watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli

Started by Denver Fulham, October 05, 2019, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Fabri made 16 saves last year and a few errors, then was dropped because he wasn't considered good enough. Even after letting in 30 goals in 34 games in previous season.

Betts has made 15 saves this year, it's only fair he is judged now.

Forever Fulham

More cohesion needed in the back line.  With proper support, he can do the job alright.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Forever Fulham on October 12, 2019, 01:59:01 PM
More cohesion needed in the back line.  With proper support, he can do the job alright.

You won't get much better at this level than Odoi, Mawson, Ream and Bryan.

The Rational Fan

We have had a few games where the other teams goalie has been better than Betts.

Andy S

That's because they have been under more pressure!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Andy S on October 13, 2019, 10:02:17 PM
That's because they have been under more pressure!

True, but using that logic Betts should have been the best goalie every game last year.

Twig

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 12, 2019, 10:23:45 AM
Fabri made 16 saves last year and a few errors, then was dropped because he wasn't considered good enough. Even after letting in 30 goals in 34 games in previous season.

Betts has made 15 saves this year, it's only fair he is judged now.

I have challenged you before on this but you never respond. I saw all but one of Fabri's UK based appearances including preseason. His command of his area and his decision making was the worst I have ever witnessed. How many of his appearances did you ever actually go and watch live? Then tell me how, based on those performances, Fabri could have merited any further game time?

Twig

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 12, 2019, 03:45:46 PM

I don't think we have a poor back four but they have been roundly criticised on here several times this season so how do you now arrive at the conclusion that, you won't get much better? Just wondering.

RaySmith

Betts is certainly much better than Rico, who seemed to lose complete confidence, especially with high balls - he seemed unable to catch a ball, and had no control of his area.

Betts has done well this season imo.

Riversider

Asmir Begovic and Alex McCarthy are both far, far, far better keepers than Bettinelli will ever be, and both keepers are currently available,  either one of those two in January and a top class right back and we will get promoted.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: RaySmith on October 15, 2019, 07:12:00 AM
Betts is certainly much better than Rico, who seemed to lose complete confidence, especially with high balls - he seemed unable to catch a ball, and had no control of his area.

Betts has done well this season imo.

I nearly fell of my chair reading this.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Twig on October 15, 2019, 06:31:27 AM

I don't think we have a poor back four but they have been roundly criticised on here several times this season so how do you now arrive at the conclusion that, you won't get much better? Just wondering.

This season, it hasn't been the back 4 letting us down. Its been the attack (bar last few games).

Mawson is easily one of the best CBs in the league. Bryan is the best full back. Ream has discovered his form again, and Odoi is a solid player. Without spending huge, there aren't many defences better at this level.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 13, 2019, 09:55:17 PM
We have had a few games where the other teams goalie has been better than Betts.

Bettinelli has made 15 saves this season, and conceded 10 goals. That is because of 2 reasons

1. We don't allow the opposition more than a couple of chances a game
2. Bettinelli, when called upon, has conceded 40% of opposition shots on target

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: Riversider on October 15, 2019, 07:23:24 AM
Asmir Begovic and Alex McCarthy are both far, far, far better keepers than Bettinelli will ever be, and both keepers are currently available,  either one of those two in January and a top class right back and we will get promoted.

Agree. Sessegnon has until January to prove his worth, or unfortunately for him, we may have to look in the market.

McCarthy would be a solid buy, but his distribution is lacking. That has to be a priority when looking for a new keeper, considering how we play.

RaySmith

I think Betts is adapting quite well to the system we play, and his distribution is improving.

snarks

Statistics to analyse Betts are fairly pointless. The Reading goal for example was, I think, their second shot on target, he had no chance with it, nor would most other keepers in the division.  That's because the team are limiting the other sides shots that Betts has to deal with, as a consequence other teams are generally scoring "good" goals against us, unlike last season. 

Actual goals that can be put purely down to him are in my view 1, that being Cardiff away. As many have indicated other goals have been the result of defensive lapses. Yes goalkeepers are easy to blame and perception counts for a lot, but the idea that Betts  is solely responsible for any goal is just wrong.

RaySmith

Didn't ball hit a bobble and go over his outstretched hand v Cardiff? - not much he could do about it.

The goal was caused by losing possession  further up the field, and a   defence splitting pass, with Ream out of position after   going forward with the ball, and an attacker running through to shoot unimpeded, but Betts would have saved the shot if  the ball hadn't hit a bump and  bounced over his outstretched   hand.
Later in the game  he made a crucial save from a point blank shot.

Generally,  he seems a  safe pair of hands, especially compared to Rico, and   is building a rapport with  the defenders in front of him.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 15, 2019, 10:31:17 AM
Quote from: Riversider on October 15, 2019, 07:23:24 AM

Agree. Sessegnon has until January to prove his worth, or unfortunately for him, we may have to look in the market.

McCarthy would be a solid buy, but his distribution is lacking. That has to be a priority when looking for a new keeper, considering how we play.

Begovic isn't the keeper he once was and is now in semi retirement playing in the Azerbaijani top flight.

Alex McCarthy's form has also dropped off a cliff, he's no better then Bettinelli.

The idea that we'd need to dip into the transfer market to cover Sess at right back seems a little far fetched given for that position we already have ; Christie, Odoi and Fossey. That's before you consider Drameh and Reed as emergency cover.

toshes mate

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 15, 2019, 10:26:51 AM
This season, it hasn't been the back 4 letting us down. Its been the attack (bar last few games).
I'll never stop being surprised at how rapidly you sum up the faults in a Fulham team that is a) the third highest scoring in the division and b) has the second best goal difference. Bettinelli is a good Championship quality keeper.  No doubt there will be one or two who look apparently better on any given day of the week but there'll always be 'keepers much worse than he is at this level.  And FWIIW the problems this season have been down to midfield possession going down blind alleys trying to force issues instead of recycling and moving opponents around until they leave openings that can be exploited.  I am hopeful that will come in time but it needs a disciplined midfield prepared to work hard to make it work.  Disciplined and organised teams have disciplined and organised individual players. 

Chutney

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 15, 2019, 10:26:51 AM
Quote from: Twig on October 15, 2019, 06:31:27 AM

Mawson is easily one of the best CBs in the league. Bryan is the best full back. Ream has discovered his form again, and Odoi is a solid player. Without spending huge, there aren't many defences better at this level.

Bryan is far from the best full back in this division. He's not even the best left back.

Furthermore, If any of the players you've listed get injured we go from a top 6 defence to a bottom 6 defence, not that we can do anything about that until Jan. I think Ream and Hector could be a dream CB combo.

I agree that the forwards have let us down, we need to be more clinical, but our defenders have also cost us points, the full backs especially.
C O Y W