watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cyrus Christie - The Times

Started by Weybridge White, October 06, 2019, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

What a sad state of affairs, never ever booded  one of our own team.

Christie deserves a new home.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Fulham 442

Definitely best for all parties that he moves on asap. Certainly not in SP's plans.

Southcoastffc

I read the whole article. It makes for troubling and depressing reading. Christie gives a lot of examples of meeting racism and bigotry. He also says that Parker doesn't appear to 'fancy him' and hasn't told him why or what's wrong. Christie comes across as an intelligent, admirable guy. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fulham 442

I read the whole article. It makes for troubling and depressing reading. Christie gives a lot of examples of meeting racism and bigotry. He also says that Parker doesn't appear to 'fancy him' and hasn't told him why or what's wrong. Christie comes across as an intelligent, admirable guy. 

I haven't read the article but I certainly don't think SP is not selecting him for any other reason than that he just doesn't rate him.

70sPimlico

Some football fans are a bit sad really. Our sad ones seem to be slightly unhinged, middle aged to elderly blokes who just seem to get unhealthily angry about certain things. We do have a genuinely good bunch of fans and these ones do tend to stand out a bit. They seem to be quite often alone.

I've said on here before that Christie strikes me as a player that needs to be appreciated. At Barnsley, when he was warming up and and came on, the unhinged minority got to him. I said it in a post after the game. When he came on he was a shell. You could just see it and his touch was just not there. He had no chance.

I will never be able to prove this, because it won't happen but I'm certain if he came on to cheering and we sung his name etc, I think we'd see a totally different player.

I'm a bit of a softie at times and dont like to see our players in this situation

ALG01

The problem christie has in his first season he was not good enough, that became worse in the prem and he has not thought hard enough about how to improve because he has sufficient talent. He does give up and that is unforgiveable, he is selfish and wateful when attacking, he needs to look to himself.

Having said that we should never abuse our own players on matchday, or become personal unless it is measured as i think i have just been. When he came on it was the manager not him that was at issue... we needed a different option that time not a full back.

I do think he needs a fresh start.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Fulham 442 on October 06, 2019, 09:56:21 PM

I haven't read the article but I certainly don't think SP is not selecting him for any other reason than that he jiiust doesn't rate him.
I wasn't intending to criticize Parker, and certainly not implying there's any nefarious reason for CC not playing, just reiterating what Christie is reported as saying.  As others have said, all in all a sad situation.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lighthouse

Quote from: 70sPimlico on October 06, 2019, 09:56:48 PM
Some football fans are a bit sad really. Our sad ones seem to be slightly unhinged, middle aged to elderly blokes who just seem to get unhealthily angry about certain things. We do have a genuinely good bunch of fans and these ones do tend to stand out a bit. They seem to be quite often alone.

I've said on here before that Christie strikes me as a player that needs to be appreciated. At Barnsley, when he was warming up and and came on, the unhinged minority got to him. I said it in a post after the game. When he came on he was a shell. You could just see it and his touch was just not there. He had no chance.

I will never be able to prove this, because it won't happen but I'm certain if he came on to cheering and we sung his name etc, I think we'd see a totally different player.

I'm a bit of a softie at times and dont like to see our players in this situation

I really don't think that the hate and bile thrown at our players by some fans can be narrowed down to a generational thing. Some younger fans can be intolerant and quick to shout and boo. As an old Fulham fan I will admit to tutting a poor performance and even swearing under my breath. But that is as far as it goes. I think, as we see on these pages occasionally. The love of the game has been lost to wanting quick success and any failure to perform or win is met with angry exchanges. In the old days there was plenty of abuse and racist chants. Now those chants have real hatred spat out with it. Not comfortable for any fan or generation to listen to.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Fulham 442 on October 06, 2019, 09:56:21 PM

I haven't read the article but I certainly don't think SP is not selecting him for any other reason than that he just doesn't rate him.

I am confused how Cyrus can be confused about why SP doesn't fancy him. Fulham is a possession based passing squad. Passing does not seem to be a strength for Cyrus.

Spirit of 2000

Christie needs to leave the club for the good of his own career. He is capable of being a reasonable squad player at this level but not a first team option for a promotion seeking outfit

Mince n Tatties

Obviously something affecting his mind at moment, that is the reason he isn't on bench,not his ability.
I know a lot will disagree with me,but I still think if his mind is right he is our best option for RB.
He is a good championship player,something is going wrong somewhere with him.
Statto might be right about him seeking the limelight, he needs to concentrate on his game here,he does OK for Ireland.

