119 (72.1%)
Slavisa Jokanovic
39 (23.6%)
Other
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Voting closed: November 15, 2019, 09:46:45 AM

HV71

For me it has to be Roy. Every team has its special games that live long in the memory, but this was a whole campaign against all odds. It makes me sad to see how far we've fallen since then when we could really have progressed. Slav has been a shining light in that darkness, and a bright one at that but I fear we're a long way from the end of the tunnel.

Sadly I'll drink to that. What a wasted opportunity.

Could not agree more - what a crazy waste

gezkc

Quote from: HV71 on November 08, 2019, 11:56:08 PM
For me it has to be Roy. Every team has its special games that live long in the memory, but this was a whole campaign against all odds. It makes me sad to see how far we've fallen since then when we could really have progressed. Slav has been a shining light in that darkness, and a bright one at that but I fear we're a long way from the end of the tunnel.

Sadly I'll drink to that. What a wasted opportunity.

Could not agree more - what a crazy waste

+1

Cambridge Pete

Best Subject/Post in a long time, especially for us old timers. No animosity from anyone just good reasons as one poster said they all deserve a mention. Thanks. No for today COYW, Who knows in a few years it would be good to see Parker up there

The Rational Fan

I am really surprised how few votes Malcolm MacDonald and Micky Adams have got, they improved Fulham when no financial backing was available.

Twig

Quote from: Cambridge Pete on November 09, 2019, 10:33:34 AM
Best Subject/Post in a long time, especially for us old timers. No animosity from anyone just good reasons as one poster said they all deserve a mention. Thanks. No for today COYW, Who knows in a few years it would be good to see Parker up there

I agree with you, it's refreshing to participate in a thread where there is no animosity. Now then whose opinion can I insult......?????

Spirit of 2000

Currently Roy from Tigana then Slav, keep the votes coming and your reasons/stories behind them.

bog

Being an old timer I find this hard to narrow down to 3. In fact I cannot. So my 6 who gave us wonderful good times.

Bedford Jezzard.
Alec Stock
Malcolm Macdonald
Jean Tigana
Roy Hodgson
Slavisa Jochanovic   
Sorry 7
Mickey Adams

092.gif

SP

Had to give Ray Lew a vote as it didn't seem right he was on null points.

ealex40

Mark Hughes spent one season with us and we finished eighth. Too bad he was too ambitious to stay with us.

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: ealex40 on November 11, 2019, 06:24:31 AM
Mark Hughes spent one season with us and we finished eighth. Too bad he was too ambitious to stay with us.

Actually considered adding Hughes but he was never very popular here despite the relative success of his season in charge largely due to the comments of the club not matching his ambitions, plus it was widely reported that the senior players went to him half way through the season when we were doing badly and pressured him to change tactics, which he did with a dramatic upturn in results.

So based on the above & the very short tenure I didn't believe Hughes a worthy addition to the list.

toshes mate

I am not surprised that Hodgson is so far ahead of all the rest on the basis of his accomplishments at FFC but he didn't get a vote from me. 

I took the word 'greatest' to be indicative of the kind of football played and so voted for Macdonald, Tigana and Jokanovic, who all made football seem so easy on both pitch and the eye from rather different collections of players.  I didn't think I'd see the expansive attacking play of Macdonald with such an average collection of players again (and I mean no disrespect to any in the team since they were all heroes of mine at the time), but Jokanovic proved me wrong.  Tigana was something else entirely producing breathtaking spectacle with some quite exceptional talent.  I was also tempted by Micky Adams and would love to have seen how he would have managed with better resources and was really sorry to see him go.  Interesting thread and vote.     

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: toshes mate on November 12, 2019, 10:32:51 AM
I am not surprised that Hodgson is so far ahead of all the rest on the basis of his accomplishments at FFC but he didn't get a vote from me. 

I took the word 'greatest' to be indicative of the kind of football played and so voted for Macdonald, Tigana and Jokanovic, who all made football seem so easy on both pitch and the eye from rather different collections of players.  I didn't think I'd see the expansive attacking play of Macdonald with such an average collection of players again (and I mean no disrespect to any in the team since they were all heroes of mine at the time), but Jokanovic proved me wrong.  Tigana was something else entirely producing breathtaking spectacle with some quite exceptional talent.  I was also tempted by Micky Adams and would love to have seen how he would have managed with better resources and was really sorry to see him go.  Interesting thread and vote.   

