more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 05/10/19...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2019, 04:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mitro: Keep Performing

Aleksandar Mitrović knows the challenge for Fulham now is to keep our foot on the gas.

Five games unbeaten – including victory in our previous two – means three points in Saturday's early kick-off against Charlton Athletic would send us to the top of the table.

"Five unbeaten games, two wins in a row; life's good, but we need to continue this," Mitrović told fulhamfc.com.

"We had a good game the other night but that's behind us, we need to recover and perform again in a London derby against Charlton. It's another big game and hopefully we can continue winning.

"It's a London derby and Charlton are a good team. They've got some good players, but as a team they are really good. They're compact, hard to play against and, like every Championship team, they work really hard, so of course it's going to be a tough game.

"London derbies are always special for fans. We'll try to win the game, we're at home in front of our own fans, we need to start the game on the front foot, get control of the game, and try to get three points."

Mitrović's brace at the Madejski Stadium on Tuesday propelled him to the top of the scoring charts, as he gobbled up inviting deliveries from Anthony Knockaert and Joe Bryan.

"My teammates know my qualities, they know where I'm strongest and they try to use this to play me in these areas, to play balls into the box, a lot of crosses, and that's what I need," Mitro explained.

"We know each other pretty well now, so it's easier and I hope we continue like this during the season. It's a good mood, there's a good relationship with the players, and we need to keep this mood every week.

"If we play well the goals will come sooner or later. I don't overthink it, the most important thing is the team.

"If the team is winning and we're picking up points, if we're playing well and creating chances, then the goals will come.

"I believe in myself, I believe in this team, and I know more goals will come if we play like we did in the last games.

"Our mentality was right against Reading, everybody was on the front foot, and that's the way we need to play every game."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/04/aleksandar-mitrovic-charlton-preview

WhiteJC

Buckingham Donation

Buckingham Group Contracting Limited has announced a donation of £5,000 to the Fulham FC Foundation Matchday, taking place against Charlton Athletic on Saturday.

In addition to the donation, the lead contractor for the Riverside Stand redevelopment at Craven Cottage has been working alongside the Foundation to select participants to be FFC mascots at the match.

This is the first step of many toward partnership working, as the two will team up to deliver work experience and careers sessions in the community throughout the duration of the stand redevelopment.

James Stokesberry, Senior Project Manager at Buckingham Group Contracting, said: "Through our time spent at Craven Cottage so far, we've come to learn more about the important work the Foundation does, not only in the Hammersmith & Fulham community, but across South West London.

"Together with Amy O'Brien, Head of Development & Communications at the Foundation, we've identified a number of opportunities to team up and drive education and training opportunities for young people in the local area. It's only natural, given our presence at the ground and our own commitment to community investment, that we would also support the Foundation Matchday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/04/buckingham-donation

WhiteJC

Bowyer on Fulham, going against Scott Parker and Charlton injuries

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer spoke to Valley Pass this morning ahead of Saturday's game away to Fulham.

Below are some of the talking points.

On the Fulham game...

"It's a tough challenge. They are one of the favourites to get promotion, that's their expectation I think. For me they have the best squad in the division. A lot of Premier League players, a lot of experienced Premier League players. I went to watch them against Reading the other night and they are a good side. They've got a lot of players that can hurt you. So defensively we're going to have to be right, we're going to have to do the defensive side of the game very well and then once we do that we have to move the ball quickly. Nothing changes from our side."

On Charlton selling out their allocation for Fulham...

"The fans are great aren't they. Even after the Swansea game their manager came in, a very nice man, he said 'your fans, that was a great atmosphere, is it always like this?' and I was like 'yeah, they're unbelievable'. I said 'it didn't used to be like this but it is now and the fans play a massive part'. He said 'yeah, you won't lose too many here'. We always get complements about our fans wherever we go, I've had it many, many times and hopefully they just keep doing what they are doing and we'll keep trying and giving them 100%."

On going against fellow Charlton academy graduate Scott Parker...

"Scotty is a nice fella. I've known him from when he was younger obviously, coming through the ranks we had a few battles and then we played together at West Ham and Newcastle. We formed a good partnership at Newcastle. I think he's quite similar to me really, he's just a winner, everything is about winning. He'll have his lads up for it on Saturday, I have no doubt, just the same as I will with our lads. It will be good to come against him and have a different type of battle. I'm looking forward to seeing him, I haven't seen him for a while, we drop the odd message to each other here and there. It will be good to see Scotty."

