Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (05/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 05, 2010, 07:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219816

Fulham - Forward Tracked!
And the transfer rumour of the day is?

It`s being inferred by one of the popular tabloids that Mark Hughes has his eye on a forward operating in Portuguese football.

The man in question being Joao Ribiero!

Ribiero is rated at £4 million and plays for Guimares, apart from that we know very little about him, unless you care to enlighten us further!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=219816#ixzz14OC4scZ9

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2010/11/4/1793661/aston-villa-striker-emile-heskey-will-miss-saturdays-match-against?

Aston Villa Striker Emile Heskey Will Miss Saturday's Match Against Fulham

Fulham will be playing Aston VillaSaturday at Craven Cottage.  According to the official Aston Villa Website, Emile Heskey has been ruled out of this game with a knee injury. The story also mentions that Heskey will be out of action for about 3-4 weeks.

The article also mentions that Steve Sidwell is dealing with the flu, and his participation in the upcoming match is still up in the air. On the Fulham injury front, as I wrote the other day, according to the Fulham Chronicle, Dickson Etuhu could possibly be ready to return for the Chelsea match next Wednesday. I will update injuries on both Aston Villa and Fulham leading up to the game when more information is available. 

WhiteJC

http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/west-london-sport/hayesandyeading/2010/11/04/ex-fulham-full-back-pushing-for-wycombe-wanderers-return-113046-27602882/?

Ex-Fulham full-back pushing for Wycombe Wanderers return

ADAM Green insists he is happy at Hayes & Yeading after he was left out of the squad for Saturday's defeat at home to Altrincham.

The 26-year-old is determined to break back into manager Garry Haylock's side as he is now fully recovered from the knee ligament injury that has sidelined him since early September.

And the ex-Fulham full-back says that just being selected for Saturday's FA Cup clash at home to Wycombe Wanderers would be the equal of playing in front of over 67,000 fans at Old Trafford in a 2004 quarter-final tie.

Green, one of only two regulars from last season to still be at the club, returned as an unused substitute in the last round at Poole Town, but he failed to make the bench on Saturday with on-loan QPR youngster Lee Brown preferred.

"I am fully fit and ready to go, but I have to just wait to get back in," said Green. "I do not know whether he (Haylock) just wanted to keep it the same after the win at Poole.

"I was on the bench at Poole, but for some reason I was left out today. Maybe the manager wanted different options on the bench, but that is his decision which I am not going to argue with.

"I love it here as the fans are brilliant. I have been out injured and yet the fans always come up to me and ask me when I will be back – I really appreciate that."

And Green added that the Wycombe tie is just as important as when he was given the nod by then Cottagers boss Chris Coleman to line-up at Old Trafford in a last-eight tie that Fulham eventually lost 2-1 with a double from Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

"For me personally, that is going to be hard to beat as it was the highlight of my 13 games for Fulham," he said. "But to be involved against Wycombe would be just as big for me."

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/11/mid_term_report.php?

Mid Term Report

Ten games in and 10th in the table. A new management team at the helm, some fresh faces on the pitch, much to debate, and an awful injury to our star man. So what do we think of it so far?

On balance, more positives than negatives in my book. Just two wins from ten starts doesn't sound like we've been setting the Prem alight, and our ridiculous inability to win on the road is really starting to bug me. I've just got this inkling of a premonition fate is setting us up to bury this horrible stat at the Bridge next Wednesday...It might just happen!

We could so easily have another four points and be sitting in the top 6. No one side has bested us by any considerable margin except for a predictably feeble effort at Stoke in the Carling Cup. Our two recent defeats saw both opponents score match winning goals that on another day would have been ruled out. Man United were frankly relieved to escape with a point in our first home game, and I genuinely think we would have closed out the away match at Blackpool had Bobby not had to go off after half-time. We were disjointed up front after that, Blackpool raised their game, and we contributed to our downfall with untypically poor defending for both their goals.

The one game that irritates me though is West Ham. A very strong shout for a pen ignored - again one sloppy pass out of defence being punished by a goal, and Fulham missing three big chances to punish the Hammers late on. This is a side heading for relegation methinks and we really should have killed them off.

