more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Genoa in for Mitrovic?

Started by Friendsoffulham, November 12, 2019, 06:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Woolly Mammoth

Do not despair, there is more chance of a one legged man winning a bum kicking contest, than them prising Mitro away.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 10:00:46 AM
Quote from: Whitesideup on November 14, 2019, 09:40:33 AM
Cearney I think is good enough to interest PL clubs, Bryan - less sure,  Mawson? I think not, unless we start seeing the form we heard about at Swansea. Defending as he did against Hull will be enough for any half-decent club to think twice, PL or Championship.

I knew this sort of comment would follow from someone. Personally I think there's a good chance of one of the shrewder clubs looking at Mawson's pre-FFC performances, relative youth (he's probably still 3-4 years off peaking) and raw attributes, and realising that with decent coaching in a decent team, he could easily be as good as Harry Maguire. I know there are plenty of clubs that just throw money at the latest form player but some are more discerning and intelligent. As noted by another poster on another thread, in recent years, defenders' performances in a Fulham shirt have borne no correlation with their ability.   

He will never be as good as Maguire at being a ball playing centre back. Maguire has been excellent for a long time, even going back to his Sheff Utd days. I saw him against us in the cup.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 10:00:46 AM
Quote from: Whitesideup on November 14, 2019, 09:40:33 AM
Cearney I think is good enough to interest PL clubs, Bryan - less sure,  Mawson? I think not, unless we start seeing the form we heard about at Swansea. Defending as he did against Hull will be enough for any half-decent club to think twice, PL or Championship.

I knew this sort of comment would follow from someone. Personally I think there's a good chance of one of the shrewder clubs looking at Mawson's pre-FFC performances, relative youth (he's probably still 3-4 years off peaking) and raw attributes, and realising that with decent coaching in a decent team, he could easily be as good as Harry Maguire. I know there are plenty of clubs that just throw money at the latest form player but some are more discerning and intelligent. As noted by another poster on another thread, in recent years, defenders' performances in a Fulham shirt have borne no correlation with their ability.   

"I knew this kind of comment would come from someone" - kind of condescending, just because someone has the temerity to disagree with your valuation of Mawson, a contradictory view that is based on his performances for Fulham, with more of the supporters I know  being like me, disappointed that he has so far not lived up to his reputation at Swansea. We still hope to be pleasantly surprised and see him recover the form and authority that meant he was regarded as a good, or at least reasonable, Premier League centre-half. But his strength must be raw defending as suggesting he is a good ball-playing centre-half is a bit more than a stretch from what I've seen.
And yes, Statto, I know you disagree.

Statto

Can I take it the last two posters also feel that Calum Chambers will never be a decent PL defender?

Because "from what I've seen" of him in a Fulham shirt (as a defender) he is woeful

love4ffc

Quote from: bog on November 14, 2019, 01:37:33 PM
They can bog off!  :031:

Agree with Bog.  They can  :031: off! 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on November 14, 2019, 06:50:12 PM
Can I take it the last two posters also feel that Calum Chambers will never be a decent PL defender?

Because "from what I've seen" of him in a Fulham shirt (as a defender) he is woeful
Yes, I know you disagree. Trouble is that Mawson has been with us almost a year and a half, (with injuries, I know) playing in the same position.  Chambers had a couple of poor games and then did well, even very well, for us in central midfield. The point I have made is that PL clubs would be wary of Mawson's form, and therefore unlikely to put in much of an offer, if any. I also indicated that we hope his form recovers, which is of course not only desirable, but possible.

Clearly we disagree on how well he has been playing for us, or you think that it is the fault of the rest of the team that he is not looking at his best. Whichever. But disagree we do.

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 16, 2019, 12:58:36 PM

Yes, I know you disagree. Trouble is that Mawson has been with us almost a year and a half, (with injuries, I know) playing in the same position.  Chambers had a couple of poor games and then did well, even very well, for us in central midfield. The point I have made is that PL clubs would be wary of Mawson's form, and therefore unlikely to put in much of an offer, if any. I also indicated that we hope his form recovers, which is of course not only desirable, but possible.

