watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sheffield Wednesday charged by the EFL

Started by Friendsoffulham, November 14, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigalffc

I cannot think of any other business where the owners can be stopped from investing into it by threats of fines etc. This would be a major court case.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

MJG

Quote from: bigalffc on November 15, 2019, 01:02:07 PM
I cannot think of any other business where the owners can be stopped from investing into it by threats of fines etc. This would be a major court case.
They have spending limits in F1
Just the views of a long term fan

cookieg

The problem I see with this is when the owner decides to sell the club. The owner retains ownership of the  ground but sells the football club and can then charge as much rent as he wants which could cause problems for the club. Didn't Coventry have this sort of issue and Dulwich Hamlet? The club's aren't going to fall foul of GDP but their existence is put into jeopardy.

Statto

Quote from: MJG on November 15, 2019, 01:41:39 PM

But of course that is a flat limit on gross spending (as I understand it) rather than a limit on losses. So it only affects the richest teams. So it's pretty much the opposite of FFP in football, which primarily bites the aspirational smaller teams.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on November 15, 2019, 03:12:50 PM

But of course that is a flat limit on gross spending (as I understand it) rather than a limit on losses. So it only affects the richest teams. So it's pretty much the opposite of FFP in football, which primarily bites the aspirational smaller teams.

F1 Rules prevent the "big revenue teams" spending way more than "small revenue teams", but FFP rules effectively do the exact opposite. F1 and UEFA have exactly opposite definitions of fair play, i agree with F1s definition of fair limiting every teams ability to overspend.

Under FFP, if ManUtd decides to spend its maximium allowed by FFP, it would win the EPL by miles and miles.

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 15, 2019, 11:15:47 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 15, 2019, 03:12:50 PM

F1 Rules prevent the "big revenue teams" spending way more than "small revenue teams", but FFP rules effectively do the exact opposite. F1 and UEFA have exactly opposite definitions of fair play, i agree with F1s definition of fair limiting every teams ability to overspend.

Under FFP, if ManUtd decides to spend its maximium allowed by FFP, it would win the EPL by miles and miles.
I understand both replies but my point was there are limits, the don't have a free hands which seems to be what many here would want football clubs to have.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

The analogy with F1 principles is that the rules of the racing game are trying to increase competition rather than limit competition, something we do not see in football.  The limits of F1 are better seen translated via car shapes, sizes, weights, components and expenditure on technical developments which could be translated into facilities, coaching team sizes, squad types, squad sizes, individual registration types, total allowed registrations, squad ages, squad origins, total squad wages and total squad lengths of contract.  In other words strictly controlling the environment in which a team builds its competitive units via facilities, numbers and financial limits.

I am also unsure what the relationship is between media money and the individual members of F1 is but I would guess it is not like football.