more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 17/10/19...

Started by WhiteJC, October 17, 2019, 07:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The case for Tyrese Campbell to start for Stoke City v Fulham

Stoke City debate | Nathan Jones appears to be weighing up two from four strikers as he prepares to take on promotion chasers this weekend

In one corner there is work horse but goal shy Lee Gregory, who has got defences and goalkeepers thinking with his pressing.

In the second corner there is teenage tyro Tyrese Campbell, who is yet to get on the mark this season but only made his first league start of the term last time out.

In the third corner there is poacher and last time's last minute match winner, Scott Hogan, who hasn't started a league game since August.

And in the fourth corner there is big money January signing Sam Vokes, who set up that dramatic finish at Swansea with a fine header.

They appear to be the four strikers who Nathan Jones is weighing up as he decides who to pair up front against Fulham this weekend.

Gregory and Campbell played the first 65 minutes at the Liberty Stadium before the international break while Vokes and Hogan - having been left out of the previous squad - came off the bench to help claim all three points.

It was all up for discussion with Stoke reporters Pete Smith and Martin Spinks, the first of this week's Stoke City video debates.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-tyrese-campbell-fulham-3434871

WhiteJC

International Round-Up

Stefan Johansen's Norway became the first side to take points off Spain in the current European Qualifiers on Saturday.

Spain had enjoyed a 100 per cent record in their six Group F matches to date, but a stoppage time penalty from AFC Bournemouth's Josh King meant the match finished 1-1 in Oslo.

The fixture saw Sergio Ramos win a record breaking 168th cap for his country, who took the lead through Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez.

Johansen captained Norway, but was replaced on 63 minutes by striker Alexander Sørloth as the hosts chased an equaliser.

A day earlier, Tim Ream played the full 90 as the United States kicked off their CONCACAF Nations League campaign in style against Cuba.

They secured a huge 7-0 victory in Washington, with Schalke midfielder Weston McKennie bagging a hat-trick inside the opening 13 minutes.

His first came after just 32 seconds, making it the second fastest goal in USMNT history, three seconds later than Clint Dempsey's goal against Ghana at the 2014 World Cup.

On Thursday, Aleksandar Mitrović headed a last minute winner for Serbia in their friendly win over Paraguay.

The Fulham man – wearing the captain's armband – glanced home a cross from the left for the only goal of the game, taking himself to sixth in Serbia's all-time scorers list.

Speaking about moving into the top six, Mitrović said: "I don't think about that. As long as we are in good health, Serbia's wins are more important than my goals."

Elsewhere, Neeskens Kebano started Congo's 1-1 draw with Algeria in Bilda.

Islam Slimani put the home side in front early on, but Congo restored parity with Cedric Bakambu's header.

Kebano played 73 minutes before being replaced by Jackson Muleka.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/14/international-round-up

WhiteJC

Reed: High Standards

Despite acknowledging a solid start to the season, Harrison Reed insists there is "a lot more to come" from Fulham.

The Whites sit just three points off top spot in what has been a competitive start to the Championship season, but Reed believes we should be in an even better position.

"I think if you look at the table and the points we are off the top of the league, it's a strong start," he told fulhamfc.com. "But, reflecting over this last couple of weeks, we feel like there's a few games where we should've picked up more points.

"That's a good thing, to be where we are and thinking we could've done better. It shows how high our standards are that as a team we're not happy with where we are, that we want to push on and be even better.

"It's a good platform to build on, but I think there's a lot more to come from us."

The Fulham faithful have taken quickly to Reed since his deadline day loan from Southampton. A quick look on Twitter and the phrases 'elite baller', 'little rottweiler', and 'Fulham's N'Golo Kante' all come up when you search his name.

"You see little bits," he said when asked if he was aware of his fan club. "It's like anything, you try not to read too much into it, whether it's negative or positive. You have to keep your feet on the floor and keep working.

"But I do hear things and obviously it's a real good feeling for me, a confidence booster to see and hear that the work I'm doing on the pitch in front of the fans is leaving them with a good impression.