On injuries...

"Ben Purrington is out, he's got a couple of injuries. His calf injury that he's been playing with, his groin has shown up something as well. He's done so well trying to get through all these games. Five, six games he's played with his calf, we can't push him anymore. We've got this break after this game, so hopefully he'll be ready for the Derby game, that's the plan.

"There is no hiding from it, we have six, maybe seven injuries. Chuks Aneke is going out there this morning, he's got something wrong with his groin at the moment, we're hoping that it is nothing serious, we'll know more after training. If he lasts training then he'll be ok for tomorrow, if he doesn't and then he's out that will be the seventh injury we've got."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d97273008d07/bowyer-on-fulham-going-against-scott-parker-and-charlton-injuries

WhiteJC

Fulham under Scott Parker: The Man City of the Championship?
Watch Fulham vs Charlton live on Sky Sports Football from 12pm on Saturday; Kick-off is at 12.30pm

Fulham have enjoyed a solid start to the season in the Sky Bet Championship

"It's no secret that I want to turn Fulham into the Manchester United of the south," said Mohamed Al Fayed in the early 2000s, around the time Jean Tigana's Cottagers swaggered into the Premier League.

Al Fayed's ambition was admirable but always a little unlikely. Nearly two decades on, though, Fulham are emulating a Manchester juggernaut again... only this time, it's City.

Fulham lie fifth in the table 10 games into the Championship season, although a win over Charlton on Saturday - live on Sky Sports Football - would put them top for at least a few hours. Results have been OK, but nothing more. It's the underlying numbers that show how Fulham are trying to play the Pep Guardiola way.

The possession kings

It starts with possession. Fulham averaged 69 per cent in their opening 10 games, including 84 per cent in a 4-0 hammering of Millwall. No team in England's top two divisions has enjoyed more of the ball. Fulham take care of the ball in a similar way to City, too - their 88 per cent passing accuracy is comfortably the second-highest in the top two leagues, and only narrowly lower than City's.

Passing stats in England's top two divisions this season

Highest av. possession   Best passing accuracy   Lowest % of passes long
Fulham 69%   Man City 89%   Man City 7.2%
Leeds 65%   Fulham 88%   Tottenham 8.7%
Man City 63%   Liverpool 83%   Fulham 9.1%
Liverpool 62%   West Brom 82%   Chelsea 9.3%

Fulham have settled into a 4-3-3 system with two playmakers in midfield ahead of a screener in front of the back four, a system remarkably similar to Man City's.

Fulham sit fifth with 18 points - not quite City levels of dominance, but it is their best start to a second-tier season since Tigana's side swept to the title with 101 points in 2000/01. And their attacking output is looking promotion standard. They are joint-top scorers with Preston, while only Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds have worked goalkeepers and made chances from open play more often.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/11827021/fulham-under-scott-parker-the-man-city-of-the-championship

WhiteJC

2 ways Charlton can hurt Fulham this weekend

Charlton travel to Fulham on Saturday and they'll be hoping to carry on their surprisingly good start to the Championship season at Craven Cottage.

Despite the loss to Swansea on Wednesday night, they've been fantastic since their promotion from League One, and have recorded some really impressive victories including at The Valley when they faced Leeds United.

It'll be a tough test for the Addicks this weekend, but they'll be hoping that they can continue their good start against an in-form Fulham side.

Here are TWO ways that Charlton can hurt Fulham when they travel to Craven Cottage on Saturday...

Exploit the channels
The Addicks have to exploit the channels if they're to have any success when they take on Fulham this Saturday. They have to make sure that when the Cottagers' full-backs look to push up then they have the ability to be able to play the right passes in behind and leave their centre-backs vulnerable.

Quite a few teams have tried this against Fulham, and when they play at home the defence plays with a very high-line which could benefit the pacy players in the Charlton side such as Jonathan Leko. They have to utilise this potential avenue with space in the channels and then they might be able to come away with a great result at their London rivals.

Man-mark Tom Cairney
Fulham's key danger and major influence in their fixtures is midfielder, Tom Cairney. He has the ability that sets him apart from the other players in that position as he can pass the ball like no-one else in the league, whilst being able to score goals from anywhere up to 35 yards out.

