watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff - 16/10/19...

Started by WhiteJC, October 16, 2019, 08:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham loan watch: Jean Michael Seri has mixed Galatasaray spell as Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Fabri have contrasting La Liga stories

In our Loan Watch feature series, the Football Transfer Tavern takes a look at how a selection of players from a particular club are faring whilst they are away from their parent side, and provide a brief update regarding their form.

Here is an update from some of Fulham's loanees, with Jean Michael Seri, Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Fabri all spending time away from Craven Cottage at present.

JEAN MICHAEL SERI

Jean Michael Seri has endured mixed fortunes during his loan spell at Galatasaray, with the Ivorian starting his Turkish spell with a Super Cup-winning assist – before getting sent off a few weeks later as his team were held by Konyaspor.

That saw him sit out two Super Lig games, and although he marked his return with a goal against Yeni Malatyaspor, he has not made a league appearance since.

However, he has played every minute of Galatasaray's Champions League group stage campaign so far, though they have gained just one point ahead of a double-header against Real Madrid in the weeks to come.

ANDRE-FRANK ZAMBO ANGUISSA

Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa has become a solid component of a Villarreal side that has gifted the Cameroonian some top-flight experience in Spain.

Starting six of the Yellow Submarine's opening eight league games, the 23-year-old has helped his temporary side to take up ninth place in the table going into the international break, despite narrowly being beaten by Barcelona towards the end of last month.

Heading into the break off the back of a defeat to Osasuna, Anguissa and Villarreal face a trip to Espanyol next weekend.

FABRI

With RCD Mallorca not in action due to the international break, it was a rather normal weekend for Fabri, who has spent the last five La Liga matches watching from the substitutes' bench.

His 'highlight' – if you can call it that – arguably came when the goalkeeper managed to get himself booked during his side's defeat to Getafe back in September.

But the Spaniard did at least get to witness his side pick up three points before the league schedule took a week off as Mallorca overcame Espanyol, with the 31-year-old having spent August out of the frame at Craven Cottage.

Seri has arguably shown the best and worst of his abilities during his short spell at Galatasaray so far, but the disruptive start to his loan may mean he is yet to find his feet in Turkey.

Meanwhile, the Fulham duo in Spain have had contrasting starts, with Anguissa a regular for Villarreal and Fabri yet to up his appearances tally since heading overseas.

But with plenty of games to be played, there is still ample time for the trio to gain more valuable top-flight experience as Fulham will look to provide more upon their returns in the summer.

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/premier-league/fulham/fulham-loan-watch-jean-michael-seri-has-mixed-galatasaray-spell-as-andre-frank-zambo-anguissa-and-fabri-have-contrasting-la-liga-stories/

WhiteJC

Former Stoke City boss urges Nathan Jones to make bold selection call against Fulham

Stoke City legend Lou Macari has urged Nathan Jones to stick with the same team that faced Swansea City last time out, as the Potters prepare to take on high-flying Fulham this weekend.

Jones' side finally picked up their first league win of the season in their previous game, defeating the Swans by two goals to one at the Liberty Stadium, thanks to Scott Hogan's late strike in stoppage-time.

The Potters remain at the bottom of the Sky Bet Championship table and still sit three points adrift of safety, but confidence is bound to be sky-high heading into this weekend's clash.

Jones has shown during his time at Stoke that he isn't afraid to make changes to his side, regardless of the result in the previous game.

But speaking in his latest column in the Stoke Sentinel, Macari has urged Jones to stick with the same line-up that started from the off in South Wales.

He said: "I often wonder what ever happened to the old footballing adage of `never change a winning team' – but surely this weekend we will, barring injuries, see the same Stoke 11 starting against Fulham which started against Swansea last time out.

"Nathan Jones knows he'll leave himself open to all kinds of criticism if he changes a winning team on this occasion.

"Because that win at Swansea was Stoke's first in the league, at the 11th attempt, and because it was a very good performance as well.

"That changes everything, at least in the short term, because we all know Stoke and their supporters were on their knees going into that Swansea game."

Saturday afternoon will undoubtedly be a tough test for Jones and his side, as they prepare to take on a Fulham side that have scored 20 goals in 11 games thus far this term.

Scott Parker's side occupy seventh spot in the Championship league standings.

The Verdict

I can't see Jones sticking with the same team that faced Swansea before the international break, there's bound to be a change in there somewhere.

