more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker

Started by Bassey the warrior, November 06, 2019, 09:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on November 07, 2019, 02:50:40 PM
@Matt10, I like a lot of your posts but WTF are you on about here?

"A support base that does not want to lose their own perceived tactical identity"? No. The majority on here fully appreciate the beauty and potential of the passing game. The criticisms of Parker aren't derived from us all being long-ball cavemen.

What I, and I think most on here, want is things like an organised defence, quick movement and passing, some guile from our wingers, more intelligent shot and cross choices, better substitutions etc.

The basic tactical template is fine, but Parker is implementing it badly.

What I mean by that is each individual's perception of what tactics we should be using. It's all over the place. Generic desires are one thing, but they can be argued just as easily as it is to list them. Look around here, social media, the second someone mentions another club, or another manager, it goes on about their playstyle and tactics. As if you can just copy and paste that template. I'm guilty of it too for when I edit clips for fulham focus and find myself wondering why we can't play like Roy had us playing in 2009, or how Tigana had us playing in 2000. Why aren't we able to do that? Of course Parker is up against that.

MikeW

"A support base that does not want to lose their own perceived tactical identity"? No. The majority on here fully appreciate the beauty and potential of the passing game. The criticisms of Parker aren't derived from us all being long-ball cavemen.

What I, and I think most on here, want is things like an organised defence, quick movement and passing, some guile from our wingers, more intelligent shot and cross choices, better substitutions etc.

With you totally Statto
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

colinwhite

Good Op .Im with you .

Luka

I want to be entertained, I want to go home knackered from the excitement and I want to be impatient for the next game to arrive.
None of that is happening for me this season and I put that squarely at Parker's door.
I'd probably feel a bit better if we were romping the league and could reconcile the dullnes of the Football as a means to an end, but his tactics of Slow slow, possession is everything football, leave me cold.

The Rational Fan

If we have diagnosed last seasons problems incorrectly, then we will improve minor problem and not fix last years major problems.

There are four possible problems last season either:
i) the "statistics are bullpoo" causing us to recruit terrible players (accountable person DOF);
ii) the "tactics were wrong" getting the worst out of our players (responsible person manager);
iii) the "players got statistical worse" under the coaching staff (responsible all football staff);
iv) the "players were new" and didn't adjust to be a cohesive new team (responsible all football staff).

All are partly correct, but not fixing the biggest problem will mean we won't improve.

Depending on the problem, there are various solutions:
i) if the "recruitment was the problem", then recruit players from the english leagues (done)
ii) if the "tactics were wrong", then try a manager with the opposite tactics like Raneri and Parker (done)
iii) the "players got worse", then try different coaching staff to improve them (not done).
iv) the "players took time to adjust"; then keep these players for a 2nd season to be more cohesive (not done).

For me its clear, last season we blamed "recruitment" and "tactics" (minor problems),
but the real problems were "player performance" and "team cohesion" (major problems).

love4ffc

Was involved in a podcast recently and one of the cohosts said something that really stuck out to me.  In our promotion year under Slav we had a perfect combination in the midfield with Kmac covering, Tom making the creative passes and Johansen making the penetrating runs that linked up the midfield and Mitro or other strike partners. 

When Fulham have been at their best this season has occurred when Johansen was in the starting XI.  In that starting XI we had either Harry or Harrison playing the Kmac role of holding midfielder.  This allows Tom to be creative with his free role of attacking, passing or taking the chance with one of his left footed wonder shots. 

I am in the Parker stays camp and believes he still needs time to fully develop his coaching style and implement it.  With that support however I do believe that Parker has shown that at times he is both out of his current depth and tactics prowess.  I would say though in the same breath that he has shown on two occasions that he can adjust under circumstances and make the right calls to get a positive result. 
•   Changing to a back three at home
•   Going down to 10 players
I think he needs to be given the season.  I think he needs to up the tempo of play.  More one touch passing with wingers / outside backs making runs to the corners looking for the crosses.  Quicker positive penetrating passes with less square or backward passing. 

We are only 1/3 of the way into the season.  Still within shouting of promotion and just a little skip off of playoffs.  I'm not giving up on this team or Parker yet. 

Even though they are driving me crazy more and more. 

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: love4ffc on November 08, 2019, 03:31:23 AM
Was involved in a podcast recently and one of the cohosts said something that really stuck out to me.  In our promotion year under Slav we had a perfect combination in the midfield with Kmac covering, Tom making the creative passes and Johansen making the penetrating runs that linked up the midfield and Mitro or other strike partners. 

When Fulham have been at their best this season has occurred when Johansen was in the starting XI.  In that starting XI we had either Harry or Harrison playing the Kmac role of holding midfielder.  This allows Tom to be creative with his free role of attacking, passing or taking the chance with one of his left footed wonder shots. 

I am in the Parker stays camp and believes he still needs time to fully develop his coaching style and implement it.  With that support however I do believe that Parker has shown that at times he is both out of his current depth and tactics prowess.  I would say though in the same breath that he has shown on two occasions that he can adjust under circumstances and make the right calls to get a positive result. 
I think he needs to be given the season.  I think he needs to up the tempo of play.  More one touch passing with wingers / outside backs making runs to the corners looking for the crosses.  Quicker positive penetrating passes with less square or backward passing. 

We are only 1/3 of the way into the season.  Still within shouting of promotion and just a little skip off of playoffs.  I'm not giving up on this team or Parker yet. 

We have until May 2021 to get promoted; Parker has been at the club years, but he doesn't seem to know our best XI, best formation and how to get the best out of the players. Giving Parker 16 months in the position (i.e. till the end of the season), means only giving the next manager 12 months in the position before parachute payments ends (like QPR, Hull and Middlesboughs ended in May 2019). If Parker cannot get the team to respond against Birmingham, then I doubt his coaching skills.

