more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Drivers.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, October 10, 2019, 08:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbo

Quote from: jarv on October 11, 2019, 12:35:11 PM
Absolutely agree with everyone on this. It is as bad here in Massachusetts. A friend of mine refers to the rush hour drivers as the office park crazies. Add the school runs starting about 2pm. I have my own business, working from home. When I need to meet a business associate I always make it either side of lunch time. The roads are packed. Doesn't anyone go to work any more?

A discussion on the radio a few years ago, one chap said "when you drive across town, look at the faces of the other drivers, everyone is angry, due to traffic and stressful living today" Nobody lets you in to join the flow any more.

When I come home every year (to watch Fulham) I love it. I never have to drive, the joy of bus, train, walk . I might actually return to Scotland one day to live. Speaking of Scotland, no comments please after last night.
im driving down into Massachusetts on 95/93 Sunday morning jarv , glad it's 05.00 hours for my flight at 7.30back home.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Baszab

Most aggressive and worst drivers (on an averaging statistical sample basis) are
AUDIs

Cambridge Pete

Unfortunately it's the world we live in. The roads are far busier, manners are a thing of the past and the majority of people seem to feel that it is their right to push in front. OK I'm a grumpy old man but I used to really enjoy driving, now not so much. Thirty years ago when I moved to Cambridgeshire it was "sedate" now driving from Burwell to Newmarket reminds me of Putney in the 70's during rush hour. Oh well such is life.

Jamie88

Quote from: Baszab on October 11, 2019, 02:03:41 PM
Most aggressive and worst drivers (on an averaging statistical sample basis) are
AUDIs

It's a close call for me between them and BMW drivers. And for some reason if it is a white Audi/BMW you can double their score on the dickhead-ometer!

f321ffc

Drivers / motorists I can tolerate (probably got used to them in the over 50 years I've  been driving) what really boils my pi$$ is aggressive cyclists they seem To think they own the road and that the rules of the road don't apply to them.
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on October 11, 2019, 02:21:32 PM
Unfortunately it's the world we live in. The roads are far busier, manners are a thing of the past and the majority of people seem to feel that it is their right to push in front. OK I'm a grumpy old man but I used to really enjoy driving, now not so much. Thirty years ago when I moved to Cambridgeshire it was "sedate" now driving from Burwell to Newmarket reminds me of Putney in the 70's during rush hour. Oh well such is life.

The railway bridge between Burwell and Exning is scary,you dont know what's coming up from the other side.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a fantastic driver. But some people are a danger.

I was on the A3 about a year ago, doing 50 - which is the limit - and as it is covered in cameras, I couldn't risk a ticket. Yes I was in the fast lane, but it was about 1230-1 am so no one around. In my mirror comes this Vauxhall Astra doing 100 at least, right up my 'arris, flashing his lights for me to move out the way. So I purposely didn't. This kids, his face still wet from his mothers milk, undertook me, leant out of his window and gave me a sign that looked like he was milking a cow. And I mean he literally leant out of his window. I laughed to myself and then pulled into the left lane just to annoy him.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

RaySmith

As a cyclist I was just reading about something called by the police  'punishment braking'.

A  female cyclist, who'd been part of a medal winning, mixed sex, time trial team in the World championships in Harrogate , the  other week - I took part in the 100k Sportive -   out training last week, told of how a  motorist , angry at being held up, passed her with inches  to spare, then suddenly braked i front of her at speed on a steep descent, and she  came off at over 35k, broke her collarbone and was hospitalised. She could easily have been killed. The driver sped off.

People  think cyclists have no right on the road, but I well remember a time and place - south-east London,  late 50's . early 60's, when there were far  more cyclists on the road than cars. In fact, so few people had cars that we could play football across the street  with little interruption.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Trust me, I live in sussex and the cyclist "own the road". At least in their world they do. I wouldn't go out of my way to cause them to crash tho, just overtake them and get my car to pump out loads of diesel junk.

