watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Luciano Vietto

Started by bornafulhamfan, November 10, 2019, 09:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornafulhamfan

Hi everyone! I haven't posted anything in a while because I've been overwhelmed at work and just couldn't find time to post here which is a bummer. Today I watched a Portuguese league match between Sporting and Belenenses which ended 2-0 and our former player Vietto was immense. Not only did he score both goals (first goal was really nice too), but his overall performance was great. He was everywhere on the pitch and  had a lot of nice dribbles. Imo he always seemed to have a lot of potential and after watching this game I kind of regret how easily we got rid of him. I also think that he would suit Jokanovic's football the best and that Ranieri was part of the problem (P. S. I don't remember why he didn't feature much with Parker as our head coach).

That's it for my first post back here, I hope I'll find more time to post here in the future!

P. S. Fabri played just one game this season and conceded three goals, while Seri, as mentioned on this board is having a terrible season in Turkey.

Milo

There's a name I never thought I'd hear again. Vietto that is, not you!

General

I too rated vietto more than he got credit for. Think he was a useful player and had more to offer us than we saw.

aaronmcguigan

With regards to players like Fabri and Seri struggling out on loan, i ask myself are they doing everything they possibly can to impress us as their parent club or any other club in terms of potential suitors?

Those two are going on to have a second struggling season in Seris situation and a second season sitting on a bench bar 3 games across 16 months..

I'd be desperate for game time there or elsewhere to put myself in consideration or in the shop window, as both players have undoubted talent but they're wasting the supposed prime in their careers

The Rational Fan

All of the transfers bought in the last two week of the summer of 2018 could still go on to have promising careers including Rico, TFM, Chambers, Mawson, Bryan, Anguissa, Viejo and Mitro.

The players we bought earlier in the summer of 2018 have been fair more questioned including Fabri, MLM, Seri and Schullre; all with more experience but surprisingly seem past their best.

Woolly Mammoth

The jury is out for me with regards to Vietto, did not really see enough of him to make a sound judgement. What I did see was him getting knocked off the ball easy, needs to improve his upper body strength for our League, plenty of room for improvement but I wouldn't write him off, certain better than both Fonte and Jozabed who couldn't tackle a boiled egg between them, and neither of those two got their shorts dirty ever.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

No, sorry I think we have now realised that we need Championship proven material. Classy looking players with good Stats. from foreign leagues are not going to cut the mustard in the Championship without a lot of adaptation.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on November 12, 2019, 06:40:07 PM

No, sorry I think we have now realised that we need Championship proven material. Classy looking players with good Stats. from foreign leagues are not going to cut the mustard in the Championship without a lot of adaptation.

The Wolves team was made up of players like this, as was the Norwich side last years, as was the Watford side before that - Brentford constantly recruit foreign players based off a stats based model and they are always there or there abouts. Forest doing well this year as well..

Championship experience is imo a myth, good footballers are good footballers - yes the Championship is more physical than some European leagues but surely the amount of success foreign footballers have had in this league shows you champ experience isn't a necessity
STH H3

Barrett487

Sorry, but you have to perform for your club.... it doesn't matter retrospectively if you perform elsewhere.

Good luck to him, but while he was a walk-on for us i suspect his mind was on playing elsewhere.

Woolly Mammoth

I agree, Fulham especially have had too many failures for comfort, and in doing so have lost money over it. Although our crack recruitment unit also have to take responsibility registering so much deadwood from abroad, and many of them milky characters who are mentally weak and won't make an effort to settle.
There are plenty of players in the Football League to surf through that are a far less risk, and better characters.   

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

He failed for us, albeit he showed signs of talent. Some players just aren't suited to the Premier League.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 13, 2019, 01:16:49 PM

I agree, Fulham especially have had too many failures for comfort, and in doing so have lost money over it. Although our crack recruitment unit also have to take responsibility registering so much deadwood from abroad, and many of them milky characters who are mentally weak and won't make an effort to settle.
There are plenty of players in the Football League to surf through that are a far less risk, and better characters.   

