watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Parker

Started by Bassey the warrior, November 06, 2019, 09:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

I know I know, it's yet another thread on him, but here's my two cents. I like him, I think he's doing fairly well for his first manager job. Has he even got a year's experience?

I think he's been brave to get us playing such expansive football and I like how we play albeit I think we need to make several tactical tweaks. I also think he is trying different things to make it work better.

We've all too often been let down by individual errors rather than tactical errors, which isn't to say there's been no tactical errors. It falls under his remit to coach players and motivate players to cut out the errors. It's also the job of the players to take responsibility for that themselves.

I will be very very upset if we sign a negative manager like Moyes or Allardyce.

All in all I think we need to give him till Christmas so long as we're in or around the play offs and I think he can and will do better.

Is anyone with me?

ALG01

I am with you.

I was thrilled how he started, feel like he has got things a bit wrong at the moment and maybe the international break will be a good time for him to reflect. But I am less sure of him now because this is possesion for its own sake, not with a purpose and our set pieces are shambolic. But certainly I would not make a change yet, we are still well placed and a couple of wins on the bounce and we will see confidence soar. IMO TC needs to be played deeper and more central and that will be 65% of the tweaks done.

MikeW

Expansive football? Explain.  Boring one dimensional in my view.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

The Rational Fan

He is doing very well for us as first manager, that will became a great manager and as a Fulham fan so what.

If we stay in this division and we keep him, then in a couple of years he will probably get us to the playoffs with no money, only to get beaten by some big budget parchuate  payment club. People will say he deserves a team with a bigger budget.

Everyone in the land will be singing Parker's praises as he gets offerred a premier league team like Tottenham or Chelsea (which he'll take), while we are struggling to build a team with our gate receipts and Mr Khans money who is now bored financially supporting a mid-table championship club that cannot invest due to FFP rules.

bobbo

I'm with you too , I really don't think we'll be good enough for promotion or maybe even the play offs level (quite) this season. Let's hope he learns and gathers invaluable experience from the whole season.
Slightly off the subject I personally don't like so many lone players as good as they may be, because next season they could begone and we need to start a new jelling process.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: bobbo on November 06, 2019, 11:32:52 PM
I'm with you too , I really don't think we'll be good enough for promotion or maybe even the play offs level (quite) this season. Let's hope he learns and gathers invaluable experience from the whole season.
Slightly off the subject I personally don't like so many lone players as good as they may be, because next season they could begone and we need to start a new jelling process.

Agreed
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on November 06, 2019, 09:06:06 PM
I know I know, it's yet another thread on him, but here's my two cents. I like him, I think he's doing fairly well for his first manager job. Has he even got a year's experience?

I think he's been brave to get us playing such expansive football and I like how we play albeit I think we need to make several tactical tweaks. I also think he is trying different things to make it work better.

We've all too often been let down by individual errors rather than tactical errors, which isn't to say there's been no tactical errors. It falls under his remit to coach players and motivate players to cut out the errors. It's also the job of the players to take responsibility for that themselves.

I will be very very upset if we sign a negative manager like Moyes or Allardyce.

All in all I think we need to give him till Christmas so long as we're in or around the play offs and I think he can and will do better.

Is anyone with me?

0001.gif ... but you knew that!  :dft012:

Statto

Got mixed views about the best course of action at this point, but if we don't get promoted he absolutely should be unceremoniously sacked at the end of the season

YankeeJim

Amazing how y'all know what Parker and Khan are thinking. Can't wait until they both are gone so I can read you guys complaining about their replacements.

There is a baseball team in the US (Chicago Cubs) who play in an iconic century old stadium and hadn't won anything in 71 years. When they finally did I saw some fan interviews and they seemed almost disappointed. It was if they enjoyed losing. Masochistic so to speak. I noticed some of that when I came on board at Fulham in 2004. Didn't understand the Cubs fans and don't understand some of you.

Khan, despite his many mistakes, really seems to have the best long term interest of FFC at heart. Parker, despite his mistakes, has my confidence. If you brought in Sir Alex and gave him a blank check, FFC would not be winning in the Prem without being bankrupt in short order. There is no way a club the size of Fulham is going to be a consistent winner in the Prem of today. Tear down the cottage and build some generic 70k seat stadium and they might have a chance but then, it wouldn't be Fulham, now would it? 

Enjoy when you can and cry when you must.

