more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Have we ever introduced ourselves?

Started by Airfix, November 05, 2010, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airfix

Quote from: Burt on November 06, 2010, 09:57:01 AM

I took my son to his first game when we played at Loftarse Rd (v. Cheltenham in the FA Cup, 1-0)

How strange.  That was the last game that my father and I attended together.  He died three weeks later.

HatterDon

Mr. Airfix, I agree with Mr. Fred --ALERT THE MEDIA -- this is a great thread, and thanks for starting it up.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

This is too good a thread to sit on Page 5, so BUMP!! :045:

Still plenty of you who could write a few sentences about yourselves. :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Shredhead

Hello. My name's Andrew. I'm 50 and live in Brighton. I was born in Bristol but moved to Nottingham when I was 3. It was there I got interested in the beautiful game and - like my friends - supported Forest. This was despite my dad supporting Fulham because his father had been a season ticket holder and Fulham resident. His mum was living in Putney, before the family moved to Carshalton before WW2.
He used to tell me of the post war years with nearly 50 000 people in the Cottage, the Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill years.

My dad and I used to draw a graph each week of Forest's and Fulham's position in the old Div 1 until Fulham got relegated. That was a couple of seasons before Dad's job took him back to London and we settled in Ruislip on the NW edge of the Great Wen. My dad took me to see Forest lose 6-1 at Spurs and also started taking me to the Cottage a few times. When Forest got relegated we got to see them more regularly, standing at the Putney End - him cheering Fulham and me Forest. Our trips to the Cottage and to see Forest at other London grounds became more frequent and around 1973 I actually decided I preferred Fulham to Forest. I started going with mates and standing in the Hammy End. My dad went through a stage of standing in the Enclosure and the Putney End where he used to get odd looks from the away supporters when cheering on the Cottagers. He changed jobs a few times before ending up working for Harrods in their insurance department - for Mo. He died in early 2000 when I was living abroad but he was really chuffed that Mo had revived Fulham's fortunes.

Through university (in Cardiff) I managed to see the Cottagers a few times a season and after moving to London and then Brighton in 1986 managed about 10 games / season. Unfortunately the football season coincides with the British surfing season - the other great non-family love of my life - so I've never had the time or money to commit to a season ticket. Now I have a 4 year old daughter and she supports Fulham - the 4th generation of my family, which I'm very proud of. I was going to take her to the Wigan game but I broke my leg and am largely confined to the house, so it will wait till the Spring.

The highlights of my FFC career? Undoubtedly last season, when I made it to Rome and Hamburg (twice) and being the only British football team to make the final of a major competition. The 75 cup final. The lowlights? The early 90s when we only just escaped the Conference and nearly lost the Cottage.

Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

WHITEwitch

What a fantastic thread I've loved finding out more about those I don't know.

I'm the White witch of Dorking and I am currently to be found in the middle of the JH stand right on the half way line and half way up.  Started off life in the Hammy End by the green pole and my first regular match with a proper Season ticket was also Leggy's first appearance.  Big crush on beardy weirdy footballer ensued though it was captain Coleman who set my girls hearts a flutter.

I married into a Fulham family.   Grandad had a pawn shop on the FP road and must have been one of the first regulars when the church team became FFC.  Father in law started going as a toddler and he took Mr Witch from the age of four.  Now my son is the fourth generation to sit in the JH stand.

So I followed as a bystander for many years but didn't go to games as it was very much a 'mens thing' however I was very into the internet and followed the Ostrich for a long time before I was tempted to respond to him one day and logged on as WHITE witch.  A while after that a certain LBno11 posted that he was in Dorking with his wife for the day and as I was rushing down to my computer class I almost bumped into a very tall gentleman in a Fulham shirt - couldn't resist asking him if he was LB - now he is the witchminder general!!

I had an away ticket for a cuple of seasons and met a lot of you guys on my travels - the rest in the good old GL and through my message board activities.  It's been a joy to have Corked hat here to stay and the Silver Fox and I share an unhealthy obsession with cheese.  I've even been for a fix to Lyon market with him and his lovely wife.

i adore the team - Leggy was replaced by Moritz in my affections and my current love is our Clint.     I never miss a homematch though I don't travel as much these days due to financial restrictions as I amnow officially a pensioner aaargh where did all those years go?

