watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have we ever introduced ourselves?

Started by Airfix, November 05, 2010, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Hi, I'm Nick. First taken to the Cottage by my dad in 1962 - we beat Arsenal 5-2, so that was it. I was living in Wimbledon by then, but spent my first seven years in Fulham, starting school at Peterborough Primary.
Since then, I've lived all over the place, which is a pretty good description of where I've seen Fulham. Riversider season ticket-holder in the late 80s and a Hammersmith End STH now... with two of my brothers, two nephews and assorted friends. My other two brothers are fans too. My daughters are occasional match-goers: the elder one came to Hamburg with us, and was there for THAT Carlisle game, while the younger one (now 17) made her debut at Hartlepool away in a baby-carrier on my front.
To use a cliche, it's been a rollercoaster 48 years... let's hope there are no more sickening downhill bits up ahead.

finnster01

Quote from: supersub on December 15, 2010, 01:19:32 PM
Hi, I'm Nick. First taken to the Cottage by my dad in 1962 - we beat Arsenal 5-2, so that was it. I was living in Wimbledon by then, but spent my first seven years in Fulham, starting school at Peterborough Primary.
Since then, I've lived all over the place, which is a pretty good description of where I've seen Fulham. Riversider season ticket-holder in the late 80s and a Hammersmith End STH now... with two of my brothers, two nephews and assorted friends. My other two brothers are fans too. My daughters are occasional match-goers: the elder one came to Hamburg with us, and was there for THAT Carlisle game, while the younger one (now 17) made her debut at Hartlepool away in a baby-carrier on my front.
To use a cliche, it's been a rollercoaster 48 years... let's hope there are no more sickening downhill bits up ahead.
Good man Mr Supersub,
Welcome onboard and thanks for setting the standards and raising a family with the proper values. :clap_hands:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Wimbledon_White

Hello.
Ben here. 28 (tomorrow) from Wimbledon.
Frustrated with the juvenile members of Cottage Corner so I thought I would come here.
A bit of a Johnny-Come-Lately. Moved to London in November 2008 and bought my first season ticket for 09/10 (what a first season to support FFC) and again for this season. From the age of 10 - 17 I was a STH at Northampton Town Football Club before things like University got in the way. I ALWAYS used to come to the Fulham away games with NTFC and loved "that little stadium by the river". So when I moved to London at 26 I knew where I wanted to watch football again. Since then, I have become quite obsessed (according to my gf) and managed to get to several away games including three in Europe last season.
I like to be optimistic. I dislike the OTT loving of Dempsey and the OTT dislike of Etuhu and Murphy. I like to think I am a realist also.
All in all, I think Mark Hughes will be fantastic for the club. Given the time he needs he will make us play some very attacking and interesting football. Midtable fighting for Europe next season I believe. Decent cup runs etc.
Like I said...I am an optimist.

MJG

Hi I'm Michael and have been posting regularly now for over a month a thought it was time to properly introduce myself.

I have posted on TIFF for a number of years firstly as "Front row H Block" but having moved seats a number of time changed it to "MJG" and use it on "cottage corner"(or the kids playground as I like to think of it).

In my mid forties and first went to cottage in 1969 and fell asleep watching a 0-0 draw(it had to get better)Was taken occasionally over the years but never really showed any interest until September 1978 when I saw us beat Stoke 2-0 with Ray Evans and Chris Guthrie new hero's of mine. A week late 5-3 against Preston and I was hooked. Probably missed maybe 15-20 home games since then and been a ST holder for pretty much the last 20 years.

At one stage in the darkest days of the late 80's early 90's I found myself on the supporter's club committee and then representing the fans at meetings with Jimmy Hill & the Board. It was my proudest and hardest time to be a Fulham supporter. When I look back and think of the possible scenarios we were looking at during the time "going out of business full stop" to "10K all seated stadium in Tolworth (Where I live now as it happens)" I treasure being where we are now with last season and Hamburg payback time for the suffering we have had to endure over the years.

I think I'm realistic when writing about the club/managers/players and while I know my views will differ from other as long as it can be discussed sensibly I have no problems with most people. In the end we all support this club and for me on a personal level the club has been the one constant in my life and I love it to bits.

McBridefan1

Jesus Christ on a crisp, it's like an AA meeting in here... hi I'm Dave and I'm a Fulham fan. Hi Daaaave.

