watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR, VAR

Started by Spirit of 2000, November 23, 2019, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit of 2000

What an absolute joke it is. Ruining football. Anyone see the decision to disallow Sterling's goal vs Chelsea?? How is that clear and obvious?? In fact I still think in freeze frame that its a goal. Get rid of this ridiculous system from our game.

Stevieboy

It seems that a human is still making the final decision!
Like you I thought the VAR view confirmed a goal, definitely a blue arm in line with Sterling's nostril hair!!
It's making the Premier League a joke......

fulhamben

Just need to go back to day light, and all this goes away
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

SG

Quote from: fulhamben on November 23, 2019, 08:49:20 PM
Just need to go back to day light, and all this goes away
Agreed. If they amended the law so that there had to be daylight between forward and last defender all this would go away. Crazy scenario at the moment

Twig

I hate VAR in its current form.  Sending the signal to some bloke near Heathrow to adjudicate is a farce. Just have it pitch side and allow the ref to consult it when necessary.  It's exacerbating the erosion of referees' authority at a time when the opposite is required.

Woolly Mammoth

VAR in its current form is a massive own goal for football, and ruining the game.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bobbo

IMO. It desperately needs scrapping right now. Don't agree on daylight but linos and refs at prem level have to make a fitness criteria .  So realistically they should get it wrong very often.You'll get the odd tight mistake but as has been said many times before over a season it will even itself out.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

fulhamben

Quote from: bobbo on November 23, 2019, 09:48:57 PM
IMO. It desperately needs scrapping right now. Don't agree on daylight but linos and refs at prem level have to make a fitness criteria .  So realistically they should get it wrong very often.You'll get the odd tight mistake but as has been said many times before over a season it will even itself out.
not being funny but being as fit as mo farah wouldn't have helped the Lino in this case. The reason I say go back to day light is that it makes it easier for the attacking to judge the line as it gives him the width of a human as error. Because as it is now, they have to judge the exact horizontal line of the pitch, and be a millimetre behind the furthest point of the defender, whilst also watching the ball. It's impossible
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Sgt Fulham

It is awful and won't get better. A disease on the beautiful game. I'd love it if it were to go away.

kiwian

And there would never have been 50+ years of controversy about that goal in the WC final eh, how boring would it have been!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Mince n Tatties

Liverpool are loving it,another decision went their way yesterday, nothing wrong with the Palace goal just before half time.
Wonder what Cloughie and Fergie would have made of it all.

toshes mate

Quote from: fulhamben on November 23, 2019, 10:45:40 PM
Not being funny but being as fit as mo farah wouldn't have helped the Lino in this case. The reason I say go back to day light is that it makes it easier for the attacking to judge the line as it gives him the width of a human as error. Because as it is now, they have to judge the exact horizontal line of the pitch, and be a millimetre behind the furthest point of the defender, whilst also watching the ball. It's impossible
I agree that VAR cannot make any better a judgement on offside decisions than the on field officials.  For starters is the moment the ball is kicked which used to be the assistant listening for the sound of the ball being kicked, and a split second can mean players have moved millimeters before the sound registers.  VAR is just as arbitrary if not more so since a millimeter cannot be differentiated by a TV screen pixel if the same one pixel on the screen refers to a space of several millimeters (which it will do so in all but very close up views) of reality.  Likewise for all other decisions made in two dimensional fashion,  The human eye may err but it does so much more readily in two dimensional translations.

The real reason for VAR is that football, IMO, in common with most things these days, has no real leaders but a lot of 'yes men' in key positions including the role of officialdom.  Football needs more characters on the pitch and they falling by the wayside fast.

bog

Just keep it for ball over the goal line. They all cried out for technology to end errors and now it is causing chaos.  :doh:

092.gif   

fcfulham55

It was 100% A goal.  VAR has not been fair to Man City.  For a while
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Whitesideup

Absolute joke of a decision. We seem to have lost sight of the purpose of the offside law when it was introduced, so I am in favour of "clear daylight" or something else to stop goals being disallowed on the basis of a millimetre. In cricket they allow for a small margin of error, so if the ball is deemed to be clipping the stumps by a very fine margin the benefit of doubt is given to the batsman. In football we seem to be doing the reverse. To disallow a goal for such a margin is beyond stupid, and when I was watching it, I thought Sterling was at least level and so the decision itself was wrong. Who are the jokers making these crass decisions? They have to be senior referees. They should be named and shamed and made to explain their stupid decisions. A bunch of no doubt highly paid clowns.

bobbo

Quote from: fulhamben on November 23, 2019, 10:45:40 PM
Quote from: bobbo on November 23, 2019, 09:48:57 PM
not being funny but being as fit as mo farah wouldn't have helped the Lino in this case. The reason I say go back to day light is that it makes it easier for the attacking to judge the line as it gives him the width of a human as error. Because as it is now, they have to judge the exact horizontal line of the pitch, and be a millimetre behind the furthest point of the defender, whilst also watching the ball. It's impossible
ben I see you point and understand why you make it . But as a linesman ( and I was hundreds of times and ref) if your level with the last defender-as they should be-any of the opponents colour beyond that list defender and they're off. Don't need daylight.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Nick Bateman

When one compares the VAR intervention in disallowing Palace's goal V Liverpool for the slightest of nudges and the HUGE shove on Jones which was allowed for Sheffield V Utd today, one sees the inconsitency, however, the one consistency is that the FA (Sky) is in of favour Liverpool and contrarily Manchester Utd is not.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Woolly Mammoth

The shove on Jones was ok, the other guy. turned out to be stronger in the upper body, Jones did not complain. Jones should have rode it.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Logicalman

Whilst I agree with the reasoning behind VAR, as with the goal line technology & 'watches', unlike the latter, the implementation of the former has been the main issue and very poorly implemented on a number of fronts.

I'm not certain what the exact criteria is for VAR interference adjudication in any one instance, but whereby most fans know the rules of engagement for footie, the similar rules for VAR have not been fully explained so as to make things clearer, and so the every day fan is left wondering both WHY VAR got involved, and then whether their actual decision was correct.

The idea of 'daylight' is the best we have had, and so to see VAR having to draw 'supposed' lines at angles, and then determine, given a further angle, if that line was breached, tends to indicate the decision is a 'too close to call' e.g. not daylight, and so should then not be called.

I firmly believe VAR should be used ONLY at the request of the ref for any decision, and not automatically. If the ref gets it wrong, then so be it, but he has to be certain, and can use VAR if he has any real doubts. That would clear up the majority of these issues. Lets be mindful that VAR decisions can both allow and disallow goals, so it does swing both ways.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.