If Parker cannot get us promoted this seasons after 16 months and lots of money.  Do you think the next manager can get us promoted in 12 months and less money? If you think another manager can get us promoted with less time and less money, hire him now.

colinwhite

Good post love 4ffc . I agree that he has shown that he can adapt on more than one ocassion. Luka ....You obviously have never been through the bad times pal!

RaySmith

0001.jpeg

RaySmith

Quote from: Luka on November 07, 2019, 09:19:21 PM
I want to be entertained, I want to go home knackered from the excitement and I want to be impatient for the next game to arrive.
None of that is happening for me this season and I put that squarely at Parker's door.
I'd probably feel a bit better if we were romping the league and could reconcile the dullnes of the Football as a means to an end, but his tactics of Slow slow, possession is everything football, leave me cold.

Everyone   has their own experience and opinions, but personally I always has butterflies in my stomach on my way to a Fulham game, and feel excited, and during the game too mostly, even in the bottom division , when the football often was awful, and the atmosphere  pretty dead, with  less than 5,00 fans in attendance, and space to sit down on the Enclosure terracing.

I just wish I was still able to  watch Fulham every week, but if i did  boredom is definitely one thing I would   not feel too often. t

Even listening to GJ is seldom boring - in fact the opposite, and definitely worse in terms of tension to actually being at the game, and being able to vent your  stress and frustration, and  joy - if we actually score, and especially if we win.
EG - that game at Middlesborough, a 0-0, but I was on the edge of my seat listening to Jim - would we hold out with 10 men, and when we did  it felt as if we'd won, which we  almost did.

But others  felt differently, about that and other games,  I appreciate. For me he result is the thing - I really enjoy a win, and  feel depressed at a loss.
If we win I don't care how we got it. I'd rather  see an ugly win, though I appreciate all  styles of football, than play beautifully, however you perceive  that, and lose.

To me, the style should be the most effective in getting the  desired result, nothing to do with considerations of entertainment.
Most fans  won't be happy if their team keeps losing, however they play.

At the moment  we obviously aren't getting the results, and this is  why fans are   frustrated.

I think out style is evolving, and admire Parker for sticking to his guns, but he obviously  must realise that some changes are needed - his job is on the line for a start, apart from his  professional pride.

Slava took  some time before he got things right, and also faced criticisms of  his style of play, and calls for him to be replaced.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 08, 2019, 04:47:10 AM

We have until May 2021 to get promoted; Parker has been at the club years, but he doesn't seem to know our best XI, best formation and how to get the best out of the players. Giving Parker 16 months in the position (i.e. till the end of the season), means only giving the next manager 12 months in the position before parachute payments ends (like QPR, Hull and Middlesboughs ended in May 2019). If Parker cannot get the team to respond against Birmingham, then I doubt his coaching skills.

If Parker cannot get us promoted this seasons after 16 months and lots of money.  Do you think the next manager can get us promoted in 12 months and less money? If you think another manager can get us promoted with less time and less money, hire him now.

IMO we have until May 2020 to get promoted - i.e. this season as next term we will be significantly weaker, it's why my personal stance is we can ill afford to allow Parker much more time unless he begins to deliver starting Saturday.

toshes mate

Quote from: Matt10 on November 07, 2019, 04:55:00 PM
What I mean by that is each individual's perception of what tactics we should be using. It's all over the place. Generic desires are one thing, but they can be argued just as easily as it is to list them. Look around here, social media, the second someone mentions another club, or another manager, it goes on about their playstyle and tactics. As if you can just copy and paste that template. I'm guilty of it too for when I edit clips for fulham focus and find myself wondering why we can't play like Roy had us playing in 2009, or how Tigana had us playing in 2000. Why aren't we able to do that? Of course Parker is up against that.
I think in essence you are right.  In Jokanovic's first full season here the big wins wins at home against Reading and Huddersfield visibly lifted morale across the board in spite of it being a fairly moderate season in many respects.  It was so much better than the dross before.  Parker is not just up against the memories of Tigana, Macdonald, and Hodgson, he is also up against the memories of Jokanovic's sides at their best, when players were delivering spectacular goals when it mattered.  We want to forget the bad and Parker will know, like any involved in professional football, that you are only ever just one game  away from that lift or depression a single result can bring.  Jokanovic delivered when it mattered most to the Club; Parker needs to do the same and he can do it unless and until someone else in charge makes it impossible for him.

southwest6

I think those who have been calling for Scott's sacking are far too quick to forget the antics of last season. I am admittedly frustrated with where we're at - although i'm more frustrated with the way we play on most occasions. I think that most on here agree that we're far too slow in possession... While Millwall aren't by any stretch of the imagination the greatest team in the land, the lads clearly showed what they're capable of and it really was mesmerising.

I think the reason as to why I'm less inclined to call for his head is simply because I never expected too much at the start of the season (yes even with the quality in our squad). I was - and still am - expecting a top 6 finish, and believe we are certainly capable of achieving that. I don't, however, think that replacing Scott with Sam, Hughton or anyone (within reason) for that matter will resolve our issues. Stability is key for a football team. We are still in a decent spot albeit below the expectations of many including myself.

IIRC many of the players came out to say how pleased they were that Scotty got the job: He is clearly liked by the players and that in itself is incredibly important. Are his tactics underpar at this level? Perhaps, however it is his first job. If, suppose, we are 10 points off play offs by christmas then yes something is fundamentally wrong and he should therefore be sacked. However I don't think matters are as bad many on here make them out to be. If one could objectively analyse our current predicament, that is not taking into account your prior expectations, biases and so on, then one presumably wouldn't be so negative about the whole situation. I like Scotty and hope he pulls through this. The team and the gaffer need our support though