Charlton have to press Cairney, and do it aggressively and physically. Conor Gallagher has to be able to get close to him, and if not then Fulham are going to hurt the Addicks as Cairney would have the space to be able to pick out players such as Anthony Knockaert and Ivan Cavaleiro.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-ways-charlton-can-hurt-fulham-this-weekend/

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit offers prediction for Fulham's clash with Charlton

David Prutton has predicted the points to be shared when Charlton travel to Fulham on Saturday in the early kick-off.

Both teams come into the game after having a fairly successful start to the season, and they'll be hoping to carry that on into this weekend's fixture.

Charlton have surprised many since coming up from League One and they'll be hoping to carry that on when they travel to an in form Fulham side on Saturday.

Scott Parker's side have been excellent in recent weeks, and on Tuesday night they were able to net four past Reading, which will have been a massive confidence boost to an already effective attacking line.

Prutton has predicted that the points will be shared when the Addicks travel to Craven Cottage, and both teams to score. He's gone for 2-2.

Speaking in his Sky Sports column, Prutton said: "Fulham blew Reading away in midweek, and probably still would have done even if John Swift hadn't been sent off at 1-0. They will do that to teams this season that give them space to play.

"Charlton won't. They will be right up for this at Craven Cottage and keen to bounce back from their midweek defeat, having initially taken the lead against Swansea. Score draw for me."

The Verdict

It should be a cracking game when the Addicks travel to Fulham on Saturday, and I think they might continue to surprise a few as they look to build on a very good start to the season.

Fulham, on the other hand, have a brilliant squad and their quality is beginning to show more and more with many thinking that they'll be right up there come the end of the season.

I think Fulham will come out on top this weekend, but only just, in a 2-1 victory.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/snack-poll/will-fulham-finish-in-the-top-two/

WhiteJC

Fulham ace discusses Charlton strengths in wide-ranging chat

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic has been speaking ahead of the game against Charlton Athletic tomorrow and talked about the team's momentum in the Championship.

After ten games of the season, Scott Parker's Fulham sit 5th in the Championship. The 38-year-old has galvanised his team after a going four games without a win through September to win back-t0-back games against Wigan and Reading, and get themselves back into the play-off mix.

One of his best performers so far this season has been Aleksandar Mitrovic. The Serb is the Championship's joint top-scorer with seven goals, and today he's been quoted by the club's official website ahead of the game at home to Charlton tomorrow:

"Five unbeaten games, two wins in a row; life's good, but we need to continue this. We had a good game the other night but that's behind us, we need to recover and perform again in a London derby against Charlton."

It's a third London derby of the season for Fulham, who are third in the Championship home-form table with ten points from five games. But Charlton have been the surprise package so far in the league, and, despite three losses in their last four and the absence of top-scorer Lyle Taylor, they still pose a threat to Parker's side.

"It's a London derby and Charlton are a good team," said Mitrovic. "They've got some good players, but as a team they are really good. They're compact, hard to play against and, like every Championship team, they work really hard, so of course it's going to be a tough game.

"London derbies are always special for fans. We'll try to win the game, we're at home in front of our own fans, we need to start the game on the front foot, get control of the game, and try to get three points."

The verdict

Lee Bowyer will go head-to-head with a personal friend of his in Parker tomorrow, but the pair will both be out looking for the three points.

It's a game that either side can win, but Fulham will be hoping that Mitrovic and his teammates can secure a third consecutive win in the Championship and cement their spot of the play-offs.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-ace-discusses-charlton-strengths-in-wide-ranging-chat/

WhiteJC

"It's a tough challenge" – Lee Bowyer talks about the mountain ahead of Charlton as they face off against Fulham

Charlton manager Lee Bowyer sat down with the press this morning as he looks ahead to the Fulham game that will start at 12:30 tomorrow as a tough challenge awaits.

Bowyer has acknowledged the challenge ahead of him and his players as Scott Parker's Fulham look to secure their 4th home win of the season as the Addicks visit Craven Cottage.

Speaking with the press ahead of Saturday's game Bowyer had this to say

"It's a tough challenge. They are one of the favourites to get promotion, that's their expectation I think. For me they have the best squad in the division. A lot of Premier League players, a lot of experienced Premier League players.

"I went to watch them against Reading the other night and they are a good side. They've got a lot of players that can hurt you.

Bowyer continued

"So defensively we're going to have to be right, we're going to have to do the defensive side of the game very well and then once we do that we have to move the ball quickly. Nothing changes from our side."

Bowyer is 100% correct about the challenge ahead of us it is going to be massive for us especially if we come away with three points no one is expecting us to win tomorrow, in fact, Paddy Power have us down at 15/2 to win the game whilst Fulham are billed at 4/11.

