watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cyrus Christie - The Times

Started by Weybridge White, October 06, 2019, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weybridge White

Double page article in Saturday's Times on Cyrus Christie.  It makes rather sad reading especially when he says about Fulham fans - 'I know they don't like me - I get booed coming on as a sub - get booed in the warm up'.  I think we need to remember that these young men have feelings just like anyone else.  Those who quickly criticise Christie, Bettenelli, Stephen Sessegnon etc should maybe pause before they do so.

ScalleysDad

Milo

It's an odd one isn't it. I think it's just people look for scapegoats and he was a symbol of an ill fated Prem campaign.

Really think it's best he moves on to pastures new..

Tabby

I think there is a difference between being critical and hostile. People were critical of Baird and Ream, the Christie situation is on a different level.

Riversider

Milo

Quote from: Tabby on October 06, 2019, 08:21:29 PM
I think there is a difference between being critical and hostile. People were critical of Baird and Ream, the Christie situation is on a different level.

No idea why people actively boo him though.. weak target? No idea. Is it actually him they are booing or the manager.. because when it was at its worst was under Ranieri (who was, I think, the worst manager we've ever had.. in my lifetime).

YankeeJim

Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Sgt Fulham

I wish I had access to the full article. When he makes a general statement about the fans not liking him that does slightly annoy me. The small minority may boo him when he comes on but during warm ups, really?? Despite being a fairly clueless player and weak link I hear polite, if not rapturous applause when he is subbed on. As said above, I hope we part ways in January, for his sake and ours.

As for the racism stuff, he's absolutely right in that there is no place for it. But using how Sterling and Kane are treated and putting it down to race is way off the mark. Sterling used to be criticised for his behaviour and lack of composure on the world stage. He has developed under Pep and is now a great player and well loved. Kane is loved as a top goalscorer but also gets a lot of mockery and abuse about the way he looks and speaks. It's not always about race.

Fulham 442

I don't think Christie has really had the chance to prove himself at Fulham.  Having said that from what I've seen of him he hasn't been good enough but I wouldn't never boo him and certainly can't fault his effort.  He always puts in a shift. So sorry but its just not a good fit for club or player.

Weybridge White

To be fair he does say that he gets a lot of abuse from SOME Fulham fans.  Not all.

ScalleysDad

I suspect January is going to be busy. The likes of Christie and Kebano who are not featuring at all might be off and the likes of Kmac could get a loan deal and come back on the coaching staff, probably doing the 'don't mess with me' and 'let them know you are there' modules.
Christie comes across a decent fella and smart with it so I actually hope he stays. He could do a decent job at Motspur Park.

Barrett487

Quote from: Milo on October 06, 2019, 08:17:22 PM
Really think it's best he moves on to pastures new..

Sadly i think you're right, however it's a sad state of affairs that a player who has put on a Fulham shirt should feel that way. He hasn't disgraced our team, this awful booing has arisen from some poor performances. We obviously saw something in him to buy him, he just hasn't performed for us.

fulhamben

I can only remember the one time that there was booing when he came on, and that was down to the fact that we were losing and we decided to sub a right back for a right back, nothing to do with the fact it was Christie, but thebpoation he played in
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bog

Footballers are not robots. I recall Chris Baird used to get booed when he came on as a sub until Roy arrived. They are human beings, if off form it is not their fault. It has just not worked out for Christie here. I thought he looked good when he first arrived an thought him to be a replacement for Fredericks. But it did not work out.  I hope he finds a club where it does.

092.gif   

Twig

Twig

I simply do not understand so called fans who regularly boo a player.  What on earth do they think they are achieving? Some on here have now turned their insistent ire on Betts, it's cowardly and cheap.

Robbie

Never had a problem with CC.  But a two page spread in the Times?!

Statto

Complex issue for me.

No one should get booed by their own fans, especially at Fulham. And the football community in general needs to be mindful of mental health issues to which footballers are particularly susceptible given the pressure they're under.

On the other hand, the money these lads are on, in most cases they should be able to handle a bit of verbal abuse. They can always walk away and do a 'normal' job on £20k per year if they don't like it. Plenty have it worse than Christie, eg Crouch who got called "freeeaaaaak" every week and you never hear him moan about it.

In Christie's case he just strikes me as having a chip on his shoulder TBH. With articles like this and his twitter post about his sister, among other things, he seems to embrace the limelight and confrontation rather than shy away from it. Also to mention the booing he gets at FFC in an article largely about racism seems, intentionally or unintentionally, to conflate the two and that's bad form IMO. I agree with others that it's not worked out for him at Fulham and the best thing to do is probably just go. 

Jem

The sadest thing is if that is how he feels the fans think of him why should he play for the shirt? It's a two way street.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

hovewhite

Some of the comments on this board to this topic says it all,this board used to be so much nicer.