watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our best left winger ever?

Started by OldBrownShoe, November 13, 2019, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Thought long and hard and just can't pick a winner. Loved all the guys that have been discussed, starting with Tosh but have no memories of Charlie Mitten.
Les, Boa, Tosh, Duffers - Each gave their all for our club - wonderful exponents of their art. We were lucky to witness them.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

bog

If the question was who was the best player who could play on both wings...in fact in any of the front 5 positions.....Graham Leggatt. Our 2nd best ever player.  :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro:

092.gif

RaySmith

I'm lucky enough to have witnessed both Tosh and Les Barrett play, though Tosh was past his  brilliant best, but I still saw  examples of his cannonball shot from distance, that could  score a spectacular goal or hit the corner flag, Johnny Haynes having a go at him for  wasting one of his brilliant twenty yard passes, and his friendly banter with the crowd on the riverside terracing, before and during games - which now seems a real  example of warm. friendly times long past.

Les was brilliant, of course, one of the best I've seen.

I'd also like to put in  mention for the player who was just starting to take Tosh's place on the LW spot when i began watching  in the early 60's, Brian 'Pat'  O'Connell, an unspectacular player,  but who always  did a  solid job for the team.

BestOfBrede

I think I'd have to go with Les Barrett
But honourable mention from me to...

Jimmy Conway, Darren Freeman, Bjarne Goldbaek, Simon Davies, Damien Duff, Boa
I've probably missed a few!

Edit
:doh: only just realised it's only left wingers required!

jarv

I aw both Tosh and LB play. I think LB was a much better footballer so my vote goes to him.  I believe Fulham turned down a huge offer from manure for LB. Had it been accepted he most likely would have played for England I reckon. 

fluffyninja

Clive Walker for me too , not old enough to have seen Tosh , he was 36-37 when he came and that was just about as bad as we ever were around that era but he was still different class at that division 3 level. I say left winger but he seemed to swap wings and play everywhere.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: fluffyninja on November 13, 2019, 10:07:25 PM
Clive Walker for me too , not old enough to have seen Tosh , he was 36-37 when he came and that was just about as bad as we ever were around that era but he was still different class at that division 3 level. I say left winger but he seemed to swap wings and play everywhere.
Scored one of the great Fulham goals in a 1-0 victory at Huddersfield at their old Leeds Road ground.

fcfulham55

Simon Davies. Europa League finalist and player to finish 7th.

No dispute.  Nothing comes close.  Definitely our best ever player to play left wing.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

St Eve

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: BestOfBrede on November 13, 2019, 09:45:45 PM
I think I'd have to go with Les Barrett
But honourable mention from me to...

Jimmy Conway, Darren Freeman, Bjarne Goldbaek, Simon Davies, Damien Duff, Boa
I've probably missed a few!

Edit
:doh: only just realised it's only left wingers required!

Darren Freeman, now there was an anomaly, he must have broken more light bulbs is the HammY and than any other player.
I can't mention DF without one of my all time favourites Paul Brooker (same era and team)
Sadly Paul's career was cut short by injury, but he also (like Boa) created a stir when he got the ball.I include him as a left winger
because he could play anywhere.
Rufus was a great left wing back if that counts :0)
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

f bloke

Not old enough to have seen Tosh but did see Les Barratt.  I first started to watch us as a seven year old in the late 60s and the very young me was a huge fan of his. By the mid seventies, much less so. I found him too predictable, always taking on a player on the outside (the irony being I get immensely frustrated these days with our current inverted wingers being unable to do this) and invariably putting in a weak  cross). So the difficulty for me was not knowing if my early impressions or my last impressions of his later years were the better impressions- it being a bit like not knowing whether Morecombe and Wise were always pish or just pish when they moved across to itv.  Fortunately there is now, thankfully, just enough YouTube footage of him in his prime to favour the early impressions.

For me though it would be between LBM and Clint Dempsey. CD was not a winger as such but generally played wide left. Scoring 20? goals in a season from that position was remarkable- he was also a key part of, in my opinion, our best ever team, the one with a midfield of Murphy, Dembele, Diarra, Dempsey and Duff. Despite being technically very good, he was not as exciting as LBM, the ability to beat a player at pace like LBM gets you out of your seat in a way that reliance on close dribbling skills doesn't quite, but I thought he was excellent for us

keith

Les Barrett followed by Clive Walker.

Stevieboy

I can remember in the days of no overpriced replica shirts having a white football shirt with the old crest badge sewn on and two black strips on the back as my Les Barrett shirt.......was something special in those days....if only I'd patented the idea.......Rodders we would have been miwyonairs!! 064.gif

grandad

I say Tosh as it was him that convinced The Maestro to join us. However Barrett was the more consistent player.
My lasting memory of Tosh was when he was dithering with a throw in one of the old boys sat on the benches infront of the enclosure grabbed the ball & threw it on. The ref waved play on.
Where there's a will there's a wife

jarv

Nobody has mentioned Eddie Lewis. I wonder why?  Right wingers, how about Peter Marinello?

MikeW

"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I said hello to Tosh in Stoneleigh Broadway last week not for the first time. He has put on a hell of a lot of weight.

MJG

I have always had a soft spot for Ronny Goodlass, nowhere near the best but he sticks in the memory during his short spell.

Agree with others the Walker goal was one of our best ever I have seen live.

Id have to go with Boa as the best in my time.
Just the views of a long term fan