more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker's irritating post match excuse

Started by The Old Count, October 20, 2019, 08:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john dempsey

Quote from: Andy S on October 21, 2019, 10:10:11 AM
Players had to go to balance the books. The new players although supposedly good enough for this league have not all gelled yet. It will happen I don't know when. If there was a magic formula I'm sure we would have gone for it. There isn't.
if the gel has not set yet must be something wrong with the ingredients or the cook.

toshes mate

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 21, 2019, 10:01:58 AM
We're 12 games in now. We can't be complaining about gelling time. I don't mind the quote upon MJG's posting the full quote as, at the least, hes factually right, but that's not a good excuse for some of the results. I think if you went to any championship manager in this division, or out of work manager, which squad you'd like to manage in the championship, i'd be surprised if it wasn't unanimous if it wasn't our squad. Theres no denying, we're not where we should be in terms of table, points or quality on the pitch, it needs to change and time is against Parker at the moment as I think hes only a few games from blowing it. 
Ranieri claimed the same for our squad last season and look where that got him.  Managers and coaches claim all sorts of magical ability but very, very few of them deliver their promises.  My question about the squad is whether or not another manager would have more success with this team and I would point to the 'individuals' in the squad who I would not regard as 'team' players as a guide to where the problems lie.  Parker has been naive but he is learning on the job and quite a long run in should have been expected given the turnaround of players FFC has engaged in.  I am not denying some of the incoming players are good players but it is a team sport and good team players are often a different breed altogether.  Who is the influence SP can turn to when his ideas run out?

FFC1987

I don't think Parker going is a good idea unless we bring Slav back (or someone of the same ilk). Reasoning is, Parker has clearly worked on getting us to play a certain way, I wanted Hughton before Parker but I think he was sacked like a week after we signed Parker and both have very different styles of play. Changing now would just create further time delays in performances as you have to give a manager time to adjust etc. Now, Slav (or soemone similar) for instance has a almost identical style of play and would seemingly get straight into it, business as  usual but potentially with more experience.

I personally don't think Slav will ever be considered again and I don't think anyone in the market available, would do what we're doing in terms of style. I do however think, losing to Luton might be too much for the owners and as much as I don't think its the best option, I could understand a dismissal at that point.

Statto

Quote from: Riversider on October 21, 2019, 09:47:35 AM
Queens Park Rangers have brought 14 new players, over double our amount, and yet Mark Warburton has got them to gel from virtually day one,

I actually had a look at the QPR team yesterday. By my calculations they had 4 new signings in the starting XI on Saturday, vs 5 in our XI. So perhaps they made a lot of new signings but most of them must have been squad players.

Russianrob

Quality managers are extemely rare,they are born and not made ,Parker is not one of these give him a hundred million pounds and he would still pick a bad team and be below average tactically

Sting of the North

Quote from: Russianrob on October 21, 2019, 11:37:21 AM
Quality managers are extemely rare,they are born and not made ,Parker is not one of these give him a hundred million pounds and he would still pick a bad team and be below average tactically

I believe that no one is born for anything, to me that is frankly just absurd. Of course people have different talents, but that is just a small part of the puzzle. In my opinion.

Woolly Mammoth

You do not become a good manager by being born, you have to earn it through hard work and experience.
Brian Clough was not born, they had to drill for him, he was that good. He did not pick up his talent and man Management and motivational skills laying in a cot. He picked them up at the sharp end, in the field, to add to his Charisma and leadership qualities, he picked up his management and coaching skills by working with others. He was a one off that we may never see the likes of again sadly.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Bobby Robson was rubbish at Fulham and good for Ipswich/England/Barcelona. He either had two births (one a rubbish manager and another one a good manager) or he learnt something about managing a football team from 1967 and 1990.

And, if managers were born why the lack of good cricket managers from Portugal, Spain, France, Brazil, USA, China and Scotland. Personally, I think Parker should be assistant manager learning his trade.