Clearly we disagree on how well he has been playing for us, or you think that it is the fault of the rest of the team that he is not looking at his best. Whichever. But disagree we do.

Considering you've managed to say the word "disagree" 5 times in 2 posts, it's ironic that most of the points you mention aren't the thing we disagree on.

I don't disagree on how well/poorly Mawson's been playing, or to the extent I might, it's not something we've explored, or need to explore, in this thread. The material point is that I admit PL clubs wouldn't be interested him based purely on his recent performances.

Similarly I happen to agree Chambers was half decent in midfield - but I wasn't talking about his ability as a midfielder, was I.

The point we disagree on is whether PL clubs would "be wary of" (your opinion) or prepared to overlook (my opinion) Mawson's recent performances. You're yet to explain or justify your position on that.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on November 16, 2019, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: Whitesideup on November 16, 2019, 12:58:36 PM

Considering you've managed to say the word "disagree" 5 times in 2 posts, it's ironic that most of the points you mention aren't the thing we disagree on.

I don't disagree on how well/poorly Mawson's been playing, or to the extent I might, it's not something we've explored, or need to explore, in this thread. The material point is that I admit PL clubs wouldn't be interested him based purely on his recent performances.

Similarly I happen to agree Chambers was half decent in midfield - but I wasn't talking about his ability as a midfielder, was I.

The point we disagree on is whether PL clubs would "be wary of" (your opinion) or prepared to overlook (my opinion) Mawson's recent performances. You're yet to explain or justify your position on that.
An extended debate  .... I don't think that PL clubs would overlook the last year and a half as a temporary loss of form and therefore would not have him high on their list of transfer targets, if on the list at all. I trust that explains and justifies my view.

A point I have been making is that we don't have to share views and when it is clear that we don't, then it is best to move on as no argument will convince the other. Good if we can do that without being condescending, something I did object to.

Statto

Quote from: Whitesideup on November 16, 2019, 07:07:53 PM
I don't think that PL clubs would overlook the last year and a half as a temporary loss of form and therefore would not have him high on their list of transfer targets, if on the list at all. I trust that explains and justifies my view.

No, it just repeats it.

An explanation of your point might be, for example, some insight into clubs' typical decision-making process on transfer targets. I'm not an insider or expert, so I'm open-minded as always, but still don't feel you've made any attempt to expand on your first post. 

we don't have to share views and when it is clear that we don't, then it is best to move on as no argument will convince the other.

That conclusion seems premature to me (see above) but you've seemed resigned to it from the start, so fine.

Good if we can do that without being condescending, something I did object to.

In fairness I think that was more a consequence of your own sensitivities than anything I said, but again, fine.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on November 16, 2019, 07:23:21 PM
I don't think that PL clubs would overlook the last year and a half as a temporary loss of form and therefore would not have him high on their list of transfer targets, if on the list at all. I trust that explains and justifies my view.

No, it just repeats it.

An explanation of your point might be, for example, some insight into clubs' typical decision-making process on transfer targets. I'm not an insider or expert, so I'm open-minded as always, but still don't feel you've made any attempt to expand on your first post. 

we don't have to share views and when it is clear that we don't, then it is best to move on as no argument will convince the other.

That conclusion seems premature to me (see above) but you've seemed resigned to it from the start, so fine.

Good if we can do that without being condescending, something I did object to.

In fairness I think that was more a consequence of your own sensitivities than anything I said, but again, fine.
You don't think your original comment was condescending? You don't understand what is a clear statement?   I give up.  You win.  Congratulations. 

FFC1987

I mean, each to their own I suppose. I just don't see Mawson, ever being at the level Maguire is. There's really no evidence to suggest he will be but ample that he isn't. Comparing CV's for instance would indicate one plays for clubs higher up the EPL table and one has more of a record being relegated. I say this as a fan of Mawson.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on November 17, 2019, 08:53:20 PM
I mean, each to their own I suppose. I just don't see Mawson, ever being at the level Maguire is. There's really no evidence to suggest he will be but ample that he isn't. Comparing CV's for instance would indicate one plays for clubs higher up the EPL table and one has more of a record being relegated. I say this as a fan of Mawson.