Jones, very rarely, sticks with the same starting XI, and why that is, I'm not quite sure.

Obviously, different players suit different games and different opponents, but in my view, I think it's important that they are building cohesion and relationships on the pitch as well as off it.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/former-stoke-city-boss-urges-nathan-jones-to-make-bold-selection-call-against-fulham/

WhiteJC

Nathan Jones offers backing to Stoke City midfielder ahead of Fulham clash

Stoke City manager Nathan Jones has offered his support and backing to midfielder Joe Allen, who is set to return to the Potters this week, following his international exploits with Wales in back to back Euro 2020 qualifiers.

Jones has seen Allen as one of his most dependable players so far this, with the 29-year-old making nine appearances for the Potters in the Championship this season, with the two games he has missed coming after he was suspended for picking up a red card in Stoke's 2-1 defeat at home to Bristol City in September.

Allen, though, has been one of the senior Stoke players who has been subject to criticism from the Potters' supporters, with the midfielder at times struggling to help his side recover from losing the ball in midfield, and allowing opposing teams to be able to break Jones' side down too easily from the middle of the pitch.

However, in Stoke's first win of the season in the Championship at Swansea City just before the international break, Allen produced a strong performance in the heart of midfield, helping the Potters keep a more solid shape, as well as offering composure in possession.

Speaking to the Stoke Sentinel, Jones offered his backing to Allen and praised the 29-year-old for his performance in the win at Swansea, saying "Joe has given me everything, but he's been dragged down a little bit and then I couldn't hammer him for his red card (in the 12th minute against Bristol City on September 14) because it was his desire to do well for him, for me, for everything.

"He was outstanding at Swansea, but everyone was. We defended superbly as a back four, the diamond was wonderful and caused them problems.

"We had a real energy about us and a threat up top to make us as dominant as anyone who has gone to Swansea."

The Verdict

Jones' faith in Allen at times throughout the first few months of the season has been questioned by some of the club's supporters, with the 29-year-old putting in some poor performances alongside most of his team-mates in some of the Potters' frustrating defeats and draws in the opening eleven games.

However, against Swansea Allen was back to his best to help the Potters record a much-needed win, to help them re-gain some ground on some of the teams around them down at the bottom of the division – and the Wales international demonstrated his importance to the midfield by putting in an excellent performance, and helping his side maintain a much more solid shape.

Allen, though, will need to ensure that he continues to display that sort of form on a consistent basis from now on, if he is going to be able to help his side pick up similar results and start to move away from the relegation places.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/nathan-jones-offers-backing-to-stoke-city-midfielder-ahead-of-fulham-clash/

WhiteJC

3 fringe Fulham players who need to impress between now and January

Scott Parker can be reasonably satisfied with how his Fulham side have started life in the Championship following last season's relegation.

They sit in seventh place with 11 matches played and look well on course to challenge for a place in the top-six at the very least as they look to make an immediate return to the promised land.

With the January transfer window just around the corner as well, planning will have already started with some first-team members no doubt feeling a tad nervous as well.

Here then, are THREE Fulham players who need to impress...

Maxime Le Marchand

The Frenchman started the season in the back-line but a dismal display away to Barnsley on the opening day quickly saw him tumble down the pecking order.

He is behind both Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson and if he does not nip ahead of one of them before January, and the arrival of Michael Hector, his chances of first-team football at Craven Cottage for the season could evaporate completely.

Marek Rodak

The goalkeeper impressed during the Whites 2-0 defeat to Southampton in the League Cup but remains behind Marcus Bettinelli in the pecking order.

He will be desperate for a chance to impress in the first-team once again but it could be a case of the 22-year-old being sent out on loan again in January if not.

He will want to play first-team football, after all.

Cyrus Christie

The competition at right-back has been unexpectedly fierce this season but it is Christie who has suffered most as a result of it.

Steven Sessegnon appears to be leading the charge, with his added attacking threat, whilst Denis Odoi remains Parker's preferred back when a more defensive approach is called upon.

Two appearances is all Christie has managed so far and it does not look like he will be shifting from third-choice unless he can impress.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-fringe-fulham-players-who-need-to-impress-between-now-and-january/

WhiteJC

'I'm surprised they even considered it' – Fulham's interest in ex-Sheffield Wednesday player: The verdict

This article is part of Football League World's 'The Verdict' series, which provides personal opinions from the FLW writers regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

After a mixed start, Fulham seem to be getting their act together, with Scott Parker's side currently in seventh place in the Championship and unbeaten in six, ahead of the weekend trip to Stoke City.

One player who will not be joining the Cottagers though is former Sheffield Wednesday striker Gary Hooper, who was considered by the west London side along with Bristol City, as per the Star.

But would Hooper have been a good signing if he had come to Craven Cottage and is he actually needed?

We discuss........

Josh Cole

"Although there is no doubting that Hooper has the quality needed to thrive at Championship level, Fulham would be taking a risk by signing him.

"Having missed a significant chunk of the previous campaign due to injury, there is no guarantee that the former Sheffield Wednesday man will be able to stay fit if he joins the Cottagers.

"Furthermore, when you consider that Fulham currently have Aleksandar Mitrovic and Bobby Reid at their disposal, Hooper may struggle to force his way into Scott Parker's starting eleven.

"Therefore, if the Cottagers are keen to bolster their attacking options in the not too distant future, they may find it beneficial to look elsewhere for inspiration."

Chris Gallagher

"Not at all, I'm surprised they even considered it.

"They have Aleksandar Mitrovic, who if we're honest is going to play every time he is fit, whilst Bobby Reid is a quality backup. Then, Aboubakar Kamara and Ivan Cavaleiro can play centrally if needed. So, whilst Hooper was a decent player when he was available for Wednesday, he isn't good enough to get into this classy Fulham XI.

"It would have been a pretty pointless signing and it's not an area of the pitch that Scott Parker needs to be looking to address now or in January.

"As for Hooper, he needs to be playing regularly so a move to Craven Cottage wouldn't have suited him either."

Ben Lang

"Fulham would have certainly benefited from having another striker to support Mitrovic, but I don't think Hooper quite fits the mould of player they needed.

"Hooper has many similar traits to Mitrovic in that he is a strong and powerful centre-forward who is also a good finisher, but Fulham instead needed a more mobile option who could provide something different.

"They eventually opted for Bobby Reid to provide this and I think this purchase made a lot more sense than that of Hooper, who is perhaps has not seen much game time in recent years.

"Hooper would have also been itching to get on the pitch for Fulham, and this would have been difficult with Mitrovic in the side. I don't think this would have been a worthwhile move."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/im-surprised-they-even-considered-it-fulhams-interest-in-ex-sheffield-wednesday-player-the-verdict/

WhiteJC

TC Wins Fulham GOTM

Tom Cairney's lovely hit against Wigan Athletic has won the Club's Goal of the Month award for September.

The curling strike into the top bins faced some stiff competition from Alice Curr, though, with the Fulham Women's forward coming a close second for her fantastic dipping effort at the start of the month.

Between them, they claimed three-quarters of all the votes cast, with TC just about coming out on top with 40.4 per cent to Curr's 34.6.

Anthony Knockaert's cross-shot against West Bromwich Albion and Kate Foster's angled chip versus Mole Valley came joint-third with 9.6 per cent each.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/15/tom-cairney-wins-fulham-goal-of-the-month

WhiteJC

Games for the Weekend 19/10...
So after the international break we travel to Stoke for a 3 o'clock Saturday kick-off.
Well Mitro's certainly enjoying his football both on international duty, he's now sixth in Serbia's all time goal scorers he's currently scored 31, and domestic, so far 8 goals this season, how lucky are we to have him?
We're coming off a six game unbeaten run, although the 2 draws somehow felt like losses.
Meanwhile, Stoke have had a poor start to the season, so far only drawing 3 however they beat Swansea, at Swansea!, last time out, so they'll be full of confidence and looking to get one over on us.
Our record against Stoke is remarkably even, in the last 15 games we've won 7, Stoke have won 7 and we've drawn 1 game, hopefully we can add to the win number this weekend.

COYW's

Games of Interest...
Friday 18th

Cardiff v Sheff Wed

Saturday 19th
Barnsley v Swansea
Brentford v Millwall
Charlton v Derby
Hull v QPR
Leeds v Birmingham City
Luton v Bristol City
Stoke v Fulham

come on over to the forum and join in the discussion...
https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

https://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=950

WhiteJC

Joe Bryan sends positive message ahead of Fulham's Championship return

Fulham fan-favourite Joe Bryan has sent a message to the club's fans ahead of this weekend's clash with Stoke City.