Add to the mix the huge loss of Zamora, not one member of the first-time squad offers similar qualities, plus injuries elsewhere to Duff (a big influence last year), Stockdale (just as he was looking so good), Etuhu (again, a big presence) and Dembele - and we aint done half bad to sit in the top half of the table.

I know all football clubs suffer injuries, but I feared for the worst when Bobby went down under Henry's challenge. I was a fierce critic of our number 9 two seasons ago. Zamo really couldn't hit the proverbial barn door, I was at a loss to understand why Hodgson had signed him, and remember being bitterly disappointed when he failed to sign for Hull in the summer of 2009.

How I came to eat my words last season. As the World Cup loomed I don't think there was an English centre forward in better form. A fully fit Bobby for the Hamburg final and...well, we will never know. It's gone, so time to move on.

The mid-term report not only gives high marks to the newest members in class, notably Senor Salcido (what a bargain), but also the busy Dembele from Belgium, it must also pay tribute to the new head of school. Mr Hughes has to my mind said all the right things, despite at times being clearly close to boiling point with refereeing decisions and some of the Premier Leagues ruffians. He's had to hit the ground running while trying to find the right blend on the pitch.

We are without doubt a team of many talents, but forging the cohesive unit that produces a well-oiled points gathering side week on week - as Roy managed - is not usually conjured up inside a few weeks. In this respect Mark knows, and we recognise, that with time, things at Fulham FC can only get better and the side stronger.

A week in football is a long time. Whites supporters were all getting a tad jumpy prior to the Wigan game, with three points much needed. Since Saturday we've had a week to bask in some of the best copy of the season. Yes, the win was overdue and deserved. But the manner of our performance was to my mind more profound. We go into Saturday's game with Villa full of confidence, Etuhu, Duff and AJ are on the verge of regaining full fitness, while Houllier's side saw Petrov and Heskey this week undergo surgery - and they've lost 4 of 5 on the road so far.

I'm certainly expecting three points Saturday to delight another full house. After that, trips to Chelsea and Newcastle will provide a clearer picture of just how far we've come since the summer. One thing I do know in the unpredictable world of footie is this, right now it's GREAT to be a supporter of Fulham Football Club!

To anyone needing re-affirmation of what following FFC is all about refer to the latest post to "Flying the Flag" from Drew.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/7943566/Fulham-v-Aston-Villa-match-preview.html

Fulham v Aston Villa: match preview
Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Bolton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday Nov 6 2010, kick-off 15:00 GMT.

Fulham (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Salcido; Gera, Murphy, Greening, Davies; Dembele; Dempsey.
Aston Villa (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Friedel; L Young, Dunne, Collins, Warnock; Downing, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, Albrighton; A Young; Carew.
Referee: Peter Walton. Matches: 4. R1 Y17.

Tale of the game
Villa have failed to score in their last three games, their worst barren goal spell since January when they did not score in four consecutive outings.

They face a Fulham side that returned to winning ways, against Wigan after taking just three points from their previous five League games.

Gabriel Agbonlahor scored both goals in the 2-0 win at Villa Park last season, but a groin strain keeps the striker out. And with Emile Heskey ruled out for a month with a medial knee ligament problem, Villa are light on front men, with John Carew the likely replacement.

Stiliyan Petrov (knee), Andreas Weimann (ankle) and Fabian Delph (knee) are all out but Marc Albrighton is available after a one-match ban.

If Fulham are victorious it will be the first time in 22 games that they have won consecutive Premier League games.
Last season: Villa 2 Fulham 0, Fulham 0 Villa 2.

Stat of the game: Fulham need five goals for 400 in the Premier League.

Betting tip: Villa can't score, while Fulham have Andy Johnson – once of Birmingham – available. Try a 2-0 home win at an inviting 10-1.

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/11/fulham-v-aston-villa-villa-desperate-for-goals.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29

Fulham v Aston Villa: Villa desperate for goals

Aston Villa last season recorded their first league win at Craven Cottage in six years. Unfortunately if they are going to make it two out of two they will have to do it without Gerard Houllier's main man Emile Heskey. The former Liverpool and England striker has been ruled out for a month with a knee injury so the Frenchman is going to have to shuffle the pack.

