more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Keeping same team/formation

Started by MJG, October 19, 2019, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALG01

Quote from: MJG on October 19, 2019, 05:05:55 PM
There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where the discussion was about keeping same team after a good performance and many think you win or play well  you keep same team or formation.
Well I think today kills that argument stone dead.
Yes second half other week we had that attacking formation and many said great, will he keep same or he should keep same.
Well he did and that's your answer. Football is not black and white and as simple as just doing what worked last time. Doing that for a full game away from home was stupid beyond belief.

I do not think the argument is killed 'stone dead' because it didn't work yesterday. The starting 11 was clearly wrong yesterday  but that was not the team that started the 2nd half V charlton.
Usually if you do well you stick with it...but no steff jo made a big difference and scott just got it wrong.

MJG

Quote from: ALG01 on October 20, 2019, 10:22:21 AM
There was a thread on here a few weeks ago where the discussion was about keeping same team after a good performance and many think you win or play well  you keep same team or formation.
Yes second half other week we had that attacking formation and many said great, will he keep same or he should keep same.
Well he did and that's your answer. Football is not black and white and as simple as just doing what worked last time. Doing that for a full game away from home was stupid beyond belief.

I do not think the argument is killed 'stone dead' because it didn't work yesterday. The starting 11 was clearly wrong yesterday  but that was not the team that started the 2nd half V charlton.
Usually if you do well you stick with it...but no steff jo made a big difference and scott just got it wrong.
The point is as I wrote is it just doesn't work like that. So many were saying keep it 352 which is what yesterday was with those two wingers as wing backs. Even if Johansen had started you would still have had same issues. What happens next game we win with say 424.... Keep it next game? Its the peaks and troughs of opinion from some... Win everything great, lose... Sack everyone.
My main point was you can't just mirror the last game because it went well. Football doesn't work like that.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

I actually disagree and agree with the OP at the same time.  You should play your best XI but you adjust formation and tactics within the context of the game and you need players who can adapt their game too.  Jokanovic wasn't afraid to drop players who didn't conform to tactical and formation changes.  Parker needs to be much stronger minded than he has demonstrated for a few games now.  I have him written in for the whole season and I think he may need all that time to prove he is a good fit for the job.  He has the players in the squad but he must select them and not give in to other factors which then compound his problems rather than resolving them.

MJG

Quote from: toshes mate on October 20, 2019, 10:52:20 AM
I actually disagree and agree with the OP at the same time.  You should play your best XI but you adjust formation and tactics within the context of the game and you need players who can adapt their game too.  Jokanovic wasn't afraid to drop players who didn't conform to tactical and formation changes.  Parker needs to be much stronger minded than he has demonstrated for a few games now.  I have him written in for the whole season and I think he may need all that time to prove he is a good fit for the job.  He has the players in the squad but he must select them and not give in to other factors which then compound his problems rather than resolving them.
I also agree and disagree with the op as well. That's it really it's just not a clear cut.... do.. Don't do.
Just the views of a long term fan

colinwhite

Playing 3 at the back could work ,but then Bryan is a candidate to be left out with odoi coming in and Ream moving to the left side in my book.

Twig

Quote from: The Rational Fan on October 19, 2019, 11:22:48 PM
Parker could have played that formation with different players in each positions. Firstly, if we are playing a back three, one of the wing-backs needs to be Bryan, Christie or more someone more defensive. Secondly, if the right wing back is not defensive then the right centre back has to be mobile (lie Odoi and not Mawson) to cover the space behind him. Thirdly, Ream shouldnt be the central centre back and Mawson shouldn't be a right centre back in a back theee. Lastly, we should always start with players in the field that could form a back four if required, which if Bryan played Left Wing Back could have happened.

Reid   Mitro  Knockartt

Bryan     Arter       Cairney     Calverio/Reed 

Ream    Mawson    Odoi

Betts

I thin you make some valid points here.

SP

IMO, Odoi should be in any FFC Championship team.

grandad

The International break did us no favours. Mitro looked knackered.Ream had jet lag, Johansen was rested.
Playing 3 at the back & asking Bryan to play LCB was madness. Our defence is shaky at the best of times but to go into an away game with one less defender was stupid. Cav & Knockers are not wing backs. All the players have had 2 weeks to prepare but they still looked like strangers with so many playing out of position.
Still not heard from SP on why he changed from our preferred 4-3-3 to an untried 3-4-1-2.
Where there's a will there's a wife

ScalleysDad

I remember the 'Team In' thread being very positive for a while and it was also noted how weak the bench was thus making the starting eleven the best available due to enforced absentees. In earlier threads people wanted both Reid and Reed in, more support for Mitro, more bite in the midfield and in less positive comments the likes of Christie and AK were to be banished and Sess needed a break.  It has also been commented on that Ream and Mawson should be nurtured as the spine of the defence and that Joe Bryan is a really good egg. Threads also picked up on our inability to get the ball forward and get crosses in.
For the most part people got what they had been banging on about yesterday. You could debate whether Mitrovic had his head up his own backside in a sulk or was he knackered. You could debate whether Cairney needs a rocket or whether Odoi has moved on from being too weak and fragile to defensive messiah but to sack Parker and his coaches and mention JOka as a replacement is utter madness. He is history, got found out and a bit exposed and has not been deemed good enough for a number of Championship vacancies. How on earth is he suddenly the answer?
There was a comment somewhere on here yesterday about bumps in the road. This was one of them and there will be more. There was angst last week about not walloping Charlton. They had a good win yesterday and are proving to be a decent team. Stoke have been rubbish but have 'come together', in part to rescue the manager and have put together some decent performances. We have no right to expect them to let us win because we are the bookies favourites. Was this season not about a monumental rebuild?