That alone just shows how much of a mountain we have to climb at Craven Cottage, but make sure that you all get down there with your voices ready because the players are going to need us!

https://charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/its-a-tough-challenge-lee-bowyer-talks-about-the-mountain-ahead-of-charlton-as-they-face-off-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

"He's just a winner" – Lee Bowyer on former teammate Scott Parker

Charlton are set to take on former player Scott Parker's Fulham tomorrow lunchtime as it is the first time he will face his old team as a manager after leaving the club on bad-terms in 2004.

As we all know former Charlton man Scott Parker left the club for Chelsea in January of 2004 and most fans still hold that grudge to this very because we were flying high at the time with players such as Paolo Di Canio, Matt Holland and Hermann Heridersson as we were in pole position for a Champions League spot.

Scott decided to take the money all those years ago, but unfortunately for him, he fell out of favour at Chelsea and opted for a move to Newcastle United instead where he would link up once again with Lee Bowyer.

The Charlton manager has given his verdict on Scott Parker this morning

"Scotty is a nice fella. I've known him from when he was younger obviously, coming through the ranks we had a few battles and then we played together at West Ham and Newcastle. We formed a good partnership at Newcastle. I think he's quite similar to me really, he's just a winner, everything is about winning. He'll have his lads up for it on Saturday, I have no doubt, just the same as I will with our lads. It will be good to come against him and have a different type of battle. I'm looking forward to seeing him, I haven't seen him for a while, we drop the odd message to each other here and there. It will be good to see Scotty."

Sounds like they are friends outside of football, despite the battles they had on the pitch and some of them were quite brutal as I remember Bowyer shoving Parker over the advertising board in 2002.

We will see what kind of battle they will have together tomorrow, but I think both of them have calmed down a lot since their days as players, especially Bowyer.

https://charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/hes-just-a-winner-lee-bowyer-on-former-teammate-scott-parker/

WhiteJC

MATCH PREVIEW | Fulham v Charlton

Take an in-depth look ahead to the Addicks' trip to Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday (12.30pm)...

Charlton will be looking to bounce back at Craven Cottage when the Addicks take on Fulham on Saturday (12.30pm).

Lee Bowyer's men were not able to follow up last weekend's victory over Leeds United with any points against Swansea City on Wednesday, despite a good performance under the lights at The Valley.

Fulham, meanwhile, earned a 4-1 victory at 10-man Reading which leaves them in fourth position with 18 points, just one point ahead of Charlton in seventh.

Charlton will continue to be without Tomer Hemed, Beram Kayal, Lyle Taylor and Lewis Page at Craven Cottage.

Bowyer has also revealed that Ben Purrington is likely to be missing after being withdrawn on Wednesday evening with a groin issue, while Chuks Aneke also suffered a tight groin, but could still feature in west London.

Meanwhile, Fulham boss and former Addick, Scott Parker, has revealed that he has no real injury concerns going into the game.

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer: "It's a tough challenge. They are one of the favourites to get promotion, that's their expectation I think. For me they have the best squad in the division. A lot of Premier League players, a lot of experienced Premier League players. Defensively, we're going to have to be right, we're going to have to do the defensive side of the game very well and then once we do that we have to move the ball quickly. Nothing changes from our side."

Fulham boss Scott Parker: "Lee Bowyer's a couple of years older than me. He's someone I call a close friend, a good guy, who's doing a fantastic job and I'm not surprised, as he's a fighter. He hasn't been given an easy hand."

Charlton have met Fulham on 69 previous occasions with the Addicks winning 21, the Cottagers 25 and the remaining 23 ending in draws.

The last meeting at Craven Cottage ended in a 3-0 defeat in February 2016, while a late comeback earned the Addicks a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture at The Valley in October 2015, thanks to Johnnie Jackson and Jordan Cousins' headers.

Keith Stroud will be the man in the middle on Saturday. He has been in charge of seven games, so far, this season, dishing out 14 yellow cards and no reds.

Stroud's last two experiences of refereeing the Addicks has been during a 3-2 defeat to Oxford United at The Valley in February 2018 and a 0-0 draw against Millwall in SE7 in January 2017, in which he infamously chalked off Patrick Bauer's perfectly-good goal.

He will be assisted by Lee Venamore and Adrian Waters, with Neil Hair as the fourth official.

