https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well done Cyrus Christie

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, November 09, 2019, 05:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Dodgin on November 10, 2019, 08:03:00 AM
I gave him MOTM vote, just for the pressure he may well have been under

Rodak and Christie played so well in the two positions (GK and RB) that we most need a settled player, not proven #1s yet but definitely deserve to start a few games and very solid reserves. If they continue to play this well, the winter transfer budget maybe spent in other positions.

Classic94

Fair play to Cyrus. He's had a rough last 12 months, but put in a commendable performance when called upon. Hopefully he can make the RB spot his this season.

MJG

All the clamour for a RB in the summer and even this coming January completely miis the fact... Even if you don't like it.... That on paper we have Odoi, Sess, Christie, Fossey and even Reed who can  all play RB.
There is and was no way we are signing another unless at least one leaves. Christie is good enough for Championship for sure. He was signed when it was clear Fredericks was leaving or might even have left that January.
I think Fredericks having Christie right behind him actually improved Fredericks, his performances had to be good as he knew he had a challenge. Without it and a big money move to WHU on the horizon he could well have coasted the last few months.
Just the views of a long term fan

S.F.Sorrow

Agreed, great performance from Christie yesterday. He SHOULD be a decent RB at this level. It will take more than 55 mins to convince me but yesterday looked like a big step in the right direction.

Riverside

Did Odoi move to left back ?
How did he look ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filham

Well if now we all give Christie a good welcome against QPR there is no knowing what he may achieve, could prove to be the ideal replacement for Fredericks.

Mickeyboro

Not even in the squad. Not put on when Bryan was injured. A harsh price for a poor 45 mins.

Should be back on the horse. He is our future, Odoi and Christie arent.

toshes mate

The guy has the character to take as difficult an opportunity as he could probably have had, in circumstances that, perhaps, gave him the chance to be the assured professional he is.  He nailed the chance and has thus proven that he has something more to offer than his competitors for the right back spot.  I am really pleased that a corner has been turned for Cyrus and look forward to seeing him make the most of what was a very assured performance yesterday by getting ever better as his appearances mount up.  It'll be interesting to see how Parker sets the team up for the local derby given injuries, suspensions etc., and the general adversity of the times may be just what the doctor ordered for him, his players and his coaches.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on November 10, 2019, 10:17:19 AM
All the clamour for a RB in the summer and even this coming January completely miis the fact... Even if you don't like it.... That on paper we have Odoi, Sess, Christie, Fossey and even Reed who can  all play RB.
There is and was no way we are signing another unless at least one leaves.

Sorry but can you name a single position where we don't have that level of cover if you include two youth players and another player out of position?

When you also factor in that the best player in that list, Odoi, is also backup for two other positions (CB and LB) it is still probably the position where we have (perhaps joint) least cover.

With that said I agree with your fundamental point we may not need to bring in a RB, but only because I don't think we need to bring any new players at all beyond Hector (unless others leave as you say)

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 10, 2019, 10:42:42 AM

Sorry but can you name a single position where we don't have that level of cover if you include two youth players and another player out of position?

When you also factor in that the best player in that list, Odoi, is also backup for two other positions (CB and LB) it is still probably the position where we have (perhaps joint) least cover.

With that said I agree with your fundamental point we may not need to bring in a RB, but only because I don't think we need to bring any new players at all beyond Hector (unless others leave as you say)
I think you can count Odoi and Christie as not starters in the sense of picking Parkers preferred XI of all fit. Hence to bring in yrt another doesn't make sense for RB. Every outfield player should be able to cover any number of positions and we have cover in everyone. I'd say RB is possibly the one position where we have more than any other.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on November 10, 2019, 10:51:02 AM

I think you can count Odoi and Christie as not starters in the sense of picking Parkers preferred XI of all fit. Hence to bring in yrt another doesn't make sense for RB. Every outfield player should be able to cover any number of positions and we have cover in everyone. I'd say RB is possibly the one position where we have more than any other.

Christie not a starter after that solid performance really, he'd keep Fredericks out of the team if he played that well every week.

FFC1987

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 10, 2019, 11:44:31 AM

Christie not a starter after that solid performance really, he'd keep Fredericks out of the team if he played that well every week.

Sorry to disagree, but I thought he was good, but that's over egging it somewhat. He wasn't better than Fredericks on a 6/10 performance.

MJG

Quote from: FFC1987 on November 10, 2019, 11:56:54 AM

Sorry to disagree, but I thought he was good, but that's over egging it somewhat. He wasn't better than Fredericks on a 6/10 performance.
TRF I don't believe if everyone was fit and Parker had to pick what he considered his best XI that Christie would be a starter. I didn't say he would not start next game or deserved not to.

Statto

I think you can count Odoi and Christie as not starters in the sense of picking Parkers preferred XI of all fit.

Well if that means our first choice is Sessegnon then it surely remains our weakest position because he would certainly be the weakest player in our current best XI (assuming Rodak maintains yesterday's level of performance) 

To reiterate, I'm not saying we need to bring anyone in but if you told me our January budget was say £5m and we could only bring in one player, I'd probably want us to go for a right back

LittleErn

For me, the main problem with Christie was always his positional play and a tendency to stand off his winger, allowing time for a cross. (That might not have been such a problem if we'd had solid aerial defence at CB). His attacking contribution was never in doubt, although his crosses were not always productive. Yesterday he showed improvement in all of those aspects. If he can maintain that improvement then he will be our best RB.

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on November 10, 2019, 12:12:24 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on November 10, 2019, 11:56:54 AM

TRF I don't believe if everyone was fit and Parker had to pick what he considered his best XI that Christie would be a starter. I didn't say he would not start next game or deserved not to.

I was just disagreeing that even on yesterdays performance, he'd keep Freds out the team.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: JimOG on November 10, 2019, 08:41:57 AM
Christie is very, very quick and just might be our new Fredericks. What is often missed is that he's also quite tall 6ft 2ins - taller than Ream and with pace to burn. But yes there's a slip waiting to happen too...

You can't have seen much of him play if you think he's the new Fredericks

Statto

Quote from: ffcthereligion on November 10, 2019, 01:21:22 PM
Quote from: JimOG on November 10, 2019, 08:41:57 AM
Christie is very, very quick and just might be our new Fredericks. What is often missed is that he's also quite tall 6ft 2ins - taller than Ream and with pace to burn. But yes there's a slip waiting to happen too...

You can't have seen much of him play if you think he's the new Fredericks

Fredericks was crap for two years before becoming useful so actually I think Christie could be following his path exactly !!

Steven Ageroad

Perhaps Christie played well because it was an away game and he didn't get grumbles from the supporters, which he normally gets from the Craven Cottage moaners, when his name was announced!!

The Rational Fan

Statto, I can name several positions we don't have that level of quality cover (GK - Rodak & Betts, LB - Bryan only, #8 box to box CM - Stefjo (Arter a better #6) and LW Kebano only (as Knockaert and Cav are better on the RW). Where is the depth in these positions?