McBridefan1

Quote from: Wimbledon_White on January 03, 2011, 06:17:40 PM
Hello.
Ben here. 28 (tomorrow) from Wimbledon.
Frustrated with the juvenile members of Cottage Corner so I thought I would come here.
A bit of a Johnny-Come-Lately. Moved to London in November 2008 and bought my first season ticket for 09/10 (what a first season to support FFC) and again for this season. From the age of 10 - 17 I was a STH at Northampton Town Football Club before things like University got in the way. I ALWAYS used to come to the Fulham away games with NTFC and loved "that little stadium by the river". So when I moved to London at 26 I knew where I wanted to watch football again. Since then, I have become quite obsessed (according to my gf) and managed to get to several away games including three in Europe last season.
I like to be optimistic. I dislike the OTT loving of Dempsey and the OTT dislike of Etuhu and Murphy. I like to think I am a realist also.
All in all, I think Mark Hughes will be fantastic for the club. Given the time he needs he will make us play some very attacking and interesting football. Midtable fighting for Europe next season I believe. Decent cup runs etc.
Like I said...I am an optimist.

Weird I dislike the OTT dislike of Dempsey and the OTT love of any other foreign born player willing to come to the Cottage. But that's just me and I'll agree to disagree.

McBridefan1

admittedly I don't know the actual barometer of the cottage I'm only going by the Offal, and how for years I've heard nothing but negative shlte about we yanks... yes upon our shoulders we have a chip and you lot have the dip that's what makes us a perfect fit.   :047: by the way freddie I fell hard yesterday  :beer: thanks to this damned snowstorm ... right back on today though. :54:

finnster01

Quote from: McBridefan1 on January 13, 2011, 11:08:09 PM
admittedly I don't know the actual barometer of the cottage I'm only going by the Offal, and how for years I've heard nothing but negative shlte about we yanks... yes upon our shoulders we have a chip and you lot have the dip that's what makes us a perfect fit.   :047: by the way freddie I fell hard yesterday  :beer: thanks to this damned snowstorm ... right back on today though. :54:
For the record, the Yanks have their Sri Lankers (just like us) , but I have by and large been extremely well welcomed after I made the transition across the pond, and I find most of them top shelf so lets stop slagging off yanks please, we are not exactly a nation of Gandhi's ourselves. Although speaking of Gandhi, I do miss the good rubies.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Gozorich

I have just posted this on the Exiles so thought I might as well put it on here:

My first match at Craven Cottage was in 1962. I believe it was Stanley Mathews' last one in London. I had tried all the grounds in West London since arriving from Scotland in 1961 at the age of nineteen but the moment I walked into the Cottage I knew I was home. The stadium was very similar to my hometown team, Motherwell. That I haven't topped myself in all those years is remarkable; supporting the 'Well and Fulham together for about 50 years is a sign of an unstable and definitely mad character.

I lived in South London and Surrey for most of that time and have two sons and a daughter who all support Fulham. The oldest did some youth coaching for Fulham and is a STH as were the others till they went to university and moved on. I had a season ticket in the Riverside right on the 18 yard line at the Putney end. I have seen the greats from the Maestro onwards and was lucky enough to get to know Bobby Robson. My Scottish girlfriend at the time thought we had a Scottish goalkeeper called MacEdo.

I have been contributing on and off to Fulham forums under a different guise since Paul Thorpe started Tfi.

Like lots of others I have had many personal ups and downs in my life but at least on a Saturday and occasional Tuesday at the Cottage I could forget my problems for a few hours. Four years ago I retired to Gozo but like the madman that I am I kept my season ticket for a year; I just couldn't bring myself to give it up! I get to 2 or 3 games a year now but I see every Fulham match home and away thanks to the genius of Dreambox which is very popular in this football mad country. Most, of course, follow Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal. Thankfully there are few Chelsea here.

I have met three other Fulham fans who live on this rock and I try to convert everyone else. Even the local bar puts our matches on now. Our profile was increased immensely by the Europa run and I managed to get to the Roma game. However I still miss the stroll through Bishop's Park, the drink(s) in The Cottage (great shame it is now closed) and the comfort of being amongst fellow fans. Still, we move on...

COYW   

LBNo11

...Hi Gozorich, and welcome to FOF, and thanks for your history, always a fascinating read to see how people become fans and their memories, and an important archive.

There used to be a Fulham website from Malta, but it was hacked into and eventually taken down, but now if you type in Fulham FC Malta in facebook they have a dedicated page.

Look forward to more posts from you.

PS: I love the flag with The George Cross and Fulham badge...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Gozorich

Thanks LBNo11! I think the guy who ran the Maltese site was called John. I contacted him before I arrived here and he told me the site had been hi-jacked. Who would bother doing that?

Not subscribed to facebook but will have a look. :dft003:

Senior Supporter

I have been posting on here for a while under the initials of SS, but have now reverted to my handle of Senior Supporter. I originally hit on this because I first started posting on the old TFI messageboard at the same time I became a senior citizen (i.e. officially "old"). Because everybody replied to me as SS, and it took me less time to type just the initials, I went along with the change, but since this great messageboard doesn't require you to identify yourself when posting, it seemed sensible to rid myself of the Nazi connection! Thank you Admin for doing the magic and making the change.  :045:

terrinh73

Short and sweet...