1,970 Addicks have SOLD OUT the away end at Craven Cottage. No tickets will be available on the day.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d96fbc48f9f6/match-preview-fulham-v-charlton

WhiteJC

Conor Gallagher on Fulham: "We'll work hard like we do every single game and we're going to go for the win"

Recent Addicks recruit Conor Gallagher appears poised in the face of what seems to be a tasty encounter in the latest London derby between Charlton Athletic and Fulham.

The two teams are separated by just one point in the Sky Bet Championship table ahead of Saturday's game at Craven Cottage.

The home side, recently relegated from the Premier League, are in a rich vein of form however, remaining undefeated in their last five league matches.

Looking forward to the game, the on-loan Chelsea midfielder explained why he believes Charlton shouldn't be afraid to see Fulham retain the majority of possession in the game: "You look at the game we played against Leeds. We barely had any of the ball and we won 1-0, so I don't think it's going to be a problem.

"They do like to have a lot of the ball. They probably will have more of the ball than us, but we'll work hard like we do every single game and we're going to go for the win."

Gallagher has been instrumental in the Addicks' strong start to the season, bagging three goals from the middle of the park in the opening 10 Championship games. A rather impressive feat from a footballer that's just beginning to get a taste for first-team men's football.

He said: "Obviously, men's football is new to me. I played in a few games last season in the Checkatrade Trophy, but playing them week in, week out is a great experience, and that's what I wanted.

"I came on loan to play as many games as possible. I just hope to carry on playing as often as possible!"

In terms of inspiration for the England U20s midfielder, he can draw from Chelsea teammates such as Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori. Having benefited from Championship loan spells, they have returned to their parent club and shined, earning a call-up to Gareth Southgate's Three Lions squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Bulgaria.

The latest academy product coming off the coveted Chelsea production line is hoping for the same career trajectory: "You look at the likes of Mason Mount, Reece James, Tammy (Abraham). They've all had great seasons in the Championship, and now they're playing for Chelsea's first team."

Article by Dean Taylor

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d9743204a322/conor-gallagher-on-fulham-well-work-hard-like-we-do-every-single-game-and-were-going-to-go-for-the-win

WhiteJC

Academy Internationals

There are places for a vast list of our academy players in their respective national squads ahead of the next international break.

There is a spot for Luca Ashby-Hammond in England's Under-19 squad alongside a maiden call-up for Sonny Hilton following his run of games in Mark Pembridge & Colin Omogbehin's Under-23 team. Fabio Carvalho's dazzling form in Steve Wigley's Under-18s has also earned him a place in the Young Lions' Under-18 setup.

Tyrese Francois makes the trip across the globe to play for Australia Under-23s.

Connor McAvoy continues his excellent progress, moving up an age group to Scotland's Under-19 team.

Ben Davis will embark on his first international journey with Thailand's Under-23s.

Adrion Pajaziti's Under-18 form hasn't gone unnoticed, earning him a call-up to Albania's Under-19s. Similarly, Terry Ablade will again travel with Finland Under-19s. 

Further down the age groups in the home countries, Ollie O'Neill and Jay Williams will play for Ireland and Wales Under-17s respectively. Damian Las will be absent for a longer period as USA Under-17s compete in the age group's World Cup.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/04/academy-internationals

WhiteJC

Fulham v Charlton: Purrington ruled out and Aneke to have late test

Ben Purrington will miss Charlton's trip to Fulham on Saturday.

The left-back was substituted in Wednesday night's defeat to Swansea and Lee Bowyer revealed that he's also suffered a groin strain.

"He's out," Bowyer said.

"He's got a couple of injuries.

"His calf, he's been playing with, showed up on  the scan which we knew would happen, but it' hiss groin showing up now.

"He's done well getting through games with his calf, five or six he played but we can't push him any more.

"We've got a break now and hopefully we can get him back for the Derby game."

Purrington who arrived in the summer on a permanent deal has been integral for the Addicks since joining on loan last season, scoring the equaliser in the play-off final at Wembley.

Another who is a doubt for the trip to Craven Cottage is forward Chuks Aneke.

The former MK Dons man came off the bench on Wednesday but Bowyer revealed he too has a slight groin strain.

"Chuks Aneke is going out this morning to trian, he has a problem with his groin, we'll know more after of training.

"We'll be down to the bare bones.

"If he's out George Lapslie will have to travel but he's only just joined in a little bit of training yesterday."