Totally agree character and personality doen't  register on stats.
I have heard that we now do stats on  lower leagues, if true thank God.
We have missed out on so many bargains that other clubs have picked up in the recent past, only to pay big bucks for lesser effective players.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Jims Dentist on November 13, 2019, 07:56:36 PM

Totally agree character and personality doen't  register on stats.
I have heard that we now do stats on  lower leagues, if true thank God.
We have missed out on so many bargains that other clubs have picked up in the recent past, only to pay big bucks for lesser effective players.

Spot on J D

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: @jolslover on November 12, 2019, 07:25:46 PM

The Wolves team was made up of players like this, as was the Norwich side last years, as was the Watford side before that - Brentford constantly recruit foreign players based off a stats based model and they are always there or there abouts. Forest doing well this year as well..

Championship experience is imo a myth, good footballers are good footballers - yes the Championship is more physical than some European leagues but surely the amount of success foreign footballers have had in this league shows you champ experience isn't a necessity

Top Championship proven players (like Britt Assombalonga for £15m) are insanely expensive and not value for money, we can afford them this season only but Brentford cannot. If you cannot afford top championship players, better to buy top foreign players than average championship players.

MJG

Quote from: @jolslover on November 12, 2019, 07:25:46 PM

Its stone age thinking I agree.
Just the views of a long term fan

Dr Quinzel

Experience in a league is what people say, when what they really should say or consider is more so suitability to play within a league ie do they as a player have the required ability and attributes, physical, mental and technical to make it.

I thought Vietto had the technique, but lacked heavily in the other two areas.

Also, it's worth considering when people say experience in the league, it's possibly because they want instant success and if a player has done it before, then often you're going to do well (or at least should!) buying in proven players (if you can afford to). A lot of fans don't trust those in charge to go and find new players to the league that will do well, or at least not in the way Brentford etc do.

Statto

Ultimately it's about reducing certain risks IMO

If you bring in a player from a foreign league there's always a risk that they won't adapt to the pace of the English league, the climate, homesickness, the language barrier, the food, the general culture here etc. Say for the sake of argument that risk is 50%, ie, half of those players will fail for some reason

If you bring in a player who's already had two or three good seasons in the PL/Championship that risk is substantially zero

So yes it's fine to gamble on a few foreign imports but lots of them are going to fail, no matter how good they are

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 12:02:06 PM
Ultimately it's about reducing certain risks IMO

If you bring in a player from a foreign league there's always a risk that they won't adapt to the pace of the English league, the climate, homesickness, the language barrier, the food, the general culture here etc. Say for the sake of argument that risk is 50%, ie, half of those players will fail for some reason

If you bring in a player who's already had two or three good seasons in the PL/Championship that risk is substantially zero

So yes it's fine to gamble on a few foreign imports but lots of them are going to fail, no matter how good they are

My feelings entirely, it's risk assessment and dam common sense which you will not find on a computer. But I am sure the snowflake brigade will be fretting whilst donning their tin hats and putting on their mittens and complaining about how hard done by these soft centred over payed players who don't give a monkeys are returned from whence they came because they are unsuitable.

Never forget your Roots.

Dr Quinzel

It's all about balance. I wouldn't say it's zero risk to sign players who have been there and done it, as they'll typically be older (sometimes a good thing too) and in a new team and it doesn't always click. They cost more too. A blend of players who have shown their success in a league before, mixed with shrewd signings who will fit and bobs your uncle. Some have successfully done this - we'll see if we managed it this season. More than ever before under TK we've gone for the experienced players over imports.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 12:02:06 PM

We have done that and players have tanked and thats only in the last 4 - 5 years as well.
You almost have to break this argument down into signings from Home and Abroad and then did they do good or bad.
Also as already mentioned a lot of overseas players who come in are possibly cheaper anyway. Maybe 3 over seas players on 10-15K a week with the hope one works is a better gamble than 40K on one player from the championship or PL
Just the views of a long term fan