watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Keeping same team/formation

Started by MJG, October 19, 2019, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where the discussion was about keeping same team after a good performance and many think you win or play well  you keep same team or formation.
Well I think today kills that argument stone dead.
Yes second half other week we had that attacking formation and many said great, will he keep same or he should keep same.
Well he did and that's your answer. Football is not black and white and as simple as just doing what worked last time. Doing that for a full game away from home was stupid beyond belief.
Just the views of a long term fan

Mince n Tatties

Sting of the North

Agree completely MJG. This is not the formation they have implemented and trained for since early pre season.

FinFFC

What would have been better option then? 4-3-3? Once we went down 0-1, wasn't that the most attacking formation we could field? Maybe we could have taken one away from the midfield trio and play 3-4-3 to be even more attacking, but that would have left us exposed at the back, it was TC and Reed in the middle, for eg.

We had the possession, crosses and chances. We just didn't make them count, that's it.

fulhamben

Tinker man got it wrong again. Be amazed if he still has a job come xmas
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FinFFC on October 19, 2019, 05:15:38 PM
What would have been better option then? 4-3-3? Once we went down 0-1, wasn't that the most attacking formation we could field? Maybe we could have taken one away from the midfield trio and play 3-4-3 to be even more attacking, but that would have left us exposed at the back, it was TC and Reed in the middle, for eg.

We had the possession, crosses and chances. We just didn't make them count, that's it.

We didn't start 1-0 down. We were really poor first half, and no one looked like they knew what they were doing.

colinwhite

Like scott,but he got that wrong today and it was pretty obvious from the off. Too many players looked uncormfortable  in their roles and dont think Reed and Arter can play in the same team if we want to play offensively. The system just left us a man short the whole time.Better in the 2nd half but still not good enough . I hope he learns the lessons from today.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Sting of the North on October 19, 2019, 05:17:14 PM
Quote from: FinFFC on October 19, 2019, 05:15:38 PM

We didn't start 1-0 down. We were really poor first half, and no one looked like they knew what they were doing.
Yes we looked clueless first half.

One Martin Thomas

Agreed. You don't need Reed and Arter in same team against bottom of the league !

We need a new right back in January to play with Hector; but I fear that Parker won't be the Mgr choosing the new right back ! We have to be doing better than we are with those players !

ffc73

Same formation but different personnel that to me made a huge difference.
Reed & Stefjo ✔️
Reed & Arter ☹️

Fulham 442

MikeTheCubed

Had exactly the same thought when I saw the lineup at 2pm. There's a big difference between when you're throwing the kitchen sink in a home game with 20 minutes left, and kicking off an away game. 3-4-3 was naive, the team looked disjointed and the opposition exploited its holes.

Steven Ageroad

Quote from: fulhamben on October 19, 2019, 05:17:05 PM

Give it a rest Ben.

Statto

Well hold on.

Yes the basic rule is stick to your standard formation (which for us is 4-3-3) and best XI when you're winning.

I don't think that applies if you've changed to some radical, super-attacking formation when you're 1-0 down at half time - not sure anyone would say the "stick with a winning team" rule extends as far as keeping that second half team to start a difficult away match two weeks later.

I was one of those who criticised him for making 2-3 changes after our last two wins but if you look at the "team for Stoke" thread you'll see I was still asking for 4-3-3 today

The Rational Fan

Parker could have played that formation with different players in each positions. Firstly, if we are playing a back three, one of the wing-backs needs to be Bryan, Christie or more someone more defensive. Secondly, if the right wing back is not defensive then the right centre back has to be mobile (lie Odoi and not Mawson) to cover the space behind him. Thirdly, Ream shouldnt be the central centre back and Mawson shouldn't be a right centre back in a back theee. Lastly, we should always start with players in the field that could form a back four if required, which if Bryan played Left Wing Back could have happened.

Reid   Mitro  Knockartt

Bryan     Arter       Cairney     Calverio/Reed 

Ream    Mawson    Odoi

Betts

Andy S

Surely you go away from home and you want to come home with a point minimum. Whoever that team is. You do not need an unbalanced team to do that. It has to be well organised and know what it is doing. If it is nil nil just after half time they need three points and will go for it. That is the time to prove we are the better team

Chutney

The biggest mistake was dropping johansen
C O Y W

The Rational Fan

:bump:The biggest mistake was the back five selection.

Calevario, Bryan, Ream, Mawson, Knockaert (crazy defense that is going to conceed amd should score)

Ream looks like his played too many games plus Calevario, Bryan, Mawson and Knockaert are not in their best positions.

Bryan, MLM, Mawson, Odoi, Christie (easily good enough against the team coming last)

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on October 19, 2019, 06:10:31 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on October 19, 2019, 05:17:05 PM

Give it a rest Ben.

Why???? He's right .... If we're not top 6 in a month Parker has to go.

Mince n Tatties

I like Scotty but as has been said he is a bit naive sometimes.The Stoke manager is young also and part of that is sussing out the other man.
Jones said we knew how Fulham were set up and that
it would leave space at the back for them,Scotty kind of fell into the trap.
He has lots to learn yet,let's hope he does it quickly.