Houllier is also going to have to find someone who can score. Villa were unable to break down a resolute Birmingham side last weekend in the derby, which was the third time in a row they had failed to find the back of the net in the league, and we all know that goals win games.

Fulham got their first three points since the middle of September under their belts last weekend against Wigan Athletic and Mark Hughes will be hoping home advantage can help them to their first back-to-back success in the league since February.

The Cottagers start the weekend level on points with Villa and victory for either side will see them climb into the top half of the table.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/9160535.stm

Fulham 2-1 Aston Villa
Fulham played well against Wigan and are making steady progress under Mark Hughes, who will probably look to make a few changes in January.

If I lived in London and was offered a season ticket at any of the clubs I would choose Fulham. It is a nice atmosphere at Craven Cottage, a nice part of the world and it is the way football used to be played.

Villa seem to be content to play on the counter-attack and are not letting many players go forward.

No Gabriel Agbonlahor, Stiliyan Petrov and now Emile Heskey does make a difference, but looking at the quality they have with the likes of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing I don't quite get it because they have really good players going forward.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_keeping_a_watchful_eye_over_psv_striker_575441/index.shtml

Fulham Keeping A Watchful Eye Over PSV Striker   

With the January transfer window starting to loom, rumours and speculation are starting to circle, and it is thought that PSV Eindhoven striker, Jonathan Reis is on top of Mark Hughes' wanted list. 

The Brazilian born striker is starting to make a real name for himself lately scoring a hat-trick in PSV's 10-0 whitewash over Feyenoord last month - something which has made him an idol at the club, following in the footsteps of the likes of Ronaldo and Romario.

However, it looks as if Fulham will be in for a fight to bag him this January, as Everton seem to be also very interested in the 21-year-old. 

WhiteJC

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2208445,00.html?

Sidwell, Clark and Beye boosts ahead of Fulham clash
Triple treat before Craven Cottage trip.

Steve Sidwell, Ciaran Clark and Habib Beye should all be fit to face Fulham - after shaking off illness and injury.

Sidwell had been taken ill during the week with gastroenteritis but is now feeling better after returning to training.

Clark suffered a deadleg against Birmingham City in the latter stages of the derby game but the defender-cum-midfielder has managed to see that off.

Beye, meanwhile, missed the game with Alex McLeish's men after sustaining an ankle problem in training but he has declared himself fit for action.

Gabby Agbonlahor, meanwhile, is back in light training but manager Gerard Houllier would be surprised to see him back in action for either the Blackpool or Manchester United games next week.

Houllier said: "Steve was sick but he is feeling better. He has trained. I think it was a bug that sometimes you have for just one day, but now it's gone.

"Habib trained normally and Ciaran is fine.

"He just had a deadleg in the game against Birmingham.

"He didn't do the afternoon training. He did something different because we don't want him to have another knock.

"Gabby is running. He is doing well in terms of fitness.

"I hope to see him as soon as possible but I doubt he will be ready for the Blackpool and Manchester United games."

Emile Heskey, Stiliyan Petrov and Fabian Delph [all knee] are more long-term absentees and will miss the Fulham game through injury.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/DempseyGoals.aspx?

Man On Fire

Clint Dempsey will be looking to add to his tally of five goals so far this season when Aston Villa come to the Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

Dempsey's double last weekend fired Fulham back up the Barclays Premier League table and the US striker is certainly leading the line with aplomb in the absence of Bobby Zamora.

"Bobby has definitely been missed as he was on top form so everyone has been trying to chip in as much as we can," Dempsey told fulhamfc.com.

"Any time you can score it helps your confidence and that was the case for me last weekend. We were down towards the bottom before the game and didn't feel we deserved to be there so now we can look up the table again."

Dempsey is Fulham's current longest serving player and having experienced all the highs and lows over the past few years, Clint only has eyes for the top half of the table nowadays.

"You have to be cautious; you don't want to find yourselves catching a bad run of form and find your team slipping away. The first two seasons I had here we were in a relegation battle that went right down to the wire.