Mince n Tatties

Its the game nowadays,completely changed in the way managers are looked at.
Its all about instant success now and no patience,a manager goes at some club nearly every week now.
At this stage last season Preston were one win in eleven,bottom and fans unsettled.
The board stuck by Neil,they charged up league after Xmas and just missed out on play offs.
This season they are sitting 4th at moment.
Stoke who have just dunted us could have got rid of Jones,but the owners and fans were never really on his back as they believed in what he was trying to put together,so a couple of clubs have showed that patience sometimes works.
I believe it will happen with Scotty.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 22, 2019, 08:13:25 AM
Its all about instant success now and no patience,a manager goes at some club nearly every week now.
At this stage last season Preston were one win in eleven,bottom and fans unsettled.
The board stuck by Neil,they charged up league after Xmas and just missed out on play offs.
Stoke who have just dunted us could have got rid of Jones,but the owners and fans were never really on his back as they believed in what he was trying to put together,so a couple of clubs have showed that patience sometimes works.

If a person trust statistics and I do, then statistics show most promoted managers start the season with at least a full season as manager of the club in the Premier League or Championship. If Parker was the right selection, then we should stick with him, cause he will have the experience next year to get promoted.

If FFC never should have chosen Parker, we should keep him until our "executive management" works out "how to choose managers" as there is no point sacking a manager at a club clueless about choosing managers (which we seem to be).

Forever Fulham

I thought it was a mistake to give the job to Scotty P.  I didn't think he was ready for it.  Just being a likeable player doesn't give you the qualities you need to be a good manager.  Who the heck tinkers with sudden changes to the formation of the back line on a team that is already struggling to keep out goals?  Four in the back works better for us with the players we have.  They aren't speed merchants.  And the mids don't all get back like they should in transition, so... 

It's a bit early for Parker to be bringing out the excuses.  Once your manager starts making excuses, personal responsibility of players and the training staff goes out the window.  Is he making changes on the fly when he sees a formation isn't effective, isn't working as hoped for?  Not that I could see.  How many instances of desperate scrambling in the back and at goal does it take a good manager to see to make changes to the formation?  Is he incapable of in-game management?   If players are coming back from international duty for country and are tired, don't play them.  That's part of the attention to detail you demand of a good manager.  If  a particular player routinely fails to track back, transition, and play defense, and you are getting burned for it, a good manager acts on that. 

The Rational Fan

Scott Parker is telling us what I pointed out on this forum and he should have known.

Most teams that go up, down and back up don't use Parchaute money to buy a new team (obviously West Ham and Newscastle being expections).

WBA showed the way to get promoted after relegation and the rule is "avoid changing the squad" even if you get 26 points and come 19th like WBA in 2002-3.

WBA History of getting Relegated and Promoted
1999–2000 Div 1. 49 points  21st (like FFC 15/16)
2000–01   Div 1. 74 points 6th (like FFC 16/17)
2001–02   Div 1. 89 points 2nd (like FFC 17/18)
2002–03   Prem. 26 points 19th (like FFC 18/19)
2003–04   Div 1. 86 points 2nd
2004–05   Prem. 34 points 17th
2005–06   Prem. 30 points 19th
2006–07   Chmp. 76 points 4th
2007–08   Chmp. 81 points 1st
2008–09   Prem. 32 points 20th
2009–10   Chmp. 91 points 2nd
2010–11   Prem. 47 points 11th
2011–12   Prem. 47 points 10th   

Scott Parker was playing all those years. In 2003-4 WBA kept their squad that got 26 points and got 86 points. They did it again in 2006-7 getting 76 points and again in 2009-10 getting 91 points. That's about successful algorithm you will ever get in football.

Importantly, other teams like Sunderland and other leagues have shown similar trends. It seems better to "stick with the same team and hope they play better" than "get a team of new faces and hope they gel". Next season, I expect Norwich will follow this method and succeed.