Stevieboy

What's the difference between Red and Green.....?
Nothing if your a 'kin cyclist !!  064.gif 064.gif

west kowloon white

Audis and cyclists + 2Menace on Sussex roads and SW6.

cookieg

The standard of driving instructors these days is terrible too. The amount of times a learner driver pulls out of a side road in front of cars is unbelievable. Also overtaking parked cars and crossing the white lines into the path of on coming traffic. What on earth are they being taught as to how to drive. When I was learning if there was a car within 200 yards and I moved I'd get a bollocking. I know not all instructors are bad but where I live the standard is shocking.

I'm a private hire driver and I drive for Uber, I hate driving in London as it is too stressful as there are so many idiots on the roads.

ALG01

Quote from: west kowloon white on October 11, 2019, 04:13:12 PM
Audis and cyclists + 2Menace on Sussex roads and SW6.

and BMWs
and
new range/land rovers very shinny and big and never seen a bumpy road...there is an epedemic of new ones with 5th rate drivers.

RaySmith

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 11, 2019, 04:02:06 PM
Trust me, I live in sussex and the cyclist "own the road". At least in their world they do. I wouldn't go out of my way to cause them to crash tho, just overtake them and get my car to pump out loads of diesel junk.

The intolerance towards cyclists, when, as I said cycles have been around on our roads - as form of transport and leisure  pursuit, far longer than cars,  these days say a lot about our  current  society.

But, of course, cyclists  don't 'own' around the road, and I don't believe any cyclist actually said that, but have equal rights on the road with other road users,as enshrined in the Highway Code.
A minority of cyclists may break the lights - though  i don't see how  many cyclists  would survive long doing this, but motorists    regularly break the speed limit, and use phones while driving, and get away with it., as well as poisoning the environment, as said.

Most cyclists are drivers too, but this intolerance, even hatred towards  folk just peacefully going about  lawful business, is totally irrational, and scary, and says a lot about contemporary Britain,- other  countries, manage  to have  cars and cyclists co-existing  perfectly happily, and helping create a sustainable transport system, which is now seen as  essential to prevent complete gridlock  in our cities, and counter pollution.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

The thing about cyclist is their entitlement. They believe they're king of the roads. Yes, some people dont look out for pedal or motor bikes. And they need to because too many accidents happen with people not seeing bikes in general. But when cyclist endanger themselves, and thereby other road users by jumping lights, flying through pedestrian crossing etc etc etc, and then blame everyone else but themselves, you can understand why they're disliked.

And dont even get me started on the brompton lot.....

f321ffc

The cyclist who made the news a few weeks ago after not stopping at the lights and nearly hitting a pedestrian then turned round and went after and nutted the pedestrian was he ever caught?
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

bobbo

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 11, 2019, 03:26:53 PM
I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a fantastic driver. But some people are a danger.

I was on the A3 about a year ago, doing 50 - which is the limit - and as it is covered in cameras, I couldn't risk a ticket. Yes I was in the fast lane, but it was about 1230-1 am so no one around. In my mirror comes this Vauxhall Astra doing 100 at least, right up my 'arris, flashing his lights for me to move out the way. So I purposely didn't. This kids, his face still wet from his mothers milk, undertook me, leant out of his window and gave me a sign that looked like he was milking a cow. And I mean he literally leant out of his window. I laughed to myself and then pulled into the left lane just to annoy him.
i really like that one.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

RaySmith

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 11, 2019, 05:49:09 PM
The thing about cyclist is their entitlement. They believe they're king of the roads. Yes, some people dont look out for pedal or motor bikes. And they need to because too many accidents happen with people not seeing bikes in general. But when cyclist endanger themselves, and thereby other road users by jumping lights, flying through pedestrian crossing etc etc etc, and then blame everyone else but themselves, you can understand why they're disliked..

You can't possibly compare  the numbers  of people injured or killed by  bikes to those  caused by cars, as well as the noise and damgage to the environment.

It's car drivers who have a sense of entitlement, and think they own the roads, that's where all the problems stem from.
As I said bikes have actually been around a lot longer than cars, but car drivers think no-one  else has a right to use the roads.
avid
Avid hatred against cyclists is whipped up by the media, and certain  columnists out to make fast buck, and who are  car drivers themselves.
EG any accident involving a cyclist makes headlines, but  daily accidents involving car drivers to other road uses and each other would fill several pages of the daily paper if reported.

