watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bob Hardisty

Started by Dodgin, November 12, 2019, 10:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

News tonight on BBC showed an election piece on Bishop Auckland, football was featured with an amateur cup final which once would fill Wembley. On the pitch was a player Bob Hardisty, though not mentioned who in his day was one the most well known players in the country. Pretty sure the older FOFs will remember him.

Oakeshott

I saw Bishop Auckland draw with Corinthian Casuals in the amateur cup final in 1956. I am almost sure Hardisty was playing for BA.

Mince n Tatties

My Dad was at that final,I think I might have the programme somewhere in my vast collection ("when are you clearing all this junk out",that's the wife..lol)
Amateur Final was a big occasion, B Auckland were always a good side,with a big following.
They won the cup 10 times,and losing finalists 8 times.
Now a struggling side in Northern league.

Ruislip Ray

My father played alongside Bob,he said he was not only a top player, but an absolute gentleman.

bog

I have a programme for that match. I have never forgotten Bob with his distinctive balding head. Bishop Auckland were one of the best amateur sides. 100.000 for the Amateur Cup Final. phenomenal.

092.gif

bog

Didn't Warren Bradley play for them? After Munich I think he signed for United. I always rated Bobby Brown who we signed after he played for Barnet in an amateur cup final. Should have been given more time with us.   

Dodgin

Didn't mention that I saw the Pegasus v Bishop Auckland final in 51 went with my dear late brother, I was Twelve years old.

gerrys

I missed out on the 1958 Amateur Cup Final between Woking and Ilford (3-0).......dad didn't think it was safe taking an almost 9 year-old to Wembley with such a big crowd 😂

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I remember Hounslow Town  (who I played a few games for, in the reserves) playing Crook Town in the Amateur cup final
0-0 at Wembley but lost 4-0 in the replay.
Another huge NE team in their day.
Hounslow's ground (Denbigh Road)  is now a housing estate I think
Does anyone remember the black and red woollen 'stick men" souvenirs.
I scored there once for Hanworth Youth Club in the West Middx under 18th final against
Ashford Town.
The Middlesex Chronicle described it as a miss-hit from the half way line.
I remember it as a brilliant lob over the head of the goalkeeper off his line !!
But I would wouldn't I  :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES