watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

set pieces

Started by YankeeJim, November 16, 2019, 12:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

Tim Ream, yeh, that Tim Ream, just took a dead ball and curled it straight to the head of his fellow center half to make it 3 nil. Maybe Knockers should give the ball up and let Tim be our new secret weapon on the attack. LOL
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

YankeeJim

And then, something I've never seen. US takes a shot which bouncers around and than controlled by a Canadian at the corner of the net. He kicks the ball up to his head and than heads it to the keeper which according to the referee and the talking heads is illegal. The ref awards an indirect free kick to the US at the corner of the six yard box. Canada puts 11 men behind the ball. It looked like an under seven kids match. The ensuing kick careens about hitting several players before being cleared
Don't tell my fellow yanks, but football in the Americas is such a joke.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Matt10

I did not know about that trickery rule either, but in fact, it's true: http://asktheref.com/Soccer%20Rules/Question/28966/

Think it was a good match overall. Ream looked quite good on the left side. Playing the US out of trouble several times. One of my favorite players, Alfredo Morales, got some minutes in as well. Quite an underrated CDM that would be a great signing for us.

love4ffc

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 16, 2019, 01:04:09 AM
And then, something I've never seen. US takes a shot which bouncers around and than controlled by a Canadian at the corner of the net. He kicks the ball up to his head and than heads it to the keeper which according to the referee and the talking heads is illegal. The ref awards an indirect free kick to the US at the corner of the six yard box. Canada puts 11 men behind the ball. It looked like an under seven kids match. The ensuing kick careens about hitting several players before being cleared
Don't tell my fellow yanks, but football in the Americas is such a joke.

Where are the rules experts to explain this.  Sorry, but if I juggle the ball to my head and then head it back to the keeper, that seems legal. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

BigbadBillyMcKinley

I always thought heading the ball to a keeper was ok.

Bloody yanks, changing the rules and/or names of games for their own gains.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

Statto

The IFAB rules say it's "unsporting behaviour" if a player "uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law"

The IFAB is the international rule-making body, comprising the 4 British FAs (who have 1 vote each on decisions) and FIFA (who have 4 votes)

Happy to admit I never knew any of the foregoing before Googling it just now!

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on November 16, 2019, 12:58:56 PM
The IFAB rules say it's "unsporting behaviour" if a player "uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law"

The IFAB is the international rule-making body, comprising the 4 British FAs (who have 1 vote each on decisions) and FIFA (who have 4 votes)

I wonder if I should know this considering I was a high school referee for a number of years! In my defense, that was about 20 years ago...

Asotosyios

Quote from: Matt10 on November 16, 2019, 03:39:46 PM

I wonder if I should know this considering I was a high school referee for a number of years! In my defense, that was about 20 years ago...

We will let you off Matt  :dft012:

Were the goalkeepers allowed to catch the ball after a back pass 20 years ago? I can't remember when the rule changed.

filham

Those sort of rules would have taken half of Marsh and Best's game away from them.

love4ffc

Quote from: Matt10 on November 16, 2019, 03:39:46 PM

I took up to R8 level with my son and never heard it mentioned.  Seems Petty. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

BarryP

If you think about it the pass originated from the player's foot and the ball never left his possession. If nothing else it violates the spirit of the rule.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."