119 (72.1%)
Slavisa Jokanovic
39 (23.6%)
Other
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Voting closed: November 15, 2019, 09:46:45 AM

General

Just voted and saw slavisa, Jean tigana and Roy were currently leading.

In my era there's little competition to those three - a notable mention to Kevin Keegan.

That said, whilst I loved the championship team under slavisa I voted for micky Adams instead. I know it may seem strange but based on what it know of the circumstances I think it's a greater feat. Plus something feels underfulfilled from the slavisa era - and when he got the chance to prove himself with new players and the premier league,  although I put blame on tony Khan for buying recklessly and disrupting the team spirit at the club, ultimately slavisa didn't succeed where I wanted him to and where, for a club that deserves to be in the premiership, was needed and that'll always leave a bittersweet taste.

Statto

@General

Agree, Adams should certainly trump Jokanovic and I think the difference in votes is just down to less people on here having been supporters in Adams' era. The Adams team cost next to nothing (I think Adams' budget was literally £0) he won that division (and yes we did win it despite what the table says) through pure coaching, ie tactics and motivation. I'm one of Jokanovic's biggest fans too, but his achievement of finishing 3rd with one of the economically strongest teams in the division is frankly incomparable.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Statto on November 13, 2019, 09:47:51 AM
@General

Agree, Adams should certainly trump Jokanovic and I think the difference in votes is just down to less people on here having been supporters in Adams' era. The Adams team cost next to nothing (I think Adams' budget was literally £0) he won that division (and yes we did win it despite what the table says) through pure coaching, ie tactics and motivation. I'm one of Jokanovic's biggest fans too, but his achievement of finishing 3rd with one of the economically strongest teams in the division is frankly incomparable.

Agree with you both and voted Adams over Jokanovic.

That 1996/97 side -
Mark Walton, Matt Lawrence, Paul Watson, Danny Cullip, Mark Blake, Simon Morgan, Glenn Cockerill, Richard Carpenter, Rob Scott, Darren Freeman, Mick Conroy - with also special mention to Rodney McAree, Nick Cusack, Paul Brooker, Terry Angus, Charlie Hartfield, Christer Warren, Robbie Herrera, Martin Thomas.

What an admirable bunch of fighters brilliantly marshalled by Adams. I think we got Darren Freeman, Paul Watson & Richard Carpenter for a combined fee of £50k from Gillingham in the same deal, Matty Lawrence from Wycombe & Danny Cullip From Oxford signed for peanuts - these signings by Adams were genius and all contributed massively. Morgs was the star - having been brought in for a whopping £102k (by Alan Dicks?) Conroy the goal machine already on the books having been signed from Preston NE and not starting his FFC career too well, but Adams (and don't forget his sidekick Alan Cork) got him firing. The camaraderie on the terrace, the bond between that side and the fans - the rollercoaster built on team spirit & togetherness from a squad assembled for very little is something that I think we'll never see again or at least would be incredibly hard to replicate, especially given how football has changed (not for the better) over the last 20 years or so.

Spirit of 2000

Last few hours to vote if anyone hasn't yet.

Spirit of 2000

Poll now closed after a week.

Clear winner of peoples favourite/greatest Fulham manager being ROY HODGSON with 119 votes, 45 clear of 2nd.

2nd - Jean Tigana with 74 taking almost twice as many votes as 3rd place shows the top 2 were pretty clear.

3rd - Slavisa Jokanovic with 39 votes in 3rd.

The rest in order as follows :

Malcolm MacDonald 29
Micky Adams 26
Alec Stock 11
Bedford Jezzard 7
Kevin Keegan 7
Chris Coleman 2
Ray Lewington 1
(Others 2)

Woolly Mammoth

Jean Tiganas Man Management technique was mediocre to say the least, as was his team talks. He was lucky to have been able to buy some very good players with an open cheque book. The Premier League found him out and identified Fulhams soft underbelly. Of course I acknowledge there was wonderful football that was easy on the eye, and most certainly worth the admission fee. His system of play and the players he brought in was sublime.
Unfortunately every silver lining has a cloud. Nevertheless, fortunately every cloud has a silver lining, Fulham sacked him before he took us down, and Cookie took the reigns and saved us from relegation that year.
It's just my humble opinion. I do not think he deserves second place, as his Management was only really tested in the Premier where he failed miserably and reminded me of a cardboard cut out in the dugout, he treated Peski and Geoff Horsfield abysmally as well as others very poorly. His coaching in the Championship was good and he got results because of the wonderful players he bought suited his style, he got found out in the Premier and his very poor man Management and invisible team talks caught up with him.
When I think of what Malcolm Macdonald and Micky Adams went through, I place them above Tigana despite his achievements, and the proof of the pudding is that when he got dismissed unceremoniously by Alfayed, he skunked off to his Apple Orchards before joining a Monastery.
For some reason the football world more or less turned their backs on him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Spirit of 2000