The second-tier has been out of action for a week thanks to the international break but it will burst back into life this weekend, with the Whites travelling to face an out of sorts Potters.

Taking to Instagram, Bryan shared some positive vibes with his followers.

Writing alongside a snap of himself and club captain Tom Cairney, the left-back said: "Smile. Football is back this weekend!"

Scott Parker can be reasonably satisfied with how his Fulham side have started life in the Championship following last season's relegation.

They sit in seventh place with 11 matches played and look well on course to challenge for a place in the top-six at the very least as they look to make an immediate return to the promised land.

For Nathan Jones, the table tells a very different story with his side slumped in last place with just five points to their name.

They picked up a badly needed three points against Swansea prior to the break, however, and will be desperate to build on that against the Whites at the own ground.

The verdict

Bryan is such an infectious character and it is easy to see why he is so well liked by the fans.

On the pitch he is crucial as well. A menace going forward, his end product is usually brilliant, but is more than good enough to hold his own in defence as well.

This will be a tougher test for Fulham than it may have been three weeks ago so it is crucial that everybody is on top their game.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/joe-bryan-sends-positive-message-ahead-of-fulhams-championship-return/

WhiteJC

'Sampdoria are not Fulham' - Premier League-winning boss Ranieri confident of Serie A success
After failing to revive the Cottagers' fortunes, the Italian dismissed comparisons between that and his new job.

CLAUDIO RANIERI DOE does not fear history will repeat itself after comparisons were drawn between Sampdoria's predicament and the one he faced at Fulham.

The 67-year-old has taken the reins at a club residing bottom of Serie A, with the Blucerchiati posting just three points from their opening seven games to cost Eusebio Di Francesco his job.

Fulham were also rooted to the foot of the Premier League table when the Italian took charge in November 2018, but he was dismissed after winning only three of his 17 games at the helm.

However, Ranieri considers the task at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris to be vastly different from the one he took on at Craven Cottage.

"Sampdoria are not Fulham. Don't forget, Fulham were a newly promoted club with players who had never been in the Premier League," 2015/16 Leicester City Premier League-winning manager and ex-Chelsea boss Ranieri said.

"In the January transfer window, they followed the advice of algorithms. This is totally different. Sampdoria have played good football and are struggling, so now need the desire to fight hard.

"The quality towards the lower half of the table has improved significantly, which adds difficulties to us, but is also a sign that Italian football is returning to the top level.

I'll be honest, it was a surprise when I got the call from Sampdoria. I'd had surgery on my knee and wasn't expecting this to be my medication.

"I am convinced this squad does not belong at the foot of the Serie A table. When a team is rock bottom, naturally there is a lack of self-esteem, but I want my players not to give up. I am a sportsman, so I know how to accept defeat if the opponent proves he is stronger, but he has to prove it.

"I am not picking the team, it is the lads who must show me who really wants to save Sampdoria. We need the team, the fans and myself to be as one."

It is Ranieri's birthday on Sunday and he will mark the occasion with a home match against his former employers and the club he supports, Roma.

"I am a Roma supporter, but have always appreciated Samp," he said, having also succeeded Di Francesco at Stadio Olimpico.

"I was happy when they won the Scudetto [in 1991] and disappointed during the European Cup final defeat at Wembley [in 1992]. I respect Di Francesco and hope he finds a new role as soon as possible.

"As for facing Roma on my debut – and my birthday – it's all wonderful. Naturally, when we step on to that pitch, there is no love, but only professionalism. May the best team win, we will try to give our best."

https://www.the42.ie/claudio-ranieri-sampdoria-4853174-Oct2019/

filham

Difficult to understand why we arrange  loan deals Serri and Anquissa rather than put cash in the Kitty from a direct sale.
I wonder what our plans are for them next season.

MikeW

Could be Anguissa might find a way back if he impresses and toughens up his attitude a bit?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Bill2

Quote from: MikeW on October 16, 2019, 12:01:01 PM
Could be Anguissa might find a way back if he impresses and toughens up his attitude a bit?
Have to say neither of these two would be getting a starting spot in today's team, in fact not even sure they would be on the bench. Not sad to see them go.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: filham on October 16, 2019, 10:51:46 AM
Difficult to understand why we arrange  loan deals Serri and Anquissa rather than put cash in the Kitty from a direct sale.
I wonder what our plans are for them next season.

We would not have got the money back we payed for them as they both had a poor season.