more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Origin of the Nicknames

Started by webelieve, November 11, 2019, 10:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webelieve

Hello there,

I'm from abroad, and I've recently started to really follow football (or soccer, as we call it here).
I have some questions about Fulham F.C.'s nicknames... how and when did Fulham F.C.'s nicknames such as the Lilywhites, the Whites, and the Cottagers originate?
Sorry for such a basic question, but I'd love to know more about the team. Thanks!

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

ScalleysDad

In recent years when my daughter used to accompany me the team were The Mighty Whites or Total Shite. You won't find that on the website.

Welcome to the board.

ALG01

the cottagers is the proper nickname for obvious reasons and whites too. But lily whites I always thought was a spurs thing and adopted by others that play in white. I always thought bristil rovers being called the Gas or the less loved Pirates was very strange.

Jim©

webelieve

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies!

So I take it Fulham F.C.'s nicknames like "the Whites" and "the Lily Whites" come from the color of the club's home shirt, correct?

If so, I'm just curious why the "the Whites" and "the Lily Whites" are Fulham F.C.'s nicknames when the the club's home shirt seems more like black and white to me.

RaySmith

I remember when Palace were The Glaziers - the first  pro football club i went to, with my parents, who supported them because they were the local club where we lived in Tulse hill, SE London, and their badge was of the old Crystal Palace. They are now the Eagles, of course, and  an eagle is their badge.

Chelsea were the Pensioners then too, now the Blues.

But you never hear anyone use these  nicknames.

At least Fulham have continuity in still being referred to as the Cottagers - though I've never heard an actual Fulham fan use this  name, and we still play at the Cottage, which itself is still  a  much loved feature of the ground.

RaySmith

Quote from: Jim© on November 11, 2019, 03:38:53 PM
Pretty good piece on here about nicknames.
https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/club-nicknames/
Charlton one is odd if true?

Thanks for this list.

I think the Addicks, re Charlton, is to do with  the the Athletic in their name.

Red Robins, obvious I suppose.

The Valiants - because they play at the Valley?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: webelieve on November 13, 2019, 12:26:59 AM
Hi all,

Thank you for the replies!

So I take it Fulham F.C.'s nicknames like "the Whites" and "the Lily Whites" come from the color of the club's home shirt, correct?

If so, I'm just curious why the "the Whites" and "the Lily Whites" are Fulham F.C.'s nicknames when the the club's home shirt seems more like black and white to me.
https://www.fulhamfc.com/history/timeline/1903

This helps explain.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

MikeW

Quote from: ScalleysDad on November 11, 2019, 03:10:32 PM
In recent years when my daughter used to accompany me the team were The Mighty Whites or Total Shite. You won't find that on the website.

Welcome to the board.

Love it.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

MikeW

Quote from: ALG01 on November 11, 2019, 03:17:15 PM
the cottagers is the proper nickname for obvious reasons and whites too. But lily whites I always thought was a spurs thing and adopted by others that play in white. I always thought bristil rovers being called the Gas or the less loved Pirates was very strange.

I think The Gas comes from when they played at Eastville (now IKEA) on the side of the M32 going into the City there was a large Gasometer adjacent to the ground.  Not sure of The Pirates connection but its long been part of their badge.  There was even a bloke in full 'pirate' kit who attended and stood in the crowd.  The sword of course was confiscated!

toshes mate

Quote from: MikeW on November 13, 2019, 10:51:31 AM
I think The Gas comes from when they played at Eastville (now IKEA) on the side of the M32 going into the City there was a large Gasometer adjacent to the ground.  Not sure of The Pirates connection but its long been part of their badge.  There was even a bloke in full 'pirate' kit who attended and stood in the crowd.  The sword of course was confiscated!
Sword?  It was a cutlass surely ....

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Jim© on November 11, 2019, 03:38:53 PM
Pretty good piece on here about nicknames.
https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/club-nicknames/
Charlton one is odd if true?
I don't agree with the leeds one. Surely that's just "dirty leeds"?
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Holders

Few nicknames are regularly used by fans but two that I've regularly heard are "we're the canaries" by Norwich and "seagulls" by Brighton. The latter came about in direct response to annoying chants of the former at a particular game - it didn't exist before that.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

MikeW

Quote from: toshes mate on November 13, 2019, 12:45:53 PM
Quote from: MikeW on November 13, 2019, 10:51:31 AM
Sword?  It was a cutlass surely ....

Yes, stand corrected

webelieve

Sorry, bumping this up...

Thank you all for your wonderful replies.

Would anybody know when people started calling Fulham F.C. "the Whites" or "the Lilywhites"? Are we talking about pre-WWII? Post-war? 1960's, 1970's? Genuinely curious. Thank you!

Jamie88

Quote from: webelieve on November 17, 2019, 12:38:37 PM
Sorry, bumping this up...

Thank you all for your wonderful replies.

Would anybody know when people started calling Fulham F.C. "the Whites" or "the Lilywhites"? Are we talking about pre-WWII? Post-war? 1960's, 1970's? Genuinely curious. Thank you!

They would have been called the Whites as early as 1903 when they first wore white