watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our best left winger ever?

Started by OldBrownShoe, November 13, 2019, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldBrownShoe

I would plump for Trevor "Tosh" Chamberlain, a wonderful player, with a bullet of a shot, great character and lovely, friendly man. 049:gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

bog

Totally agree OBS but offer Charlie Mitten and Les Barrett.

092.gif

WhiteJC

I'd go for Les Barrett, if only to honour LBNo11  :dft011:

OldBrownShoe

Of course the amazing Les Barrett is probably rated by most as even better. Should have been capped by England.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Badge out, laid off
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
l

OldBrownShoe

Didn't we have some wonderful wingers? And on the right,  Arthur Stevens, Graham Leggat and Jimmy Conway of course though GL could play any position across the front and Jimmy was a talented and very creative midfielder. These, and those mentioned above were always a joy to watch. Those were the days.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Badge out, laid off
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
l

Holders

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on November 13, 2019, 02:25:23 PM
Of course the amazing Les Barrett is probably rated by most as even better. Should have been capped by England.

Only at u-21. I didn't see Tosh till after his heyday but can imagine how good he was.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BigbadBillyMcKinley

That I've seen live, Duff or Boa.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Bassey the warrior

Boa Morte. Malbranque occasionally played there too but he was better in the middle.

toshes mate

As my avatar may suggest 'Tosh' was my earliest FFC hero because he could hit a dead (old, leather, dry or wet) ball harder than anyone I had, and have, ever seen and I seriously wondered about the strength of netting and woodwork at times.  Chamberlain was also a featured name on my mother's side of the family (cousins galore) but nobody with interests in genealogy has ever established a true link with Trevor.  My mother on seeing a newspaper photo once claimed her brother was the spitting image of him when younger but nobody else in the family was quite so convinced.     

At his best Tosh could confound Mr Haynes and that took some doing and he was a really good footballer as well as an all round entertainer.  Graham Leggat remains as the best all round winger I have seen in a Fulham shirt and did, IIRC, play on the left wing on occasions as well as hitting the ball hard and accurately too. Les Barrett was the fastest winger I have seen in a Fulham shirt. 

Pity to put these heroes of mine in any order of merit as they were very different types of players to each other and each talented in their own right.   

colinwhite

has to be Les for me . Boa and duffer were probably better players though.

Woodlawn

Has to be Charlie Mitten for me ,but very closely followed by Les Barrett

Bill2

Peabody

Torn between Charlie Mitten and Tosh.

OldBrownShoe

I remember seeing Tosh take a penalty for the reserves and the opposition keeper literally ran out of the way, before the kick could be taken shouting "I am not about to be gunned down, this is a lovely pitch not the trenches!" :005:

Bobby Charlton always had a reputation for having a very hard shot, but I swear Tosh had a much harder shot.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Badge out, laid off
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
l

Ronnief

My first match was in 1957 and I'm afraid my memory of the players at the time have past me by.  I remember seeing Tosh, who by that time was about to retire. My favourite wingers were Les Barrett and Jimmy Conway. Louis Boa Morte I enjoyed watching as well.  Our current wingers are not up to their standard.

MJG

Just the views of a long term fan

HillingdonFFC

Dads favourite was Les Barrett, I missed him but in my time Boa out on his own , capable of tearing any defence apart on his day. Another one I loved was Clive Walker, when he could be bothered he was different class in that level. Scored one the best unheralded Fulham goals I've ever seen up at Huddersfield

filham

There are a few real Greats to choose from and it is going to be difficult to put them in order.

The Best and Most Deadly - Yes it has to be Boa, A buzz of excitement went around the Cottage crowd when he had the ball in the opposing half and the fear spreading in the opponents defence could be sensed.

The Most Class - That would be Charlie Mitten, the left wing belonged to him and he had a sweet left foot, he brought a lot of 1st division class with him from Man U to the Cottage.

The Most Experienced - When Damien Duff came to the Cottage it was thought he waspast his best butin fact he hade los a shade of pace, The ability to score goals, sense a good pass, excellent ball conttol and work rate were still available to us.
Roy had a master stroke and converted him to an inside out winger and it is hard to remember him having anything but good games.

Young,Fast & Fresh - Les Barret was with us for so long and setup lots of strong partnership, always good and plenty of pace, he was one of our own and a crowd favourite year after year.

The Most Loved     Everyone  loved Tosh, he always delivered what was marked on the tin and oh the power in that left foot and that hat trick in the Newcastle game will never be forgotten.

If I had to choose one of the above just rejuvenated for a single match it would have to be Tosh. You could guarantee 90 minutes full of entertainment with Tosh on th pitch in our colours.

elgreenio

touch my camera through the fence