"I had a three or four game spell in the team and felt like I was settling in well, becoming stronger physically, learning how we play, everything becoming more automatic.

"The last two games I didn't start but I felt like I had a positive impact when I came on against Charlton. I've just got to look to build on that now and hopefully get back in the team."

Reed is in a unique position in the Fulham side, in that he's the only man who's regularly featured who is yet to taste defeat.

His seven appearances have yielded three wins and four draws. But, naturally, he's keen to tip the scales a bit more in our favour: "I didn't know that, that's a good stat!

"Unbeaten, but definitely want to be turning those draws into wins and picking up more points. I want to come off the pitch feeling a lot more upbeat than I have done on a couple of occasions where we've conceded late and ended up with a 1-1 draw.

"It's a good stat but I'd like to be picking up three points more often than not."

Reed and co are back in action this weekend when we face Stoke City – a side who picked up their first win of the campaign against high-flying Swansea City last time out.

"It's been a tough season for them," Reed admitted. "You see a lot in the press about pressure on the manager and the players, but they got a great result against Swansea and that will lift the spirits in the camp.

"But we're preparing like we would for any game, concentrating on ourselves and making sure when the whistle blows at three o'clock on Saturday that we're raring to go."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/october/16/harrison-reed-high-standards

WhiteJC

Stoke City v Fulham: TV details, team news and odds

Stoke City latest | The Potters resume their Sky Bet Championship campaign this weekend following the international break as they take on the Cottagers at the bet365 Stadium

Stoke City are back in Sky Bet Championship action this weekend following the international break.

The Potters resume their campaign on with a home showdown against Fulham at the bet365 Stadium.

It will have been a fortnight since Nathan Jones' side shocked leaders Swansea City by claiming a 2-1 victory in south Wales.

That was a much-needed first league win of the season for struggling Stoke, who remain bottom of the table with only five points from their opening 11 games.

Fulham are currently seventh, just one point outside the play-off zone.

Scott Parker's men are unbeaten in six outings, though four of those have been draws.

Last time out, they had to twice come from behind to draw 2-2 at home to Charlton Athletic.

Here is some more useful information for you ahead of this weekend's game...

When is kick-off?

3pm on Saturday (October 19).
Is the game on TV?

The fixture has not been selected for live television coverage - but you can follow all the action as it happens here at StokeonTrentLive.

Highlights of the match will be shown during the Championship highlights show on Quest, which starts at 9pm on Saturday.
Latest team news

Possible Stoke line-up: Federici, Edwards, Carter-Vickers, Batth, Martins Indi, Ndiaye, Etebo, Clucas, Allen, Gregory, Campbell.

Possible Fulham line-up: Bettinelli, Sessegnon, Mawson, Ream, Bryan, Arter, Knockaert, Johansen, Cairney, Cavaleiro, Mitrovic.

Form guide

Stoke: LDLLW

Fulham: DDWWD
Match odds

Stoke win: 19/10

Fulham win: 7/5

Draw: 23/10

*Odds from Sky Bet and are subject to change

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-v-fulham-tv-3435706

WhiteJC

2 hot, 2 not at Fulham right now

Scott Parker will be looking to keep Fulham's promotion push on track when they visit Stoke City on Saturday.

The Whites currently sit in seventh place with 11 matches played upon their return to the second tier, and whilst there have undoubtedly been some great showings, a few questions left unanswered.

That applies to the individuals as well, with some dazzling whilst others are flopping.

Here, we take a look at TWO players who are hot right now, and TWO who are not...

Hot: Tom Cairney

The captain has shown that he is the club's best player once again this season.

In a side that features the attacking talents of Aleksandar Mitrovic, Anthony Knockaert and Ivan Cavaleiro that is no mean feat, but that is just what he has done.

His ability to control a game has been nothing short of outstanding at times this season and is absolutely the integral member of the side so far.

Hot: Joe Bryan

After a tricky debut season with Fulham in the Premier League, Bryan has seriously started to show his worth at Craven Cottage.