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/17947778.charlton-v-fulham-purrington-ruled-aneke-late-test/

WhiteJC

The Fulham XI Parker is likely to field against Charlton

This Saturday sees another London derby preparing to take centre stage in the Championship as Fulham take on Charlton at lunchtime.

The Cottagers will come into the clash full of confidence after humbling Reading on Tuesday night in a 4-1 win and will be looking to make it three on the bounce against Lee Bowyers men.

The Addicks, on the other hand, were beaten 2-1 by Swansea City on Wednesday night at The Valley, a result that led them to drop out of the play-off places, but a win against Scott Parker's promotion hopefuls will go a long way to restoring some belief.

Parker has been fairly loyal to his side so far this season but you never know when he may choose to swirch it up.

And here is the XI that he is likely to play tomorrow...

We will likely see one change in the back five. Bettinelli will remain in goal with Bryan, Mawson and Ream in front of him, but expect Steven Sessegnon to replace Odoi at right-bac.

It is unlikely that we will see much in the way of change in midfield either. The trio of Cairney, Arter and Johansen worked perfectly and is starting to look like the most balance selection for Parker to make.

Decordova-Reid impressed in attack against the Royals, despite not finding the net, and with Cavaleiro's levels dropping in recent weeks, it is only fair that the Cardiff loanee continues in the role.

And, of course, Mitrovic and Knockaert will take care of the remaining spots. Both have brilliantly consistent  and, with Cairney pushing up from midfield, will likely create an awful lot of chances.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/the-fulham-xi-parker-is-likely-to-field-against-charlton/

WhiteJC

Two Games Televised

Two of Fulham's fixtures next month have been selected for live coverage on Sky Sports, and will each be played a day earlier than initially scheduled.

First off, local rivals Queens Park Rangers will now visit Craven Cottage on Friday 22nd November, before we head to Wales a week later to face current table toppers Swansea City on Friday 29th November (both 7.45pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/04/two-games-televised

WhiteJC

Fulham v Charlton Athletic
SAT 05 Oct 2019   Championship
Venue: Craven Cottage

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is the joint top-scorer in the Championship this season with seven goals

Fulham boss Scott Parker has no major injury worries ahead of the visit of London rivals Charlton Athletic in the Championship on Saturday (12:30 BST).

The Whites have won their past two games in a five-match unbeaten run.

Charlton will check on forward Chuks Aneke before the trip to Craven Cottage after he picked up a groin issue against Swansea in midweek.

Left-back Ben Purrington (calf and groin) is out while top scorer Lyle Taylor (knee) continues his recovery.

Fellow striker Tomer Hemed (thigh), midfielder Beram Kayal (groin) and defender Lewis Page (Achilles) are also sidelined.

Addicks manager Lee Bowyer has seen his side lose three of their past four games, beating Leeds United in their other outing.

Fulham manager Scott Parker told BBC Radio London:

"I have been back to Charlton as a player and normally get a lot of stick. I left on bad terms and I understand the fans' disappointment when I left

"It was a club that was a large part of my life and one which I owe so much to, because it gave me an opportunity to become the player I became. I hold Charlton in nothing but high regard.

"Lee was a couple of years older than me, a goalscoring midfielder who then went off to Leeds and had a fantastic career.

"We played together at Newcastle and is someone I would call a real close friend, who is doing a fantastic job there."

Charlton boss Lee Bowyer said:

"It's a tough challenge. They are one of the favourites to get promotion and for me they have the best squad in the division, with a lot of Premiership players.

"They have a lot of players that can hurt you so defensively we will have to be right. Once we do that, we have to move the ball quickly.

"Scott is a nice fella and I've known him from when he was younger. We formed a good partnership at Newcastle and he is a winner.

"He will have his lads up for it, the same as I will with our lads. It will be good to come up against him and have a different type of battle."

Match facts

Fulham are unbeaten in their past 10 matches against Charlton in all competitions (W5 D5) since a 2-1 defeat in December 2004 in the Premier League.
    Charlton are winless in 12 away matches against Fulham in all competitions (D3 L9), losing their last three visits by an aggregate score of 10-0.
    Fulham have won 16 of their past 20 home Championship games (including play-offs), losing just once in that run (W16 D3 L1).
    Charlton haven't lost consecutive away league matches since December 2018, losing to Coventry and Barnsley in League One.
    Fulham have lost only one of their past 10 London derbies in the Championship (W5 D4 L1), a 3-1 defeat by Brentford in December 2017.
    Charlton have won their past three league London derbies - they haven't won four consecutively since March 2000 under Alan Curbishley.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49861212

WhiteJC

2 ways Fulham can hurt Charlton this weekend

This weekend, Fulham host Charlton at Craven Cottage in the EFL Championship as both sides look to continue their fine starts to the league season in this London Derby.

