https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Luciano Vietto

Started by bornafulhamfan, November 10, 2019, 09:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: MJG on November 14, 2019, 01:08:16 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 12:02:06 PM

If you bring in a player who's already had two or three good seasons in the PL/Championship that risk is substantially zero

We have done that and players have tanked and thats only in the last 4 - 5 years as well.
You almost have to break this argument down into signings from Home and Abroad and then did they do good or bad.
Also as already mentioned a lot of overseas players who come in are possibly cheaper anyway. Maybe 3 over seas players on 10-15K a week with the hope one works is a better gamble than 40K on one player from the championship or PL

But did they fail for the reasons I mentioned, eg, not liking the English weather?

No, they failed for other reasons, whether that's not suiting our tactics, depression... whatever

I'm not saying domestic transfers are risk free (this is addressed to Dr Quinzel, who also misunderstood my post) just that with foreign signings, there are additional risks (those I mentioned) that you don't get with domestic signings, making foreign signings inherently riskier overall.

I agree they're cheaper but that's the obvious quid pro quo of them being riskier. I also agree with Dr Quinzel that ultimately "It's all about balance"

Artful Dodger

I watched Benfica v Beleneses about 3 years ago and our ex unfit, overweight, missing £11m Greek, Mr Mitroglou was playing for Benfica and got a hat trick. If I said Beleneses were League 1 standard, that may be unfair to a lot of League 1 clubs (and they were at home) so Vietto looking good in the Portuguese league against a team that isnt Benfica or Porto, isn't saying much. As has been said, he had some nice touches during his time with us and almost looked like a good player but in a team that struggled anyway, he was always up against it. A bit like Bryan Ruiz who went to Sporting, it will probably suit him.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 01:21:43 PM

If you bring in a player who's already had two or three good seasons in the PL/Championship that risk is substantially zero

We have done that and players have tanked and thats only in the last 4 - 5 years as well.
You almost have to break this argument down into signings from Home and Abroad and then did they do good or bad.
Also as already mentioned a lot of overseas players who come in are possibly cheaper anyway. Maybe 3 over seas players on 10-15K a week with the hope one works is a better gamble than 40K on one player from the championship or PL

But did they fail for the reasons I mentioned, eg, not liking the English weather?

No, they failed for other reasons, whether that's not suiting our tactics, depression... whatever

I'm not saying domestic transfers are risk free (this is addressed to Dr Quinzel, who also misunderstood my post) just that with foreign signings, there are additional risks (those I mentioned) that you don't get with domestic signings, making foreign signings inherently riskier overall.

I agree they're cheaper but that's the obvious quid pro quo of them being riskier. I also agree with Dr Quinzel that ultimately "It's all about balance"
All signings are a gamble. Players who think are wrong for us turn out great and others who you think are heading for greatness bomb big time. Look at a few years ago when we signed a whole gang of players over a season and a half who all had the 'british' background so many favour here. vast mnajorty are still leaving a smell behind havinh left long ago.

You can hopefully mitigate the risks by going for known players with known backgrounds (known by who is the question) but even that has drawbacks.

Stearman for me is a prime example. Loved at Wolves, Captain of his side, fans didnt want to see him go. Bloody dreadful for us. Goes away and gets back in the PL...whats that all about?

Im sure he fits 100% the kind of player almost everyone would want, but he stiffed.
Just the views of a long term fan

Artful Dodger

Quote from: MJG on November 14, 2019, 02:51:09 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 01:21:43 PM

All signings are a gamble. Players who think are wrong for us turn out great and others who you think are heading for greatness bomb big time. Look at a few years ago when we signed a whole gang of players over a season and a half who all had the 'british' background so many favour here. vast mnajorty are still leaving a smell behind havinh left long ago.

You can hopefully mitigate the risks by going for known players with known backgrounds (known by who is the question) but even that has drawbacks.

Stearman for me is a prime example. Loved at Wolves, Captain of his side, fans didnt want to see him go. Bloody dreadful for us. Goes away and gets back in the PL...whats that all about?

Im sure he fits 100% the kind of player almost everyone would want, but he stiffed.
Talking of which, I was watching MOTD the other week and this marauding full back was playing for Brighton and looked great after playing a lovely ball up the line for the winger to set up the winner in the last minute. Turns out it was Dan Burn....had to check what I'd been drinking! He did ok for us....but Premier league full back....it questions everything I know about football  :doh:
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

WindyCity

Quote from: Barrett487 on November 12, 2019, 08:56:11 PM
Sorry, but you have to perform for your club.... it doesn't matter retrospectively if you perform elsewhere.

Good luck to him, but while he was a walk-on for us i suspect his mind was on playing elsewhere.

This!  I really don't care about past history and rep nor post history successes.  All that matters is what he did for FFC.  Quite frankly, mostly unimpressive, to say the least......