Sgt Fulham

Unprofessional to talk about Parker imo. If he wants an answer then go ask him. See how you can improve and work your way back on to the team. Don't sit there and sulk it out in an interview.

toshes mate

I am so very pleased there are people on this thread who 'absolutely' know Cyrus Christie so very much better than I do.  I have heard GJ and his sidekick make comments about players and staff of Fulham based on their personal anecdotal moments, and, of course, we may enjoy these tales just as we enjoy sofa chats on TV.   We are all free to believe these things or not, given that 100% of them could be untrue.  Its part of the media game to confirm your own identity addiction by loving it or hating it (i.e. the same thing really) and making that grey spot in your brain light up for a moment.

However, the people I have attended football matches with have never done this; we see footballers and often wonder why they don't play the same way each week; why they slag off their team mates in game; why they may play the fool during a game (my first memory of such being Rodney Marsh in goal when deputising for an injured Macedo against Villa pre-substitute era); and so on.  Like most human beings I know and have known we are a strange bunch  of animals which tolerates things in ourselves that we don't tolerate in others, things we admire about others but would never wish to be part of our natures, and the many other confusing things we do and say.

Christie is a professional footballer paid a lot of money, a lot more than I will ever want or receive.  I have never abused him, and, in as far as I can tell, he has never abused me.  He's got a few things wrong on the football pitch and helped to ruin a few Saturday nights but I have never held that against him personally.  He has access to the press for whatever tickles his fancy.  It's behind a paywall and that is where it is going to stay because I am not going to waste good money to read his second hand words in a so called newspaper.  Get real Cyrus - if you have something to say to all of us, make sure all of us can hear you.

FFC1987

Having spent some time in recent years going to a lot of American sports in the US, I don't think anyone can say its a generational thing within football, it's a toxic cultural thing. No idea why football brings the worst out of people. Not everyone, but a the vitriol in the stands and in social media is a smear on the great game.

As for Christie, not much of a fan of his footballing ability at EPL/top 2 championship level but I'm a big fan of the guy off the pitch. Good attitude, does lots to promote the game positively, lots of charity work and visiting the kids etc. The guys a good egg regardless of perception of him as a footballer. Wish it worked out better for him.

charlieFFC

self-fulfilling prophecy though. He plays poorly every single game and every single game will pull stunts like this - moaning on whatever forum is available to him. The sooner he leaves the better for everyone involved.

Jim©

I find the witch hunt against Christie pretty "unfulham".
There's people (on this thread too) that seemingly really want the incident with his sister to be proved untrue only for the fact that he could be proved as a liar.

His mentioning of SP in the article is wholly unprofessional though, looks like he's burning all of his bridges.

RaySmith

Football  only reflects  current social attitudes,but it  is a mass participation sport with a huge following from all sections of society, though it has long been superseded as the working-man's main source of entertainment, so i don't think you can blame the game for any abuse , etc  around it.

A South African friend of  mine said to me 'what's this with football, the racism?' then he went on to say he'd been to a non -League game, and how a black player 'was clapped by all of  sides of the ground when he went off.'
But this would be the norm  in  all teams today, I think. Every team has black players, and fans  don't discriminate against them, as they did years ago, when a minority would  chant racial even against there own players.

But the minority who do have racist views seem to use this  to abuse players from the opposition, and even their own players if they  blame them for the team not doing well, as some do in Christie's case - a sad example of how social media, with it's black and white attitudes - something is either  good or bad, no room for shades of grey, scapegoats and vilifies people for any  perceived weakness or failing.

Christie is a good player, and a sensitive, decent man, and I want to see him do well, but SP not playing him at the moment is just the one of the decisions a manager has to make.

filham

I have never barracked Christie and I will now make sure I give him a good welcome next time he plays.
However it is difficult to understand how he can be the subject of a full spread in the Times unless it is a foolish attempt to play the racist card.
It really needs to be made absolutely clear that there is not any element of racism in this matter, it is simply a Cottage weakness that crops up from time to time in that we have to have a scapegoat for our worst ills.

A few have been subjected to this treatment over the years and suffered much more than Christie, The worst case I can remember was Bill Dodgin, in the early fifties,a good centre half and son of the manager, his dad chose to play him out of position at right back where he struggled, our fans gave him hell. Dodgin soon left for Arsenal, where he did well, but later retuned to the Cottage, did a good job as centre half and then as manager.

Christie needs to take a leaf out of Dodgin's book and get his nose to the grindstone and show us all how wrong we are about him by performing well on the pitch. Believe me even our boo boys can easily be won over by two or three really good performances.

jarv

Sad commentary. Since 1960 I have never booed any Fulham player and never understood why any supporter would. I recall Steve Earle not having much fondness for supporters due to some treatment he got. Other clubs have the same problem from time to time. Les Barrett got some too, when he was a nervous, still learning teenager. I remember standing next to a guy who yelled abuse at him the whole game. Supporters frustrations with their own lives coming out.

Andy S

It must be very difficult for players who are not regulars in the team. It is no good looking to blame others though. You have to say that we have a vacancy at right back and it is about proving to the manager that you are the one. You do this in training by giving everything you have and if it doesn't work out you move on.