that could and very nearly did get out of hand. Both teams could easily have been down to 10 or even 9.

Not sure the Championship is any dirtier but that was by far the most physical Wigan team I've seen and our players are going to need more protection as the season goes on and our opponents become increasingly frustrated with our possession football as we look to play ourselves out of this league.

toshes mate

Quote from: Andy S on September 28, 2019, 11:20:46 PM
I thought the ref was as good as any over the last 12 months. It is strange though subs are supposed to leave th e field by the quickest route this season. Ours are still walking the full width of the pitch
The rule doesn't actually exclude the referee from permission to let the player take the 'old' route and it is still perfectly legitimate.  I take your first sentence with the pinch of salt which says 'as good as' is nowhere the standard professional football should achieve.  However, I also believe that issue is not entirely the fault of the referees but a product of the numbskull thinking of the professional bodies that influence all football these days.  Quality of officiating disappeared when tick boxes came along, IMO.

Milo

Wonder also why Cairney scores so much in CS but not PS

Bill2

Think the opposition have a tactic of hit them hard in the first few minutes, the refs at that point in the game let them get away with it so it is free cheap shot. Refs need to be made aware of this and start with the cards from minute 1. As for Hugill mentioned above he was the dirtiest player I saw he was dishing it out to everyone.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Milo on September 30, 2019, 12:55:09 PM

The Premier League is so good that the "PFA Championship Team of the Year" would struggle to avoid relegation.

Sgt Fulham

Quote from: Milo on September 30, 2019, 12:55:09 PM

More time and space on the ball in the Championship. In the Prem a lot of his long range efforts get blocked by a defender before they can nestle in that top corner.