Terri.  Born in 1973 in the fine southern city of Atlanta, GA.  I became a Fulham fan in 2006, so I know I'm late in the game.  Admittedly, I became interested in Fulham through a couple of recommendations from my friends (one a ManUre supporter and the other an Arse supporter...both told me to follow Fulham).  When I discovered my boyfriend Boca was on the roster, I was sold.  I also have a special place in my heart for McBride.  The Arse supporter (also my next door neighbor) got me a "Fulhamerica" shirt and proceeded to give me crap every time he would see me in my colors heading to the pub to watch a match.  I think he felt it would be a phase...something I would grow weary of once I realized I was the only person in white and black sitting at the bar with my cider.  However, I found others.

We have a tight little supporters group in Atlanta and have developed a bit of a reputation...mainly because people are shocked to see Fulham supporters in public and out so regularly.  On the Fulham USA forums, they referred to us as The Dirty Whites.  I have been to one game at The Cottage and will make the pilgrimage, game day or not, when I visit my friends in the UK. 

So there ya' have it...y'all see me in the chat room plenty :)!

"She's got to be obscene to be obheard"

Alanovich

Well, I'm sure my handle will be familiar to some people on here as I've been using TFi/Tiff for what seems like three lifetimes now.  Finally registered an account over here.

My story has been told a few times over the years, and it's not hugely fascinating.  Been supporting Fulham since 7th April 1978 (aged 8 at the time), 0-0 vs Southampton.  My Dad, who grew up at 18A Woodlawn Road in the 40s/50s (he went to Battersea Grammar, la di dah, before being moved to Windsor due to his brother's ill health caused by the smog of Fulham in those days – and he promptly got expelled from Windsor Grammar School, now known as Windsor Boys' School - my alma mater also), took me to that game and many others after, and I became lumbered with the curse.  His Mum, Grandma Lil, was a big Lilliewhites fan, but Grandad favoured the blue end of the borough, sadly.  Which was one of the reasons my Dad was soon keen on Fulham as it wound the old man up nicely.

My Dad's name was Alan, hence my handle – it's a Russian tradition that everyone has a middle name meaning "son of", prefixed with the father's name.  Being a student of Russian and East European stuff, it seemed a nice fit and a tribute to my late Dad as a way of keeping him involved with the Fulham community he so loved and missed when he got moved out to the sticks.

Nowadays I'm living in Reading, and this season has seen my son's (he's 6) first visits to the Cottage – the friendly thrashing of Werder Bremen and the 4-0 cup win over Spurs, so obviously he's a lucky charm.  He's fully kitted with shirts and flags now, and proudly stands up for Fulham at his school in Reading where, obviously, most of the children follow Man U or Walham Green Dog Track FC.

Other clubs I look out for?  The sadly defunct (but hopefully soon to rise again) Windsor & Eton, Ayr United, Partizan Belgrade, Moscow Lokomotiv, Sliema Wanderers of Malta, Notts County and, of course, West Allotment Celtic.
"I wear the trosuers in this house. And I wash them and I iron them."

- Dennis Thatcher

dishEJtheRock!

Hey everybody this would be my first post here. Found this site when I was searching for links to stream a game, thought I might give registering here a go.

I live in new york currently studying to be a pharmacist and fulham became my team when i decided to do a manager mode/season type thing in FIFA a few years ago and I dont plan on that changing.

the whole american thing is somewhat unfortunate but i know my football, been playing since i was 4 and now play for my college (we play in the juinor college division unfortunately no NCAA fun here)

anyway im glad i found this site since im the only fulham fan of all my friends

White Noise

Welcome to FoF guys.

dishEJtheRock! it is not a problem being an American on here. Please feel free to ask whatever questions you like and post as mcuh as you can. Hope you enjoy it on here.  :54:

TonyGilroy

I don't know where the notion of anti Americanism amongst the support comes from.

We *COULD* of course talk politics (but won't) and if you limit the discussion to FFC American players then no one has been more popular than Brian McBride in recent years with Clint Dempsey regarded by most as one of our better players.

Kasey Keller and Carlos Bocanegra were deservedly well liked. That Eddies Lewis and Johnson were not was wholly down to their lack of ability.

All of our American players have appeared to be decent, hard working guys.

dishEJtheRock!

Yeah i was thinking more along the lines that, being american, it means Im not able to go to any games in person.

I mean EJ is comedy gold at times, im all for anti americanism if it means we keep him off the pitch. I prefer wins, you see.

LBNo11

...welcome to FoF Alanovich, I know that you are a respected poster on the various name changes of the other independent site and hope you will share your views on here too.

dishEJtheRock, you too are welcome, irrespective of how long you have followed Fulham or where you are from. I think that there is far less discord amongst the USA members and the rest of the world on FoF.

Good to have you both 'on board'...

"We Are The Whites"
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Alanovich

"I wear the trosuers in this house. And I wash them and I iron them."

- Dennis Thatcher