"This time our goal is definitely to finish top-half and push on from there and hopefully find ourselves in a position where we can fight for a Europa League spot.

"The new manager has changed things. We play more of an attacking style and do it a bit different defensively. When everyone is fit it is very competitive for starting spots and I think the manager is doing a great job.

"We also have more experience of being at a high level after finishing 12th last season and reaching the Europa League final. We have the same nucleus of players, pretty much, and a few more that have experience now.

"You have to have a lot of depth in your squad when you're in Europe but this season we can put everything we have into the league."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/DempseyGoals.aspx?#ixzz14PRCCgXR

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/46340/Arsenal_legend_would_love_Premier_League_return_.aspx

Arsenal legend would "love" Premier League return

Author:  Ben Moss

Posted on:05 November 2010 - 11:19

Fulham, Newcastle United and Aston Villa are all reportedly weighing up a cut-price deal for Arsenal legend Gilberto Silva in the January transfer window according to the Sun.

The newspaper suggests the Brazilian international would relish a return to the Premier League, and that he may endeavour to engineer his exit from Panathinaikos at the turn of the year.

The 34-year-old holding midfielder, who was a mainstay of the Arsenal side that went the whole of 2003-2004 season unbeaten, allegedly has plans to live in London when his career is over, but the Sun intimate that Newcastle United, Fulham and Aston Villa are considering ending his two year Premier League hiatus.

A source close to the player told the Sun newspaper: "Gilberto and his family loved London and can see themselves settling down there after his retirement.

"He'd love to go back to the Premier League and Gerard Houllier at Villa may also get involved."

WhiteJC

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7506309

Lawro v Mystic Mug - Fulham Predictions
Mark Lawrenson has told the BBC he expects Fulham to turn Villa over 2-1.

The BBC pundit seems to like Fulham and says if he lived in London he`d go to Craven Cottage and on Villa, "Villa seem to be content to play on the counter-attack and are not letting many players go forward. No Gabriel Agbonlahor, Stiliyan Petrov and now Emile Heskey does make a difference, but looking at the quality they have with the likes of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing I don't quite get it because they have really good players going forward."

Mystic Mug, still smarting from his confidence that we`d beat the Blues (which if we had attacked we would have!) is sitting on the fence this weekend and says a 1-1 draw.

Mystic is currently losing 5-2 in predictions v Lawro!

Read more: http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7506309#ixzz14PSU7xZy

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/aston-villa-fc/2010/11/05/aston-villa-s-steve-sidwell-keen-to-show-fulham-what-they-re-missing-65233-27595503/?

Aston Villa's Steve Sidwell keen to show Fulham what they're missing

Steve Sidwell will be more determined to impress the manager who believes in him than the one who clearly doesn't when Aston Villa head to Fulham this weekend.

Had the summer turned out differently, Sidwell could have been lining up for Mark Hughes' Cottagers against Gerard Houllier's Villa rather than vice-versa in Saturday's Premier League encounter at Craven Cottage.

Sidwell, who hopes to shake off a slight stomach bug in time to play, came within a whisker of joining Fulham in late July after former boss Martin O'Neill sanctioned his sale to the West London club.

However, the deal was struck with Fulham's then manager Roy Hodgson, who subsequently took over at Liverpool, leaving new boss Hughes to decide whether or not to proceed.

Hughes chose not to pursue Fulham's interest in Sidwell, so rather than the flame-haired Londoner returning to his home city, he was left to attempt to kickstart his stalling career in his adopted home of Birmingham.

The prospect of Sidwell doing that seemed bleak on the eve of the season, with O'Neill, the man who had deemed him surplus to requirements, still in post and an Achilles' problem sustained in pre-season hampering his hopes of a fresh start.

However, that frustrating scenario was to change when O'Neill rocked the club by storming out five days before the Premier League kick-off with his exact reasons for resigning remaining unclear to this day.

Although Sidwell was still sidelined through injury, like the rest of his previously out-of-favour Villa team-mates, he was given a clean slate and a new lease of life by the unexpected change in the manager's office.

