watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Colin's gone

Started by PhilEsh, November 11, 2019, 05:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carborundum

Put me down as an admirer.  He just knows how to get the best out of his players and that includes some quite unusual ones.  No-one ever got Taraabt to play the way he did.  Along the way he's provided a lot of amusement.  The  Cardiff Wolves game of a couple of seasons ago, where he piled a heap of four-letter invective upon the Wolves manager, then having calmed down a little denounced him in the post match interview as having "No class".  About the funniest ten minutes I can remember.

Spirit of 2000

A brilliant villain for us to love to hate and us such football the poorer without him as love or hate the bloke he's a character and the game has less and less of those these days.

His success managerial wise was impressive to be fair even if his chosen style of play was less than pleasing to watch, but if you had a modest budget he was a bloke who would get limited players fit & organised and playing with passion. Outside football I've heard many an interview with him & him co-hosting on the radio & he's not actually a w*nker as a person & does have a decent sense of humour. Enjoy your retirement Colin!

Logicalman

Quote from: KJS on November 11, 2019, 09:47:42 PM
Quote from: St Eve on November 11, 2019, 09:31:00 PM
I thought he was a good manager. Managed to make bad teams and crappy players good. Had loads of passion as well. As manger of Sheffield United he only got relegated because West Ham cheated. I can't stand Cardiff but he certainly did a great job for them

Colin stated that Sheff Utd got relegated because Rafa fielded a weak team v FFC that is why a lot of Fulham fans hate the knob!

.. and there I was thinking it was because he plucks his eyebrows!   :dft011:

.. mate of mine reckons Boro will take him once Woodgate gets the shove due to lack of success.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Andy S

A good hearted man and more than decent manager

bobbo

He's notorious for his very one sided views, but nobody can deny his success along the way.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Andy S on November 12, 2019, 04:28:49 PM
A good hearted man and more than decent manager

Good hearted? Not the word I'd use.

Stevieboy

Love him or loathe him....another character gone from the game.....would love to see a football show with him, Tony Pullis and Ian Holloway......would be a riot :wine: 064.gif 064.gif :beer:

Twig

Quote from: Stevieboy on November 13, 2019, 11:09:20 AM
Love him or loathe him....another character gone from the game.....would love to see a football show with him, Tony Pullis and Ian Holloway......would be a riot :wine: 064.gif 064.gif :beer:

Agreed, sport needs characters. Look at how boring and conventional many golfers, tennis players, racing drivers etc. are today in comparison with thirty years ago.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: Twig on November 13, 2019, 12:00:09 PM

Agreed, sport needs characters. Look at how boring and conventional many golfers, tennis players, racing drivers etc. are today in comparison with thirty years ago.

At risk of sounding an old git, it's a reflection of life in general. The work place used to be full of characters and you used to be able to have a proper laugh in the office. That's been ironed out of people, everything is now more corporate & soulless - it's a malaise that's infected football badly but it's everywhere if you look.

toshes mate

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 13, 2019, 12:11:18 PM

At risk of sounding an old git, it's a reflection of life in general. The work place used to be full of characters and you used to be able to have a proper laugh in the office. That's been ironed out of people, everything is now more corporate & soulless - it's a malaise that's infected football badly but it's everywhere if you look.
Absolutely concur with this set of exchanges and our apparent current inability or refusal to understand differences.  The mavericks, the eccentrics and those who have a personality that is not dictated by the consensus of what is the correct way for a human being to be, are all human beings who just happen to not want to conform to popular misconceptions.   They have always been there and without them life and the world would be an utterly boring and dreadful place.   Like them or loathe them they are what makes us a fascinating species.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: toshes mate on November 13, 2019, 12:32:26 PM
Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on November 13, 2019, 12:11:18 PM

Absolutely concur with this set of exchanges and our apparent current inability or refusal to understand differences.  The mavericks, the eccentrics and those who have a personality that is not dictated by the consensus of what is the correct way for a human being to be, are all human beings who just happen to not want to conform to popular misconceptions.   They have always been there and without them life and the world would be an utterly boring and dreadful place.   Like them or loathe them they are what makes us a fascinating species.

Fair enough, I prefer managers not to be t***s, but I understand some people like the love to hate people.

Woolly Mammoth

One mans hero is another mans terrorist, live and let live. Colin did a good job at a lot of clubs who were in a difficult position, whether you like him or loathe him, there are certain high profile managers I am sure would not have wanted to get their hands dirty doing the jobs he did, and certainly would not do it without a cheque book to use as a crutch.
So Neil Warnock has had a successful career when you consider his achievements with unfancied clubs.
There is more to a Football Manager than just continueing to spend someone else's money to buy success. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 13, 2019, 01:37:38 PM
One mans hero is another mans terrorist, live and let live. Colin did a good job at a lot of clubs who were in a difficult position, whether you like him or loathe him, there are certain high profile managers I am sure would not have wanted to get their hands dirty doing the jobs he did, and certainly would not do it without a cheque book to use as a crutch.
So Neil Warnock has had a successful career when you consider his achievements with unfancied clubs.
There is more to a Football Manager than just continueing to spend someone else's money to buy success. 

👍

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Southcoastffc

Be careful what you wish for. Felix Magath is a 'character'.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Stef 73

Might end up at Barnsley until end of season. 
Former player too

Carborundum

Extraordinary place this forum.  Leave this thread for a day or two, come back and we're examining the nature of human reactions to difference through the lens of Neil Warnock.  I'm in full agreement with most of it too.

Wonder if he will take a shine to Cauley Woodrow if Barnsley rumour proves true.

Mince n Tatties

Says he wants to be  Hearts manager,has a house
not far from Edinburgh.

Asotosyios

Neil Harris in as his replacement - talk about an uninspiring appointment.

Jims Dentist

IMHO Neil Harris has done a terrific job for Millwall, with very limited resources.
However, every manager has a shelf life at such clubs.
I think he will do well at Cardiff, his recruitment record is pretty good.