more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Late Beddy Jezzard

Started by filham, November 06, 2019, 10:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Be sure to read the short article on Beddy Jezzard in the Hull Programme,
Beddy would contend two "Best Ever" titles for Fulham, there is no one else you can say that about. As a striker he was magnificent, his pace was devastating and until Ivor came along there was no one to match him.

As a manager , promotion to the top flight in his 1st season and then five seasons of 1st Division football on a shoe string budget.

Penfold

Before my time, but understand that Mullery being sold behind his back prompted him to leave and run family pub. Think he'd retired by the time I frequented it - Thatched House, Dalling Road, Hammersmith.

RaySmith

Just missed him as a player, but well remember him as manager in those 60's First (Top) Division  days, with that core of players  led by the great Johnny Haynes that so many remember so affectionately, though we often battled relegation.
Those were the days when  managers were largely in the background..

But he is most definitely a Fulham Legend.

bog

Bedford is still in my best ever line up. When we were in Division 2 in the early 50's and he was part of a front 5 that were all good enough to play fr England. Arthur Stevens, Bobby Robson, Bedford, Johnny Haynes and Charlie Mitten, they were that good and Bedford led the line with style. He played twice for England as a Division 2 player. Yes he did leave the club after Mullery was sold and he never once came back to the club.

A few years back my daughter was working at an estate agents. A lady rang up from London and was asked whereabouts, 'Fulham'.she said. 'My dad's a massive fan of that club.' 'Oh my brother used to play for them, he may remember his name...Bedford Jezzard.'   :54: :54:

For that day at Wembley I wore a shirt with number 9 and Jezzard on the back. I had many comment from us older fans like scruffy old me. It is my aim to one day go to a game with 4 others  commemorating that front 5 who have all now passed on.

092.gif     

MikeW

Quote from: bog on November 06, 2019, 02:19:15 PM
Bedford is still in my best ever line up. When we were in Division 2 in the early 50's and he was part of a front 5 that were all good enough to play fr England. Arthur Stevens, Bobby Robson, Bedford, Johnny Haynes and Charlie Mitten, they were that good and Bedford led the line with style. He played twice for England as a Division 2 player. Yes he did leave the club after Mullery was sold and he never once came back to the club.

A few years back my daughter was working at an estate agents. A lady rang up from London and was asked whereabouts, 'Fulham'.she said. 'My dad's a massive fan of that club.' 'Oh my brother used to play for them, he may remember his name...Bedford Jezzard.'   :54: :54:

For that day at Wembley I wore a shirt with number 9 and Jezzard on the back. I had many comment from us older fans like scruffy old me. It is my aim to one day go to a game with 4 others  commemorating that front 5 who have all now passed on.

A bit younger, but not much, my abiding memory from schoolboy days was:-

Macedo,
Cohen, Langley:
Mullery Bentley Lowe:
Key Cook O'Connell, Haynes, Leggat

Sticks in my memory to this day. Mullery was only a kid with by contrast Bentley & Lowe positively ancient by modern day standards.

No holding mid fielders then or 'playing in the hole'.  Pah!

092.gif     
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

bog

Quote from: MikeW on November 06, 2019, 04:32:28 PM

A bit younger, but not much, my abiding memory from schoolboy days was:-

Macedo,
Cohen, Langley:
Mullery Bentley Lowe:
Key Cook O'Connell, Haynes, Leggat

Sticks in my memory to this day. Mullery was only a kid with by contrast Bentley & Lowe positively ancient by modern day standards.

No holding mid fielders then or 'playing in the hole'.  Pah!

092.gif     

Seven of that line up are in my best ever 11.  In 1975 when we first went to Wembley Pat O'Connell took Epsom & Ewell there in the FA Vase final as their manager. 

092.gif

filham

092.gif     
Were you aware that Newcastle, then a top 1st Division outfit, tried to but Haynes, Jezzard and Robson, as a packaged deal.
I suspect that the big reason for Beddy's success as a manager was that he concentrated on handling his players with tact and resisted courting publicity on his own behalf.
Perhaps the next time we are at Wembley you could find a couple of fans to sit next to you with Haynes and Robson on their shirts. No doubt that we were privileged to see that attack , it just has to be our best ever.

bog

Quote from: filham on November 07, 2019, 11:12:36 AM

092.gif     
Were you aware that Newcastle, then a top 1st Division outfit, tried to but Haynes, Jezzard and Robson, as a packaged deal.
I suspect that the big reason for Beddy's success as a manager was that he concentrated on handling his players with tact and resisted courting publicity on his own behalf.
Perhaps the next time we are at Wembley you could find a couple of fans to sit next to you with Haynes and Robson on their shirts. No doubt that we were privileged to see that attack , it just has to be our best ever.

Yes I am filham. What a trio they were. Yes Beddy was a quiet manager, he had the respect of the players. I hope I will do that back at Wembley one day!! 049:gif 

Stoneleigh Loyalist

As a teenager in1958/59 I was fortunate to mix with the team socially through my father's local council position and I must agree with comments above about  Buddy Jezzard  always being the quiet man in the background. He went about his job in a modest way and that also applied to photo calls at social events. He almost did not want to take any credit for the team's outstanding performance that season.

filham

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on November 07, 2019, 03:14:54 PM
As a teenager in1958/59 I was fortunate to mix with the team socially through my father's local council position and I must agree with comments above about  Buddy Jezzard  always being the quiet man in the background. He went about his job in a modest way and that also applied to photo calls at social events. He almost did not want to take any credit for the team's outstanding performance that season.
That is nice to hear about an all time hero of mine. Thank you.