Sidwell missed the interim period under caretaker manager Kevin MacDonald, but was instantly afforded a chance by Houllier when he played in the new boss's debut defeat of Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup tie at Villa Park.

"We knew when a new manager comes in, there are new ideas, fresh ideas and it is a clean slate for everyone," explains Sidwell. "All the lads are still going on that, trying to stake a claim. Come January he is maybe going to want to freshen it up a little bit but we'll see.

"It is all about opinions. Things like that happen under certain managers, you don't play under certain managers. Under certain managers you do get a chance. Once you get a chance it is about taking it and staying in the team."

Since signing for £5 million from Chelsea two summer ago, Sidwell has been in and out of the team – more out than in.

However, with Stiliyan Petrov and Fabian Delph sidelined by knee problems for the foreseeable future, he knows there is an opportunity for him to clinch a regular midfield slot.

In fact, so keen is the former Reading and Chelsea dynamo to re-establish himself in Villa's starting XI after long spells on the sidelines that he has delayed surgery on his own ongoing troubles to play through the pain barrier

Not that the 27-year-old's discomfort is noticeable. Sidwell was still making crunching tackles for the claret and blue cause during Sunday's Second City stalemate with rivals Birmingham City, even though he was substituted early in the second-half to protect his heel from further harm.

The ex-Arsenal trainee's all action contributions are a given and there is the growing feeling that it will only take one goal from a trademark burst into the box to finally restore his scoring confidence after a series of near misses.

Sidwell's last Premier League goal for Villa was his quickfire cracker in the classic 3-2 victory at Everton almost two years ago, while he has not scored in any competition since netting against Doncaster in an FA Cup tie in February 2009.

"The misfortune with Stiliyan opens doors for other people," suggests Sidwell. "Hopefully, if called upon, I can go in and do a good job.

"It is not nice, especially for him as well because he is fantastic player, he is our captain and a gentleman off the pitch.

"Hopefully I'll go in if called upon and do a job and see where it takes me.

"It is always frustrating when you are not playing. Obviously a new manager has come in, seen the team that he wanted to play and has stuck with it.

"They have done great. I've just got to wait for my opportunity and wait for a chance and hopefully this is it.

"Hopefully. At the minute we've got Stan out and Fabian Delph out, so we are a bit shy on numbers. But we've got enough quality in the team to dig deep and get us through it."

While it seemed likely that Petrov and summer signing Stephen Ireland would be the core characters in Villa's midfield this season, circumstances have cleared the way for Sidwell and Nigel Reo-Coker to patrol the centre of the park.

Having first met playing junior football in Croydon, the combative duo are close friends on and off the pitch and Sidwell is as delighted at Reo-Coker's resurgence as his own return to action.

"Me and Nigel go back a long time, obviously playing against each other from my Arsenal days and his Wimbledon days and we used to play for the same borough," Sidwell recalls.

"I've grown up knowing Nigel a long, long time. If we play together hopefully we can gel quickly and settle in and get results for the team.

"He's done very well. I think if you'd have asked anyone, even himself going into this year, would he be signing a new contract before Gerard Houllier took over, it would've probably been 50/50.

"But now, looking at the way he is playing, he is enjoying himself, so it should be there or thereabouts done.

"Nigel is a good player. He has shown that before, that is why he has come to this club. I remember his first season here – he did very well.

"We all know what Nigel has got in the locker, the same as everyone else. Everyone has got quality and they just need to show it on the day."

Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/midlands-birmingham-sport/west-midlands-sports/aston-villa-fc/2010/11/05/aston-villa-s-steve-sidwell-keen-to-show-fulham-what-they-re-missing-65233-27595503/2/#ixzz14PT0SCwS

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1326892/Fulham-v-ASTON-VILLA-Emile-Heskey-injury-hands-recall-striker-John-Carew.html?

Fulham v ASTON VILLA: Emile Heskey injury hands recall to striker John Carew

Aston Villa striker John Carew has been recalled to the starting line-up for the Barclays Premier League clash with Fulham at Craven Cottage.

The Norway international will replace Emile Heskey, who is facing a month out of action after undergoing knee surgery yesterday.

Fellow striker Gabriel Agbonlahor is still not ready to return after a groin operation, although he has started light training.