Scott Parker's Fulham are currently fifth in the Championship with 18 points from 10 games following a 1-4 win away at Reading, while Charlton are in eighth with 17 points from 10 games following a 1-2 defeat at home to Swansea on Wednesday night.

Fulham could move into the top two and results go their way, while Charlton could move up into the Playoffs if they secure the three points and other results go their way.

Here, we take a look at two ways Fulham could hurt Charlton tomorrow...

Use the wings to effect
Fulham have quick and tricky wingers in the form of Anthony Knockaert and others, and with Joe Bryan and Denis Odoi likely to be overlapping the pair at every opportunity, Charlton will need to be wary of what Fulham can do when they get the ball into wide areas.

Charlton's full-backs aren't the type to press the wingers immediately as seen multiple times against Fulham, but they instead stand off and prefer to show the wingers onto their weaker foot instead of leaving themselves in a foot race if the wingers are able to beat them easily.

Knockaert and co. prefer to come inside when on the ball to get shots away and act as a second striker when the ball's on the opposite flank, so the Charlton defenders know that it's best to push the wingers down the outside so as to show them onto their weaker foot.

Let the midfielders dictate the tempo instead of rushing it
Central midfielders Tom Cairney and Stefan Johansen are allowed to dictate the play with the assurance that defensive midfielder Harry Arter is primed and positioned to help protect the defence, so therefore Cairney and Johansen can get on the ball and help to dictate the play instead of trying to rush their opportunities.

Cairney and Johansen will likely be the ones to arrive late in the box and fill the spaces that are left unoccupied by their team-mates across the 90 minutes, and the central midfield partnership have a goal or assist in them during a game.

Both of them are capable of picking a pass and have the vision to pull it off with Knockaert, Reid and Mitrovic storming forwards to get the goals and create inside the final third, while Cairney and Johansen are more than capable of scoring from range.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-ways-fulham-can-hurt-charlton-this-weekend/

WhiteJC

Charlton get injury blow for Fulham trip

Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer has confirmed that 23-year-old defender Ben Purrington has been ruled out of tomorrow's game with Fulham tomorrow lunchtime.

Bowyer revealed that Purrington has a couple of injuries that he's struggling with; calf and groin injuries that the left-back has struggled to shake off in the past month.

Purrington is just the latest name on the list that is unavailable to face Fulham in a London derby tomorrow, being the sixth player to be ruled out of the clash which could see Charlton sneak into the Playoffs if they take all three points.

Purrington signed for Charlton on a permanent deal in the summer after spending the second half of last season on loan from Rotherham United, making 18 league appearances as Charlton secured promotion to the Championship via the League One Playoffs.

Bowyer said via Charlton's website:

"Ben Purrington is out, he's got a couple of injuries. His calf injury that he's been playing with, his groin has shown up something as well. He's done so well trying to get through all these games. Five, six games he's played with his calf, we can't push him anymore. We've got this break after this game, so hopefully he'll be ready for the Derby game, that's the plan."

The Verdict:

Purrington is a key player for Charlton and he is a big blow after being ruled out of their game tomorrow with the defender being a consistent performer for Lee Bowyer's side. Purrington brings energy down that Charlton left-hand side and performs both his attacking and defensive responsibilities to the best of his ability. However, Purrington's injury is not thought to be serious and could return after the international break.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/charlton-get-injury-blow-for-fulham-trip/

WhiteJC

Cyrus Christie Believes Far More Needs To Be Done To End Racism In Sport

Cyrus Christie is an incredibly interesting character. In a sport that has very few players that are willing to break the mould in terms of their public comments, he is certainly a dying breed.

Christie has been outspoken in the past around the issue of racism, of which he has been a target of in the past. The most well-known example came after Ireland's World Cup play-off loss to Denmark, but his sister was also a target of abuse at one his games this season.

In an enthralling interview in The Times today, the Fulham player discussed the problem in greater depth. He believes that the authorities in the sport need to do much more to stop what has become a scourge, especially with the rise of social media and the current political climate in Britain.