Micky Adams had a great goals per game ratio when he played for us as well. I think something like 9 in 29 games, which wasn't half bad for an aging left back/left side midfielder.

ScalleysDad

I could not split the footballing assessment but loved the Supermac era and as all my mates were going to Chelski, Palace and the Hammers I felt a bit 'spesh' even then. My three come purely out of the good times factor. Thus
Tigana as that tied in with my home and away attendance peak, Mickey Adams as that was part of an important chapter and again I managed to witness much of that and then I'm torn but Hodgson gets it as by then I had Scalley for company and our first ST's for a while.
The worst three would be interesting.

Note your opening line Woolly. I have a similar gut feeling regarding a more recent incumbent but it's a popular one. I hear what you say about Tigana but the football was something else. Others have had big budget squads and been mediocre.

Rats I did'nt see the closing post.

Cornishnick

Without the momentum and togetherness that Micky Adams gave us, the whole Al Fayed era may not have happened

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 15, 2019, 12:29:00 PM
Jean Tiganas Man Management technique was mediocre to say the least, as was his team talks. He was lucky to have been able to buy some very good players with an open cheque book. The Premier League found him out and identified Fulhams soft underbelly. Of course I acknowledge there was wonderful football that was easy on the eye, and most certainly worth the admission fee. His system of play and the players he brought in was sublime.
Unfortunately every silver lining has a cloud. Nevertheless, fortunately every cloud has a silver lining, Fulham sacked him before he took us down, and Cookie took the reigns and saved us from relegation that year.
It's just my humble opinion. I do not think he deserves second place, as his Management was only really tested in the Premier where he failed miserably and reminded me of a cardboard cut out in the dugout, he treated Peski and Geoff Horsfield abysmally as well as others very poorly. His coaching in the Championship was good and he got results because of the wonderful players he bought suited his style, he got found out in the Premier and his very poor man Management and invisible team talks caught up with him.
When I think of what Malcolm Macdonald and Micky Adams went through, I place them above Tigana despite his achievements, and the proof of the pudding is that when he got dismissed unceremoniously by Alfayed, he skunked off to his Apple Orchards before joining a Monastery.
For some reason the football world more or less turned their backs on him.

Jean Tigana had an enormous budget relative to his competitors, considering player inflation, he spend the equivalent of £65m to get promoted, then £205m in our first promotion season and still only got 44 points. As a DOF, one could argue Tony Khan (spending £140m over two seasons getting 26 points in the EPL) was better than Jean Tigana (spending £270m over two seasons getting 44 points in the EPL). Both need to improve significantly.

As for great managers: Malcolm Macdonald had the kind of budget that if mismanaged could get you relegated in to Four Division but he nearly got us in the top division; while Micky Adams had the kind of budget that unless managed well could get you relegated out of Four Division, but he got promoted into the Third Division. As fans we owe a lot to both managers and no one could ever say they expected FFC to do better with the money spent under those managers.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 16, 2019, 10:05:16 AM
Jean Tigana had an enormous budget relative to his competitors, considering player inflation, he spend the equivalent of £65m to get promoted, then £205m in our first promotion season and still only got 44 points. As a DOF, one could argue Tony Khan (spending £140m over two seasons getting 26 points in the EPL) was better than Jean Tigana (spending £270m over two seasons getting 44 points in the EPL). Both need to improve significantly.

So you're saying player inflation since then has been 500%? And we spent the equivalent of £70m on Marlet, £30m on Malbranque, £45m on VDS etc? How is that calculated?

It seems high.

If you were, for example, to use the British or World record fees as a metric, they've only increased by around 200% (from Veron £28m and Zidane €78m in 2001, to Pogba £89m and Neymar €220 today) which would mean Tigana spent much less than TK, even considering inflation.