The left-back has been the stand-out player in the back line, stifling tricky opponents and remaining cool on the ball when playing out.

In attack he has been excellent too, already registering two assists and a goal, and looks set for another excellent Championship campaign.

Not: Marcus Bettinelli

The goalkeeper has struggled to recreate the sparkling form he showed during the Whites' last Championship campaign and the fans have started to lose patience.

His primary problem appears to be from crosses with a string of errors appearing to seriously damage his confidence.

He dropped a clangar against West Brom a few weeks ago when they were closing in on a precious three points and Parker must be considering a change.

Not: Maxime Le Marchand

The Frenchman was brought in last summer but is so far yet to come close to proving his worth for the Whites.

He is comfortably below Tim Ream and Alfie Mawson in the pecking order and will only sink lower in the rankings once Michael Hector has completed his transfer in January.

He now really has his work cut out if he is to rescue his career in South-West London.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-hot-2-not-at-fulham-right-now/

WhiteJC

Fulham four & lifting the mood: Rovers talking points

Tosin Adarabioyo is expected to be recalled to the side when Rovers host Huddersfield on Saturday

Rovers reporter Rich Sharpe picks out three talking points ahead of the home game with Huddersfield Town.

HOME IMPROVEMENTS

Five wins, three draws and six defeats, amassing 18 points in the process, is Rovers' record from their past 14 home matches.

It's one they simply must improve on and return from the international break with the opportunity to do just that.

Luton became the sixth team to win at Ewood in 2019, and despite an improved display against Nottingham Forest on October 1, they were unable to turn that in to a victory.

Scoring more than one goal would help, Rovers managing just seven in their six games so far, with the 2-0 win over Millwall the only time they have scored more than once.

With a new-look backline expected, there would be no better time to ease the pressure on the back four by delivering on their promise in the final third.

Eleven home wins in a season is the most they have managed in a Championship season since relegation from the Premier League, and one you feel they must at least match if they are to harbour ambitions of a top six push.

Rovers' record of not coming from behind to win a game since April 2018 is now well known, while they haven't won at Ewood when the opposition have scored since January 1.

LIFTING THE MOOD

It has been a tough international break for Rovers and their supporters.

The defeat at QPR will seem much longer than the two weeks it has been by the time Rovers take to the field against Huddersfield in the Saturday lunch-time kick-off.

The 4-2 humbling was compounded by news that Greg Cunningham may well have played the last game of his season-long loan spell, while 24 hours later scans confirmed Darragh Lenihan will be out for up to eight weeks.

Slipping to 14th in the table and without a win in three games, concerns over the make-up of the defensive line and questions to answer in attack, everyone associated with the club would welcome a morale-boosting three points, however they were to come about.

A fast start would certainly help to get a home crowd on board who may well arrive at Ewood with some level of anxiety.

THE FULHAM FOUR

Rovers will be forced in to at least two changes with Cunningham and Lenihan both ruled out.

Amari'i Bell replaced Cunningham in the first half at QPR, with Adarabioyo a second half substitute as Lenihan limped off.

They would be the most likely starters should Tony Mowbray stick with a back four that started together in the second match of the season at Fulham.

Were that to be the case, then it would be a fourth league start for Bell and third for Manchester City loanee Adarabioyo who has had injury troubles of his own so far this season.

One of those appearances also came in a back three, a system Mowbray is now unlikely to consider with Lenihan out for up to two months.

So the pressure will be on both to come in to the side and overcome defensive lapses that saw Rovers caught cold by QPR, shipping four goals in just over one half of football at Loftus Road.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17973180.fulham-four-lifting-mood-rovers-talking-points/

WhiteJC

Southampton loanee Harrison Reed issues positive update on Fulham stint

The Saints midfielder is away from St Mary's this term and already he has become a fan favourite at Craven Cottage.

Southampton academy graduate Harrison Reed has issued an update on how his loan spell at Fulham is going and it's positive news for the Saints faithful as he seems to be progressing nicely away from St Mary's.

