watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Abou - I was wrong

Started by 70sPimlico, November 26, 2019, 10:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

Let me quickly touch on why I thought he was sub par. It was based purely on his touch, spatial awareness and his decision making. I believed that if a player lacked these attributes at his age, they would never really improve.

Well, I have to doff my cap to the coaches and the man himself. They must have worked so hard. Speed and strength are nothing without these things. What I saw in the last two games is a good touch, good technique, awareness of the game round him and great decision making. If he keeps this up, coupled with his determination, speed and strength....blimey.

Gutted for him and for us that he came off. I can't believe I'm saying this but we are a lesser team without him.

I wonder if getting the likes of Ivan & Knockheart has helped him.

Twig

His first touch has improved immensely and I agree that's the big difference.

Bill2

copthornemike

Agree 100 % with the OP - he is proving a lot of us wrong at the moment I am pleased to say

toshes mate

AK has always had touch and awareness but could be somewhat clumsy which is probably why his decision making sometimes looks crazy.  For anyone who watches games closely he demonstrated a range of skills in Championship and PL for us, and was just as frustrated with the clumsier outcomes as we were.  He has only proven to be a problem to one manager and that manager may have been the reason why there was a problem rather than it being AK.  AK has always been OK in my books since he arrived here and its taken a long time for his contributions to be appreciated.

fulham traveller

All round game was superb,  great assist for BR goal, and is improving every week

Bassey the warrior

Very good performance last night. Mentally much more switched on.

Carborundum

He's box office.  Get the ball to him and see what he tries.  Sometimes it works, often it doesn't but there's not a lot the defender can do about it either way. 

At this level touch isn't about skill, it's about state of mind, acclimatisation to the level, relaxation and above all confidence.  Berbatov achieved a miraculous level by convincing himself that he was vastly better than everyone else (and granted, a fair bit of practice) but with the downside that he thought he was vastly better than everyone else.  AK47 is at the good end of that spectrum right now.  Keeping him grounded will be key.

Pace and acceleration are part of his game, but I can't recall seeing a player who is better at deceleration. There was one in preseason that was staggering.  That's what all those muscles are for.  Try it ten times in the park.  Run as quick as you can then stop as fast as you can.  Brutal on the core.

Delighted for him and us.  Two swallows don't make summer, but he's playing with measured aggression now and is all the better for it. 

bog

Have to say SP has had a lot to do with this. He could easily have sold him.   :54:

092.gif

Statto

Quote from: bog on November 27, 2019, 09:15:38 AM
Have to say SP has had a lot to do with this. He could easily have sold him.   :54:

092.gif

Tony Khan, Jokanovic and now Parker have seen/saw the good in him.

It's only Ranieri (and to be honest a good few posters on here) that didn't.

MJG

Always been a fan and stuck with him and tried to defend him as much as i could. So happy for him and hes a lot better player than people have every appreciated.
Just the views of a long term fan

FFC1987

Always thought there was a player there and glad we're starting to finally see it. Good attitude (as in hes passionate and wants to succeed) and has attributes people wish they had. Seems some good coaching is paying off. Lets just hope his injury is a short one. I have full faith in Knock coming back in though. 

colinwhite

Im converted ,great performance yesterday and last friday !

Spirit of 2000

encouraging performance and testament to the fact he can be coached and isn't entirely brainless as many of us feared. Now it's about consistency and hopefully he can keep his levels up & continue to improve his technical ability & footballing intelligence. If so, given his pace & power - he's potentially a very good player.

Statto

Don't really get the "finally the coaching is paying off..." comments.

If a Derby fan read this forum they'd be totally perplexed because when they last came to CC in May 2018, AK47 caused them nothing but grief, and last night he caused them nothing but grief, but for some reason, in the intervening year and a half, his own fans in SW6 seem to have decided that actually he's rubbish so now they're surprised to see him playing well.

Fulham1959

Quote from: Carborundum on November 27, 2019, 08:53:32 AM
He's box office.  Get the ball to him and see what he tries.  Sometimes it works, often it doesn't but there's not a lot the defender can do about it either way. 

At this level touch isn't about skill, it's about state of mind, acclimatisation to the level, relaxation and above all confidence.  Berbatov achieved a miraculous level by convincing himself that he was vastly better than everyone else (and granted, a fair bit of practice) but with the downside that he thought he was vastly better than everyone else.  AK47 is at the good end of that spectrum right now.  Keeping him grounded will be key.

Pace and acceleration are part of his game, but I can't recall seeing a player who is better at deceleration. There was one in preseason that was staggering.  That's what all those muscles are for.  Try it ten times in the park.  Run as quick as you can then stop as fast as you can.  Brutal on the core.

Delighted for him and us.  Two swallows don't make summer, but he's playing with measured aggression now and is all the better for it.

Excellent analysis !

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on November 27, 2019, 12:35:32 PM

If a Derby fan read this forum they'd be totally perplexed because when they last came to CC in May 2018, AK47 caused them nothing but grief, and last night he caused them nothing but grief, but for some reason, in the intervening year and a half, his own fans in SW6 seem to have decided that actually he's rubbish so now they're surprised to see him playing well.

I just think he looks better technically, and more confident on the ball than he did. He was pretty unpredictable before and often looked aimless but managing to get into decent positions through pace/strength alone. I just think hes added to his game which is testament to him and teh staff really.

Twig

Quote from: FFC1987 on November 27, 2019, 01:31:23 PM
Quote from: Statto on November 27, 2019, 12:35:32 PM

I just think he looks better technically, and more confident on the ball than he did. He was pretty unpredictable before and often looked aimless but managing to get into decent positions through pace/strength alone. I just think hes added to his game which is testament to him and teh staff really.

I agree with this. To me he has visibly improved some areas of technique.  I had doubted that any mature adult could improve significantly in some of those areas so I'm pleased and impressed by what I now see.  I too have put that down to coaching, I guess it could alternatively be some change in AK's mindset, I had just assumed it was a result of some very good coaching.

ByTheRiver

Sad to see him go off last night. Really think he has been a big difference in the otherwise pedestrian (at times) play.

Hate to be one of those 'told you so' types but was fighting his corner before the end of the season when folk were calling for him to be sold, loaned, not return from loan. I think people are quick to forget that the 23 game unbeaten run (and turnaround) started before Mitro and Targett arrived (admittedly that was a huge lift and I don't believe it would have happened without) and Abou was a HUGE part of that. He was playing tremendously (as in the last week) and it was almost a shame the timing of it (being Jan) and Mitro arriving.

Is he the finished article? No, as someone who was technically fantastic and everything else but with his physical attributes, would be playing Champions League level football.

Is he bloody good at this level (and, for me, with confidence and the right system/use, decent enough at Prem level - lower to middle)? Yes.

Matt10

I think the fact that he gained his confidence from playing as our striker against QPR blended into his solid performance as a winger last night is the best attribute. There does have to be some credit to Parker's system as well that allows our wingers to find themselves central and be influential. The fact that Kamara has now shown he can be dynamic positionally is a good thing for the club. Hopefully he can keep scoring goals and continue to challenge Knockaert for that RW spot.