Sunday
Swansea
1-0
Cardiff
Bristol City
2-2
Wigan

WhiteJC

'Blunt' 'Pressure' & 'Frustration' What the national media made of Middlesbrough v Fulham

Middlesbrough dropped into the bottom three after failing to beat Fulham. Here's what the watching media made of the match:

Here's what the watching media made of Middlesbrough v Fulham:
The Sun

All Jonathan Woodgate wants for Christmas is a striker as blunt Boro slipped into the bottom three despite having a man advantage for over 70 minutes against Fulham.

It's hard not to feel sorry for the young Middlesbrough boss, whose side's performances have improved 10-fold over the past week.

But a third successive blank in front of goal has heaped even more pressure and scrutiny on the Teessider after Boro were held by Scott Parker's ten-men at The Riverside.
Sunday People

Jonathan Woodgate's woes were summed up as Middlesbrough failed to score against 10-man Fulham - and dropped into the bottom three.

Fulham keeper Marek Rodak was sent off for handling outside his area. Rodak was racing to meet Jonny Howson's run on the end of Lewis Wing's crossfield ball.

But it wasn't until stoppage time that Boro mustered a single effort on target, Paddy McNair shooting at Marcus Bettinelli.

Wing had drilled a 72nd-minute free-kick against a post, but it was a second successive goalless draw for Boro, who are now seven games without a win.
Sunday Express

Middlesbrough failed to score against 10-man Fulham and dropped into the bottom three.

The visitors had keeper Marek Rodak sent off for handling outside his area in only the 19th minute.

But it wasn't until stoppage time that Boro mustered a shot on target when Paddy McNair's first-time strike went straight at Rodak's replacement, Marcus Bettinelli.
Sunday Sun

Blunt Boro dropped into the Championship relegation zone after frustration against Fulham.

Even with a man extra they failed to find the net and had to settle for a second successive goalless draw.

And with Huddersfield beating Barnsley 2-1 to climb clear, it left Boro third-bottom.

Boro have now gone three games without a goal, seven without a win and alarm bells should be ringing.

It was a deeply frustrating day at the Riverside as Boro failed to make their numerical advantage count.

It was a golden opportunity to claw away from danger spurned.
BBC Sport

Middlesbrough sank into the bottom three in the Championship after being held to a goalless draw at home by 10-man Fulham.

Boro, who had found the net only three times in their previous six games, drew another blank despite the dismissal of Whites goalkeeper Marek Rodak.

The Slovakian youngster was shown a red card for handling Jonny Howson's shot outside the area but, although Lewis Wing's second-half effort struck the post, the hosts failed to take advantage.

Aleksandar Mitrovic squandered Fulham's best opportunity to snatch the win, heading Joe Bryan's cross wide from close range.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/blunt-pressure--frustration-what-17153967

WhiteJC

Fulham's Scott Parker makes admission on opposite Middlesbrough number

Fulham boss Scott Parker has stated that he thinks Jonathan Woodgate will get it right in the long-term at Middlesbrough.

Boro have had a torrid start to the season, and find themselves sitting in the relegation zone following Saturday's goalless draw with Fulham.

It was a particularly disappointing result due to the fact that the Cottagers had been reduced to ten men so early in the game.

It caps off a struggling few months for Woodgate and his side, and he'll be hoping he can turn their fortunes around sooner rather than later if they're to push up the league.

Supporters on Teesside won't accept a relegation fight, and Saturday's opposition manager Parker expressed that he thinks Woodgate will be successful in the future.

Speaking to Teesside Live, Parker said: "Middlesbrough have a good young coach who I'm sure will get it right over time."

On the game, he said: "It's the most proud I've been of my team since I've been sitting in this position.

"This is a massive moment for us. It felt like a massive moment for me."

The Verdict

It's set to be a rocky ride for Middlesbrough this season, after what has been a really poor start to the campaign for them. They need results and fast, otherwise Steve Gibson may have no choice but to fire the boss.

Boro are obviously in a rebuilding stage but won't want this poor run to go on much longer. As much as the supporters want to give Woodgate a go, relegation would be truly atrocious for the club and be one of the biggest surprises of the season.

It's good to see that Parker thinks that he'll be a top manager in the future, but this learning curve may be the best thing that will happen to Woodgate in his managerial career.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulhams-scott-parker-makes-admission-on-opposite-middlesbrough-number/

WhiteJC

Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic thought side deserved to beat Middlesbrough despite early red card
Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic thought his side created the better chances during Saturday's goalless draw at Middlesbrough and even suggested the Cottagers deserved to win.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men after goalkeeper Marek Rodak was sent off with just 17 minutes on the clock, yet Boro failed to capitalise.

Despite seeing less of the ball, Fulham occasionally caused problems on the counter attack, with their best chance falling to Mitrovic who headed over midway through the second half.

"It was a tough game," the Serbian frontman told the Mail after the match. "We played 73 minutes with a player less. Middlesbrough had a couple of chances but I think we had the better chances.