COYW!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

ALG01

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 06, 2019, 11:58:21 PM
Amazing how y'all know what Parker and Khan are thinking. Can't wait until they both are gone so I can read you guys complaining about their replacements.

There is a baseball team in the US (Chicago Cubs) who play in an iconic century old stadium and hadn't won anything in 71 years. When they finally did I saw some fan interviews and they seemed almost disappointed. It was if they enjoyed losing. Masochistic so to speak. I noticed some of that when I came on board at Fulham in 2004. Didn't understand the Cubs fans and don't understand some of you.

Khan, despite his many mistakes, really seems to have the best long term interest of FFC at heart. Parker, despite his mistakes, has my confidence. If you brought in Sir Alex and gave him a blank check, FFC would not be winning in the Prem without being bankrupt in short order. There is no way a club the size of Fulham is going to be a consistent winner in the Prem of today. Tear down the cottage and build some generic 70k seat stadium and they might have a chance but then, it wouldn't be Fulham, now would it? 

COYW!

Well, I do have to say that for whetver reason that is a massive misunderstanding of what most of us are saying.

Hardly anyone doubts Mr Khan's intention. What we do wonder aboput is making obvious errors and repeating them as if somehow that will achieve a different outcome. Leaving his son in situ, most of us agree, is massive indulgence that has substantially harmed our team. Under Mr Khan's stewardship, if he would have been more rational or sensible or any other word you may choose, and brought in top professionals such as MAF did with Keegan to run things, then we would still be in the Prem, probably.

Our return to the top flight was a massively avoidable and obviously foreseeable bit of negligence on his part, indulging his son, in world that he is totally unsuited too. The money we have chucked away that could have been spent much better is criminal, and would you have us say, wow that was £100M well spent, continue like that.

And this season, the squad is better.... but a massive deliquency, we do not have a proper defence or back up centre forward. I give 9/10 for effort and being a nice guy, 3/10 for results. He continues to make very avoidable errors and I am still concerned we are actually going long term backwards not forwar because he does not learn and keeps his son in situ is just the main error I can see..

FFC1987

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 06, 2019, 11:58:21 PM

COYW!

I can only presume you've commented on the wrong thread to be honest......That hasn't said really anything about what peopel here and most places of the forum are talking about so I'm somewhat confused.

junior white

not sure where i stand on the Parker out movement, i think i am in the corer of him staying. I am not a fan of chopping and changing managers, we have been there and it didnt work. I also believe that we have ore points this season than we did in any full championship season under Slav. While we had a great run the year we got to the playoffs it was needed just to make them, to make the play offs this season we don't need that, for auto promotion we will need something similar.

I didnt think we would steam roller the division, i thought that if we got 3 wins, a draw and a defeat every 5 games (on average over the season) we wouldn't be far off where we wanted to be. We are not doing that right now, think its just under but I am hopeful we can push on.

RaySmith

I don't think we are far from being successful under Parker.

i think we have the players, but need to take find ways to brekl down packed defences and  score the goals that our  possession and attacking play  should score, and tighten up at the back obviously, and not be so vulnerable to being hit on the break.

WE need to score early in games, not waste chances as we have been, so that teams are forced to come out at us,, and not concede early, which is the worst thing for us, especially at home.

I do think Parker can turn things round, and that we will  begin to mount a promotion challenge as other contenders fall away.

SuffolkWhite

If Parker is to be the new Eddie How then we need to let him have time or what was the point in giving him the job!? Young Manager who needs time.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Matt10

I think Parker is fighting a battle between instilling modern football tactics with a support base that does not want to lose their own perceived tactical identity. He's losing the battle because his tactics are not producing direct results, as in more goals scored and less goals conceded = higher standings, thus validating the concern from supporters. It's further validated because of his lack of experience and the strength and power of suggestion. For every positive suggestion that comes up, there are multiple negative suggestions. It's human nature, collectively, to jump on the negatives than it is the positives - which further pushes into the perception of Parker.

Personally, I'd rather have a fundamental base tactic that creates an identity and supports the players we have on the pitch. I believe players under Parker are only going to get better, regardless of their seniority. His system will force players to be better because they have to be brave to be able to pass the ball on the ground and maintain possession as much as we do. It's quite similar to why Slav would stress bravery as well - so much so that it became a cliche'. I stand firm in that our final ball and player production is the missing element.

We have several players who were signed to score goals, but are not finding the back of the net. I am not sure what else Parker, or his coaches, can do to force these players to get shots on target and score goals for the team. I do feel we are a 4-0 win away from everyone developing that confidence though. It just needs to happen soon, and that kind of demand, whether it be from supporters or Parker himself, cannot just magically appear.

I would love for the answer to our problems to be some type of tactical adjustment, but I believe it's not, which as a result makes things a bit more out of control. That scares some into defending their own assumptions, or it frees up the worry. I'm the latter at this point, and I defer to trusting Parker, Stuart Gray, Matt Wells, other coaches, and our players, to do what they need to do.

Statto

@Matt10, I like a lot of your posts but WTF are you on about here?

"A support base that does not want to lose their own perceived tactical identity"? No. The majority on here fully appreciate the beauty and potential of the passing game. The criticisms of Parker aren't derived from us all being long-ball cavemen.

What I, and I think most on here, want is things like an organised defence, quick movement and passing, some guile from our wingers, more intelligent shot and cross choices, better substitutions etc.

The basic tactical template is fine, but Parker is implementing it badly.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on November 07, 2019, 02:50:40 PM
@Matt10, I like a lot of your posts but WTF are you on about here?

"A support base that does not want to lose their own perceived tactical identity"? No. The majority on here fully appreciate the beauty and potential of the passing game. The criticisms of Parker aren't derived from us all being long-ball cavemen.

What I, and I think most on here, want is things like an organised defence, quick movement and passing, some guile from our wingers, more intelligent shot and cross choices, better substitutions etc.

The basic tactical template is fine, but Parker is implementing badly.

This pretty much.

Woolly Mammoth

Let's get off Parker's back, he hasn't been in the roll long enough, plus he will be learning all the time,
especially when we get beaten.
What makes anyone think bringing another manager is going work any better. How often does that work, when 6 months later their sacked for one reason or another. We have had far too many managers since the Khans arrived and it's been proved that they have had to sack everyone of them apart from SP, all of them hired under the Khans, that tells you more about the Khans than the managers they hired then sacked.
Time to relax and show some patience and vision.
We are Fulham not Arsenal or Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea or West Ham United, and probably never will be, and do I care, no not really, we are dear old Fulham FC, we are unique. An onlooker would probably put us in the same category as Charlton Athletic and Queens Park Rangers and Brentford and even Millwall will always fancy their chances against us. Some time ago I would have put Crystal Palace in that bracket but they have moved ahead of us while we have stood still. But it is what it is. I am enjoying this season far more than last season anyway. Whatever happens, If players want to leave at the end of the season for one reason or another then so be it.
I never ever thought we would be a shoe in for first or second, maybe top 6, but my expectations are a lot lower than others, so I won't be disappointed if we don't make it, because some of our players as individuals have not the quality to qualify for promotion at the moment, and as a team, definitely not, having said that, we have every chance of qualifying for the top 6.
A lot depends on the January sales.
But whilst we have so many loans, I do not think that is beneficial for team spirit and moral every time.
Nevertheless, by replacing SP at this stage of proceedings would be like jumping out of a frying pan that is being warmed up, into a blazing and out of control fire is foolhardy, and an error of judgement. We are good old Fulham FC it's as simple as that.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Lighthouse

The mistakes in tactics or errors in formation are pretty obvious. At least after the fact. But Parker strikes me as a coach still very much taking the gamble with a few things and trying out a few others. I don't mind that. As usual we can be frustrating and annoying to watch when it isn't going well. But again I make the point about this not being a great squad. It has good elements but a fair few poor ones as well. 

But drawing away from home with ten men for most of the game. Then losing 3-0 at home to a very average side. Well it is interesting. I simply have no idea what will happen next. However this idea of sacking him and bringing in managers and coaches who are just ill suited to us. Coaches who like to build from the back and have a strong defence. Well we did that last time and it was horrible.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WindyCity

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on November 06, 2019, 09:06:06 PM
We've all too often been let down by individual errors rather than tactical errors, which isn't to say there's been no tactical errors. It falls under his remit to coach players and motivate players to cut out the errors. It's also the job of the players to take responsibility for that themselves.  All in all I think we need to give him till Christmas so long as we're in or around the play offs and I think he can and will do better.  Is anyone with me?

From a tactical standpoint, I don't think Parker knows what to do with all of this possession.  Does not know how to convert into "quality" chances.  This remains a consistent problem/issue throughout the first 15 games, with just a couple of exceptions.

I would agree with you that Xmas time might be the proper "wait time" regarding his future at FFC.