watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Luton

Started by SP, October 19, 2019, 11:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim©

I'm not 100% that it was but will agree to disagree!

PaulJ123

If I choose collect from ticket office for the Luton game when booking online, will I be able to pick these up at say 7.30pm on Wednesday just before ko?

filham

Well I have read and digested all of the above and still say we should be looking for at least a 3-0 win at the Cottage against Luton.
I will add that if we are not expecting a 3-0 win we have no reason to even think of promotion.

FFC1987

I'll take a scrappy 1 nil win to be honest at this point. Wins a win. No points for looking good.

filham

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 21, 2019, 04:15:00 PM
I'll take a scrappy 1 nil win to be honest at this point. Wins a win. No points for looking good.
I am down right now as I see any promotion hopes fast disappearing, we need a win and a performance to give us top six credibility.

Mince n Tatties

We'll bounce back...5-0..Mitro hat-trick.

Woolly Mammoth

It's all on the night, no more no less.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Whitestone

A win and a good performance is all I'm hoping for. Not too much to ask is it ? We need a confidence boost to take some momentum to Middlesborough on Saturday.

SP

Without looking it up, can anyone recall the last time we played the Hatters at home, I can't?

I recall an awful night losing 0-4 at home I think, probably in the 70s.

FFC1987

And if we win, i'll be right on here celebrating. But if we lose/draw, i'll be complaining. Just a heads up for consistency.

Sgt Fulham

For every Luton at home we lose we must make up for by a win at Leeds away for example, if we want promotion. Let's make it easy for ourselves.

70sPimlico

Quote from: SP on October 21, 2019, 08:28:09 PM
Without looking it up, can anyone recall the last time we played the Hatters at home, I can't?

can't remember the home game but really vivid on the away game on our way up about 97/98. The Horse terrorising them. 4-0 or 4-1. Got in a ruckus outside. Some angry fat Hatter throwing crazy windmill punches at us. Pretty sure he regrets that

Fulham 442

Quote from: filham on October 21, 2019, 07:26:55 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 21, 2019, 04:15:00 PM
I am down right now as I see any promotion hopes fast disappearing, we need a win and a performance to give us top six credibility.
A win works for me, no matter how we get it! Not feeling very positive after Saturday though....

SP

Quote from: 70sPimlico on October 21, 2019, 09:10:31 PM
Quote from: SP on October 21, 2019, 08:28:09 PM

can't remember the home game but really vivid on the away game on our way up about 97/98. The Horse terrorising them. 4-0 or 4-1. Got in a ruckus outside. Some angry fat Hatter throwing crazy windmill punches at us. Pretty sure he regrets that

Always kicked off at Luton for some reason.  I recall Moods scoring a few on one memorable occasion, right in front of the travelling FFC fans.

filham

I remember cycling to Luton for a critical game late in our 1949 promotion race, winning  and then spending an old penny to buy the classified Evening News at Marble Arch on the way home to read the match report and  see us in the promotion spot. Those were the days.

The Rock

One thing is for sure, we'll have no less than 70% possession. It's the other 30% that might be a concern for some as we refuse to sign enough able and proper defenders year after year.

SP

Quote from: filham on October 21, 2019, 09:53:30 PM
I remember cycling to Luton for a critical game late in our 1949 promotion race, winning  and then spending an old penny to buy the classified Evening News at Marble Arch on the way home to read the match report and  see us in the promotion spot. Those were the days.

Brilliant, how times have changed. They should make a movie about this trip!

WindyCity

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 21, 2019, 09:53:14 AM
Quote from: Jim© on October 21, 2019, 09:28:34 AM
Quote from: filham on October 20, 2019, 10:23:40 PM

With our squad and playing at the Cottage we should be looking for at least a 3-0 win.

I'd love to know how people pick random scores out of the air for a "we should win this by" statement of non fact.
I think we're amongst the most entitled fans in the country, which is strange given our history.

I'll entertain this line of argument. It's not a matter of 'entitlement', it's a matter of expectation. The expectation for this team is top 2. That's not an entitlement that we should finish top 2, that's the expectation and objective. When people, like myself, see the fixture list, you generally put them into 3 brackets, top 6, mid table, bottom 6 (or variants of that number), if you wish to be a top team, it's usually prudent to beat the bottom 6, pick up more wins than draws/losses (and the home win if possible) against mid table and draw/lose to top 6 based on home/away leg. So when you see Stoke, Forest, Barnsley, Cardiff, Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton, sometimes you 'expect' better because you have to roll with the probability that points from the generally in form top 6 teams is unlikely. We've encountered some of these already, form teams punching above where you'd think they would be and have come up short so in the long term, you have to wonder where the points will be coming from to make up the gaps in the pursuit for top 2.

I guess the next part you'd like to point at is, why is the expectation top 2. Well, simply put, with the biggest wage bill, most expensive squad in terms of market value and a lot of players who walk into most teams in this division, its a no brainer that this team should be not only top 2 but challenging for winning the league. You may call that entitlement still, but if the objective is this from the chairmen based on investment, I don't think its unreasonable for the fans to think so too.

Opposition need to be respected, sure. But this squad shouldn't be worried by some of the fixtures we've already failed in and they shouldn't be beaten or points taken away from, by the likes of Luton with all due respect to them. I don't think one player from them gets into this team so thats what I'm basing it on.

0001.jpeg

:plus one:

Excellent summary and discussion of 'expectation' v 'entitlement'.

WindyCity

After reading this thread, I do agree with many here that consider the Luton game as 'critical' in terms of direction this team is headed AND Parkers future with it.  If we see a poor outing, I doubt Parker is sacked right away, with games coming upon us quickly.  But, I could see the pink slip maybe a couple weeks down the road giving ownership a chance to consider the next coach. 

I really hope it doesn't come to that, but with the squad we have, and the talent and money associated with it, FFC should be doing much much better, I think most here would agree.