watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We would never win a game 9-0

Started by Arthur, October 26, 2019, 11:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Leicester's 9-0 demolition of Southampton last night had me thinking back to our game at Reading at the beginning of the month. There is a parallel in that both ourselves and the Foxes scored early, saw an opponent sent off, and then followed this with goals in quick succession to take what was almost certainly an unassailable 3-0 lead with at least an hour to play. That night at the Madejski, a five-, six- or even seven-goal victory seemed well within our grasp. And yet, I doubt few of us were surprised that it failed to materialise. Because that's not how we go about things, is it?

Whether 4-1 or 9-0, it's still 3 points and no more, of course. There is, however, in my view, frequently a galling lack of urgency about our attitude once we take the lead. Whenever the ball goes out of play or there is a stoppage, anyone who didn't know otherwise would be forgiven for thinking that we were inferior to our opponents and trying to hang on to a lead by wasting a bit of time. We get a corner, for instance, and the corner-taker strolls over at slow speed while the rest of the team amble up the field and stand pretty-much motionless in the penalty area. No one looks 'on his toes'. No one appears keen to score the next goal. The players seem uninterested even if they're not. And I don't mean just in the dying minutes. I see it, at times, even in the first-half of matches.

How we approach games when we're ahead says something perhaps as to why we are not winning more often. Some of the criticism on here that followed Wednesday night's victory may have been expressed somewhat harshly, but the frustration was not without some justification. 'Striking while the iron's hot' does not seem to be among this team's ethics.

KJS

So whatπŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„ Southampton rolled over Championship sides dont

Mince n Tatties

Sgt Fulham

I thought this was a joke at first but you make a good point OP. We panic when we're ahead as if we're a plucky underdog that's got their nose Infront by some miracle. Rather than slinking into our shell I'd love to see us assert more dominance.

Peabody

Peabody

bobbo

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on October 26, 2019, 12:15:14 PM
But we've won won 10-1...πŸ˜‰
yes we have and I was there, that game last night could be played again today and it be a different score.
We also lost 9-0 (I think ) to wolves one night game way back.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Arthur

Quote from: Peabody on October 26, 2019, 01:26:31 PM
Also the 8 against Halifax

Apologies. I thought it was obvious from my post that I am referring to this team - not making a statement that spans our entire history.

I guess sometimes you simply have to spell it out.

fcfulham55

We will never, but don't bet against us losing 9-0 lol.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Woolly Mammoth

To win a match comprehensively 9 0, you need a killer instinct. Something Fulham currently do not possess unfortunately.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

We beat norwich in the premiership 6-0 once, not too long ago either.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

fcfulham55

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on October 26, 2019, 04:23:28 PM
We beat norwich in the premiership 6-0 once, not too long ago either.

And QPR more recently.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Peabody

Quote from: Arthur on October 26, 2019, 02:17:59 PM

Apologies. I thought it was obvious from my post that I am referring to this team - not making a statement that spans our entire history.

But your title says "We would never win a game 9-0", nowhere does it say this team. Just pointing out that our team has been involved in high scoring games, both for and against

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Peabody on October 26, 2019, 05:47:46 PM
Quote from: Arthur on October 26, 2019, 02:17:59 PM

But your title says "We would never win a game 9-0", nowhere does it say this team. Just pointing out that our team has been involved in high scoring games, both for and against

Oh. In that case, no.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Statto

Quote from: Arthur on October 26, 2019, 11:54:32 AM
Leicester's 9-0 demolition of Southampton last night had me thinking back to our game at Reading at the beginning of the month. There is a parallel in that both ourselves and the Foxes scored early, saw an opponent sent off, and then followed this with goals in quick succession to take what was almost certainly an unassailable 3-0 lead with at least an hour to play. That night at the Madejski, a five-, six- or even seven-goal victory seemed well within our grasp. And yet, I doubt few of us were surprised that it failed to materialise. Because that's not how we go about things, is it?

Whether 4-1 or 9-0, it's still 3 points and no more, of course. There is, however, in my view, frequently a galling lack of urgency about our attitude once we take the lead. Whenever the ball goes out of play or there is a stoppage, anyone who didn't know otherwise would be forgiven for thinking that we were inferior to our opponents and trying to hang on to a lead by wasting a bit of time. We get a corner, for instance, and the corner-taker strolls over at slow speed while the rest of the team amble up the field and stand pretty-much motionless in the penalty area. No one looks 'on his toes'. No one appears keen to score the next goal. The players seem uninterested even if they're not. And I don't mean just in the dying minutes. I see it, at times, even in the first-half of matches.

How we approach games when we're ahead says something perhaps as to why we are not winning more often. Some of the criticism on here that followed Wednesday night's victory may have been expressed somewhat harshly, but the frustration was not without some justification. 'Striking while the iron's hot' does not seem to be among this team's ethics.

Agree with this. There's no better way to assert your dominance than scoring, then continuing to press for another as if 1-0 or 2-0 isn't enough, and we did that during the better spells under Jokanovic. I was also growing disappointed that we weren't doing it this season, until Wednesday, but against Luton I felt we did it. After we went 1-0 up, I really thought we'd win that game 5-0.

Andy S

Normally games that follow from a big score finish 0-0 it is phycological in many ways the all important thing is to win by how much it doesn't matter. Unless goal difference is needed on the last day of the season then you might give it a go

filham

Don't get excited we are not playing either Halifax nor Ipswich this season. Our best chances are probably against one of theΒ  bottom three , Barnsley, Stoke or Boro at home. However in away matches against these three we have failed to score so we must not expect huge scores when we meet again.

Harry Bayles

But in all fairness how many other teams are likely to win 9-0 this season? I don't think we will uniquely not score 9