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 20, 2019, 12:08:34 PM
I remember the 'Team In' thread being very positive for a while and it was also noted how weak the bench was thus making the starting eleven the best available due to enforced absentees. In earlier threads people wanted both Reid and Reed in, more support for Mitro, more bite in the midfield and in less positive comments the likes of Christie and AK were to be banished and Sess needed a break.  It has also been commented on that Ream and Mawson should be nurtured as the spine of the defence and that Joe Bryan is a really good egg. Threads also picked up on our inability to get the ball forward and get crosses in.
For the most part people got what they had been banging on about yesterday.

Sorry but I'm not sure how you get from the first few sentences to the last one. Yes the majority of people (including me) wanted Reed and Reid in, and Sessegnon rotated, but how many in the "your team v stoke" thread wanted 3 at the back? A couple mentioned it but 90% (again, including me) were sticking with 4-3-3.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on October 20, 2019, 10:36:23 AM
So many were saying keep it 352

No, some said that but only a minority (on here at least)

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on October 20, 2019, 12:53:01 PM

Sorry but I'm not sure how you get from the first few sentences to the last one. Yes the majority of people (including me) wanted Reed and Reid in, and Sessegnon rotated, but how many in the "your team v stoke" thread wanted 3 at the back? A couple mentioned it but 90% (again, including me) were sticking with 4-3-3.

Playing with three at the back is not crazy, as long as one of the wing-backs (e.g. Bryan or Christie) has at least some defensive experience. The formation wasn't the problem, the combination of players assigned to each position was crazy and demonstrates our managers inexperience.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Statto on October 20, 2019, 12:53:01 PM

I did say it started positively.

ALG01

Quote from: MJG on October 20, 2019, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on October 20, 2019, 10:22:21 AM

The point is as I wrote is it just doesn't work like that. So many were saying keep it 352 which is what yesterday was with those two wingers as wing backs. Even if Johansen had started you would still have had same issues. What happens next game we win with say 424.... Keep it next game? Its the peaks and troughs of opinion from some... Win everything great, lose... Sack everyone.
My main point was you can't just mirror the last game because it went well. Football doesn't work like that.

Well yes your point is taken.

filham

Scott took an attacking gamble which Stoke were able to take advantage of.
But if you are going to take such a gamble I guess the right time to take it is when you are playing the team at the bottom of the table.

WindyCity

Yes, that's true.  Particularly disappointing since the team had full two weeks to prepare.  To analyze the teams' best eleven and also closely scrutinize what Stoke is all about and try to play to take advantage.  I assume they watch tape of opponents coming into a new game in the way of preparation.  Very disappointing result.  BUT, we've seen this movie before.  Dominant possession, little to no productive offense.  Just like last year, a couple of good halves have been played, the rest, not so much.  How can you have 80% possession and have ZERO shots (first half)?  Something is wrong with the offensive structure.  FFC should at least be getting many more chances/shots/shots on target.  It just isn't happening.

Matt10

Only issue I had with the formation is that we have the same type of players in the midfield with Arter and Reed. As a result, Ream had to start the attacks. We had 90% pass accuracy, if that doesn't say square ball football, I am not sure what else it could have been. In addition, the inverted wingers, especially Knockaert, slowed us down. Lastly, we had 10 shots and only 4 on target. How we managed that with a pretty lackluster creative spark is beyond me.

WindyCity

Quote from: Matt10 on October 20, 2019, 07:30:02 PM
Only issue I had with the formation is that we have the same type of players in the midfield with Arter and Reed. As a result, Ream had to start the attacks. We had 90% pass accuracy, if that doesn't say square ball football, I am not sure what else it could have been. In addition, the inverted wingers, especially Knockaert, slowed us down. Lastly, we had 10 shots and only 4 on target. How we managed that with a pretty lackluster creative spark is beyond me.

I know some have criticized having just 3 in the back.  I happen to like it and think it can still work for FFC and provide more offense up front.  But, it has to be the "right" back 3.  And as you point out, midfielders need to also contribute.  The most frustrating thing is all the possession and so few shots.  First half close to 80% possession and ZERO shots!  How does/can that happen? 

toshes mate

There was a lovely purple patch n 2017 when Jokanovic's possession football could be observed in all its glory.  It wasn't about possessing the football to stop the opponent scoring and bore everybody rigid by putting twenty odd passes together to move a few yards up the pitch. It was about telling the opportunity that when we had the football we would make their lives miserable and no matter how many passes it took a goal scoring opportunity will occur and we will score from many such opportunities.  In 2019 that has been parodied by Parker and not in a humorous way.  Opponent's will now look at a video and say let them have the ball because sooner or later they'll spill possession after a while without threatening us and you can then breakaway and score against their depressed defence. 

What is really missing from this team is the composure and patience to circulate the football in as many different areas of the pitch are necessary until an opening occurs.  What works most effectively for Parker's team is possession in our half because the opponent is allowing it but once you cross the half way line everything becomes too rushed and is not being built around a single play maker who is directing and choreographing movement with the single intention of creating a clear and dangerous chance to score.  The play maker can also then be used as a decoy when more than one player is sent to mark them and someone else can make things happen in the spaces created.   The strategy of the team at the moment is nowhere near the clarity of Jokanovic's set up was.