more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 14/10/19...

Started by WhiteJC, October 14, 2019, 07:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Store Signing Session

Join us at the Stadium Store on Monday 21st October for the chance to meet four Fulham First Team players!

Fans will have an opportunity to meet the players in attendance, get autographs and photos this October half-term, who will be around from 2pm for approximately 90 minutes.

Names of those in attendance will be announced next week, however, as always, those who are confirmed remain subject to change.

Be sure to look out for more information on fulhamfc.com - including some exclusive retail offers which will be available in store during the half-term break.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/12/store-signing-session

WhiteJC

Former Bristol City defender Joe Bryan opens up on personal problems following Fulham transfer

Full-back sought counselling after switch to West London

Fulham full-back Joe Bryan

Former Bristol City left-back Joe Bryan has discussed his off-pitch life at Fulham as part of his club's bid to raise awareness of mental health issues.

Bryan joined other Cottagers players in explaining that the Championship side are, "proud to be working with Mind and the EFL on the 'Goals Worth Talking About' campaign".

And in doing so the Bristolian opened up on some troubles of his own as he encouraged others to talk about their well-being.

"There's a lot of people out there who are suffering and the more we come out and speak about it the less alone they'll feel, and from personal experience it helps," said Bryan, who made 230 appearances for the Robins after making his debut in 2012.

Bryan left his hometown club in the summer of 2018, where he had been since he was a schoolboy, to move to west London and try his luck in the Premier League with Fulham.

The 26-year-old admits that being away from the familiarity of Bristol and his close-knit unit of family and friends left him feeling isolated, affecting his overall health and performances on the field.

"I just felt alone. I'd moved away from my family and my partner at the time," said Bryan in a Fulham promotional video.

"It was a massive change in my personal life and everything went downhill and I got injured. I wasn't playing very well and we were bottom of the league.

"I then split up with my now ex-girlfriend and I just felt alone and didn't really know what to do."

That was then his new club got involved and helped encourage him to talk about his problems.

"Luckily one of the physios pulled me and said 'you're not the same. We feel that there's something wrong in your life. Do you want to talk to the doctor?', he added.

"They put me in touch with the counsellor. I saw him a few times and that sorted me out."

"I then split up with my now ex-girlfriend and I just felt alone and didn't really know what to do."

That was then his new club got involved and helped encourage him to talk about his problems.

"Luckily one of the physios pulled me and said 'you're not the same. We feel that there's something wrong in your life. Do you want to talk to the doctor?', he added.

"They put me in touch with the counsellor. I saw him a few times and that sorted me out."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/former-bristol-city-defender-joe-3421748

WhiteJC

Former Fulham manager reveals confidence in Scott Parker

Former Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic has revealed that he believed he knew Scott Parker would become the manager after him.

Parker is the current boss at Craven Cottage after taking over the reins from Jokanovic on an initial caretake basis towards the back end of last season.

But Jokanovic has revealed to the Sun that he always knew Parker would be the one to replace, admitting he was the one who made the call to bring Parker in as coach initially, with the long-term view for Parker firmly in his mind.

He said: "Scott was my choice to come in as a coach. I had a conversation with him and said, 'Come with me and you will be the manager after me".

"He is at the beginning of his coaching career but he is a very good coach and a very good lad. I believe he is following some of the work we did and I expect him to be successful".

Jokanovic led the Cottagers to promotion during the 2017/18 season, when his team saw off Aston Villa in the play-off final at Wembley to secure their place back in the Premier League.

However, following a summer of heavy spending which saw many of the squad from that promotion-winning team cast to one side, Fulham struggled to put the results together in the top-flight, ultimately, costing Jokanovic his job and the club their place in the Premier League.

The Serbian has backed Parker to get the club back up though, adding:

"He has enough quality to bring Fulham back to the Premier League. They have brought in some interesting players and they will be one of the favourites to come back up. I hope they will be successful this season and they go back to the Premier League. I wish them all the best."

The Verdict

Nice touch from Jokanovic this and nice to see he gave Parker his backing and blessing.

Parker should go on to do well for Fulham and with the squad he has, he should be getting them at least in the top six this year.

It's a long season, however, where anything can happen.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/former-fulham-manager-reveals-confidence-in-scott-parker/

WhiteJC

'I don't have any regrets': Footballer Ben Davis has no plans to return to Singapore

Ben Davis hopes to represent Thailand in the upcoming SEA Games. (Photo: Jack Board)

BANGKOK: Footballer Ben Davis says he has no plans to return to Singapore or fulfil his National Service (NS) duties in the future, as he puts all his focus on the pursuit of his professional career in England and representing Thailand on the international stage.

