watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Drivers.

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, October 10, 2019, 08:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Is it just me, or does the general standard of drivers on the road seem to have dropped.
So many unbelievable morons around now, cutting you up and then saying thanks....like I had a choice when you almost took off my front bumper.

They all seem to be Uber drivers too. Weird.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

SP

I dread driving anywhere these days & try to avoid it if possible.  I recently watched a lady with a baby on board sticker drive on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner, it was terrifying.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 10, 2019, 08:04:21 PM
Is it just me, or does the general standard of drivers on the road seem to have dropped.
So many unbelievable morons around now, cutting you up and then saying thanks....like I had a choice when you almost took off my front bumper.

They all seem to be Uber drivers too. Weird.

I was doing a tree survey/risk assessment on a number of trees on a large city centre roundabout recently. There was some remarkable stuff going on but in a way the collective stupidity seemed to balance things out. I would say thank goodness for the buses who were inadvertently slowing things down. My personal driving angst is towards those who continue to bomb down a lane clearly signed as merging and then expect everybody who has merged to let them in. A Phil Cool sketch from years and years ago always kicks off in my head and I have to obey it.

bog

When I passed my test in 1964 aged 19 I dreaded the day I might have to stop driving, now when I see the amount of traffic on the roads, esp the motorways, I don't think I will be worried when the time comes to hang up my licence.

092.gif   

ALG01

Much worse and more dangerous.
The section from j19 to the m40 on the m25 is the worst of all!

Apart from that i have been shuted at twice in the last few weeks for stopping at a red light in traffic... once by a woman with young kids in the back. I was keeping up, but the light went red before i crossed the line, it means stop. She then chased me down a narrow road and undertook me on a roundabout nearly forcing me into an oncoming vehicle... i was shaking when i got home.

Today both ways to work and home white vans within 10feetof me on country roads,  doing 50... and that was over the speed limit.... it is worse.

filham

Does anyone else observe the old rule about not overtaking on roundabouts, not may about who do these days.

cottage expat

Sadly, it reflects a widespread loss of civility and sense of self entitlement.

HV71

Today both ways to work and home white vans within 10feetof me on country roads,  doing 50... and that was over the speed limit.... it is worse.

This drives me mad - sometimes I am so fed up with it that I switch on ( briefly) my rear fog lamps - it normally has the desired effect

SuffolkWhite

I think it is worse, and the road rage is constant. Forget the highway code no one reads it.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

ALG01

Quote from: HV71 on October 10, 2019, 10:10:06 PM

This drives me mad - sometimes I am so fed up with it that I switch on ( briefly) my rear fog lamps - it normally has the desired effect

i did everything... i slowed down, o speeded up, i put on hazard lights... the gap remained resolutely way to close. the white vanners think they can intimdate, but they cannot do that to me BUT I am nervous that if I brake suddenly they will come through the back of me and I will have them in my passenger seat next to me!

bobbo

Bog I'm same age as you took my test 1964 also and I'm looking forward to packing up . It's hell on the roads now and for an oldy like me quite intimidating. I'm currently on my yearly pilgrimage to Maine New England and driving also, but they are so polite here.back next week and driving to stoke, let's hope I make it.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Mince n Tatties

Bring  back Horses n Carriages and Ponies and Traps,and do away with motor vehicles, nice pace of life and everyone will get along.🐴

toshes mate

Quote from: cottage expat on October 10, 2019, 10:03:23 PM
Sadly, it reflects a widespread loss of civility and sense of self entitlement.
+infinity

Spirit of 2000

Agree with much of the above. People sitting in outside lane doing well under the speed limit and over-taking nobody is as common as some t*sser speeding up behind you doing 100mph when you are legitimately over-taking people and driving 2 foot from your bumper in an attempt to bully you to pull over (and if this fails switching two lanes before undertaking everyone at high speed). Problem is generally if you drive as per the highway code you'll get nowhere as nobody else observes it so a degree of aggression in driving is necessary for mere survival - and I'm 51 and remember 33 years ago when I passed my test and how different it all was.

Mince n Tatties

Roads weren't meant or built for the volume of traffic nowadays.
Families like one lot down the road from us,Him Her and the 2 kids all got a car,parked up on pavement so you have to walk on street,someone in a  invalid buggy can't get by.
Lazy father drives his everyday the length of Bishops Park to go get his papers...Idiots

bobbo

1975 just leaving home full of hope

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bobbo on October 11, 2019, 11:59:43 AM
What worse than London?

Think every town n city the same now.
4 cars in a family.... Nuts.

jarv

Absolutely agree with everyone on this. It is as bad here in Massachusetts. A friend of mine refers to the rush hour drivers as the office park crazies. Add the school runs starting about 2pm. I have my own business, working from home. When I need to meet a business associate I always make it either side of lunch time. The roads are packed. Doesn't anyone go to work any more?

A discussion on the radio a few years ago, one chap said "when you drive across town, look at the faces of the other drivers, everyone is angry, due to traffic and stressful living today" Nobody lets you in to join the flow any more.

When I come home every year (to watch Fulham) I love it. I never have to drive, the joy of bus, train, walk . I might actually return to Scotland one day to live. Speaking of Scotland, no comments please after last night.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: jarv on October 11, 2019, 12:35:11 PM
Absolutely agree with everyone on this. It is as bad here in Massachusetts. A friend of mine refers to the rush hour drivers as the office park crazies. Add the school runs starting about 2pm. I have my own business, working from home. When I need to meet a business associate I always make it either side of lunch time. The roads are packed. Doesn't anyone go to work any more?

A discussion on the radio a few years ago, one chap said "when you drive across town, look at the faces of the other drivers, everyone is angry, due to traffic and stressful living today" Nobody lets you in to join the flow any more.

When I come home every year (to watch Fulham) I love it. I never have to drive, the joy of bus, train, walk . I might actually return to Scotland one day to live. Speaking of Scotland, no comments please after last night.

Give me driving in the highlands of Scotland, country roads of mid Wales or Cornwall anytime over the mental big cities & their suburbs. Actually give me living in those places as well - when I was young I used to be adverse to anywhere I didn't consider to be a busy city or town however as the years go by that's changed massively. When I once preferred the bright lights, busy pubs, clubs etc - well now give me a nice old style place in the middle of nowhere with hardly a soul around ... bliss!! Maybe it's getting old, maybe it's how society is these days ... more likely it's a mix of the two!!

Southdowns White

I think people are oblivious to their own bad driving these days, they are so self contained in their own little world.  All the crashes I've seen through my rear view mirror over the years, it makes you think doesn't it!