watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Craven Cottage

Started by Marinelloguthrie, October 24, 2019, 10:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marinelloguthrie

A question probably more for our us older supporters.

Has our ground always been so revered not just by us but by many neutral football people?

I've only noticed in recent years how others view it, maybe because our coverage has increased, maybe helped by Al Fayed sprucing it up or possibly as i have got older i myself appreciate it more...

Any thoughts?

The Rational Fan

It seems a few grounds have lost their charm with renovations, making Craven Cottage more unique

Woolly Mammoth

The ground is a throw back to the good old days. Which is enhanced by its location on the River Thames, and the iconic and unique landmark called Craven Cottage, coupled with the Johnny Haynes Stand protected by English Heritage.
Picturesque is one word to describe the location. With the supporters so close to the pitch. Not forgetting the impressive Johnny Haynes and George Cohen Statues.
Completely different from any other football ground, whereupon many of the modern stadiums replicate each other. They say it's most visiting supporters favourite away day.
The history attached to Craven Cottage is endless with so many epic memories of what took place there over many decades and generations.
I am sure others can describe it better than I can.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

You describe the Cottage's appeal very well, Woolly.

I would also add the walk the through Bishop's park, by the river, which is something i remember from first visiting the ground with my Dad, and which i still love- it's like coming home.

I also think the  area, arriving in Putney, is attractive to visiting fans, compared to other London grounds, like Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Palace, QPR, located in densely urban surroundings.

What could be nicer than a pint and bite to eat, before a slow walk by the historic Thames to see your team play.

As Woolly, says, Fulham is a throw back to the days when  most grounds had a definite character, whereas most modern grounds are identikit and impersonal, often located  miles from anywhere, and hard to get to,   in areas with few  amenities.

Mince n Tatties

Four Four Two Magazine Pull out in August asked fans of other clubs their fav ground, the Cottage was easily the most liked.
As one Man City fan said on radio "Proper bleedin Football Ground".

Dr Know

Quote from: RaySmith on October 25, 2019, 05:36:06 AM
You describe the Cottage's appeal very well, Woolly.

I would also add the walk the through Bishop's park, by the river, which is something i remember from first visiting the ground with my Dad, and which i still love- it's like coming home.

I also think the  area, arriving in Putney, is attractive to visiting fans, compared to other London grounds, like Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Palace, QPR, located in densely urban surroundings.

What could be nicer than a pint and bite to eat, before a slow walk by the historic Thames to see your team play.

As Woolly, says, Fulham is a throw back to the days when  most grounds had a definite character, whereas most modern grounds are identikit and impersonal, often located  miles from anywhere, and hard to get to,   in areas with few  amenities.

The walk , by the river , from Hammersmith Bridge to the ground is pretty good as well !

Spirit of 2000

The surrounds, the river, the park - the Cottage in the corner the Stevenage Road stand etc have always given it special charm, even "back in the day" but as other old style grounds have disappeared to be replaced by Meccano fit characterless holes in the middle of non descript industrial areas, the appeal & charm as compared to these grounds has risen more as the Cottage is now more unique than it ever was.

Peabody

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 25, 2019, 01:22:15 AM
The ground is a throw back to the good old days. Which is enhanced by its location on the River Thames, and the iconic and unique landmark called Craven Cottage, coupled with the Johnny Haynes Stand protected by English Heritage.
Picturesque is one word to describe the location. With the supporters so close to the pitch. Not forgetting the impressive Johnny Haynes and George Cohen Statues.
Completely different from any other football ground, whereupon many of the modern stadiums replicate each other. They say it's most visiting supporters favourite away day.
The history attached to Craven Cottage is endless with so many epic memories of what took place there over many decades and generations.
I am sure others can describe it better than I can.

You it right Woollie. Or should I say I conur

bog

Ferguson used to moan about the dressing rooms. Well get changed in your coach then. 

092.gif

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: bog on October 25, 2019, 09:08:35 AM
Ferguson used to moan about the dressing rooms. Well get changed in your coach then. 

092.gif

He did but he also said he loved the old fashioned nature of the ground too & enjoyed taking his sides there

Marinelloguthrie

Thank you for your answers all of which explains how blessed we are however has it always been held in such high esteem by the neutral?

Is it that with the new stadiums everywhere ours stands out even more now beause of the tradition of it?

filham

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on October 25, 2019, 10:00:09 AM
Thank you for your answers all of which explains how blessed we are however has it always been held in such high esteem by the neutral?

Is it that with the new stadiums everywhere ours stands out even more now beause of the tradition of it?
The Cottage has always been popular because of the riverside setting and the Thameside walk through Bishops Park but in recent times as other older stadium have gone the Cottage has retained an atmosphere of the older times.

What is forgotten is that at one time Fulham , along with Lincoln I think, had the reputation of one of the best football playing surfaces in the country, our pitch was usually a sight to behold. However with modern grass technology all grounds now seem to have good pitches and the matter is taken for granted.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Marinelloguthrie on October 25, 2019, 10:00:09 AM

The  Cottage has always been special and held in affection generally by neutrals, but it's even more prevalent now with the advent of soulless new stadia in the middle of nowhere.

Twig

Others on here have described the appeal of Craven Cottage exceptionally well. I would only add that as the evenings draw in earlier and I walk down the Thames from Hammersmith with the floodlights glowing ahead of me, it really is an emotional sight.

That said we do need further improvements to our lovely old ground. Obviously the new Riverside Terrace will provide some 21st century facilities but the F & B access in the JH stand needs improving, the loos at the Hammy end, the tannoy system, internet reliability.....There is plenty of work to be done.

Milo

Real ale served in all bars like Shrewsbury

bog

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on October 25, 2019, 09:57:16 AM
Quote from: bog on October 25, 2019, 09:08:35 AM

092.gif

He did but he also said he loved the old fashioned nature of the ground too & enjoyed taking his sides there

I didn't know that. So have been shut up somewhat!

092.gif

jarv

CC is a truly special place. Like no other.