The  hatred of cyclists is just totally irrational, and seems to say so much about this country, when other countries  manage perfectly well to have cars and bikes cohabiting    without any problem and  build facilities catering for all road users, because they know it's necessary to keep cities   from seizing up, and to help combat the environmental damage that threatens our  very existence.

People love their cars, and most cyclists also own cars, and  have a blind spot about them - cars can do no wrong, they think. I've even known environmental  protesters who own cars, and drive  to the anti-airport demo, not realising their hypocrisy.

I don't own a car, and never have, it wasn't the thing to learn to drive when i was young, but I accept the car,  but I  can tell you  that most  of those  people who don't own  cars,  have many reasons for  hating them and their arrogant , entitled owners, who think they own the roads and that everyone else should get out of their way,

That's what it all comes down  to - I've got a  car, and you should get out of my way, and  thinking you have as much right to be on the road as me means you are 'entitled and arrogant'.

It basically comes down to  car drivers  hating  cyclists , because they  are on 'our' roads.

Today in this country, there is no empathy - you are either in our  gang, or  you're not, and if you're not, then we  hate and fear you, and want you abolished.

A lot different from the England i grew up in, which my parents fought for in the War, and when there were actually, more cyclists on the road than cars!

ALG01

Quote from: RaySmith on October 11, 2019, 07:12:19 PM
Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 11, 2019, 05:49:09 PM
The thing about cyclist is their entitlement. They believe they're king of the roads. Yes, some people dont look out for pedal or motor bikes. And they need to because too many accidents happen with people not seeing bikes in general. But when cyclist endanger themselves, and thereby other road users by jumping lights, flying through pedestrian crossing etc etc etc, and then blame everyone else but themselves, you can understand why they're disliked..

You can't possibly compare  the numbers  of people injured or killed by  bikes to those  caused by cars, as well as the noise and damgage to the environment.

It's car drivers who have a sense of entitlement, and think they own the roads, that's where all the problems stem from.
As I said bikes have actually been around a lot longer than cars, but car drivers think no-one  else has a right to use the roads.
avid
Avid hatred against cyclists is whipped up by the media, and certain  columnists out to make fast buck, and who are  car drivers themselves.
EG any accident involving a cyclist makes headlines, but  daily accidents involving car drivers to other road uses and each other would fill several pages of the daily paper if reported.

The  hatred of cyclists is just totally irrational, and seems to say so much about this country, when other countries  manage perfectly well to have cars and bikes cohabiting    without any problem and  build facilities catering for all road users, because they know it's necessary to keep cities   from seizing up, and to help combat the environmental damage that threatens our  very existence.

People love their cars, and most cyclists also own cars, and  have a blind spot about them - cars can do no wrong, they think. I've even known environmental  protesters who own cars, and drive  to the anti-airport demo, not realising their hypocrisy.

I don't own a car, and never have, it wasn't the thing to learn to drive when i was young, but I accept the car,  but I  can tell you  that most  of those  people who don't own  cars,  have many reasons for  hating them and their arrogant , entitled owners, who think they own the roads and that everyone else should get out of their way,

That's what it all comes down  to - I've got a  car, and you should get out of my way, and  thinking you have as much right to be on the road as me means you are 'entitled and arrogant'.

It basically comes down to  car drivers  hating  cyclists , because they  are on 'our' roads.

Today in this country, there is no empathy - you are either in our  gang, or  you're not, and if you're not, then we  hate and fear you, and want you abolished.

A lot different from the England i grew up in, which my parents fought for in the War, and when there were actually, more cyclists on the road than cars!

No disrespect but i drive a car and ride a bike and recignise many car drivers are a menace when you are a cyclist BUT cyclists imo are way worse and create far more dangerous situations for themseves and teir felow road users. Weaving in and out, swarming at traffic lights, ignoring traffic lights.., i was nearly knocked down by a cyclist recently when i was at a pedestrian crossing near the tesco on the fulham palace road, the fulham palace road. And when i called him i just got two fingersm that is typical. Drivers are dreadful, cyclists are way worse.