The 24-year-old has come through the ranks at Southampton, making his debut in 2013, but is yet to fully establish himself in the first team, with 30 senior appearances under his belt (Transfermarkt).

On transfer deadline day, Reed completed a season-long loan move to Fulham (official Southampton website), and to date he has made seven appearances for the Cottagers including four Championship starts (Transfermarkt).

Reed has already become a fan favourite at the London club, their official website noting that a "quick look on Twitter" relating to the player brings up phrases such as 'elite baller', 'little rottweiler', and 'Fulham's N'Golo Kante', and the St Mary's loanee was asked about how that felt.

"You see little bits, It's like anything, you try not to read too much into it," Reed told the Fulham website. "But I do hear things and obviously it's a real good feeling for me, a confidence booster to see and hear that the work I'm doing on the pitch in front of the fans is leaving them with a good impression.

"I had a three or four game spell in the team and felt like I was settling in well, becoming stronger physically, learning how we play, everything becoming more automatic. The last two games I didn't start but I felt like I had a positive impact when I came on against Charlton. I've just got to look to build on that now and hopefully get back in the team."

Reed made his professional debut for Southampton in 2013 against Barnsley, coming off the bench in a 5-1 win in the League Cup, then his Premier League bow came in the same season against Manchester City, before making his first start a year later in a 3-0 win over Everton.

A versatile player who can turn out in defensive midfield as well in the centre of the park and on the right-hand side (Transfermarkt), Reed spent last season on loan at Blackburn Rovers, having previously been at Norwich City for the 2017-18 season.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/10/16/southampton-harrison-reed-positive-update-on-fulham-stint/

WhiteJC

Emerging stats reveal impressive aspect of Fulham's game

The Fulham trio of Aleksander Mitrovic, Tom Cairney and Ivan Cavaleiro have been named as the most productive with the most goal involvements during the current EFL Championship, with trios from QPR, West Brom and Preston North End not far behind, according to Playmakerstats.

Fulham lead the way with 23 goals, Mitrovic having scored eight for Fulham this campaign, while central midfielder Cairney has scored five and laid on three for his team-mates. Winger Cavaleiro, who signed for the club from Wolverhampton Wanderers in the summer, has notched four goals and set up three goals for the side so far this campaign.

Four goals behind Fulham with 19 goals are the QPR trio, with Eberechi Eze, Jordan Hugill and Nahki Wells providing QPR's most dangerous attack so far this season.

Joint level with QPR are the West Brom trio who have also been in flying form so far this season, with loan winger Grady Diangana, Matheus Pereira and Matt Phillips being the most dangerous attack that the Baggies manager Slaven Bilic has available to him.

Following in fourth place is Preston North End, which is a midfield trio who have been banging in the goals and creating the assists as the trio come to a combined total of 18 thanks to Josh Harrop, Daniel Johnson and Paul Gallagher.

The Verdict

Fulham's attacking trio named in the article consistently put in the performances for Fulham and have been dangerous all season long, and don't look like slowing down with their performances just yet as they look to bounce straight back up to the Premier League.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/emerging-stats-reveal-impressive-aspect-of-fulhams-game/

WhiteJC

'Taken him a little while to adjust' – Fulham fan pundit gives views on incoming

This article is part of Football League World's 'Regular Punter' series, where we gather original opinions from select, passionate fans of the clubs concerned on matters surrounding their team and share them with a wider audience...

Football League World's Fulham fan pundit Charles Jones has provided his views on how Bobby Reid has settled into life at Craven Cottage, with the 26-year-old having moved to the west London club on a season-long loan deal from fellow Championship outfit Cardiff City.

Reid has so far found game time hard to come by under the stewardship of Whites boss Scott Parker, with the former Bristol City forward having started just three of his first nine games for the club this season, often being kept out of the side by the form of both Aleksandar Mitrovic and Tom Cairney.

Jones was asked to provide a summarisation of how he felt Reid had gone on at the club so far, to which he replied with an honest assessment:

"Bobby Reid started quite slowly this season in my opinion, but I can't say that I blame him too much for that.