Well there are plenty on here who think Ryan Sessegnon will be the next Gareth Bale despite the stark differences between their CVs at the same age.

In any case, I've frankly no idea where Mawson's, Maguire's and Sessegon's respective careers will go but I think that a moot point.

To attract the interest of PL clubs in the summer, Mawson doesn't need to be as good as Maguire. He just needs to look as if, with a little confidence and coaching, he could be as good as James Tarkowski or Dan Burn.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 17, 2019, 09:10:41 PM

Well there are plenty on here who think Ryan Sessegnon will be the next Gareth Bale despite the stark differences between their CVs at the same age.

In any case, I've frankly no idea where Mawson's, Maguire's and Sessegon's respective careers will go but I think that a moot point.

To attract the interest of PL clubs in the summer, Mawson doesn't need to be as good as Maguire. He just needs to look as if, with a little confidence and coaching, he could be as good as James Tarkowski or Dan Burn.

Mawson's record for Swansea in the premier league is good and Fulham its not so bad. In Fulham's first 30 games last season, we were better with him (14 points in 14 games) than without him (3 points vs Brighton (H) in 16 games). Some Premier League team maybe looking for a defender that can improve them by 0.81 points per game.

toshes mate

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 18, 2019, 06:32:08 AM
Mawson's record for Swansea in the premier league is good and Fulham its not so bad. In Fulham's first 30 games last season, we were better with him (14 points in 14 games) than without him (3 points vs Brighton (H) in 16 games). Some Premier League team maybe looking for a defender that can improve them by 0.81 points per game.
Meanwhile, and to get back on topic, Mitro's form does not require speculative differences in statistical noise or nonsensical comparisons with others to capture his essence.  He lets his football do the talking.

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on November 17, 2019, 09:10:41 PM

I do agree....I was just replying to the Maguire comparison.

MJG

Lets compare AM & HM on a value and App level

AM
[/url]
[/url]

HM
[/url]
[/url]

Maguire was bobbing along as a plyer notr really much on anyones radar and not even Englands and then bang he is where he is.
Mawson could do the same, it doesnt take much to suddenly be the next best thing.
Just the views of a long term fan

FFC1987

To be honest, I always liked Maguire, much like Tarkowski but that's just me. Mawson I like, and its not out of the realm of possibility that he can hugely improve, but I was mainly suggesting, hes got a long way to go before we start comparing him to the heights of Maguire.

Statto

Quote from: FFC1987 on November 18, 2019, 11:22:30 AM
To be honest, I always liked Maguire, much like Tarkowski but that's just me. Mawson I like, and its not out of the realm of possibility that he can hugely improve, but I was mainly suggesting, hes got a long way to go before we start comparing him to the heights of Maguire.

Maguire comparison was a bit of a throwaway comment tbh... just a way of saying other clubs may see more in Mawson than us
Most on here will judge him against the big price tag, look at how generally poor we were last season and decide he's just a rubbish player
The Rational Fan's and MJG's posts above show how closer analysis could lead to a different view

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on November 18, 2019, 11:58:49 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on November 18, 2019, 11:22:30 AM

Maguire comparison was a bit of a throwaway comment tbh... just a way of saying other clubs may see more in Mawson than us
Most on here will judge him against the big price tag, look at how generally poor we were last season and decide he's just a rubbish player
The Rational Fan's and MJG's posts above show how closer analysis could lead to a different view

Seems fair. If I was to guess, I'd say I don't think Mawson will climb as high but who knows. Players have bucked the trends to elevate/deviate for decades so nothings certain. I just hope he carries on with us and elevates both himself and us to EPL. I still haven't quite seem the form he had at Swansea but hes clearly better than what others have said that you mention, ie overpriced rubbish. That just seems harsh to me.