But winger Marc Albrighton is available after serving a one-match ban against Birmingham for his sending-off against Burnley in the Carling Cup.   Midfielder Steve Sidwell has recovered from a stomach bug and full-back Habib Beye is also in contention after overcoming an ankle problem.

Provisional squad: Friedel, Luke Young, Beye, Collins, Dunne, Cuellar, Clark, Warnock, Albrighton, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Ireland, Downing, Ashley Young, Carew, Delfouneso, Bannan, Lichaj.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1326892/Fulham-v-ASTON-VILLA-Emile-Heskey-injury-hands-recall-striker-John-Carew.html?#ixzz14PTHlIQM

WhiteJC

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/11/05/fulham-v-aston-villa-mat-kendrick-s-big-match-preview-97319-27606921/?

Fulham v Aston Villa: Mat Kendrick's big match preview

The lowdown on this weekend's fixture which sees Aston Villa travelling to Craven Cottage to take on Fulham.

FULHAM v VILLA

WHO'S HOT: Ciaran Clark – the rookie defender celebrated signing his new contract with an impressive first performance in midfield against Blues.

WHO'S NOT: Stephen Ireland was ordered to get his act together by Gerard Houllier, who questioned his workrate.

LAST FIVE GAMES

VILLA.................................................LDLWD

FULHAM.............................................DDLLW

VILLA (from): Friedel, Guzan, Beye, Cuellar, Warnock, Collins, Dunne, Clark, Lichaj, Sidwell, Ireland, Reo-Coker, Bannan, Downing, Albrighton, A Young, Carew. Injured: Agbonlahor (groin), Petrov (knee), Beye (ankle), Delph (knee), Wiemann (ankle), Heskey (knee).

THE OPPOSITION: There is not much to choose between tenth-placed Fulham and Villa in 14th with both sides on 12 points.

Referee: P Walton (Northamptonshire).

■ FORECAST: Mat Kendrick...............Villa win.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2010/11/05/fulham-v-aston-villa-mat-kendrick-s-big-match-preview-97319-27606921/?#ixzz14PTemRn1

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-hitman-eyes-top-half-finish-1115081.html?

Cottagers hitman eyes top-half finish

Clint Dempsey has revealed that Fulham's main aim is to secure a top-10 finish this season with one eye on the Europa League places.
The United States international hitman has done admirably in handling the pressure of leading the line in the absence of Bobby Zamora this season with five goals so far. And, following last week's win against Wigan, Dempsey is hopeful that Mark Hughes' side can add another three points to their tally when Aston Villa arrive at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Dempsey is aware that the Premier League table is still very tight and they could go either way depending on a few results. However he is looking towards the top-half and even the European places as he would relish the chance of another taste of Europa League action having reached the final last season.

He told the club's website: "This time our goal is definitely to finish top-half and push on from there and hopefully find ourselves in a position where we can fight for a Europa League spot.

"The new manager has changed things. We play more of an attacking style and do it a bit different defensively. When everyone is fit it is very competitive for starting spots and I think the manager is doing a great job.

"We also have more experience of being at a high level after finishing 12th last season and reaching the Europa League final. We have the same nucleus of players, pretty much, and a few more that have experience now.

"You have to have a lot of depth in your squad when you're in Europe but this season we can put everything we have into the league."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6487816/Fulham-v-Aston-Villa-preview?

Fulham v Aston Villa preview

Team news for Saturday's Premier League clash between Fulham and Aston Villa at Craven Cottage.

Villa striker John Carew has been recalled to the starting line-up for the game with the Cottagers.

The Norway international will replace Emile Heskey, who is facing a month out of action after undergoing knee surgery yesterday.

Fellow striker Gabriel Agbonlahor is still not ready to return after a groin operation, although he has started light training.

But winger Marc Albrighton is available after serving a one-match ban against Birmingham for his sending-off against Burnley in the Carling Cup.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell has recovered from a stomach bug and full-back Habib Beye is also in contention after overcoming an ankle problem.

Fulham team news to follow......