"We should have scored in the end and I think we deserved to win and deserved three points in the end."

Mitrovic is the Championship's top scorer with 11 league goals this season and netted a hat-trick against Luton on Wednesday night.

Understandably, the 25-year-old was disappointed he couldn't add to his tally at the Riverside, but praised his team-mates for digging in.

"Really disappointed," said Mitrovic when asked about the header he missed. "I should score. It was a great cross from (Joe) Bryan and I don't know how I missed it but that's what happens, sometimes everything goes in sometimes not.

"Last time I had three shots, three goals, today I missed one. Overall we had to dig deep to get one point."

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-striker-aleksandar-mitrovic-thought-side-deserved-beat-middlesbrough-despite-early-red-card-820568

WhiteJC

Why Grant McCann's Hull City team selection was a masterstroke and what it means for Fulham

Peter Swan says the Hull City boss got it spot on against Derby County

Not for the first time in the hour leading up to kick-off Tom Eaves was the focus of plenty of terrace talk among Hull City fans on Saturday, writes Peter Swan.

With Josh Magennis banned and Norbert Balogh injured all expectation was Eaves would regain his place in the starting line-up to face Derby County. Then came the surprise, Grant McCann left his only fit senior striker on the bench and went with Jarrod Bowen up front.

You can read into that many things and it's easy to say Eaves' confidence will have taken a hammering further for not being picked with two strikers unavailable, but it actually turned out to be a masterstroke.

Firstly, McCann got his team selection spot on. He picked what he felt would be the best side to get a win against a very good Derby, and win they did.

Bowen played more as a false number 10 than a striker, dropping back for the ball. But the masterstroke wasn't just in picking a line-up to beat Derby, nor was it just the substitutions that he got spot on at just the right time, what's key is the fact Eaves came on in the final 20 minutes and affected the game by playing his part in allowing Bowen to score twice.

He didn't have any real chances himself, but he pulled defenders away, he caused Derby's defence some problems and gave them something to think about.

What he did was play a part in helping turn a draw into a victory and that will boost his confidence much more than if he'd started and been taken off after 60 minutes having not scored again.

Eaves will feel a lift at being a part of that strong finish by City and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the starting line-up for Fulham on Saturday.

If you want you can argue it was a selection by McCann that will have knocked his striker's confidence, but I think it's actually a decision which will benefit him and means City will be all the better for it at Craven Cottage.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hull-city-grant-mccann-fulham-3473031

WhiteJC

Five Thoughts: Middlesbrough 0-0 Fulham

Miserable, gloomy Middlesbrough. To those that ventured t'north to witness Fulham's 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough, I salute you. With very little to shout about, the Whites somehow cancelled out Boro's 1-man advantage to scurry back down south with a hard-earned point.

Job done, you could say, because Saturday's Teeside excursion guaranteed controversy, action and excitement. Well, we got one of those expectations, but in the grand scheme of things, cliched as it is, a point against Jonathan Woodgate's problematic camp is pretty good going. Mildly pleased is what we'll go for here.

500-mile round trip for a goalless draw. If I wasn't working, I'm sure I'd have joined you all, but I'll save my presence for Hull City at the Cottage. Much more appealing. 7th, four points off top, let's go maul the Tigers, without the cringe-worthy clawing at thin air. That, that is just as bad, if not worse, than clappers and Victoria sponges.

Rodak's Ridiculous Red
Come on, how many of you actually gave Marek Rodak their Man of the Match vote? Just as soon as we thought we'd blooded a 'keeper of credible, burgeoning ability, he rubs his reputation in the mud before it's even been validated. Guess we should start organising an apology letter for Marcus Bettinelli, right?

Boro hoisted a speculative long ball in Ashley Fletcher's direction and Rodak, sensing imminent danger, bolted from his 18-yard box. Fletcher reached the ball first and wedged towards the target, and the 22-year-old stopper obviously lost his bearings. Within the penalty area, it would have been a stupendous save, but as he was 10 yards or so out of safety, his irrational impulse to raise hand to ball was simply idiotic.

You've got to love his bewilderment, though. Convinced that the ball had struck his chest, the young Slovakian proceeded to fervidly contest the referee's decision to issue him a straight red, which was mandatory to say the least. Sorry, Marek, you're on your own with this one, pal. I feel sorry for Josh Onomah. Imagine being given the opportunity to start your first fixture for your new club, only to be hauled off before the 20 minute mark simply because one of your teammates thought they were playing rugby. Exceptional charge down, brain-dead intelligence.

Sensational Spirit Satisfaction
Following Rodak's dismissal, Fulham's backs were pressed firmly against the wall. Down to 10 men, with 70 minutes or so left to toil through, the visitors pulled together as a unit and kept the hosts at bay, just. Squeaky bum time lasted an eternity but everyone on that pitch recognised their individual objectives and the collective battle that lay before them.