Davis, 18, exclusively told CNA that he has no regrets over the decision to default on the mandatory two-year NS duties, an offence that could see him heavily fined or imprisoned should he re-enter the country.

"It is the right decision," he said, while in Bangkok for a training camp with the Thai national U23s squad ahead of the Southeast Asia (SEA) Games in November.

"I don't think I'm going to go back. I'm cool with that," he said. "For me it's all about succeeding in football. I don't really look back."

Davis said that while he was initially "unhappy" about not being able to return to Singapore to see his family and friends, he is now wholly committed to representing the country of his birth. He had previously been called up to Singapore's national side in 2018, before he signed a professional contract with Fulham, at the time competing in the English Premier League.

"I feel like I'm from Thailand and England. I feel like those are my home countries. And my mum really wants me to play for Thailand so I want to make her proud. That's my main reason," he said.

"I've always wanted to play for Thailand or England because I knew the standard was better and in my blood, I knew I was from there. When I was living in Singapore it was difficult because I came through the system and I grew up there a bit and grew up playing football there so that's the only thing I knew," he said.

When asked about how his former team mates in Singapore have reacted to his move away from the country, Davis said the response has been positive.

"They're actually happy for me. They support me. They're not mad or anything but when we play against each other we'll see what happens," he said with a smile.

"I'D JUST BE SORRY THAT I HURT YOUR FEELINGS"

Davis' application to defer his NS enlistment last year in order to take up the contract with Fulham was rejected by Singapore's Ministry of Defence (MINDEF), who said he did not "meet the criteria for long-term deferment from full-time NS".

The ministry added that Davis' actions are "meant to further his own professional career, not national interest".

His father Harvey Davis had lobbied for a special exemption for his son, arguing that his success in Europe would be an inspiration for Singapore.

"As the father of Ben, I really hope that common sense can prevail so that Ben can be given the opportunity to not just pursue his dream of playing in the EPL, but also the dream of every young Singaporean footballer and to make Singapore proud by being the first Singaporean to play in the EPL," Harvey Davis said at the time.

Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen explained the Government's reasoning in Parliament last August, saying there was "no commitment to serve Singapore or our national interests".

Dr Ng gave three reasons why Davis' application was rejected.

The first is that Davis is playing for Fulham as an English national, not a Singapore citizen, Dr Ng said, referring to information published on the club's website.

Second, Dr Ng said Davis' father has "consistently refused" to indicate when his son would return to serve NS, pointing to a reply he gave authorities stating that he was "unable to commit to a date" due to the possibility that his son would be offered a new contract or sent out on loan.

Third, Dr Ng said Mr Davis has indicated that his son would still proceed to sign the contract if not granted deferment, something which he had already done.

Davis' subsequent decision to depart Singapore for England was a divisive one, but he said he hopes there is no lasting animosity about the choices he and his family have made.

"I'd just be sorry that I hurt your feelings. I didn't mean to. It is what it is. There's always going to be one side and another side. It's life," he said, referring to those critical of him.

"A lot of people thought I was (frustrated). I wasn't really that bothered by it. I was just focused on my journey and succeeding. That's what I wanted to do."

He contends that his career prospects could have been irreparably damaged by taking two years out of the sport. "If I hadn't taken the contract I wouldn't be where I am. I wouldn't have made my debut or anything. It was a big decision," he said.

"It's tough you know. Because I've done a lot in two years. I don't think I would have made it this far if I was to take those two years off. I probably would still make it but not at as high a level as this.

"You have to have tunnel vision, you have to be selfish, you have to be confident in everything, especially to succeed in Europe."

He made his first-team debut for Fulham on Aug 27, coming on as a substitute in the 89th minute in the Cottagers' 1-0 loss to Southampton in the Carabao Cup. It was a nervous moment for him, he admits, but one that consolidated his belief in his footballing journey.

He has eyes on more playing minutes for the senior side this season in the Championship proper and hopes to have his playing contract extended mid-next year. He confirmed that he is registered as a local player with the English Football Association.

"I think I can make it to the top. You have to have that mindset. Even if you're someone who can't, you still have to have that mindset to reach the top. So I think I will be able to make the Premier League," he said.

He also wants to be playing consistently for Thailand's senior national side, as early as November when the team continues its World Cup qualifying campaign. While his Thai is rusty, he says he has felt welcomed by the team's players, management and fans.