Whilst I voted Roy on the basis of him being technically our most successful manager ever - he was 2nd behind Tigana in my personal list. As you've alluded to, our style under Hodgson was much more attrition based, taking a less than spectacular group of players and organising them into a very drilled, together unit. an art in itself and shouldn't take away from Roy's achievements. In fact our Europa cup run saw us play a more expansive type of football probably due to the nature of the contest as opposed to the league. However if you're going to factor in success and style, it was always Tigana for me as I've never seen a Fulham side play such breath-taking & devastating pure football then the season when we destroyed the championship. That side was in my opinion the finest that has ever graced this division - better still than the Wolves side that won it in our last promotion campaign. 

Count Flapula

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 12, 2019, 09:09:22 AM
Quote from: ealex40 on November 11, 2019, 06:24:31 AM

Actually considered adding Hughes but he was never very popular here despite the relative success of his season in charge largely due to the comments of the club not matching his ambitions, plus it was widely reported that the senior players went to him half way through the season when we were doing badly and pressured him to change tactics, which he did with a dramatic upturn in results.

So based on the above & the very short tenure I didn't believe Hughes a worthy addition to the list.

Absolutely my thoughts on Hughes - under his tactics we were 19th and the upturn came (according to Hangeland) when the senior players went into MH and urged him to revert to the style, shape and formation used by Roy. Effectively Roy got us to 8th that season and who knows where we would have got if we played those tactics from the start.

I went with Roy as top dog with Tigana and my second pick and although I never witnessed the Jezzard team I pick him as took the heading as "greatest manager" literally - his achievements of getting us to the top division for the first time in our history, and keeping us there his entire tenure - could not be ignored so I had pay my respect to that achievement.

Whilst Roy's teams were largely functional as opposed to swashbuckling, it would be entirely unfair to class the iconic wins against Juventus (from 1-4 down) and Man City away from 0-2 down as anything other than a thrilling spectacle. For me, the win against defending champions Shakhtar Donetsk (one of the best teams I've seen at the Cottage) was still mystifying and a real point of pride in my time as a Fulham supporter - let alone the numerous wins against top Prem teams and the entire "great escape" run from March onwards. Some of the most exciting periods as a Fulham supporter ever.

Saying that, I have absolutely no argument with anyone who selected MM / Mickey Adams /  Slav for football style / massively overperforming and turning around our club at a tough time / mixture of pure football quality with tangible results  and taking us to Wembley and winning.

A really great thread that only highlights and recnogises some truly good times for this club.

toshes mate

Agree with the comments about Roy Hodgson's style and accomplishments and how he found a way to produce what was probably the most successful Fulham side ever.  He kind of reignited something that had been missing at FFC for quite a while by making us a very solid and competitive PL outfit with a capacity to take Europe by storm. Had there been four votes then I couldn't have left Hodgson out. 

Likewise, had there been five votes then Micky Adams would have been there for me too.  I also saw the back end of the Bedford Jezzard era at a time when management kind of went over my head as a kid and the players of the time were everything, but his teams were very good to watch, and six votes would have got him in too.

But Spirit2000 was very cute in limiting us to three which then becomes the task of 'who do you leave out'.  A good old fashioned conundrum and no surprise to me that Hodgson is so far in front.   

epsomraver

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on November 08, 2019, 11:13:19 AM
Roy Hodgson, Jean Tigana and Micky Adams.
same here, all for different reasons

Logicalman

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 08, 2019, 10:13:14 PM
Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 08, 2019, 10:06:42 PM
...and Dodgin

Junior or Senior?

I had the same thought, perhaps both?

I recall a match program from the Fulham/Bristol Rovers game where the front cover had a cartoon of Both Sr. & Jr., with the quote "Honour Thy Father" I believe it was. 

Interesting fact is they both joined Fulham and Bristol, in the same year as manager and both left the clubs in the same year, also Jr played under his dad for two different clubs.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

bobbo

I did tigana but I was tossing a coin between him and woy .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Spirit of 2000

Anyone who's not voted as yet - just 2 days to get your votes in, anyone wanting to give a story or two behind your choices - these would be most welcome. COYW!

Sting of the North

For me it's quite easy to pick three. I am too young to have followed the team before Micky Adams, and even then I followed the team only through the early iterations of a website which basically only gave results and scorers.

The first team I got to watch with some regularity was Tigana's. From my sample of Fulham teams, we have never looked quite as talented again.

Roy gave us the most success, starting with the great escape and going on the a Europa League final. Amazing really. Not the most exciting football, but very competent and more importantly it worked. Also enjoy it extra much because of Roy's background of coaching in Sweden.

Joka's team is probably the one I enjoyed the most (maybe because it is closer in time, I don't know). Couple this with Wembley, which is my single best Fulham memory so far (even beats the Juventus game in my book).

I am glad I didn't have to pick just one.