watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v QPR

Started by Riversider, November 08, 2019, 01:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

Tim Ream has been selected for the USMNT squad for the upcoming games against Canada (Home) and Cuba (Away)
The Cuba game is being played in the early hours of Wednesday 20th November in The Cayman Islands, this almost certainly rules Ream out of the QPR game,
With that in mind, who would you play alongside Mawson that night and would be your back 4 to stop the likes of Wells and Hugill ?

SuffolkWhite

Do we have  choice? MLM, there is no one else, also if Bryan is out then surely Odoi will e left back!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Riversider

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on November 08, 2019, 01:56:46 PM
Do we have  choice? MLM, there is no one else, also if Bryan is out then surely Odoi will e left back!

It's scary isn't it ? 😣

SuffolkWhite

Very very, McDonald maybe? unless we have an up and coming youngster?
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

filham

That is an nasty problem for Parker but one best put to one side until after the Birmingham match.

Is there any news of the injury to Bryan.

love4ffc

Agree that Ream seems to require extra time to recover from international breaks. 

So, if Ream plays both matches and is given that extra bit of rest, what does Scotty do with the back four?  Hate to say it but could see Steven Sess, Mawson, Odoi and MLM as your back four. 

:doh:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Statto

I've never understood the frequency and conviction with which people say Mcdonald should play CB. Personally I think if we're going to play people totally out of position, Mitrovic would be a better CB than Mcdonald, then we could play Reid up front.

My choice would be (L-R)
Bryan - Mawson - Odoi - Sessegnon

Ream is not covering himself in glory here. Since he can clearly no longer manage both international and club football, he really should do the decent thing and retire from international football.

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on November 08, 2019, 05:32:46 PM
I've never understood the frequency and conviction with which people say Mcdonald should play CB. Personally I think if we're going to play people totally out of position, Mitrovic would be a better CB than Mcdonald, then we could play Reid up front.

My choice would be (L-R)
Bryan - Mawson - Odoi - Sessegnon

Ream is not covering himself in glory here. Since he can clearly no longer manage both international and club football, he really should do the decent thing and retire from international football.

Hugill will fancy his chances up against Odoi

Statto

Quote from: Riversider on November 08, 2019, 08:38:54 PM

Oh please stop sh1tting yourself over QPR's crap players. Hugill is Matt Smith without the brains FFS. Personally, the thought of him v Odoi makes me think of Michael Caine beating up that fat bloke in Get Carter. "You're a big man but you're in bad shape. For me it's a full-time job."

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 08, 2019, 09:12:53 PM

Oh please stop sh1tting yourself over QPR's crap players. Hugill is Matt Smith without the brains FFS. Personally, the thought of him v Odoi makes me think of Michael Caine beating up that fat bloke in Get Carter. "You're a big man but you're in bad shape. For me it's a full-time job."

Picking our two best centre-backs Mawson and Ream didn't work last year (3.0 goals/game) and isn't working this year (1.2 goals/game).
Instead we should choose a centre back combination, and as I like statistics, the 26 Games that we had a back four in the EPL is a good start.

EPL CB Pairing with a Back Four
Ream & MLM   4 games   0.8 goals/game (very good)
Odoi & MLM   2 games   1.5 goals/game
Mawson & Odoi    6 games   2.0 goals/game (OK)
Chambers & CB 4 games    2.0 goals/game
Ream & Nordveidt 4 games 2.50 goals/game (poor)
Ream & Mawson 2 games   3.0 goals/game
Ream & Odoi   3 games    3.3 goals/game (very poor)
Recovering Mawson & MLM   1 games   4.0 goals/game

Pairings that have worked
Ream & MLM (successful 4 games)
Mawson & Odoi (successful 6 games)
Ream & Odoi (successful in EFL only)
Odoi & MLM (successful 2 games)
Mawson & MLM (poor but haven't played together much)

Conclusion
Given "all the centre-backs partnerships" that have worked have included either Odoi or MLM, then we should choice one of Odoi or MLM.
I would chose Odoi (over MLM) as he looks more in-form, and the other centre-back probably should be Mawson (due to Ream's international duty).

