News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Life Is Full Of Surprises(Train Home Last Night)

Started by Mince n Tatties, September 28, 2019, 06:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

On the train home last night to Suffolk, a chap sat across the aisle had a familiar look,I kept glancing over,he must have thought I was a weirdo lol.
All of a sudden it clicked,he was my best pal growing up as kids back in the early sixties in Herne Bay.
I kind of shouted out"Its you Tarzan" the name he had as a kid as he was great at making tree swings with a rope and tyre we all used to swing on as kids.
He then recognized me and got a bit emotional (50) years since I moved away from Kent to Newmarket as a kid.
We got chatting about old times,and what he was doing up this way,he actually lives now with his wife in a village 6 miles outside Newmarket for last 8 years.
So will be seeing a bit more of him in the future(he was a good player in our made up team Reculver Rovers back in the day.
Its a small old world sometimes.

Slaphead in Qatar

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on September 28, 2019, 07:16:17 AM
Nice story Mince. Fate played its hand.

Yes....What drew my attention to him was he has like some people have a wine mark on their face,he has a small line mark above his eye.

Dodgin

Many a nice holiday with my parents in a caravan down in Reculver, took a trip there this year. Nothing like old friends, still meet up with two classmates, we met at the age of seven. I'm eightyone on Monday

bog

What an amazing coincidence Mince. I was looking at my old primary school photos taken in 1956 (aged 11) near Park Royal and wonder where all the others are now, so I can understand the emotion. I am just down the coast from Reculver in Birchington and often attempt the cycle ride along to the coast path to them towers....but not today it is blowing rather hard...as I soon would be....

092.gif   

mrmicawbers

Quote from: bog on September 28, 2019, 08:57:52 AM
What an amazing coincidence Mince. I was looking at my old primary school photos taken in 1956 (aged 11) near Park Royal and wonder where all the others are now, so I can understand the emotion. I am just down the coast from Reculver in Birchington and often attempt the cycle ride along to the coast path to them towers....but not today it is blowing rather hard...as I soon would be....

092.gif   
Must be a few of us Fulham boys down your way.My Cousin lives in Birchington my brother in Westgate and I have recently moved to Tankerton.

bog

Quote from: mrmicawbers on September 28, 2019, 09:37:55 AM
Quote from: bog on September 28, 2019, 08:57:52 AM

092.gif   
Must be a few of us Fulham boys down your way.My Cousin lives in Birchington my brother in Westgate and I have recently moved to Tankerton.

Sounds like we are the East Kent Brotherhood! The area bedecked in black and white!   049:gif

filham

Nice story Mince.
I do still exchange Christmas cards with one old school friend (a Chelsea fan) but have lost touch with all others, don't think I would recognise any of them now.

Dodger53

Quote from: Dodgin on September 28, 2019, 07:52:42 AM
Many a nice holiday with my parents in a caravan down in Reculver, took a trip there this year. Nothing like old friends, still meet up with two classmates, we met at the age of seven. I'm eightyone on Monday
I looked up the Reculver Towers after reading this and while visiting my step son and his partner last week, who have moved to Deal, took the opportunity to visit them. Stunning especially with the sun on them. Thank you for mentioning them.

jarv

Similar, but younger. I was about 40. Waiting for my bag at Heathrow and another chap nearby looked at me as I was looking at him. We glanced away, then straight back at each other. I said "I know you", he said the same and I recognised his voice "Bill" I said, he responded and we chatted for a long time. I played football with him at school. Always nice to have a chance meeting and find out about others.

YankeeJim

I was an ammo Sargent in the Northern part of Vietnam in 1968. I had my guys loading stuff to deliver to the howitzers, standing in the middle of the ammo dump so I could supervise my guys when a 2 1/3 ton truck races into the dump and almost hits me. I jumped out of the way and described the drivers mother to him in so many words. He jumped out and before we could have a go, I realized it was a fellow from my home town. We ended up having a big hug and some remembrances. Oddly, I never saw him again.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Jims Dentist

FARMER BOB lives in Whitstable and rarely misses a game home or away

filham

Funny how a lot of us have spread out from Fulham to different parts of the country but have clung on to our football team,year after year, after year.

davew

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 28, 2019, 07:35:41 AM

Yes....What drew my attention to him was he has like some people have a wine mark on their face,he has a small line mark above his eye.

Don´t bring me into it Mince stating wine marks (lol), nice story though, I never knew you were from Kent, not my part though!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: davew on November 10, 2019, 08:57:10 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on September 28, 2019, 07:35:41 AM

Don´t bring me into it Mince stating wine marks (lol), nice story though, I never knew you were from Kent, not my part though!

Suffolk now for many a year,but will always be a Kent
Boy at Heart.
I remember when we used to have the best cricket side led by Mike Denness,no more I'm afraid.