VB

Actung! Actung! Das ist good ya. (speak English you idiot) Iam Bill,Billy,Will or Willhelm. Born in may65 in Paddington Hos to a German and Austrian But adopted by a English Family as a baby and Raised in Mortlake which i never left.
1st Fulham game was in 74 vs Swindon(told this bit before)
theres a lot more about the Army,American Football, Boxing, Art School and becoming a muscian. but I get bored quickly.
In between all these years of doings, theres always been Fulham
Favourite players down the years in which Ive been going to the Cottage
John Micthell, Les Strong, VIV BUSBY, Peter Mellor, Ivor Davies, theres more but i get bored qui.....
anyways Vers sprung derk technichhhhh as they say round my way (i was looking for a icon with a Hitler Tach but there dosnt seem to be one...... :022:
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

CorkedHat

One of the many memories I have of my visit to England a couple of years ago was indeed when I stayed at White Witch's coven. Driving me to the station to catch a train home, Mr White Witch asked if I would like to see something archetypically English. We made a slight detour and there before me was a panorama of blue bells.
It may not mean much to you blokes who see it every Spring, but for this expat it evoked memories of a childhood when we would get on our bikes and ride to Banstead and maybe pick a few for our Mum.
We have some magnificent wildflowers here in Australia, certainly in West Australia, but for me there is nothing to compare with a field of bluebells.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

WHITEwitch

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on November 15, 2010, 06:47:23 PM
Should have come out after, the Dorking massive disgraced themselves by throwing up everywhere  :011: , i was sound after my freebie chinky in that weird Chinatown street by the ground. saying that i did sneak back for an hours kip and a shower, but then again the Yank and Witches offshoot went out for an italian and went back to the Hotel. They wilted badly about 1am, The Fredmiester was feeling fine  :008:

Oh the stories I am hearing - my boy is in shock still.

Snibbo

Belated introduction.   I've been posting as Mike H on the TIFF for some years.  Born in Hammersmith. 1st Fulham match was v Spurs in about 1965, we won 4-1 and I was addicted.  Saw the Maestro play many times, George Cohen, Graham Leggat, Tony Macedo. A bit later Alan Clarke. Then the dreadful years of relegation down to Div 3, yes I went to just about every home game, and how depressing it was. But we had some good players - Barret, Conway, Earle, Barry Lloyd, Vic Halom etc.  Lost touch for many years because I moved overseas. Now in Australia and have revived my addiction via the internet. Coming over for Christmas / New Year and have tickets for the West Ham and West Brom matches.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Hi there

I am NOT The Ostrich Watch...

Chopper

Right. Been meaning to contribute to this thread for ages but not had the time.

I'm David. Born in Kingston in 1968 (which makes me 40-something, you can do the maths 'cos I've lost track). My Grandad was born in Atalanta Street just off the Fulham Palace Road and my Dad grew up in Barnes. Despite going to Fulham one week and Ch*ls** the next they were both confirmed Fulham supporters.

My first Football memory was when my Dad brought home posters of Fulham and West Ham, from the Esso petrol station, prior to the 75 cup final. Dad took me too my first match in 1979 when Fulham beat Burnley 3-1 at the Cottage. Peter Marinello was sent off in the first half and Ivor bagged two goals. I wrote about that game on my old blog here > http://fulhamish.blogspot.com/2007/07/my-first-match-and-how-i-became-fulham.html

By 1981 we were going to just about all the home games and as many away games as my Mum would allow. I loved the Malcolm MacDonald era that gave me my first taste of success. Towards the end of the eighties, following a season back in the third tier I fell out of love with football (for a number of reasons but mainly due to music and girls!) and stopped going. I was tempted back in the early 90's and started going on my own. Was shocked at how poor we were and how little I knew about the players. By '94 I was going regularly again with a group of mates - just in time to see us drop into the fourth division for the first time since we'd reached the league.

Of course it's been pretty much all good since then, and I'm currently a season ticket holder in the cheap seats in the Hammy End (H7). I'm married and a father of two boys. My eldest (10) got into football very early and has ended up an Arsenal supporter. He's got a soft spot for Fulham though so I forgive him (and still hold a hope he might change allegiance). My youngest (7) isn't that bothered by watching sport but says he's a Fulham supporter when asked. I'm holding back on taking him in the hope it will make a bigger impression and keep him a Fulham fan.

The last 10 years have been amazing and having the chance to travel to Europe, especially to Hamburg in May, are the highlight of years following Fulham. However, I still have very fond memories of the Adams and MacDonald eras. However much we change we've remained the same friendly club and never take ourselves too seriously. It's how things should be.

Sold my soul to the Green Pole

Staffs White

Hi everyone.