People in higher authority have to do more. Do the FA do enough? Do Kick it Out do enough? It's just a matter of time before a player takes it in to their own hands.

If the guy said it in front of me, and I punch him, I'd be in trouble. I'd love to know how many would come to my face and say it. I'd actually respect them a bit more, because they've showed they got some b*llocks.

I'd never respect a coward. It's just a bunch of cowards now, online, knowing they can get away with it. I don't believe anyone is born racist. It's how they are brought up.

If kids tweet me racial abuse on Twitter, I say, 'all right, it's a kid'. I've replied to a few, then they've apologised.

Christie had a tough upbringing, which no doubt contributed to his strong character today.

While he speaks out often on racism, it is only when the biggest stars in the game open up that the issue becomes part of public consciousness.

Look at the amount of abuse Raheem Sterling has taken. Look at the way he was always portrayed in a different light to Harry Kane.

It's taken a big name like Raheem Sterling, massive Premier League star, with such a big platform, to say something for something to happen. But there are people in the Championship, League One, League Two and Conference who've had racist abuse more than Raheem but nothing is said.

Other people are scared to speak up because they know it could hamper their career. I know a couple of up-and-coming athletes who run for GB, who say they can't speak up on racism because it will affect their livelihood.

https://www.balls.ie/football/cyrus-christie-believes-far-needs-done-end-racial-abuse-sport-418211

WhiteJC

'We told him in training that we knew the goals will come': Aleksandar Mitrovic hails Tom Cairney's return to goalscoring form after Reading brace

Aleksandar Mitrovic has praised Tom Cairney's willingness to shoot from range
    The Fulham captain has scored four goals in his last three Championship games
    Both Mitrovic and Cairney scored braces in the 4-1 away victory over Reading
    Scott Parker's Fulham host Lee Bowyer's Charlton at 12:30pm on Saturday

om Cairney's recent goal glut for Fulham is the result of his team-mates begging him to shoot more, according to the team's scoring expert Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The captain has netted four goals in his last three matches having previously scored just the once this season, with highlights including 25-yard top corner finishes in the recent wins over Wigan and Reading.

His goals have helped Scott Parker's promotion hopefuls up to fifth in the Championship table ahead of their London derby at home to Charlton Athletic on Saturday lunchtime.

Fluham captain Tom Cairney opens his account against Reading with a long range strike

'He has started scoring again this season and that is good for him and the team,' Mitrovic said. 'He is a great player and scorer.

'He knows that he has the ability to come up with goals for the team, with his shooting from distance or running into the area. And he created a lot as well.

'We told him all the time in training that we know the goals will come for him, because he has that ability, especially from long range.

'Last season maybe his confidence dropped a bit and he stopped trying to shoot.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scores the first of his two goals in Fulham's 4-1 victory over Reading

'But we kept telling him and kept pushing him, and now he is back and we are seeing the goals he is scoring - four in the last three games.

'So that is amazing and really contributes towards what the team is trying to achieve.'

Cairney, 28, managed just the one goal last season as Fulham's return to the Premier League proved short-lived.

And it's no coincidence that Cairney has returned to goalscoring form just as Fulham have shaken off their early season inconsistency with back-to-back wins - 2-0 at home to Wigan and 4-1 at Reading.

Tom Cairney celebrates after scoring in Fulham's 2-0 win over Wigan at Craven Cottage

And having scored in five consecutive Championship matches earlier in the campaign, Serbian striker Mitrovic ended a three-game drought with two goals in three minutes at the Madejski Stadium.

'There are a lot of goals in this team,' defender Alfie Mawson said. 'Tom Cairney is flying again - he has five goals in 10, and Mitro has seven in 10 - and both have assists too.

'Let's be honest, nothing went our way in the Premier League last season and most things that could go wrong did go wrong.

'We weren't good enough, didn't play well enough and didn't work hard enough until the last few games it was too late.

'But with Tom, he is a top, top player and our captain for a reason. He has signed a new [five-year] contract which is good for the club and the fans.

'And if you give him chances, outside or inside the box, he is going to score.

'Mitro got 11 last season in the Premier league so he is always going to score in the Championship. I'm not saying it is easy for him, but he is proven.

'He is getting more chances than last season, and we need that if we are going to get promoted.'

Watching brief Fulham vs Charlton Athletic, Championship, Saturday 12.30pm, Live on Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Main Event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7539689/Aleksandar-Mitrovic-hails-Tom-Cairneys-return-goalscoring-form-Reading-brace.html