watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Smalling

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, November 12, 2019, 09:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Absolutely smashing it in Italy with Roma. Good on him.

Thought I'd join in with the past Fulham payers careers
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Twig

..FOF..

Smalling is an example of where out young players can be if they have an attitude like Ryan Sess.

General

Quote from: ..FOF.. on November 13, 2019, 03:37:25 AM
Smalling is an example of where out young players can be if they have an attitude like Ryan Sess.

Slightly odd comparison there, although I do get it. But you're using a player near the beginning of his career to compare attitudes to success when in comparison to a player who's left Fulham to spend a majority of his career playing at man utd and now roma.

Shouldn't it be that Chris smalling is an example of how with the right work ethic and attitude academy players can succeed at the highest level?

..FOF..

Quote from: General on November 13, 2019, 08:52:59 AM
Quote from: ..FOF.. on November 13, 2019, 03:37:25 AM

Slightly odd comparison there, although I do get it. But you're using a player near the beginning of his career to compare attitudes to success when in comparison to a player who's left Fulham to spend a majority of his career playing at man utd and now roma.

Shouldn't it be that Chris smalling is an example of how with the right work ethic and attitude academy players can succeed at the highest level?

Haha, that would be better, Yes!....

I was thinking our current crop in the academy would relate better to Ryan while having an inkling that Smalling was also rising up with a great attitude.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on November 12, 2019, 09:42:52 PM
Absolutely smashing it in Italy with Roma. Good on him.

Thought I'd join in with the past Fulham payers careers

Glad to hear that. He was very good under Van Gaal, very solid. But Mourinho killed his confidence (like all his defenders) and then he never got a look in under Solskjaer. He's a top player, old fashioned style.

KeenCottager

Good on him - always liked Chris

hovewhite

Quality CB and delighted for him even when not playing at man u seemed to be a model proffesional.top man

Fernhurst

Great investment for a club hoping for a crack at The Premier League  :023:
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Dr Quinzel

Was in Rome recently - Smalling is doing very well. Read some say he has been the leagues best defender.

fulhamfever

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on November 14, 2019, 11:09:24 AM
Was in Rome recently - Smalling is doing very well. Read some say he has been the leagues best defender.

HAHA not on the weekend conceded 2 goals against Parma away

Sting of the North

Quote from: fulhamfever on November 14, 2019, 04:07:40 PM
Quote from: Dr Quinzel on November 14, 2019, 11:09:24 AM

HAHA not on the weekend conceded 2 goals against Parma away

Do you mean that Smalling was at fault for the goals? And even so, as per usual it is worth next to nothing to evaluate a player based on a single game.

Ronnief

I met Chris Smalling just after he had signed from Maidstone.  Fulham were playing a pre season friendly at Banstead and he was being looked after by Adam Watts. Both players were injured at the time (so no change there with signing injured players. Smalling was very quiet whilst Watts was quite chatty. Strange how their footballing paths should differ so much with one going on to play for Man U and England to the other who after playing in lower leagues is now without a club.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: Ronnief on November 14, 2019, 05:06:36 PM
I met Chris Smalling just after he had signed from Maidstone.  Fulham were playing a pre season friendly at Banstead and he was being looked after by Adam Watts. Both players were injured at the time (so no change there with signing injured players. Smalling was very quiet whilst Watts was quite chatty. Strange how their footballing paths should differ so much with one going on to play for Man U and England to the other who after playing in lower leagues is now without a club.

I do wonder if this is natural ability or work ethics. Similar argument to nature vs nurture. Both given the same training experiences etc, but with vastly different outcomes.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Dr Quinzel

I have no recollection of Adam Watts AT ALL. Had to google him. I thought it was Konch! There's loads of Fulham pictures of him. Ten years is a long time, but that either passed me by or I buried it very deep at the back of my brain.