I'm Chris a born and bread Stokie who decided on a whim to follow Fulham in the mid 1980's.

My 1st game was a 1-1 draw at Port Vale on 19th September 1987

The following 2 seasons were spent glued to teletext waiting for news of how we were doing on a Saturday afternoon with my yearly Fulham fix coming at either Vale Park or Gresty Road, the only places I could get to see us play live.

Freedom soon came when I passed my driving test on the day Italia 90 started and for season 91/92 I was able to get to the delights of Shrewsbury, Bolton, Bury Mansfield etc.

Amazingly I did not see Fulham win a game until the 91/92 season (nearly 5 years) when we beat Bolton at Burnden Park 3-0 and I'm sure Andy Cole might have scored or made his debut for us that day

What on earth possessed me to keep following us during that dismal period when all my mates were watching Stoke and Port Vale have some relative success I do not know.

My 1st visit to the Cottage was in 93/94 to witness a 0-0 draw against Wrexham.

I'm now married still living in Stoke on Trent have 2 young daughters aged 2 & 3 who are hopefully going to be my excuse to get to more games in the coming seasons.

Whilst I've never been a regular I've attended at least one game per season since that day in September 1987 as a spotty 14 year old and would not change any of it.

COYW :beer: :beer:

HatterDon

Brilliant, sir, but how is this your first post? Are there two Northern Whites?

WhiteJC

Quote from: HatterDon on December 01, 2010, 04:27:49 AM
Brilliant, sir, but how is this your first post? Are there two Northern Whites?

NorthernWhite and Northern White

LBNo11

...as NorthernWhite has been around for a while, maybe Northern White can change his name to something like Potters White or Staffs White - or even China White - let one of the mods know your choice and we will change it for you to avoid confusion - good to have you on board...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Staffs White

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 01, 2010, 09:44:02 AM
...as NorthernWhite has been around for a while, maybe Northern White can change his name to something like Potters White or Staffs White - or even China White - let one of the mods know your choice and we will change it for you to avoid confusion - good to have you on board...

Sorry everyone for the confusion typical of me to cause chaos wherever I go

PM sent to you LBNo11

Staffs White

HatterDon

Quote from: Staffs White on December 01, 2010, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on December 01, 2010, 09:44:02 AM

Sorry everyone for the confusion typical of me to cause chaos wherever I go

PM sent to you LBNo11

Staffs White

Not a bit of it, sir. And I did enjoy your introduction. Welcome aboard.

CaptainMatey

Its about time I introduced myself....And make a confession...

Born in South Ken, raised in Oxberry Avenue Fulham as a kid. Went to Holman Hunt school in New Kings Road. Went to 1st Fulham Game in 70's as a kid with Dad. Left London and moved down to Newquay, Cornwall with family. Grew up in Newquay and once old enough to drive would see Fulham play a couple of times a year making it a 560 mile trip. Dad would drive up, I would drive back in time to go out in Newquay on the p*ss.

Moved back to London in 95 and started going to more games. Ended up in Ealing in 2000 and thats when I met the famous Chris Topley (RIP). Did a couple of seasons most home and away games with Chris. Had a massive change of life circumstances in Oct 2003 (My son died) and something in me did the same. Its been 7 years since I have been to a Fulham game...

Stayed in London for a few more years and then moved out to Walton On Thames/Hersham in Surrey.

I've moved back to Newquay in June 2010 as had enough of London/Surrey and I might have to have  word with my dad again, and maybe shake off the cob webs and get to the odd game.

To the people that knew me (toby) I apologise for severing contact and completely dissappearing off the face off the earth and stopping going to matches. I wasn't being rude but like I said something changed inside me.

Anyway thats the confession out of the way.... Roll on the Sunderland games and heres to 3 points

HatterDon

Welcome back to the fold, sir. I think it's fair to say that any of us would have been shaken to the core in the face of such a tragedy. I hope you enjoy the FofF Family.

Peyton

Hi Im Brian and have been Fulham since my first game back in 1969. I have one brother who is Fulham and one who is the other lot but luckily the Fulham one took me to a match first.

Had family in walking distance of the ground who also support Fulham so choice was not a difficult one.

Born and raised in Richmond but lived out in Surrey/Berkshire since I got married nearly 25 years ago.

Converted my wife from Spurs to Fulham and both kids raised as season ticket holders.

Worked for London Transport in Chiswick Works for 9 years up to 1987 and knew some Fulham from there but lost touch over the years. 
I am therefore I must be.....I think?