Rest of the Back Four
Given S.Sess is probably on international duty, I would play Christie and MLM as the full-back giving us the same back four (Christie, Odoi, Mawson, MLM) as Slavisa's last game in-charge (i.e. Liverpool - A) and Raneri's first three games in-charge (i.e. Southampton - H, Chelsea -A and Leceister - H). Not a great back four, but if we can keep Liverpool to two goals per game with those four, then surely those four can keep the Hoops to one goal only.

ScalleysDad

So are very slowly, and finally, getting to the conclusion that this squad is a). Not as good as we would like and b). It lacks depth with quality in key areas.
With only two players almost certainly missing, assuming Sess is available, we are trying to stick plasters on gaping holes. Glass half full though it could be time for Christie to step up, Odoi to make a statement, MLM to prove he is not pants and Mawson to get those leadership qualities out of the closet. Kmac may have to dust those boots off as well.
Blast! I just dropped the blinking glass!

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on November 08, 2019, 09:12:53 PM

We're in real trouble if Parker has as limited knowledge as you and is as equally complacent.

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 09, 2019, 10:36:15 AM
So are very slowly, and finally, getting to the conclusion that this squad is a). Not as good as we would like

Lol, keep banging that same old drum. In fairness I've seen plenty of opinions and rumours on here transformed into perceived fact, purely through frequent and relentless repetition

ScalleysDad

Quote from: Statto on November 09, 2019, 10:58:29 AM
So are very slowly, and finally, getting to the conclusion that this squad is a). Not as good as we would like

Lol, keep banging that same old drum. In fairness I've seen plenty of opinions and rumours on here transformed into perceived fact, purely through frequent and relentless repetition

Cozy Powell step aside. Put some ear defenders on if you don't like it because it is unfortunately true.

The Rational Fan

Fulham is valued as the most expensive squad in the Championship for one reason, experts believe the other DOF's want our players and willing to pay good money for them. According to transfermarket, other DOFs would prefer seven players Bryan, Arter, Cairney, Reid, Knockaert, Mitro and Cav over anyone at Birmingham or QPR.

It's not just me, but the recruitment department of every team in the Championship that rates our players. This season, we may have recruited poorly, but we cannot say our recruitment department are the most stupid, because every championship team wanted these players and still does.

The problem is when all that talent plays together, its not very good. Frankly, I don't know why that is, but I know its Parker job to know why and fix it.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 09, 2019, 12:12:35 PM

Fulham is valued as the most expensive squad in the Championship for one reason, experts believe the other DOF's want our players and willing to pay good money for them. According to transfermarket, other DOFs would prefer seven players Bryan, Arter, Cairney, Reid, Knockaert, Mitro and Cav over anyone at Birmingham or QPR.

It's not just me, but the recruitment department of every team in the Championship that rates our players. This season, we may have recruited poorly, but we cannot say our recruitment department are the most stupid, because every championship team wanted these players and still does.

The problem is when all that talent plays together, its not very good. Frankly, I don't know why that is, but I know its Parker job to know why and fix it.

I am surprised Betts does not make the list for a Championship squad but I am not all surprised only Bryan from a defensive group of six players makes it. I have Sess in the nurturing camp at the moment and I know transfermarket assessments can be subjective but it appears to be saying we are up to five or six players short of the squad the bookies and pundits looked at pre season. That would be a tough task for anyone but as you say it is currently up to SP to find a way.

Mike the White

Maybe we could check on young Fossey's fitness. He was beginning to look pretty good before his injury.  Is he back for the under 23's??

Statto

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 09, 2019, 12:53:57 PM
it appears to be saying we are up to five or six players short of the squad the bookies and pundits looked at pre season.

No, it is only saying that if you think even the worst player in our team needs to be better than the best player in every other team. That's not how it works, which is why we were indeed "he squad the bookies and pundits looked at pre season". This squad certainly wasn't predicted to finish 8th.