He arrived late on deadline day, and it will have understandably taken him a little while to adjust to our possession-based style of play, especially after spending the last 12 months playing under Neil Warnock.

"He seems to have come into his own in recent weeks as he looked a constant threat against Charlton and was arguably our best player against Reading.

"If he continues the form he has shown in our last couple of fixtures he'll certainly be a key player for us."

The Fulham fan pundit was then asked if he felt Reid deserved to be starting more games, to which he responded by saying:

"This is a real tough one.

"He's undoubtedly a fantastic player as shown by the 19 goals he scored in his last Championship season with Bristol City.

"He's a bit too attack-minded to swap him with Stefan Johansen in the midfield, and it's hard to make a case for changing our front three just because of how good they all are.

"I think that Reid's role of being a backup to all of our attacking options is probably the best way to utilise him at the moment, but that could change if he continues to make an impact when he comes on."

Last but not least, Jones gave a prediction on how Reid's season could pan out:

"I don't necessarily think he'll hit 20 goals this season as we've got so many players in our squad who can find the net, but I wouldn't be surprised if he got into double figures."

One thing's for sure, if our fan pundit's premonition is to come true, Reid will need to make the most of the limited game time he is getting at present, with both Cairney and Mitrovic showing no signs of slowing in terms of creative momentum.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/taken-him-a-little-while-to-adjust-fulham-fan-pundit-gives-views-on-incoming/

WhiteJC

Fulham ace issues message on season so far

Fulham midfielder Harrison Reed has said 'there's more to come' from his side, who are 7th in the Championship after 11 games.

Scott Parker's maiden season in football management is going well so far. Not much was of expected of his side after crashing out of the Premier League last season, and nor of the inexperienced Parker.

But Fulham sat 7th in the table going into this month's international break, with just one loss in ten Championship games leaving them one point outside the play-offs, and three from leaders West Brom.

Speaking about the club's season today – via the club website – was Harrison Reed. The midfielder joined on a season-long loan from Southampton in the summer, and believes that his side are capable of more:

"I think if you look at the table and the points we are off the top of the league, it's a strong start. But, reflecting over this last couple of weeks, we feel like there are a few games where we should've picked up more points.

"That's a good thing, to be where we are and thinking we could've done better. It shows how high our standards are that as a team we're not happy with where we are, that we want to push on and be even better.

"It's a good platform to build on, but I think there's a lot more to come from us."

Harrison has earned his praise at Craven Cottage, with the club being unbeaten in the seven fixtures he's played in.

"I do hear things and obviously it's a real good feeling for me," Harrison said, " it's a confidence booster to see and hear that the work I'm doing on the pitch in front of the fans is leaving them with a good impression.

"The last two games I didn't start but I felt like I had a positive impact when I came on against Charlton. I've just got to look to build on that now and hopefully get back in the team.

"I had a three or four game spell in the team and felt like I was settling in well, becoming stronger physically, learning how we play, everything becoming more automatic.

Fulham resume their campaign with a trip to bottom-club Stoke City at the weekend, and it'll be another game where Fulham are expected to win.

The verdict

Reed has been a solid signing for Fulham and he's right in saying that his team should be higher up the table.

They've drawn four of their last six in the Championship, having dropped points from winning positions in games against West Brom and Sheffield Wednesday last month.

But the table remains tight enough for a couple of results to throw you into the mix – just four points separate top and tenth-placed Charlton, and Fulham will be hoping that a win against Stoke this weekend will do just that.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-ace-issues-message-on-season-so-far/

WhiteJC

Two more goals for Julien Ngoy as attention turns towards Fulham

Stoke City latest | Nathan Jones has squad back together to prepare for Championship clash with Fulham

Julien Ngoy was back on the scoresheet last night as Stoke City under-23s started their defence of the Staffordshire Senior County Cup.

Stoke were 3-0 winners at Eccleshall, with Ngoy getting a double in the first half before making way. Gabriel Kyremateng got the other from long range to set up a second round tie against Wolverhampton Casuals.