"I'm grateful to them to support me and I want to make them proud. I like the standard. It's decent and I feel we can win some competitions."

Life in London is also becoming more settled for the teenager, who is relishing having his own car and freedom, he said. He is living with a local family now but plans to move out on his own next year.

"Sometimes it can be lonely, especially for a footballer. It's important to do things outside football as well. You have to have friends. My grandmother lives near Watford so I always go back there."

Davis will return to his Fulham duties in the coming days.
Source: CNA/jb(mn)

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/footballer-ben-davis-no-plans-return-singapore-thailand-fulham-11995954

WhiteJC

Scott Parker Is Responsible For One Of The Greatest Tackles In Premier League History

To celebrate the 39th birthday of former England international Scott Parker, let's go back and remember one of the best tackles you'll see this century.

The former Charlton, Norwich, Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham, Spurs and Fulham midfielder played his final professional game against Sheffield Wednesday in May 2016 after making 31 appearances for The Cottagers throughout the 15/16 season.

Before that, Parker, who was voted Player of the Year for 2011 by the Football Writers' Association, made 18 appearances for his country, making his international debut in November 2003.

He came on in the 66th minute as a substitute replacing Wayne Rooney and his career really kicked on from there.

All of the above are certainly impressive achievements but for many, Parker's most memorable moment came during Newcastle's trip to Stamford Bridge in 2005.

Parker was playing in the centre of Newcastle's midfield at the time when he ploughed into Chelsea winger Joe Cole with a hard, but fair challenge.

In another career highlight, Parker was also part of the England squad that beat a Spain back in 2011.

From Xavi and Iniesta to Sergio Ramos and Gerard Pique, this incredibly talented group achieved it all - except a predictably routine win over a distinctly average England side at Wembley back in 2011.

Vicente del Bosque's Spain struggled to deal with the likes of Darren Bent and Scott Parker, as a typical Frank Lampard finish in the 49th minute sealed a shock victory over the-then World and European champions.

Phil Jones may have anchored the midfield before Jack Rodwell replaced him after 54 minutes.

But England managed to hold on and record a 'memorable' 1-0 win against the European and World champions. What a time to be alive.

Thank you for the memories, Scott Parker.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-funny-scott-parker-is-responsible-for-one-of-greatest-tackles-in-pl-history-20191013

WhiteJC

'Without a doubt' - The Ivan Cavaleiro update that will interest Wolves fans

Wolves loan watch | After joining the Cottagers on a season long loan deal, Cavaleiro has enjoyed a positive start to life with the West Londoners

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 21: Ivan Cavaleiro of Fulham looks on during the Sky Bet Championship match between Fulham and Leeds United at Craven Cottage on August 21, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

When Helder Costa was shipped off to Leeds United on a loan deal that will become permanent next summer, there were few debates raised.

But when his compatriot, Ivan Cavaleiro, followed him to the Championship, it was a move that many Wolverhampton Wanderers fans questioned.

When Nuno Espirito Santo changed the shape of his Wolves team at the back end of 2018, it spelled the end of Cavaleiro's stay within the starting line-up.

He joined Fulham on a season-long loan deal, with the West Londoners having an option to make that permanent next summer.

We caught up with Fulham reporter John Mastrini, who covers the Cottagers for WestLondonSport.com to get an update on how the popular winger is faring back in the second tier.

How has Ivan Cavaleiro settled in? First impressions?

With Ryan Sessegnon destined to leave Craven Cottage in the summer, replacing him with the proven Championship firepower that Cavaleiro offers was something of a coup that director of football Tony Khan pulled off. Having countryman Rui Fonte in the camp - albeit only for a few pre-season weeks - seemed to help him blend into the squad quickly, with four goals and three assists in his first 10 games proving fruitful already.

(Image: Getty Images)

All four of those finishes have been of the highest quality, too, including a crucial late winner at Huddersfield. His ability to run in behind or cut inside from either flank and find the top corner means that he provides a slightly different, more direct threat than Sessegnon has in previous seasons.

Better or worse than expected?

Inevitably, there are high expectations when you convince a player of Premier League quality to drop down a league for a loan season. It seems an added bonus to have someone not named Aleksandar Mitrović or Tom Cairney also contributing to Fulham's offensive output early on, given their proclivity for a sluggish start in recent seasons.

How is Parker using him?

