1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Wingers  (Read 431 times)

Online Statto

• Gentleman Jim
Wingers
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »
Who should play one the wing?

Cavaliero is right-footed and was at his most successful for Wolves on the right wing.
Knockaert has also played on the right historically but as an inverted winger, coming in side and shooting rather than getting down the line like an old school winger.
Reid has generally played down the middle. According to Transfermarkt, he's left-footed.

So far this season we've usually played with inverted wingers - Cavaliero (L) and Knockaert (R). Whilst Cavaleiro has had a little (but still not much) success cutting inside, Knockaert seems to have around 50 shots per game without testing their keeper. IMO the reason we lack penetration is because our wingers no longer try to get down to the line and put low crosses in like Ayite, Aluko and Fredericks used to. Instead they punt in a long, hopeful cross or cut inside and try a long, hopeful shot.   

It seems plain to me we need to get back to playing wingers who actually want to run down the line. Cavaleiro should be in his preferred position on the right. I'm not sure Knockaert can play like that type of winger at all, and I'm sceptical about his future at Fulham to be honest. In any case in the short term I'd give Reid an opportunity on the left.

Offline filham

• Mr Fayed
Re: Wingers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »
Early on Knock and Cav looked good by cutting inside and scoring from the edge of the box, they seem incapable of passing defenders on the outside and are best employed as inside out wingers. So far Reid has not lived up to expectations and has yet to score for us. Perhaps it is time to give Kamara 45 minutes on the pitch.

None of these players are proving as effective as Fredericks was when operating as an overlapping full back, he was capable of beating full backs with pace, making the dead ball line and pulling back dangerous balls into the box.

Offline Twig

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
Who should play one the wing?

Cavaliero is right-footed and was at his most successful for Wolves on the right wing.
Knockaert has also played on the right historically but as an inverted winger, coming in side and shooting rather than getting down the line like an old school winger.
Reid has generally played down the middle. According to Transfermarkt, he's left-footed.

So far this season we've usually played with inverted wingers - Cavaliero (L) and Knockaert (R). Whilst Cavaleiro has had a little (but still not much) success cutting inside, Knockaert seems to have around 50 shots per game without testing their keeper. IMO the reason we lack penetration is because our wingers no longer try to get down to the line and put low crosses in like Ayite, Aluko and Fredericks used to. Instead they punt in a long, hopeful cross or cut inside and try a long, hopeful shot.   

It seems plain to me we need to get back to playing wingers who actually want to run down the line. Cavaleiro should be in his preferred position on the right. I'm not sure Knockaert can play like that type of winger at all, and I'm sceptical about his future at Fulham to be honest. In any case in the short term I'd give Reid an opportunity on the left.

Hear, hear to this.

Offline Twig

• Gentleman Jim
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 05:19:54 PM »
Early on Knock and Cav looked good by cutting inside and scoring from the edge of the box, they seem incapable of passing defenders on the outside and are best employed as inside out wingers. So far Reid has not lived up to expectations and has yet to score for us. Perhaps it is time to give Kamara 45 minutes on the pitch.

None of these players are proving as effective as Fredericks was when operating as an overlapping full back, he was capable of beating full backs with pace, making the dead ball line and pulling back dangerous balls into the box.

On this occasion Knock and Cav were a little deeper due to the system and had more defensive duties. I think that contributed to their reduced success in beating the last defender.  I still think they are our best wide players but as Statto says I would not play them inverted and I would revert to a system that allows 5hem both to get forward.

Offline toshes mate

• cebu
  • Vitam Impendere Vero
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
I've always been a believer in using the flanks for numerous purposes but I do believe the key is the partnership as in full back and wide midfield.  When it works well it creates spaces between opponents and opens up angles for killer passes or good shooting opportunities.  I am not sure that any of the partnerships I have seen this season have worked and I believe that is because of the fear of the counter attack which are largely caused by lack of cover when too many players get forward at the same time.  Not sure that flaw is down to Cavaleiro and Knockaert or down to how poorly defence and midfield cover instead of looking for glory in the attacking half.  And so I'd stick with the status quo and make it work via partnerships rather than tamper with it and risk finding yet another failed solution.  However, I would like to see Reid on the left wing with either Cavaleiro or Knockaert on the right with a full back with whom they both relate with well (something you learn on the training pitch).   

Offline St Eve

• The Bard/Corked Hat
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 05:37:59 PM »
If only Barrett and Conway was an option

Offline The Rational Fan

• Jimmy Hill
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »
I think we made a mistake selling Aytie an excellent winger against lower championship teams. Parker made too many changes this year and it will take too long before we are cohesive and have chemistry.

Offline HV71

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »
Spot on Statto - there was one incident on Saturday where Cav went down the right and powered past their defender to the bye line and cut it back - very dangerous but sadly no one , on this occasion was there.
Defenders invariably find it difficult to set themselves correctly when the ball is pulled back. As you point out we were far more effective when we had Aluko and Fred overlapping.

Offline LittleErn

• tjl
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 03:05:47 PM »
Kebano?