watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Transfer Dealings

Started by Benny, October 20, 2019, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny

I know we brought in new quality players in the transfer window but why does everyone think we have bought them? I keep seeing comments that with the money we've spent we should be this or that........but they are all loans

Agreed we should be doing better but surely we should get credit for not spending much and bringing in the quality we have all on loans?

The Rational Fan

The way I see things is we bought a bunch of players in "the summer of 2018" that were good players that took about 30 games to adjust to english football and start playing well together (beating Everton, Bournmouth and Cardiff with clean sheets). If kept more of them, then we would have done better against Barnsley, Forest, Cardiff, Wednesday, Charlton and Stoke. .

The new players of 2019 are also good and should take less time to adjust due to english experience, but they not yet integrated. For me loaning our Anguissa was a huge mistake, and I don't care if he wants to play for us, because he signed a five year contract

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Benny on October 20, 2019, 09:08:52 PM
I know we brought in new quality players in the transfer window but why does everyone think we have bought them? I keep seeing comments that with the money we've spent we should be this or that........but they are all loans

Agreed we should be doing better but surely we should get credit for not spending much and bringing in the quality we have all on loans?

Alas like other ongoing topics things get a little bogged down with side issues, add ons and trivia. This pre season was a remarkable turn around from the shambles of last. The players coming in were for the most part known and experienced and formed part of a rebuilding plan with options to buy. Had we spent the 100 million plus and we were not top four I might understand some of the angst about our position but the rebuild is massive on the pitch, back stage and below stairs.

Statto

I'm guessing the loan fees for Knockaert, Cavaleiro, Arter and Reed were about £10m total. I've a feeling Reid's deal is more like a deferred permanent transfer than a loan, and the fee £10m. Presumably we're also paying £7-8m for Hector. That may well mean we still have the highest gross spend in the division, even if most of our signings leave for nothing at the end of the season. In any case I think we have the highest wage bill. 

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Statto on October 20, 2019, 09:43:33 PM
I'm guessing the loan fees for Knockaert, Cavaleiro, Arter and Reed were about £10m total. I've a feeling Reid's deal is more like a deferred permanent transfer than a loan, and the fee £10m. Presumably we're also paying £7-8m for Hector. That may well mean we still have the highest gross spend in the division, even if most of our signings leave for nothing at the end of the season. In any case I think we have the highest wage bill.

Well that mullers my thoughts that we had achieved fiscal prudence although if Hector hits the ground running £7-8 million is a far better deal than some of those from last season.

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 20, 2019, 09:54:40 PM

Well that mullers my thoughts that we had achieved fiscal prudence although if Hector hits the ground running £7-8 million is a far better deal than some of those from last season.

Well given we sold Sessegnon for £25m and probably got a few million in loan fees for Anguissa and Seri, our net transfer spend may still be zero. So it was still arguably prudent business. And FWIW I still feel positive about all our signings and think we took the right approach by using option-to-buy structures. The only criticism I have is that IMO we'd be in the top 2 right now if we'd got the Hector deal over the line in August.

filham

At this moment we are in a mid table position well below what was expected, the new players still have a lot to do to justify their fees and wages.
Lets wait until Christmas to see where we are in the table and then make a judgement on whether or not we did well in the summer window.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on October 20, 2019, 10:02:03 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 20, 2019, 09:54:40 PM

Well given we sold Sessegnon for £25m and probably got a few million in loan fees for Anguissa and Seri, our net transfer spend may still be zero. So it was still arguably prudent business. And FWIW I still feel positive about all our signings and think we took the right approach by using option-to-buy structures. The only criticism I have is that IMO we'd be in the top 2 right now if we'd got the Hector deal over the line in August.

Ream has cost us four goals this season (2x Forest and 2x Stoke) and we would have four more points without those mistakes (i.e. equally 2nd), but Hector would have surely made one mistake that would have cost us a point and hence we wouldn't be second.

The money saved from not buying Hector in the first half of the season, gives us a £2.5m more to spend in the second half of the season, which maybe be very useful as we are likely going down the playoff route anyway. I think, we will find a real need for another reinforcement somewhere by the winter.

Jim©

What about the flick on that led to their first? What about Gregory not being able to square the ball on Saturday, what about Bett's not bringing him down? Whilst Ream (IMO) shouldn't have played in a back 3 after jetting home, I do think it's very harsh to put those two down to him.

Didn't Sess play the Forest forward in for their 2nd? And their first was an absolute peach, no blame on one person there.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Jim© on October 21, 2019, 01:10:26 PM
What about the flick on that led to their first? What about Gregory not being able to square the ball on Saturday, what about Bett's not bringing him down? Whilst Ream (IMO) shouldn't have played in a back 3 after jetting home, I do think it's very harsh to put those two down to him.

Didn't Sess play the Forest forward in for their 2nd? And their first was an absolute peach, no blame on one person there.

You mention the goal Forest scored. It was indeed a good goal as was the Charlton second, as was their keepers performance, as was the 'resolve' of the Stoke players on Saturday and if I remember correctly the bit of good fortune The Baggies had. Just a few off the top of my head examples of the season thus far. The current angst about not being top four seems to forget that other teams have had good performances, have scored some good goals and had huge amounts of luck.......... as have we. The league position would be scarier if it were not for the fact that with a multitude of combinations over two or three games any team from ten could be top about now.

Cue relegation battle thread..............

FFC1987

Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 21, 2019, 04:16:02 PM

You mention the goal Forest scored. It was indeed a good goal as was the Charlton second, as was their keepers performance, as was the 'resolve' of the Stoke players on Saturday and if I remember correctly the bit of good fortune The Baggies had. Just a few off the top of my head examples of the season thus far. The current angst about not being top four seems to forget that other teams have had good performances, have scored some good goals and had huge amounts of luck.......... as have we. The league position would be scarier if it were not for the fact that with a multitude of combinations over two or three games any team from ten could be top about now.

Don't belittle the debate by pulling that card out. We're 10th, we haven't bested other teams and we deserve to be in the table where we are much like the teams above us, with, in my opinion, inferior squads, deserve to be where they are. The onus is on us to best opposition, not hope they don't put in good performances. You stop them playing and work around game plans much like what teams have done to us and got points. Its not alarmist or over the top to suggest we should of done better against teams we've dropped points to.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 21, 2019, 04:19:25 PM
Quote from: ScalleysDad on October 21, 2019, 04:16:02 PM

Don't belittle the debate by pulling that card out. We're 10th, we haven't bested other teams and we deserve to be in the table where we are much like the teams above us, with, in my opinion, inferior squads, deserve to be where they are. The onus is on us to best opposition, not hope they don't put in good performances. You stop them playing and work around game plans much like what teams have done to us and got points. Its not alarmist or over the top to suggest we should of done better against teams we've dropped points to.

"Belittle". Excuse me
Tell you what. I'll take my eyes out with a spoon and lock myself under the stairs. Whilst there I will recall 'besting' Millwall, Reading away and Wigan etc.

FFC1987