He has started every league game bar one, when he was rested in midweek for Bobby Decordova-Reid, operating mainly on the left side of Fulham's attacking triumvirate featuring Mitrović and Anthony Knockaert. The versatility of both Cavaleiro and Knockaert also means that Parker has the luxury of switching their flanks often mid-game, which has unsettled many an opposition full-back. Cavaleiro is also beginning to link up well with Joe Bryan and create space for each other down the left wing to supply Mitrović with crosses and through-balls.

How have the fans taken to him? Any chants yet?

Not to my knowledge, no! I may have heard a few along the lines of Pilot's 'Magic', which was reserved for Luciano Vietto last season, although perhaps Earth, Wind & Fire 'September' rendition that Wolves had will make its way into the Hammersmith End sooner rather than later.

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 05: Ivan Cavaleiro of Fulham celebrates scoring his sides first goal during the Sky Bet Championship match between Fulham and Charlton Athletic at Craven Cottage on October 05, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

If he continues his current form, I have no doubt that it will - the fans know what a talent they have on their hands.

Is he the type of player you could see playing for you in the Premier League?

Without a doubt. Not only is he versatile and capable of performing at that level in the right system, but Fulham should also be wise enough not to repeat the mistakes of their previous promotion by dismantling the team that got them into the Premier League in the first place.

LONDON, ENGLAND - OCTOBER 05: Ivan Cavaleiro of Fulham scores his sides first goal during the Sky Bet Championship match between Fulham and Charlton Athletic at Craven Cottage on October 05, 2019 in London, England. (Photo by Jordan Mansfield/Getty Images)

Should the current regular XI keep outplaying and outscoring their Championship opponents consistently throughout the season, I see no reason for Fulham to ditch a winning formula with those ingredients this time around. I would certainly expect to see Cavaleiro's deal be made permanent in the summer, which is (impressively) an option for the club.

Based on the early weeks what would be a fair fee for him, in your opinion?

It is difficult to say without knowing the specifics of the agreement that is in place with Wolves already. In the current market, given his prime age and his Premier League experience, I would not be surprised to see his fee rise over the £10m mark - particularly if he goes from strength to strength this season and piques the interest of other suitors. But if Fulham do go up and Khan can work his own negotiating magic once more to sign the Portuguese permanently, Cavaleiro would certainly be worth stumping up for.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/without-doubt-ivan-cavaleiro-update-17078996

WhiteJC

Crossed Hammers & Three Lions: Scott Parker

Welcome to the latest in a series of articles designed for international matches – a look back at former Hammers players who wore the Three Lions of England.

Today, with England facing Bulgaria in Euro 2020 qualifying in Sofia this evening, we look back at a former Hammers and England midfielder. Scott Parker was born in Lambeth on 13th October 1980; a Lilleshall graduate, Parker was the 13-year-old keepie-uppie star of a McDonalds advert during the 1994 World Cup. He began his professional career at Charlton, making his debut in 1997; he also had a brief loan spell with Norwich in 2000. Parker made his full England debut under Sven-Goran Eriksson in a 3-2 defeat to Denmark in a friendly at Old Trafford on 16th November 2003.

Parker, who had been consistently linked with moves away from Charlton for several years, finally left the Valley just before the January transfer deadline in 2004 to join Chelsea on a four-and-a-half-year contract for a fee of £10m after a protracted and acrimonious transfer saga. Parker was initially signed to compete with Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard but did not get too many opportunities to play in his preferred position. He scored his only goal for Chelsea in a 2-0 win against Portsmouth at Fratton Park on 11th February 2004. Parker won his second England cap in a 1-0 friendly defeat to Sweden on 31st March 2004 and was named as the PFA Young Player of the Year at the end of the 2003/04 season.

Following the summer signings of Arjen Robben and Tiago Mendes, Parker's first team opportunities were extremely limited during the 2004/05 season, although he was a regular starter in Chelsea's League Cup matches, a competition where he played in three consecutive victories against West Ham, Newcastle and Fulham. His difficulties were compounded when he broke a metatarsal in a game against Norwich. Parker consequently missed both legs of the League Cup semi-final against Manchester United and the final against Liverpool, although he was awarded a winner's medal during the trophy presentation. Chelsea went on to won the title for the first time in 50 years –having made only four league appearances for Chelsea during the season, he did not receive a Premier League winner's medal as he did not make the required ten appearances to be eligible, though Chelsea did have a replica medal made. After scoring one goal in 28 matches in all competitions for the Blues, but having found first team opportunities hard to come by, Parker signed for Newcastle in July 2005 for £6.5m.