Ngoy now has three goals in two matches for Kevin Russell's junior Potters since returning from a season on loan at Grasshopper Zurich, a deal he was expected to make permanent.

The 21-year-old, who is under contract until 2022, had made it to the fringes of the first team under Mark Hughes but was not able to force his way into regular contention.

He has not played for the seniors since a sub appearance in a 5-0 whipping at Chelsea in one of Hughes's final games, in December 2017.

Nathan Jones ready to return to Stoke home dug out

Not many people would have left Stoke's last home match - a defeat to Huddersfield Town - expecting to see Nathan Jones back in the home dug out.

But a revitalising win at Swansea City means he is expected to receive a warm reception when Fulham come to town on Saturday.

Angela Smith, chairwoman of Stoke's fans' council, said: "I'm sure the fans will get behind him from the start as they always have done. We saw such an improved performance at Swansea and there is genuine hope that we haven't just turned the corner but navigated the biggest hairpin bend in the club's history."

Ryan Shotton reveals racist abuse

The former Stoke defender, who has played for Middlesbrough since 2017, has been talking about his experience of racism in the wake of the England-Bulgaria match.

He said: "Yes, I had an incident last year. We didn't say anything in the media or anything but there was an incident where monkey chants were heard as I went to pick the ball up for a throw in at a certain club.

"It did not affect me. It is nasty and it is disgusting but I know it is not about football, it is in their society and what they have grown up in and that's up to them.

"They have to grow up knowing that is who they are. I am happy with who I am. I'm proud of who I am."

The case for Tyrese Campbell to start on Saturday

Is it two of four for Nathan Jones to pick from when he chooses his front line against Fulham?

That's been the subject of a video debate between StokeonTrentLive's Stoke City writers, including the case for Tyrese Campbell to hold onto his starting shirt.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-transfer-julien-ngoy-3436691

WhiteJC

2 Fulham players that are bound to have clubs sniffing around in January

Fulham have made a steady start to the season under Scott Parker and have found some momentum of late after putting an unbeaten run of six games together before the international break.

This run has propelled Fulham into the upper half of the table and within touching distance of the Championship play off places. They are now in 7th on 19 points, just one point behind 6th place Bristol City.

Scott Parker's team have become well known for playing attacking, possession based football and this seems to be paying off. They have an excellent goal difference of 10 after scoring 20 league goals already and just conceding 10 in their opening 11.

While the whole team appears to be embracing Parker's philosophy, these players have produced a number of standout performances this season and will be attracting interest from other clubs in January.

Joe Bryan

Joe Bryan has started every game at left back for Fulham this season and has only been substituted once, late on in Fulham's 4-1 thrashing of Reading.

Bryan is obviously favoured by Parker in this position and this is highlighted by Bryan's importance to the team's possession play. Bryan rarely gives the ball away and has a good pass success rate of 84% and he has made an average of 59 passes per game.

He has also been involved in three goals this season with two assists and one goal. Bryan has put in stand out performances in recent weeks, most notably his man of the match display in the 2-0 win over Wigan at the end of September.

Bryan has been an ever present member of the Fulham squad since joining from Bristol City two seasons ago. If he continues his consistent start to the season, bigger clubs could become more interested in the 23 year old.

Aleksander Mitrović

Mitrović has scored goals at every level of the game, so it is perhaps no surprise that he has been one of the standout performers for Fulham this season.

Parker's reliability on Mitrović as his talisman is clear. Mitrović has played every minute of the campaign so far, has already scored eight goals and has only failed to score in three of the 11 fixtures so far.

Mitrović is undeniably a handful for opposition defenders and the 25-year-old striker has proven to be a constant threat in the early stages of the season, already having 45 shots on goal.

If Mitrović can keep fit throughout the season and return in the same vain of form he was in before the international break, it could turn out to be his most successful season in England.

But, Mitrović will attract interest from Premier League clubs which could cause a problem for Parker in January despite him willing to stay in the summer.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-fulham-players-that-are-bound-to-have-clubs-sniffing-around-in-january/