Middlesbrough banged on the door in the early stages and a disorderly afternoon was already forecast, although the misfortune of being a man down can sometimes give teams a second wind and a genuine reason to fight tooth and nail. Recalculating our approach, shape and mindset was crucial, as Boro could have compounded our plight, but Parker's depleted men regrouped, instigated an alternative method and stuck to it religiously for the remainder.

The Whites grew into the game and weathered Boro's consistent pressure. Acknowledging that they'd have to invest every ounce of energy into stifling Boro's attacks, the Whites exhibited a mettle that we hadn't witnessed this season before their trip to North Yorkshire. Used to cruising through the majority of our previous encounters on the front foot, Fulham withstood and relinquished the home side's appetency, emerging from a perilous minefield with nothing more than a few close shaves. Astonishing application from all, and a clean sheet to sweeten a fairly drab outing on Teeside.

Cav' Catches Compliments
One man in particular caught my eye with their work-rate and desire under adversity, and that guy was Ivan Cavaleiro. Signifying Fulham's unified nerve and resolve, Cav' grabbed his defensive obligations by the short and curlies, clinging to his preservative duties with a stringent, adamant zestfulness. Every inch of that right-hand flank was inspected by the irrepressible Portuguese winger.

For the bulk of the game, Fulham had to soak up and spew out strenuous offensive sieges. Cav' is a grafter, he thrives on the prospect of beating his man and leaving them wallowing in the dust, and whilst hounding Hayden Coulson, George Saville and Fletcher, the 26-year-old transformed into an attentive, merciless enforcer, flexing his credentials as a makeshift wingback.

Going forward, Cav' offers the Whites a direct, potent dimension that frightens fullbacks witless. He's an explosive weapon on the break, unrivalled at this level, but when tasked to chip in and do his bit at the back, the Wolverhampton Wanderers loanee showcased an endurance and fortitude that was both highly beneficial and fundamental. Isolated and shadowed by Dael Fry and his defensive accomplices, Cav' refused to be oppressed, shuffling up the channel whilst being quarantined to ease tension. Replaced by an actual accredited defender in Maxime Le Marchand in the 84th minute, Cav's reputability, in my estimation, had inflated immeasurably.

Backing Bryan's Benefits
Regardless of opposition or circumstance, Joe Bryan will always make himself an option for his teammates to utilise. Chances to break the deadlock were few and far between for the Whites, however the buccaneering left-back contributed effectively with lung-busting spurts into uninhabited pockets. Bryan covers an immense distance along the left flank and his expansive tendencies enabled the Whites to surge out of awkward, cumbersome regions.

Combining with Tom Cairney almost telepathically in the second-half, Bryan hit the byline to dig out inviting crosses. Threaded into an advantageous zone along the left by TC, the adventurous defender lofted a teasing ball into Aleksandar Mitrovic's proximity, although the in-form Serb couldn't divert his header from close range. Bryan isn't greedy or needlessly extravagant – he knows that if he bombards that penalty area, Mitro' will snap them up and violate the fibres of the net. This time, though, the striker's crosshair was uncharacteristically askew.

Bryan will be caught out as a result of his offensive devotion and Jonny Howson examined the fullback's judgement. Bryan's defensive adeptness has always been shrouded by questionable scrutiny as he's clearly better in advanced positions but for me, despite being hemmed back sporadically, it was an efficient, well-rounded performance from the productive initiator. Constructive, progressive, Bryan's weekly offerings are regularly dependent and frequently splendid.

Hack, Harass, Harrison
Harrison Reed has definitely been taking notes from Stefan Johansen. Like the Norway skipper, Reed is an industrious operator with a crafty, vindictive streak, and we saw those pitiless, unforgiving traits come to life at the Riverside. Embarking on his own personal mission to stifle Middlesbrough's momentum, the special one midfield bandit held his professionalism as he wreaked havoc upon Lewis Wing, Marcus Tavernier and Saville.

Positioned in the heart of Fulham's midfield three, Reed injected the Whites' spine with a sedulous dynamism. Keeping it simple, the 24-year-old locked up in front of the back four and distributed wisely. One lapse and Boro could pounce, although Reed clearly understood the value of hard work and concentration. What I appreciate about his game the most is his logical, meticulous bias. He rarely appears to be fazed or overawed, just dogged and purposeful.

Now, about his yellow. As far as necessary, professional fouls go, that was a peach. StefJo smiles upon such cynical antics. Paddy McNair, charging into Fulham's half after Denis Odoi morphed into Lionel Messi for a split second, suddenly smooched the deck. McNair was gliding through bodies and was closing in on the target, but Reed had other ideas. Yes, Wing may have clattered the base of the post from the resulting free-kick, but a fuzzy sense of satisfaction coursed through my veins as the miniature assassin chopped the marauding Northern Irishman like a prime Nordic saboteur. StefJo's the pioneer, Reed is the protege.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2019-10-27-five-thoughts-middlesbrough-0-0-fulham/