Scott became a regular in the Newcastle first team and was one of the few players at the club to show any consistency during an often difficult 2005/06 season in which the Magpies finished in seventh place, despite suffering a poor start under Graeme Souness. His first Newcastle goal came against his former club Charlton in a 3-1 defeat on 25th March 2006. Later that month he was diagnosed with glandular fever, putting an end to his season. The timing was especially unfortunate for Parker; he had been playing well but the illness ended any hopes he may have had of forcing his way into the England squad for the 2006 World Cup.

New manager Glenn Roeder named Parker as his captain In July 2006, succeeding the retired Alan Shearer. Despite Newcastle's poor form, his performances earned him a recall to the England squad after an absence of more than two years – Steve McClaren gave Parker his third cap in a 2-0 European Championship qualifying defeat to Croatia in Zagreb on 11th October 2006. After six goals in 73 matches for Newcastle, Parker left for West Ham United to be reunited with his former Charlton manager, Alan Curbishley, in a £7m deal in the summer of 2007.

Injury played a large part in Parker's early career in east London, with the midfielder unable to make his debut until a League Cup win over Plymouth at the Boleyn Ground in late September. Three days later Parker was injured again during a home defeat to Arsenal and ruled out for a further two months. His first goal for the club came three days before Christmas, the last-minute winner in West Ham's first ever victory at Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium.

Parker's second goal for the club was over a year later, from close range in a 2-1 defeat at Bolton in February 2009, by which time Gianfranco Zola had taken over from Curbishley. His season was ended by injury the following month but he had still done enough to win the 2008/09 Hammer of the Year prize. The Irons struggled in 2009/10 and were second bottom of the Premier League when Parker was sent off for two yellow cards in the 2-2 home draw with Arsenal in October. His first goal of that season was a stunning, dipping half-volley from distance to bring the Hammers level at the home of his old club Chelsea in March, although the match would ultimately be lost 4-1. His only other goal that season was infinitely more significant, the winner in a tense 3-2 victory over Wigan on 24th April which secured the Hammers' survival – Parker's sensational 77th-minute strike from 25 yards was followed by an emotionally-charged celebration. Two weeks later, he would become the first player to retain the Hammer of the Year trophy since Julian Dicks in 1997.

A 17th-placed finish in 2009/10 resulted in Zola being replaced by Avram Grant and the Hammers would endure a turbulent 2010/11 campaign. Parker was the bright light shining in the east end gloom as he displayed the fight, determination and character sadly lacking in many of his team-mates – he was often mistaken as the club's captain by an inattentive national media. This was epitomised by his best goalscoring season during his time with the club, Parker opening with three goals in his first six games (the injury-time winner against Oxford in the League Cup, a wonderfully-lofted volley in a 3-1 defeat to Chelsea and a scrambled effort in a 1-1 draw at Stoke). Another three-goals-in-six-games spell followed in October/November as he scored a late headed equaliser in a 3-1 extra-time win over the Potters in the League Cup, struck a thunderbolt in a 2-2 draw with West Brom and grabbed the clincher in a 3-1 win over Wigan.

On 9th February 2011, he became the first England player to receive his first four full caps whilst playing for four different teams, coming on as a second-half substitute for Frank Lampard in a 2-1 friendly win for Fabio Capello's England against Denmark in Copenhagen. Parker was to score once more for the Hammers that season, a beautifully-executed effort with the outside of his right foot from the edge of the area in a 3-1 home victory over Liverpool in late February. The following month, he played in a 0-0 draw at Tottenham hours after the death of his father. He also started in England's 2-0 European Championship qualification victory over Wales at the Millennium Stadium on 26th March 2011. Parker would again be crowned Hammer of the Year, the only player other than Sir Trevor Brooking to claim the award three seasons in a row. He was also named as the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year, an incredible feat considering his club were relegated in bottom place. In doing so, he became the second Hammer to win the award, following in the footsteps of the great Bobby Moore.

Parker won his sixth England cap, and his third whilst a Hammer, in a 2-2 Wembley draw with Switzerland in Euro 2012 qualification on 4th June 2011. He started West Ham's 2011/12 Championship campaign, notching one goal in four league appearances, this coming in a 4-0 win at Watford. His final appearance in claret and blue came in a 2-2 draw with Leeds at Upton Park on 21st August 2011. At the age of 30, Parker knew he may only have one opportunity left to play in an international tournament and, with Euro 2012 on the horizon, was aware that he would have to be playing Premier League football. With his children in school in the local area, Parker opted to remain in London and signed for close rivals Tottenham for a fee of £5.5m. Parker made 129 appearances for West Ham in all competitions, scoring 12 goals.

