watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bettinelli

Started by Denver Fulham, October 05, 2019, 03:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie88

I'm sorry but I think he was at fault for both. First goal should've been saved, he tried to save with his foot and it went straight underneath it. Second goal he came a couple steps out as if to claim the ball only to stop and the header looped over him. If he had better judgement it would've been a routine save

Mince n Tatties

As an ex keeper I always try and defend them,its a hard bloody job,as your in the limelight all the time.
Betts is an average Championship keeper imo,that's all nothing more.
If their keeper was between our sticks today,think we might have nicked the game 2-1.

Luka

Quote from: grandad on October 05, 2019, 03:51:46 PM
Can't really blame him for the 2 today.
[/quote
Quote from: Fernhurst on October 05, 2019, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: grandad on October 05, 2019, 03:51:46 PM
Can't really blame him for the 2 today.

Thought his positioning was definitely suspect for their second goal Grandad. Too far off his line.
We all have different views though

Should have got a foot on the first and for the second goal he was in no mans land.

Texas White

He did ok. Defense let him down for both. Goalkeepers is never going to stop everything.

Matt10

The only question I had was on the 2nd goal because I felt he was off his line a bit too early, but he did have to prepare for crosses as they kept 5 men in our box at that time.

The comments about distribution being slow is laughable to be honest. We build from the back. Please understand that. Emphasis on build. You don't say that you build from the back, then drill a hospital pass to your winger or a hoof ball to your very slow forward to run off of. In a system that is build on playing where you are facing, why on earth would we try to play the ball faster? That's just asking to invite more trouble. We move the ball, by building avenues for passing lanes - which are created because opposing players move out of position gradually. It's not like we are sitting there and waiting for someone to aggressively over-mark. Please think about how you get open to receive a pass, you don't run away from the ball, you run towards it. We mix this up by running  diagonally, or showing to. Since most teams we play against man-mark our goal kicks, distribution has to be measured.

If you put in Rodak next match, he will do just the same as Betts. It's a system in place that Parker has drilled into every player. It's not easy, which is why not every team in the Championship can pull it off. Instead of slagging off our player constantly, I'd rather be proud as hell that we have a system that reaps on the rewards rather than is scared of the risks.

Fulham1959

No goalkeeper 30 or 40 years ago would have tried to stop that first shot with their feet, especially as it was more or less straight at Bettinelli.  It was going at a fair pace, I agree, but why do goalkeepers try to stop shots with their feet when they are allowed to use their hands ?

Clearly coaching techniques have changed radically, as have the rules for goalkeepers, but I still don't understand why the use of hands isn't coached as being the first best option in trying to stop most kinds of shots.

Matt10

Quote from: Fulham1959 on October 05, 2019, 07:25:37 PM
No goalkeeper 30 or 40 years ago would have tried to stop that first shot with their feet, especially as it was more or less straight at Bettinelli.  It was going at a fair pace, I agree, but why do goalkeepers try to stop shots with their feet when they are allowed to use their hands ?

Clearly coaching techniques have changed radically, as have the rules for goalkeepers, but I still don't understand why the use of hands isn't coached as being the first best option in trying to stop most kinds of shots.

That ball was viciously struck low. Are you quicker to get down to the ground or are your feet already there? That is some fine margin. I can't imagine any keeper dropping their entire body weight that fast to be able to get their hands there. I'm a former keeper as well - that would be an incredibly tough save with the hands.

Plodder

The fact is that some people want Bettinelli out, but instead of simply stating that they think Rodak is the better keeper or that we need someone better, they try to justify a subjective opinion by inventing all sorts of imaginary problems with his performance in every match.

Jamie88

Quote from: Matt10 on October 05, 2019, 07:32:18 PM
Quote from: Fulham1959 on October 05, 2019, 07:25:37 PM

That ball was viciously struck low. Are you quicker to get down to the ground or are your feet already there? That is some fine margin. I can't imagine any keeper dropping their entire body weight that fast to be able to get their hands there. I'm a former keeper as well - that would be an incredibly tough save with the hands.

He still missed it though.

simplyfulham

Quote from: Statto on October 05, 2019, 05:03:23 PM
Can't fault him for either of the goals today, but as I overheard someone say on the way out, if you swapped the keepers today we'd have won 4-0

Ludicrously speculative.

Facts Not Fiction

On watching the highlights

1. Shot was straight at him, should've easily saved
2. He was lobbed from a yards out, poor positioning

He needs to be replaced if we are serious about promotion.

ealex40

My main concern with Bettinelli, is how much time he takes to release the ball with the tippy tap habit he has been instructed to adopt. I hate to think how we would do if we ever get promoted again. I watch most of the Premier League games and rarely see those goalkeepers  stand with their foot on top of the ball, wondering what to do with it. I reckon the top opposing coaches would have a plan to make our strategy fall apart. May be our plan is to be this slow throughout the game , so the ref won't know the difference near the end of the match, when we are deliberately wasting time to hold on to a lead.   

..FOF..

Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on October 06, 2019, 12:32:52 AM
On watching the highlights

1. Shot was straight at him, should've easily saved
2. He was lobbed from a yards out, poor positioning

He needs to be replaced if we are serious about promotion.

Not Betts's fault... Not sure what the highlights showed but with the first goal, the ball went to 3 players without any real challenge by Fulham.

I have been calling for Rodak to be given a chance previously but in this game his performance should be enough for Betts to keep his place.

Fulham, defenders or not, should practice closing in on the opponent with more urgency especially in and around our box.

Marinelloguthrie

No problem with his distribution but was caught of his line a bit for the 2nd goal..

As a goalkeeper i would say the save that their keeper made from Bobby's long shot although looking spectacular was an easier save to make than their 1st goal.

To me Betts is a decent championship keeper who has a strong character. Better to be a good confident and mentally strong keeper than an excellent one with a fragile confidence.

Mickeyboro

Try Rodak. If we don't he will be a success at another club like the Cardiff guy. What's to lose?

Marinelloguthrie

Quote from: Mickeyboro on October 06, 2019, 08:21:21 AM
Try Rodak. If we don't he will be a success at another club like the Cardiff guy. What's to lose?

Football matches......

Would be change for change sake, no need yet..

..FOF..

First concede: Sess was late to close down the far side, then the cross came into the box and both players weren't marked.

Second concede: Ball came into the box and Fulham committed 3 players to shut him down but failed and left the guy in the corner with no one marking him.

If Betts's mistake is part of the failure of the whole team then I would agree.... but I don't think he can be singled out this time around.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: simplyfulham on October 05, 2019, 09:13:06 PM
Can't fault him for either of the goals today, but as I overheard someone say on the way out, if you swapped the keepers today we'd have won 4-0

Ludicrously speculative.

I don't know if their goalkeeper would have saved either of our goals, but really doubt Betts would have saved that BC.Reid strike that their goalie saved. Their goalie had a better game than Betts

grandad

For the 1st goal he didn't have a full view as a defender made a lunge to block the shot & partially obscured his view.
For the 2nd there were 3 Charlton players in front of him which he had to cover. Whether they were  interfering with play or not they did distract MB to some degree.
Where there's a will there's a wife

grandad

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 06, 2019, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: simplyfulham on October 05, 2019, 09:13:06 PM

Ludicrously speculative.

I don't know if their goalkeeper would have saved either of our goals, but really doubt Betts would have saved that BC.Reid strike that their goalie saved. Their goalie had a better game than Betts

Their GK had to have a better game than Betts or it would have been a thrashing.
Where there's a will there's a wife