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, Luke Young, Beye, Collins, Dunne, Cuellar, Clark, Warnock, Albrighton, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Ireland, Downing, Ashley Young, Carew, Delfouneso, Bannan, Lichaj.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/11/premiership/fulham-v-aston-villa-match-poll

FULHAM V ASTON VILLA – MATCH POLL

A clash of two new managers with lots to prove. Both Fulham and Aston Villa have looked good at times under their new regimes, however neither have quite the points tally they would desire at this stage of the season.

Both clubs will have an eye on European qualification at the end of the season and will be relieved to see a packed bunch ahead of them in the table, as their points deficit is not yet decisive.

Villa will be without long-term injury concerns Emile Heskey and club captain Stiliyan Petrov, and with Fulham getting key players back from injury, this swing in fortunes may be all-important.

FFC Prediction: 2-1

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/SalcidoInterview.aspx?

Action Man

Carlos Salcido was certainly not short of admirers following his impressive performances at the 2010 World Cup Finals, but once the Mexican international had investigated Fulham's interest and visited the Club's Training Ground, there was no stopping the defender from settling in SW6.

"After the World Cup in South Africa, and I thank God for this, lots of teams showed an interest and made some offers," revealed the Mexican international defender. "That was obviously a good thing.

"I wanted to make a change as I'd had four years at PSV, even though I still had two years left on my contract. Everything has a natural cycle and there's always a point when you realise you need a change, when you need to look for other targets and challenges. A footballer's career is a short one.

"After the World Cup in South Africa I knew about Fulham's interest and the truth is I've always been a fan of the Premier League. I'm a big fan of the style of play and the physical contact – for me that's real football!

"To become a part of that was really excited me so my agent and I started to learn about Fulham and understand what the Club was all about. What I was most interested in, and what really encouraged me that this was a good Club, was that it was a full of decent people and was like a family.

"There is a great atmosphere in the changing room and the Club is full of decent people who treat you well. There is a great vibe among the players and that always helps you to fulfill your objectives and ambitions.

"So when I came to visit Fulham I watched training, inspected the set-up and from the very first day I said to myself 'I want to be here'. It's great that I'm here now and that Fulham have given me the chance to make that happen."

Salcido was no stranger to Craven Cottage prior to his move to Fulham, having played an international friendly against Ghana in SW6, and the defender is clearly enjoying the unique charm and atmosphere of a ground steeped in history and tradition.

"It's a good atmosphere at the Cottage," said Salcido. "I actually knew the stadium already as I'd played for Mexico against Ghana at the Cottage. I thought it was a charming place then.

"Even though it's only a small stadium the fans really make themselves heard and get you going. They're always behind the Team and it's a great vibe. You don't need to be in a big stadium to feel the passion of the fans."

Salcido's impressive start for Fulham on the pitch has been matched by the manner in which he has embraced his new surroundings off the pitch. The Salcido family is now firmly ensconced in their new home and Carlos is looking forward to a happy and successful future at Fulham Football Club.

"My family is very happy. They arrived just last week so we've had a bit of work to do – moving into a new house, ordering furniture and getting things sorted out. My wife and my two kids, a seven year-old boy and a four year-old girl, are getting used to this 'monster' city! I say that because it's so big but we hope to start the kids in their school and begin our normal life here now."

Catch the full interview with Carlos by Premier League World on Sky Sports on Thursday 25th November.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/SalcidoInterview.aspx?#ixzz14PZUqkXm

WhiteJC

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23894948-clint-dempsey-sure-hes-on-the-up.do?

Clint Dempsey sure he's on the up

Clint Dempsey is determined to build on his double against Wigan when he leads Fulham's attack again against Aston Villa tomorrow.

With Bobby Zamora sidelined by a knee problem and Andy Johnson only just coming back from his serious knee injury, the pressure has been on Dempsey up front.

The striker responded to the challenge last Saturday with both goals as Fulham claimed their first win in seven.

He said: "Bobby has definitely been missed as he was on top form so everyone has been trying to chip in as much as we can.

"Any time you can score it helps your confidence and that was the case for me against Wigan last week. We were down towards the bottom before the game and didn't feel we deserved to be there. Now we can look up the table again."