Parker was named Tottenham's Player of the Year in his first season with the club, playing in 29 league matches as the club finished fourth but were denied Champions League qualification as Chelsea won that competition and would compete as holders despite finishing sixth in the Premier League. Parker's move to Spurs paid off in that he cemented his England place, being named Man of the Match in a friendly against European and World champions Spain in November 2011 and appearing as captain of his country against the Netherlands in February 2012. He was also voted by his peers into the PFA's Premier League Team of the Year for 2011/12 and was voted by supporters as England's Player of the Year for 2011. Parker started all four matches at Euro 2012 as England made the quarter-finals; he won his 18th and final England cap in an 8-0 World Cup qualifying win in San Marino on 22nd March 2013. After 63 matches without scoring for Tottenham, he was on the move to Fulham in August 2013 – he retired in the summer of 2017. Parker, who turned 39 yesterday, is now the manager at Craven Cottage.

Scott Parker, disappointingly, received a mixed reception when he returned to Upton Park as a Tottenham player in February 2013. I was one of the many, however, who gave him a standing ovation when he left the field that night, remembering his four years of exceptional service rather than focusing on the club he left us for. For me, Parker was a perfect picture of passion, perseverance and pirouettes and I am sure he will be long remembered as a West Ham United great. I wish Super Scotty all the very best in his role at Fulham.

Bulgaria v England

England face Bulgaria tonight in a Euro 2020 qualifier – it will be the 12th meeting between the two nations. Parker played in the previous match between the two on Bulgarian soil – a 3-0 win for England in a Euro 2012 qualifier in front of 36,521 on 2nd September 2011. Olly Murs featuring Rizzle Kicks was number one with 'Heart Skips A Beat', The Inbetweeners Movie topped the UK box office and, the following evening, the first episode of The Jonathan Ross Show aired on ITV, just over a year after the presenter's departure from the BBC.

Future Hammers Joe Hart and Stewart Downing joined Parker in Fabio Capello's starting line-up two days after the midfielder had signed for Tottenham; former Iron Frank Lampard Junior also made an appearance from the bench. Manchester United's Chris Smalling made his England debut at right-back. 25-year-old Bolton centre-half Gary Cahill was off the mark for his first England goal after 13 minutes, guiding home a clipped ball from Gareth Barry.

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney rose to head home Downing's 21st-minute corner and then rounded off a sweeping counter-attack involving Theo Walcott and Ashley Young to wrap up the victory seconds before the break for his 28th goal in his 71st international appearan

England: Joe Hart (Man City), Chris Smalling (Man Utd), Gary Cahill (Bolton), John Terry (captain, Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Gareth Barry (Man City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Man Utd), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd).

Subs: James Milner (Man City) for Young, Frank Lampard Junior (Chelsea) for Barry, Adam Johnson (Man City) for Walcott.

Bulgaria: Nikolay Mihaylov (Twente), Petar Zanev (Litex Lovech), Ivan Bandalovski (CSKA Sofia), Ivan Ivanov (Partizan Belgrade) Nikolay Bodurov (Litex Lovech), Zhivko Milanov (Vaslui), Blagoy Georgiev (Terek Grozny), Stiliyan Petrov (captain, Aston Villa), Ivelin Popov (Gaziantepspor), Martin Petrov (Bolton), Tsvetan Genkov (Wisla Krakow).

Subs: Georgi Sarmov (Kasimpasa) for Bandalovski; Georgi Bozhilov (Cherno More) for Genkov, Marquinhos (Anorthosis Famagusta) for Popov.

The previous articles in the series are:

Vic Watson
Jack Tresadern
Billy Moore
Jackie Morton
Ken Brown
Bobby Moore
Johnny 'Budgie' Byrne
Sir Geoff Hurst
Martin Peters
Frank Lampard Senior
Sir Trevor Brooking
Alan Devonshire
Alvin Martin
Paul Goddard
Rio Ferdinand
Stuart Pearce
Frank Lampard Junior
Joe Cole
David James
Kieron Dyer
Robert Green
Stewart Downing
Joe Hart

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2019/10/14/crossed-hammers-three-lions-scott-parker

MikeW

I'm assuming The Sun story quoted above is another one they made up as Ranieri seems to have been painted out of the picture according to the first sentence?  Thought Dave Kidd was a Fulham fan?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."