Parker should have known changing the squad would hurt the first half of the season. TK should have bought players in the winter transfer window that would have come down to the Championship. And Jokavoic should have signed a long contract, and promised if he gets us relegated then he gets us promoted again.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: MJG on October 21, 2019, 05:52:46 AM
"i've said it many a time, I've said it to the players, this is a young squad. When I say young I don't mean in age, I mean it's young in terms of when it got put together"

Is the full quote which gives it a different meaning to the one inferred to in the op.

Agree with you.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes I agree with all you say.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Far too much knee jerk reaction on here I am afraid to say. Of course I understand the concerns, but if we are in a frying pan, let's not jump out of it into the fire.
Currently we are 3 points behind 5th place with a game in hand. This game in hand tonight is in many ways crucial. At the start of the season we would have looked at the fixture and had every confidence we have the ability to take all three points, and we still do, but expectations have natural diminished a little which is no bad thing. It may help the team and SP, it takes a bit of pressure off, and if I was him I would be currently turning over in bed working out the best way to beat Luton Town.
Of course anything other than a win will attract his critics for their weekly ritual of combusting and bursting into flames.
All in all though the average fan will peer at the League Table and feel that a win tonight will place us within 3 points of the leaders, and will be hoping for a more positive start from the front foot, and a faster tempo in build ups, but just as importantly we have to get the basics right and each player has to show more urgency than the last match, with a more improved application, and we should work harder off the ball in my opinion.
Is one of our problems attitude I ask myself.
Look what happened with Barnsley last night, fought to the last man, and deserved to win as well, they also appear to have a useful striker who scored a brace last night, and showed that given the opportunity, he will score goals at this level against good opponents like West Bromwich Albion on their own patch.
Luton will not roll over and let us tickle their tummy, but with the right commitment, we have the armoury to put their flame out early in the game, and therefore, not giving them hope when there isn't any.
Goals change games and it's time we scored a couple early on to take command and build on it.

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

0001.jpeg
:plus one:

RaySmith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 23, 2019, 04:34:34 AM
Far too much knee jerk reaction on here I am afraid to say. Of course I understand the concerns, but if we are in a frying pan, let's not jump out of it into the fire.
Currently we are 3 points behind 5th place with a game in hand. This game in hand tonight is in many ways crucial. At the start of the season we would have looked at the fixture and had every confidence we have the ability to take all three points, and we still do, but expectations have natural diminished a little which is no bad thing. It may help the team and SP, it takes a bit of pressure off, and if I was him I would be currently turning over in bed working out the best way to beat Luton Town.
Of course anything other than a win will attract his critics for their weekly ritual of combusting and bursting into flames.
All in all though the average fan will peer at the League Table and feel that a win tonight will place us within 3 points of the leaders, and will be hoping for a more positive start from the front foot, and a faster tempo in build ups, but just as importantly we have to get the basics right and each player has to show more urgency than the last match, with a more improved application, and we should work harder off the ball in my opinion.
Look what happened with Barnsley last night, fought to the last man, and deserved to win as well, they also appear to have a useful striker who scored a brace last night, and showed that given the opportunity, he will score goals at this level against good opponents like West Bromwich Albion on their own patch.
Luton will not roll over and let us tickle their tummy, but with the right commitment, we have the armoury to put their flame out early in the game, and therefore, not giving them hope when there isn't any.
Goals change games and it's time we scored a couple early on to take command and build on it.
0001.jpeg

Forever Fulham

Quote from: RaySmith on October 23, 2019, 06:29:50 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on October 23, 2019, 04:34:34 AM
0001.jpeg

Well, I hope you're right.  We'll see.

Fulham1959

What an irritating excuse for a topic.  Moaning for moaning's sake.

The Old Count

Quote from: Fulham1959 on October 23, 2019, 09:47:04 PM
What an irritating excuse for a topic.  Moaning for moaning's sake.

And you're on here moaning about people moaning.