watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Forgetting the first 20 mins

Started by fulhamben, November 22, 2019, 10:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt10

Think we struggled mightily with their 3-5-2, that was basically pressuring as a 2-6-2 - completely clogging our outlets. Notice how we barely played that "slow possession" football that gets such a negative tone. We didn't have the time to.

Eventually, it seemed that Parker figured it out by placing Johansen and Reed much closer to each-other, and allowing Cairney to play as a CAM, then he chose to mix the flank play with Knock and Cava. This allowed TC to move the entire width of the pitch to serve as a point for each of our attacks, or at least moving their players out of position.

When Reed came out I was hoping that Johansen would take his role, and I was glad that was the case. I've been pushing for a 4-1-4-1 in which Johansen plays that deep DMF role, so he can be the playmaker like he showed multiple times in this match. Even when he couldn't find an outlet in the centre of the park, he put a little scoop, with some touch, into the path of TC - eventually setting up Cav, to hit the post. The benefit of moving StefJo to that role is that Reid can now play higher up and we can really create Havoc with Cav-Reid-Knock with AK/Mitro.

fulhamben

Quote from: Matt10 on November 22, 2019, 11:48:04 PM
Think we struggled mightily with their 3-5-2, that was basically pressuring as a 2-6-2 - completely clogging our outlets. Notice how we barely played that "slow possession" football that gets such a negative tone. We didn't have the time to.

Eventually, it seemed that Parker figured it out by placing Johansen and Reed much closer to each-other, and allowing Cairney to play as a CAM, then he chose to mix the flank play with Knock and Cava. This allowed TC to move the entire width of the pitch to serve as a point for each of our attacks, or at least moving their players out of position.

When Reed came out I was hoping that Johansen would take his role, and I was glad that was the case. I've been pushing for a 4-1-4-1 in which Johansen plays that deep DMF role, so he can be the playmaker like he showed multiple times in this match. Even when he couldn't find an outlet in the centre of the park, he put a little scoop, with some touch, into the path of TC - eventually setting up Cav, to hit the post. The benefit of moving StefJo to that role is that Reid can now play higher up and we can really create Havoc with Cav-Reid-Knock with AK/Mitro.
thats an interesting formation, certainly one I've never contemplated. Yes it could work with ak, but I'm not so sure it would with mitro. Mitro always looks out of sorts to me when he is isolated, which I imagine would happen rather a lot with that formation. Me personally, I just want to see ak and mitro on the pitch together more as mitro always seems to play better with ak doing the donkey work
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Matt10

Quote from: fulhamben on November 22, 2019, 11:55:08 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on November 22, 2019, 11:48:04 PM

thats an interesting formation, certainly one I've never contemplated. Yes it could work with ak, but I'm not so sure it would with mitro. Mitro always looks out of sorts to me when he is isolated, which I imagine would happen rather a lot with that formation. Me personally, I just want to see ak and mitro on the pitch together more as mitro always seems to play better with ak doing the donkey work

That's understandable. From a static point of view it would seem that Mitro would not get involved, but thankfully the game isn't just played on paper. We've used the 4-1-4-1 three times this year, and it's undefeated (2 W, 1 D).

Here I'd put Johansen where Arter is, then Reid takes his spot, and if we want to fill in Kamara, he takes Knock's spot. Only issue with it is how quickly we can recover defensively with Reid and Cairney, but offensively it's pretty strong.

Arthur

Quote from: Matt10 on November 23, 2019, 12:05:16 AM
Only issue with it is how quickly we can recover defensively with Reid and Cairney, but offensively it's pretty strong.

It's not a small issue though, is it? Away from home, in particular, defending turnovers of possession with only five outfield players could see the scoreline turn ugly.

Matt10

Quote from: Arthur on November 23, 2019, 01:16:47 AM
Quote from: Matt10 on November 23, 2019, 12:05:16 AM
Only issue with it is how quickly we can recover defensively with Reid and Cairney, but offensively it's pretty strong.

It's not a small issue though, is it? Away from home, in particular, defending turnovers of possession with only five outfield players could see the scoreline turn ugly.

Well no, no issue is a small one...which is why I am guessing how quickly we could recover. That applies to every type of attack we could come up with though. Tonight we played a 5-4-1 in the last 20 minutes of the match and were still under siege, not to mention exposed under their counters.

toshes mate

I am sorry to say that was not ninety minutes to relish.  Lucky to get the win in the end but I am constantly reminded that football is results oriented and so all is well, I suppose.

Andy S

Yes all is well but it is still bad that we conceded so early again and have to come from behind. Parker is the manager and he needs to do something about the situation in January. After last night it shows that we do have options up front